gistofeverything

ANSWERED:Trophy (Really, Badge) Case

It was kind of both. But I'm glad we agree smile.gif

It was kind of both. But I'm glad we agree smile.gif
It's good that we agree.

What were you thinking would happen when someone doesn't have trophy case enabled? Would the empty trophy case always be on their scroll and if they click it it takes them to the settings page to turn it on? Because I feel like it'd be confusing if it's not made obvious that the reason you're at the settings page is to enable the trophy case. Or would it just not be on their scroll and they need to know to go into settings to turn it on?

That's why I came up with all of those messages. So that if the user can't read the news threads, they still know what's going on and aren't confused.

Completely different topic:

Would it make sense for your own trophy case to be at dragcave.net/trophies and other user's trophy cases at dragcave.net/user/(user's name)/trophies? I feel like that sort of matches how /dragons and /user works, right?

Sorry that if I'm not making much sense. (I'm very tired...)

Edited by Vrack

I like seeing all my badges and trophies on my main scroll, even if they eventually run over into two (or more) lines... I wouldn't like to have to click another link to see them all. So, I would prefer this to be optional, if it were introduced.

This. I like the badge line as it is.

I think if you don't enable it, it wouldn't be there at all, and your trophies would all still clutter up your scroll - and so it would be painfully obvious who had and who hadn't. I guess people could find out about it by looking at someone else's scroll who had it enabled, and if they clicked it out of curiosity, it could say "enable yours now HERE (link)" ? It can also show up under scroll settings, and on the help page.

I think you've gone one step too far with your links - trick or treat I just tested on someone else's scroll and on mine and you get either

http://dragcave.net/trickortreat

when you are logged in and view your own, or

http://dragcave.net/trickortreat/flurp when you are looking at (say) mine. But that principle would be the best way, I agree.

I think an all or nothing situation with the trophy case would be a shame. I think being able to "display" specific individual mini trophies IN the case is kind of ridiculous, but I do think the user should be able to choose which trophies to hide away in the case and which to display more prominently on their scroll.

If it was an all or none situation, I'd probably choose none, even though I really would like to reduce the number of trophies shown, especially as the numbers inevitably increase.

I don't think the case needs visible handles. And not having visible handles doesn't necessarily mean that the case has -no- handles, just that they're small enough or designed in a way that they don't show up in the little sprite.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

I think an all or nothing situation with the trophy case would be a shame.  I think being able to "display" specific individual mini trophies IN the case is kind of ridiculous, but I do think the user should be able to choose which trophies to hide away in the case and which to display more prominently on their scroll.

If it was an all or none situation, I'd probably choose none, even though I really would like to reduce the number of trophies shown, especially as the numbers inevitably increase.

I don't think the case needs visible handles.  And not having visible handles doesn't necessarily mean that the case has -no- handles, just that they're small enough or designed in a way that they don't show up in the little sprite.

I understand where you're coming from. How would you suggest people choose what trophies to put in their trophy case? Would it be a checkbox with the trophy next to it? And checking it puts that trophy into the case and off of your scroll? I feel like that'd work fairly well. So if none of the trophies are checked off the trophy case doesn't show up on your scroll.

I think if you don't enable it, it wouldn't be there at all, and your trophies would all still clutter up your scroll - and so it would be painfully obvious who had and who hadn't. I guess people could find out about it by looking at someone else's scroll who had it enabled, and if they clicked it out of curiosity, it could say "enable yours now HERE (link)" ? It can also show up under scroll settings, and on the help page.

I think you've gone one step too far with your links - trick or treat I just tested on someone else's scroll and on mine and you get either

http://dragcave.net/trickortreat

when you are logged in and view your own, or

http://dragcave.net/trickortreat/flurp when you are looking at (say) mine. But that principle would be the best way, I agree.

So, for the trophy case it would be this: http://dragcave.net/trophies when you're logged in and viewing your own, and http://dragcave.net/trophies/Vrack when looking at (say) mine. That sounds like a good way for the links to work.

What would happen if someone manually types in http://dragcave.net/trophies when they don't have their trophy case turned on? If we're trying to stick with how other badge pages work, it should go to a custom 404 page. So it'd probably say something like "404 Trophy Not Found".

Edited by Vrack

This sound good?

• The trophy case modification page (where you choose which trophies to store there) would be reached by a trophy case at the front of the trophies list on the /dragons page and would be /trophies. It would contain all trophies the player owns with a check box next to each to select which ones to put in the case. Maybe it could have an "automatically store all trophies" option.
  • To view someone else's trophies (or your own trophy page as others would see it) would be /trophies/username, and the trophy case on the /user/username page would link there.
  • If someone doesn't have any trophies in their case, the case doesn't show up for other users to avoid clutter and confusion, and trying to go there using URL modification would get an error page.

