Kayrinda

Winged RP

Tino stood up as Aeio came back.

"Okay, lets go." he said. Tino didn't say it, but the other people had indeed noticed, that he was not locals. Addition to that, he did looks suspicious.

Outside the mess hall, Tino extended his wings to their full length, stretching them.

"Nothing beats a good adventure!" he admitted to Aeio as he took flight.

~~~

Rena glanced back and suddenly noticed Connor and Alice weren't next to her, but behind her.

"Oh, sorry! So rude of me!" she apologized as she stopped to wait for them.

Taking off after Tino Aeio laughed in agreement, "I always love a good adventure!" As they soared up over the Keep Aeio asked Tino over the howling wind between them, "So where are these other settlements?" he asked thinking of other environments where Winged could survive.

Alice

She caught up to Rena. "It's alright I wasn't paying attention... There's so many people I haven't seen I just got distracted. And a bit nervous." Alice mumbled the end. She looked at Connor. "C'mon." She said in a small voice.

Tino heard Aeio and yelled back to him:

"Well, we have to go northwest, there's a settlement just next to the sea and very close to the icy plains - basically, nowhere where humans would like to be. I've also seen some settlements down in south, especially around the Rich Plains. Most of the settlements I've seen are in the Green Sea, though. Your settlement up in the mountains is the first I've seen, that's why I stuck around for a while; I was curious. Your Keep is defintely if not the biggest, at least one of the biggest and safest. I bet it would be better, if all the Winged would live around the mountains."

~~~

Rena looked at Alice with sympathy.

"I know it's tough. But you know what? The first day is the worst. Then you start to make friend in classes and the mess hall and then when you choose your job, you get to know the people who do the same job as you do." she told her.

"If you wanna make friends don't bother become a hunter, your always quiet out on the hunt. You never have the time to talk," Connor said, following behind the two.

"Not to mention if you get too good at your job and all the others do is inhibit you," Connor said glumly. He smiled at Alice.

"If you haven't guessed I'm a hunter. Now come on Rena, the poor girls gonna die of cold," Connor said in mock concern, briskly increasing his pace.

Rena hurried to her door and opened it. It was pleasantly warm in there, a few embers in the fireplace. Rena placed the old book into the shelf and then started to look for her old winter clothes. They were in her cupboard and still in an excellent shape. Maybe a tiiny-wiiny big for Alice, but that was all she had right at the moment.

"Hey Alice, are you fine with these clothes?" Rena asked, showing Alice some winter clothes with fur linings.

Adjusting his course Aeio frowned, "I don't know if these mountains could sustain whole other towns, but there is land past them that scouts are starting to chart, some could settle there."

((Can Tino and Aeio do their own personal timeskip? And Kayrinda, how many days do you think it would take for them to reach this other settlement?))

((Sure, as long as we remember how long they've gone compared to what is going on in Wind Keep.

I'd say it takes them a week by the least. Two weeks would probably be more realistic, considering the distance. The one at the Rich Plains would be two-three weeks.))

Tino smiled and gave a quick glance backwards, where the mountains were.

" 'T would be truly amazin', if we all could live there in peace... But th' humans know where we, or actually, ya live. They'll come back for ya. Us. Whatever, ya get my point." he said sadly.

"Th' thing's, they wanna know how we are winged. But what good does 't do, if even we dunno? We dunno, but they won't believe us. Typical for humans." Tino huffed.

"I mean, we're humans, kinda, but still not. We have wings. We're stronger an' smarter. So why 'n th' bloody blazes do we have wings? I doubt it's some sort o' a mutation, nor any sort of a disease..." he continued.

A moment of silence passed.

"I don't believe in gods or anythin', but this 's not natural. Maybe we were given wings. Like a gruesome gift o' some sort. But there's no supernatural beings 'n this world, not at least by anythin' I have discovered." Tino said and looked up the sky.

"Now that would be somethin' if a dude up there just decided t' give us wings."

Connor was surprised at how warm Renas house was, considering a blizzard had just passed and the fire was merely embers. He walked over to it and crouched down, playfully poking the fire. He had always loved fire, it was the most wondrous sight. When he was younger and his grandparents had built bonfires, he had enjoyed throwing wood onto the fire. In the streets the dancing flames had been his biggest comfort during the winter, providing heat light and entertainment. Looking at the small pile of embers he felt considerably less impressed at the dull coals. He looked around, and saw a small pile of logs in the corner. He knew that even the smallest wouldn't catch from mere embers.

