Steve44

Personal wishlist

I have been playing DC for a few years now, and I have developed a full administration in Excel for it: which dragons are there? How many do I want? How many do I have? What kind of spread? Some lineages I would like.... but it becomes a hassle to keep it up to date offline.

It would be nice if DC had at least some of these functions, integrated with the scroll. So I would like to plead for a type of "planner" that allows you to:

* Create a wishlist based on breed, gender and stage (for instance: I want a male and female of each plus one hatchling per gender, plus one ungendered hatchling)

* Design a lineage and create a wishlist from that: for this lineage to be complete: catch x dragons type YYY from the cave, breed ZZZ dragons.

* A wishlist per BSA: I have 7 eggslots, so I need XX Incubates ....

These wishlists could be "ticked off" automatically as you catch from the cave.

It would need a lot of work to create such a planner, synchronize with all the dragons and BSAs, blahblah-technical-stuff, but yeah, the general idea is quite nice.

Two words:

Server strain....

Five words:

are you tj in disguise?

Only TJ can be the final arbiter on that. Dismissing an idea like that is bad style as well as it is uninformed.

Two words:

Server strain....

No. No it wouldn't. Something like this would NOT cause strain in the slightest.

The idea of a wishlist is nice. Even a very basic wishlist would be nice, though. You know, have a number 1-50 and by each number a dropdown of what kind of dragon you need and then a note next to that. Very time consuming to code, but easy overall.

I'd want one. I have one that's floating somewhere in some post on the forum. I forgot to save it and there's 500+ posts on each of those wishlist postings so I just kind of let it go. They're kind of a pain on the forum.

Five words:

are you tj in disguise?

Only TJ can be the final arbiter on that. Dismissing an idea like that is bad style as well as it is uninformed.

No - it was a question as much as anything ! But for lineages and so on - I would have thought - but I admit I am no programmer...

I currently keep my wishlist offsite, which can be a bit tricky if people actually want to look at it! If there was a practical way this idea could be implemented onsite, I'd make good use of it.

ETA: I worded that in a slightly confusing way. Fixed. laugh.gif

Edited by LibbyLishly

I would love to have something like this on-site. I'm currently *trying* to get myself to use Excel, but it seems like so much work, lol.

Personally I would like this. Just because something is currently offsite doesn't mean that it should always remain as such.

I agree an on-account wishlist would be nice.

*However* (and no I'm not TJ, ha ha) they specifics that the OP wants would *most likely* add to the server strain, even if only by a small amount. "Design a lineage", how exactly is the OP envisioning that? Because if you're talking about thousands of users actually *designing* lineages through place-holder images of dragons and drag-and-drop or however you do it... I can't imagine that doing absolutely zilch to server strain.

Biggest server strain, and problem in general with this suggestion in my mind, would be the fact that the system would have to be updated EVERY SINGLE MONTH when new releases come, if we are talking about an up-to-date wishlist function.

I agree that automatic updates to the wishlist might add to server strain, but in general a wishlist and lineage planner should reduce the server load.

Example: I am bored for one hour. I either refresh the AP or Biomes for 60 minutes, which results in about 3600 page loads (60 minutes * 60 seconds / refresh every second)

Alternatively, I want to edit a lineage plan.

Edit Lineage = Load Lineage (a few pages loaded), Shuffle around like in custom sort with Javascript (=no page loads, only the images which are hopefully cached) and then save it. Say 10 Minutes to draw a lineage i really like? => Thats 10 Minutes less of hunting.

Alternatively, I want to edit my wishlist.

Load Wishlist takes a few pages to get to. Then you have dropdowns, notes (=text, local) and then a save button. Let's say 5 minutes to update you wishlist. Thats again, 5 minutes you did not hunt.

So, anyone not hunting , be it in cave or AP, lessens the load, no matter what he or she does on DC. Even if it is something that would cause strain, it can never be as bad as hunting. That's why trading and breeding is also good for the server. It has a lot less requests, a lot less mindless clicking.

A neat idea.

If TJ has enough space on the server to store all that extra data. I agree that it will not put strain on the server, as in sending out data and responding to requests, but it will at to the amount of data that is needed for every scroll. We can only guess on how much more data this will need, and how TJ has organized the data.

It might be usefull to elaborate in which way the wishlist and lineage maker would work.

Do we get to see a page with all dragons available? All stages and alts? And write Numbers on how many we want from each? And after saving we will see, how much we still need?

I would like a wishlist that could be accessed easily by others and not "cleaned"

although the forum profile does have some space---- but one that scroll viewers could see might be nice- increase sources for the dragons you need biggrin.gif

TJ needs to figure out how lineages will be displayed before he can add a lineage template/planner wink.gif

For the basic wishlist I use the 'interest' section in my profile here on the forums. More complex things like lineage planning, I use an Excel Spreadsheet on my computer. Thus, I don't see the point in this suggestion....