Pretty simple and straightforward and avoids sticking something else into the /account page.

[*]If someone doesn't have any trophies in their case, the case doesn't show up for other users to avoid clutter and confusion, and trying to go there using URL modification would get an error page.

Which is exactly like people who haven't collected any treats or valentines.

This sound good?

The trophy case modification page (where you choose which trophies to store there) would be reached by a trophy case at the front of the trophies list on the /dragons page and would be /trophies.  It would contain all trophies the player owns with a check box next to each to select which ones to put in the case.  Maybe it could have an "automatically store all trophies" option.

To view someone else's trophies (or your own trophy page as others would see it) would be /trophies/username, and the trophy case on the /user/username page would link there.

If someone doesn't have any trophies in their case, the case doesn't show up for other users to avoid clutter and confusion, and trying to go there using URL modification would get an error page.

Pretty simple and straightforward and avoids sticking something else into the /account page.

That all sounds good except how so you view your own trophies? Shouldn't /trophies bring you to a page like /trickortreat with all of your trophies on it? Or are you suggesting the the only way to view your trophy case is by going to your scroll using /user/username and then clicking the trophy case there? I don't think that makes much sense continuity-wise.

I feel like it doesn't make much sense to have settings in two different places. Why not just have /trophies work the same way that /trickortreat does?

Also, how do you get to /trophies without url modification for the first time? Is the trophy case in your trophy list until you click it for the first time and decide whether or not to enable the trophy case? Because I thought the idea was people don't have to turn it off, they just have turn it on if they want it.

Edited by Vrack

Probably a link in the /trophies page "View your trophies" that would take you to the /trophies/username page. Like how you have a link that lets you view your scroll like others see it on your /dragons page.

Either that or your /trophies page lets you see your trophies and has a link to like /modifytrophies that would let you change things up. Is that better?

Probably a link in the /trophies page "View your trophies" that would take you to the /trophies/username page. Like how you have a link that lets you view your scroll like others see it on your /dragons page.

Either that or your /trophies page lets you see your trophies and has a link to like /modifytrophies that would let you change things up. Is that better?

That'd definitely work. I'm just not sure why you don't want the settings to be on the same page as all of the other settings. Wouldn't it make more sense to have them in the same place? Why mix it up?

It doesn't really matter what we decide on because TJ will probably end up choosing to do the settings the way he wants to do them. All we can do is provide ideas that we think would work. I just want to make sure we've found at least one solution for any problem that might arise.

The settings page is just so crowded as it is, it just makes sense to me to have how to modify it related to the item itself. But yea, TJ can decide what makes the most sense to him.

The settings page is just so crowded as it is, it just makes sense to me to have how to modify it related to the item itself.  But yea, TJ can decide what makes the most sense to him.
That makes sense. thumbs_up.png

Here is a compilation of all the information for this request:

Trophies are a great part of this game and each holiday event we earn more and more. But the top of many people's scrolls are becoming cluttered with what will soon become two lines of trophies. This request suggests an option to move one's trophies into a "trophy case."

How to enable/turn it on for the first time: One way it was suggested this be done is the empty trophy case (image A) shows up at the top of every user's scroll, visible to just them. When they click it they are prompted to turn the trophy case on or off. Depending on their answer different things happen (read below for more details).

Another way the trophy case could be enabled is it doesn't show up at the top of a user's scroll. Instead, they have to know to go into settings and enable it. The only worry with this option is that users who don't check the forum won't know about it. But the same is true with any new feature that's added so there's not much that can be done.

How to change its settings: There has been some dispute over whether the settings should be on the trophy page somewhere or on the account settings page. Either way, somewhere there has to be a way to turn the trophy case badge on and off.

What are the options? In its most simple form, the trophy case's only setting is turning it on and off. One extra option that was brought up was that each badge/trophy could have a checkbox next to it in settings. If it's checked, the trophy does not show up at the top of the user's scroll, it's instead shown on the trophy case page. This would not change what the sprite looks like, it would simply allow people to choose to keep certain trophies at the top of their scroll. If this option were to be used, it would make sense to have a check box that sets it so that all new trophies automatically get "put into" the trophy case.

What happens when it's enabled: All (except for the level trophy) or some of a user's trophies are removed from the top of their scroll and are instead shown on a trophy case page that looks similar to the Trick-or-Treat and Valentine pages. A trophy case sprite is added to the line of trophies/badges. When the user has less than five trophies the empty trophy case (image A) is used. When the user has 5 or more trophies the trophy case full of generic trophies is used (image B ).