"Hey Rena do you have any kindling?" He called over his shoulder. Before receiving an answer he picked up one of the smaller logs, pulled out his filleting knife and began to carve off thin curls of wood. He chucked a couple onto the fire followed by the remainder of the log. He then reached into his pocket and pulled out an old piece of copper cable. He cut a small section off and threw it into the fire. It took a little while for the flames to reach, but he watched as they slowly melted away the rubber and began to burn the wire. A grin spread across his face as he saw several green flames flare up at the back. He turned away and quickly;y began whittling more shavings to throw in to keep himself entertained while Rena tended to Alice.

Alice

"They're fine." She replied to Rena. Alice looked over to Connor and saw him working with the fire. "Can I see?' She asked amused by the flames. She waited for an answer to go over there... She knew it wasn't necessary but Alice felt it as right.

"Go on, he won't bite you for observing what he's doing... at least I hope so." Rena laughed and watched as the fire took life again.

"You obviously know your stuff, Connor. And I guess you would've gotten fire even if we were outside in a sleet storm and the wood was wet." she said as she went to the kitchen and started to prepare them warm drinks and some little snack to go with it.

Soryy I haven't been on a whole lot! busy

Shiko shivered and closed her eyes. Slowly, she fell asleep. Aliko looked at his friend. He thought Shiko still looked cold. "Hey, does anyone here have a blanket that Shiko could use?" Aliko asked. "I wonder when we get out of this shelter. He thought. It was cold outside, but he liked it better outside....when it was warmer, of course.

((First awkward post tongue.gif))

Anaya released a small sigh of relief as she spotted a large group of wild turkeys. She had been tracking the fowl for days now, and was relieved that she had finally caught up to them. Her wings beat silently as sue slowly descended towards them.

Gripping the sleek handle of her bow, she carefully drew a barbed arrow from her quiver and notched it on the bowstring. Her gloved fingers curled around the nock and she scanned for a target. Taught to target males above potentially pregnant females, she honed in on a rather fat male lagging behind the group. It was limping from a fresh wound on it's foot; likely from a fox or cat.

Adjusting her angle slihtly, Anaya forced her movement to a halt and hovered midair. She drew the bow, corded muscles straining slightly in her arm. She touched the feathered nock to the corner of her mouth and aligned the arrowhead with the turkey's head. Only allowing herself a moment to account for wind, she took a deep breath and fired.

Rena came back from the kitchen, holding a tray with three cups of steaming-hot drinks and some cookies on a plate.

"Here you go! If not anything, the drink will keep you warm for a while." Rena said as she put the tray sown on a small table and offered the cups to Alice and Connor before taking her own.

"Cheers!" she smiled.

~~~

((Tino and Aeio have a tiny timeskip forward.))

Tino opened his eyes and yawned silently as the rays of the sun hit his eyes. He and Aeio had been flying almost non-stop for two days, so they had to stop and sleep for a while - in a tree. Which wasn't comfortable, but the ground was cold and he, as an hunter, preferred to have the higher ground, or tree, in this case. The days were getting steadily shorter, as winter crept closer and closer. Soon the night would be longer than the day.

Tino carefully stood up on the thick branch, careful not to lose his balance and to warm up his aching muscles. Even his wings felt a little bit tired for the long flying trip. And he was hungry. But they should be getting closer to the other settlement - his town of winged people - Storm's End. The name came from the fact that around the area where the town was hidden, storms were very common, due to the warm air from the sea and the cold air from the north. Even now Tino could smell the on-coming rain.

"Good mornin', Aeio. Raise an' shine, we have t' leave now an' hunt. We ain't got a lot o' food, so I'll have t' hunt. Then, after we've eaten, we should try to reach Storm's End before night falls. Storm's comin'." Tino said as he fluttered to the very top of the pine tree they had used as a sleeping place.

Alice

She took a cup and stared at the smile before noticing anything else. "Oh, Cheers!?" She said confused. Alice has never heard of this type of thing. Her head turned to watch the blazing fire as it sparked with life, breathing life.

The arrow spang from the bowstring with a soft twang and whizzed toward it's target. The turkey fell without an audible noise in the snow. The rest of the group only scattered when Anaya descended low enough for them to sense her. The girl landed soundlessly and moved to the carcass. The arrow protruded from the bird's eye, and half of the shaft sticking out the other end.

Careful not to damage the arrow, she pulled it from the birds head, cleaned it briefly in the snow, and replaced it in the quiver. Slinging the bow over her shoulders, Anaya quickly glanced around for any early scavengers before putting the bird in her game bag. Seeing no way of finding other turkeys in a timely manner, she took off once more, with difficulty due to the added weight, back towards the Keep.

Her wings were sore and cold by the time the Keep was in sight. Anaya longed for a fire to rest by and a hot meal as reward for her success. Of course, her first stop was the butcher's. The owl wings slowed until her feet touhed the cobblestone pathway of the marketplace, and she made for the shop with the butcher's knife on the sign.

((Hyvää joulua, kaikki! Merry Christmas, you all! biggrin.gif Here in Finland we get our presents on the 24th evening, and we eat a lot after that and stay up late! Enjoy your Christmas too! ;D Where is Santa Claus from, according to you? We say he comes from Korvatunturi, a mountain in Lapland on the very edge of the Finnish and Russian border.))

Rena tilted her head a little and looked at Alice.

"Cheers, like, cheer up with the drink." she said, nodding to the cup of glögi she was holding in her hands.

(Have you read the comic Scandinavia and the World, I think I remember reading a strip which detailed several countries Christmas traditions? And here in Aus we don't really care where Mr Claus came from, all we know is it's in the north)

Connor raised his own glass.

"Salut, to express good will and or respect. At least I think that's what it means," He lifted up his glass and drank. The flavour was interesting, to say the least; it was unlike anything he'd had before.

"Is there any alcohol in this?" Connor asked, looking up from his glass.

Edited by Marcus Pheonix

((SATW? Yes, I have! biggrin.gif The artist is a Dane herself, so the comics she does are accurate! ^^ Love them!))

Rena shook her head.

"Nah, I don't like the taste of alcohol with it. You can try and snatch some booze from your hidden treasury or something, because I have none in my house." she said, grinning.

"So yeah, non-alcoholic drink, so we younger people can drink with a good self-consciousness." Rena added to Alice.

(I knew she was a Dane, I do read it)

Connor laughed. "You do remember that up until, a couple of days ago I was living on the streets," he said, leaning forward. "If I did drink alcohol, which I don't, other than special occasions, I wouldn't keep it out in the open where anyone can get it". Connor paused to take another sip.

"In any case I'm installing the treasury in a few days. I want to have some place to store all the meat I get so that I can really make the cooks beg!" Connor said, he raised his head and laughed maniacally.

"Now that's just plain mean." Rena gasped in an exaggerated manner, as if she really was angry at Connor.

"The cooks make food for all of us, so it would be just right to share your catch." she continued with a grin.

"Which reminds me, I believe you have hunting to do? What do you say, if Alice and I come with you - she needs to see a whole lot of jobs before she can choose one. We will be as quiet as... falling snow." Rena said, winking to Alice. "Right?"

Connor shrugged.

"There are two sides to that Alice. First it's harder to find the prey, because they will be hiding somewhere to be safe from predators. And if I do happen to find them, they're asleep, making it considerably easier to kill them. However, the other predators are more likely to be hunting at night then day time, so I'll have strong competition, and if I start to fillet the prey I might become prey myself as the other predators in the area are drawn to the smell of fresh meat," Connor said.

He then turned his gaze back to Rena, "I understand that she should have a taste of other jobs before she chooses, but hunting and scouting are both serious business. She's far too young to be out hunting with me, it would probably better for you to show her what you do first. Which makes me wonder, why do you want to come along, your a competent flyer, but not a hunter. Keeping one inexperienced person alive while out hunting is hard enough, with out having a second, larger target, no offense." Connor said.

"And you say you'll be quiet, the majority of the animals there use smell over hearing as the whisper of the wind can often cover an animals sound. They'll be able to smell you, especially if you're upwind," Connor continued, he took one last swig of his drink and sighed appreciatively.

"I'd be happy to show Alice what I do, it'd always be good to have another competent hunter. But she needs to be more experienced first, sorry" He finished, speaking the last part to Alice directly. Connor sighed and stood up, dusting himself off.

"That was very nice Rena, thank you. But Alice is right, it's late and I'm tired. Permission to leave, mam?" Connor asked, performing a mock salute.

His eyes flickering open Aeio wings snapped out before he was fully awake and he writhed before falling from the pine they were sleeping in. Jumping back up to his feet Aeio's eyes quickly took in everything around him and he calmed down as he recognized where he was. Looking for Tino, Aeio found that he had accidentally hit Tino with one of his wings, "Sorry." Aeio said, rubbing the back of his head, "Bad dream."

Rena nodded, agreeing with pretty much everything Connor said.

"It's okay, Alice. Tomorrow, I'll take you with me to teach the younglings to fly. After that, we can go to the forest and find some herbs, if any are still alive under the snow" she thought out loud.

"Yes, sir, you have my leave." she replied to him with a sense of humor. "Have a lovely evening."

~~~

Tino raised an eyebrow but didn't say anything for a while.

"What kind o' a bad dream was 't?" he asked after a moment, his eyebrows in a slight frown. Not that Tino was angry at Aeio, but... Nightmares were something he took seriously, funny as it seemed.