What happens when it's disabled: All trophies appear as normal at the top of a user's scroll. They do not have the trophy badge.

How to get to the page: A badge is added to the top of a user's scroll that looks like a trophy case (images A & B ). When one clicks the trophy case on their own scroll it brings them to a page very similar the trick or treat page. The difference is it has their trophies on it rather than thing they picked up during the trick or treat event.

A - (an empty trophy case for users who don't have 5 trophies yet & as the default image for its release and any other uses): user posted image

B - (a trophy case with generic trophies for users with 5 or more trophies): user posted image

Am I missing anything?

SOME people seem to want an indication that they Have Everything - but I think that's unmanageable, as there are new ones all the time, that would have to be re-coded - unnecessary effort for TJ, I think.

SOME people seem to want an indication that they Have Everything - but I think that's unmanageable, as there are new ones all the time, that would have to be re-coded - unnecessary effort for TJ, I think.

Here is a compilation of all the information for this request:

Trophies are a great part of this game and each holiday event we earn more and more. But the top of many people's scrolls are becoming cluttered with what will soon become two lines of trophies. This request suggests an option to move one's trophies into a "trophy case."

How to enable/turn it on for the first time: One way it was suggested this be done is the empty trophy case (image A) shows up at the top of every user's scroll, visible to just them. When they click it they are prompted to turn the trophy case on or off. Depending on their answer different things happen (read below for more details).

Another way the trophy case could be enabled is it doesn't show up at the top of a user's scroll. Instead, they have to know to go into settings and enable it. The only worry with this option is that users who don't check the forum won't know about it. But the same is true with any new feature that's added so there's not much that can be done.

How to change its settings: There has been some dispute over whether the settings should be on the trophy page somewhere or on the account settings page. Either way, somewhere there has to be a way to turn the trophy case badge on and off.

What are the options? In its most simple form, the trophy case's only setting is turning it on and off.

One extra option that was brought up was that each badge/trophy could have a checkbox next to it in settings. If it's checked, the trophy does not show up at the top of the user's scroll, it's instead shown on the trophy case page. This would not change what the sprite looks like, it would simply allow people to choose to keep certain trophies at the top of their scroll. If this option were to be used, it would make sense to have a check box that sets it so that all new trophies automatically get "put into" the trophy case.

Another idea that was thought of is based on a test image made by Vrack (image C). This trophy case has tinified versions of actual trophies available to win. The idea is that the trophy case badge would fill up with tiny versions of the actual trophies. However, this is not what the original suggestion is about and so should not be implemented.

What happens when it's enabled: All (except for the level trophy) or some of a user's trophies are removed from the top of their scroll and are instead shown on a trophy case page that looks similar to the Trick-or-Treat and Valentine pages. A trophy case sprite is added to the line of trophies/badges. When the user has less than five trophies the empty trophy case (image A) is used. When the user has 5 or more trophies the trophy case full of generic trophies is used (image B ).

What happens when it's disabled: All trophies appear as normal at the top of a user's scroll. They do not have the trophy badge.

How to get to the page: A badge is added to the top of a user's scroll that looks like a trophy case (images A & B ). When one clicks the trophy case on their own scroll it brings them to a page very similar the trick or treat page. The difference is it has their trophies on it rather than thing they picked up during the trick or treat event.

A - (an empty trophy case for users who don't have 5 trophies yet & as the default image for its release and any other uses): user posted image

B - (a trophy case with generic trophies for users with 5 or more trophies): user posted image

C - (a trophy case made as a test to see how tiny trophies would look; not meant for use in game): user posted image

Am I missing anything?

I know - but some people want it to show "HEY LOOK AT ME I HAVE EVERYTHING" - was all I was saying. I don't think it is feasible and I don't think it is necessary either. Just saying, OK ?

Why not have some sort of coded box or artsy box with a header that leads to all of them, and a certain amount that can be displayed? Like, one that shows the full sprites of 5 or 10. The box/image that holds them would be centered in the page, and fit in the coding. (:

I know - but some people want it to show "HEY LOOK AT ME I HAVE EVERYTHING" - was all I was saying. I don't think it is feasible and I don't think it is necessary either. Just saying, OK ?
Ok... I'm not sure why you've responded so heatedly. I wasn't trying to make a jab at you or anything. I was just updating the information to include the fact you mentioned. I'm not sure why you had such a heated response, I apologize if I made it seem like I was being rude to you; I know I have a problem with accidentally writing things in a way that seems rude. If I do it again, please let me know, I'll try to explain myself better. Edited by Vrack

Somehow I think the people who want people to be able to see how many trophies they have would use this suggestion by ignoring it and keeping all their trophies on display.

I feel like it's a too late in the process of this request to try and completely change how it works/what's being suggested. If you really feel passionate about the specific mechanic that you're describing, I'd suggest making a new request entitled "Show off specific trophies" or something of that sort.

It's definitely not too late. You may be done working your version of the suggestion, but that doesn't mean nobody else is allowed to comment on what they'd like/prefer. Your vision, like everyone else posting here, is merely a suggestion. You do not have to work on their vision, but you can't tell other people they're not allowed to work on it either. =\ As their suggestion fits this thread, any discussion or work done it it is fully acceptable.

Why not have some sort of coded box or artsy box with a header that leads to all of them, and a certain amount that can be displayed? Like, one that shows the full sprites of 5 or 10. The box/image that holds them would be centered in the page, and fit in the coding. (:

Tbh, I'm really confused by what you mean. Could you expand a bit?

I'm not sure what you mean by coded box or what you're picturing for the header. And is the amount of badges shown user determined or site determined? What if you have more badges than the box can hold? The box is centered on what page? I'm sorry, I've had a long day. My brain is splat. =X

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

It's definitely not too late. You may be done working your version of the suggestion, but that doesn't mean nobody else is allowed to comment on what they'd like/prefer. Your vision, like everyone else posting here, is merely a suggestion. You do not have to work on their vision, but you can't tell other people they're not allowed to work on it either. =\ As their suggestion fits this thread, any discussion or work done it it is fully acceptable.

Sorry. I was just really hoping we could get this request finished. It's a really great idea and I want to see it in the cave.

Of course, you're right. I don't have the right to tell someone it's too late. So now I'll give feedback on the new idea.

Tbh, I'm really confused by what you mean. Could you expand a bit?

I'm not sure what you mean by coded box or what you're picturing for the header. And is the amount of badges shown user determined or site determined? What if you have more badges than the box can hold? The box is centered on what page? I'm sorry, I've had a long day. My brain is splat. =X

I agree, this idea needs to be fleshed out some more. To me, it seems like you're suggesting that a header be added at the top of the scroll that contains a certain amount of trophies that, when clicked, links to a page with the rest of the trophies? What would the header of the box say? Could you possibly make a mockup of what you're thinking?

I'm not sure, but I feel like a flashy header at the top of every scroll would distract from the thing that's meant to be viewed there, the dragons. To me, the scroll is meant to mainly show off a person's dragons. I feel like that's why the line of trophies is so small, so that people know that the scroll is mainly about the dragons.

Sorry. I was just really hoping we could get this request finished. It's a really great idea and I want to see it in the cave.

Just a quick note that Suggestions isn't DR. There is no "finishing" them. There's continued discussion on them until TJ either decides it's absolutely not going to happen and closes the thread or TJ implements it. So there's no deadline to rush to.

Just a quick note that Suggestions isn't DR. There is no "finishing" them. There's continued discussion on them until TJ either decides it's absolutely not going to happen and closes the thread or TJ implements it. So there's no deadline to rush to.

I spend so much time switching between those two parts of the forum that I get them mixed up... I'll be sure to keep that in mind from now on.

Also, I forgot to post about this:

user posted image -> user posted image

I fixed up the contrast with the purple trophy. I included it in the compiled posts I made but never actually said that I had made changes.

I probably won't be posting as much in here until the other idea begins to ramp up more. I'll be sure to check the thread to see if there's any feedback on the trophy cases or if any help is needed with making a header for the other idea. But I probably won't be posting daily anymore.

Ok... I'm not sure why you've responded so heatedly. I wasn't trying to make a jab at you or anything. I was just updating the information to include the fact you mentioned. I'm not sure why you had such a heated response, I apologize if I made it seem like I was being rude to you; I know I have a problem with accidentally writing things in a way that seems rude. If I do it again, please let me know, I'll try to explain myself better.

Nah - that wasn't it at all ! Peace wub.gif ; you have PM explaining - I'm not deleting as I've been quoted and that throws a thread off ! And I think Pokemonfan13 is right - that kind of people will leave it all hanging out anyway !

I think it is all getting too complicated. I think it should be just - if you enable this, everything but your level trophy and PERHAPS any trophy current in use - as in the trick or treat over Hallowe'en, the current Val or Christmas one... - should go in there automatically, the end.

Anyone wondering what it is can click on one they see, and it would open up to show "Flurp's badges" - and COULD - if people think it's needed, have a link "Want a trophy case of your own ? Click here." Anyone who's logged in would then be taken to whatever page sets it up.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Bump for ideas relating to this idea? It needs a lot of clarification and a better explanation of how it'd work.