gistofeverything

ANSWERED:Trophy (Really, Badge) Case

Sorry for double posting; just thought this should be separate from my last post.

I made some slight adjustments to the opacity of the glass and how the seam of the doors looks (very minor stuff).

Anyway, here're the newest sprites:

user posted image / user posted image

Please feel free to give me feedback! I love when people give me feedback.

Support! And eek, the tiny little trophies are so adorable! :3 Perhaps the outlines of the wood could be lightened a bit? On such a small sprite, dark outlines make it look unshaded.

Support! And eek, the tiny little trophies are so adorable! :3 Perhaps the outlines of the wood could be lightened a bit? On such a small sprite, dark outlines make it look unshaded.
Ah! I didn't see this reply until just now! Sorry for not responding sooner.

Anyway, thank you for the crits!

What do you mean by the outline? Is that just the pixels on the edges of the sprite or is it all of the darker lines? Also, how light should they be made?

Never mind, here are the newest versions with a lighter outline:

user posted image/user posted image

Edited by Vrack

*looks at her scroll with room for maybe three more badges*

I'd still reeeaaaally like this.

Same here, and only if said trophies are fairly small ones. I figure that Christmas and Valentines Day will probably fill the space I have left. I have all the trophies but one so far (missed the Carrot Cave!), and proud of them, but I don't like the prospect of them starting another row on top of the scroll.

Edited by purplehaze

*looks at her scroll with room for maybe three more badges*

I'd still reeeaaaally like this.

Same here, and only if said trophies are fairly small ones. I figure that Christmas and Valentines Day will probably fill the space I have left. I have all the trophies but one so far (missed the Carrot Cave!), and proud of them, but I don't like the prospect of them starting another row on top of the scroll.

There was mention of another way of doing this idea where the badges are replaced with a banner or something. (?) I'm not really sure, it wasn't elaborated on a lot. Does anyone want to add more to that idea or what?

Personally, I think the trophy case badge idea matches the theme of the other badges more than a banner at the top of the scroll. Which leads me to ask if the current sprites still need revising. I'm pretty happy with them but I'd love to hear what others think. If the trophy case I've made doesn't match the other trophies/badges enough I'd be happy to work on it more to make it fit in better.

There was mention of another way of doing this idea where the badges are replaced with a banner or something. (?) I'm not really sure, it wasn't elaborated on a lot. Does anyone want to add more to that idea or what?

Personally, I think the trophy case badge idea matches the theme of the other badges more than a banner at the top of the scroll. Which leads me to ask if the current sprites still need revising. I'm pretty happy with them but I'd love to hear what others think. If the trophy case I've made doesn't match the other trophies/badges enough I'd be happy to work on it more to make it fit in better.

I think the current ones are lovely. And we need this before Christmas, I think ! I am another of those with everything (I think) and it IS getting a bit crowded.

I just found this thread and I think that a trophy case badge idea is great! I think that a second row of badges will make my scroll look too cluttered.

Could the trophy case be optional? For those of us who want it we could use it and for those who don't want it they wouldn't have to use it. Does that make sense?

Edit: grammar unsure.gif

Edited by Pinch of StarDust

I really like the idea of it being a cupboard badge, myself.

Would this still be - as someone suggested way back when - a case where you could put any trophies you WANTED to put in there, and leave out any that you wanted on your scroll as they are now ?

Edited by fuzzbucket

I don't have that many trophies, but I would like the cupboard too.

I do want the bronze/silver/gold trophy to remain outside of the cupboard though. I would very quickly get annoyed if I had to click on two things to see where I am in my limit (yes..I could count how many eggs and hatchlings I have, but I think it is easier when I just click on the trophy).

Would this still be =- as someone suggested way back when - a case where you could put any trophies you WANTED to put in there, and leave out any that you wanted on your scroll as they are now ?

I'm honestly not sure. It's really up to TJ in the end. The minimum amount of customizability would be having it on or off. Other than that, TJ can decide how much he wants to code.

However, if we make it a requirement that people be able to put specific trophies into the case and leave specific ones out I get the feeling this won't be accepted. I've seen in past requests that TJ is against extreme customizability.

Edit: (I found the quote)

Edit 2: (A summary of the wall of text below)

Essentially, making every little thing an option makes many things about development and support of the feature difficult. But that doesn't mean that options are bad, they just need to be well thought out and need to mean something.

Conclusion: It's likely fine if we say that having the Trophy Case should be an option. It's probably also fine if we make the decision that the Level Trophy should stay outside of the trophy case. But we shouldn't ask for it to be fully customizable with checkboxes or dropdowns to decide which trophies stay on the scroll. That's just too much of an extravagance to be worth making; especially when only a certain amount of users will notice it and think to use it.

Making your suggestion an option is easy. It's safe. It guarantees that no one can ever hate what you're suggesting--how could they ever disagree if they can just turn it off if they don't like it? It's completely understandable to fall into the trap of option hell, because seemingly everyone wins.

But do they? Let's see where things can go wrong:

Burden of more code: Each binary option (yes/no, on/off, however you want to label it) inherently forks the feature into two paths. If there are multiple options for a given feature, you've now got exponential growth going on. Every time that feature gets touched, attention must be paid to all possible combinations. There are more edge cases and thus more surfaces to test. Since this is a matter of exponential growth, it's not just something you can throw more people resources at and make things better (besides, people resources don't scale linearly).

Burden of support: Suddenly, in order to report a bug, it is necessary to know a user's entire "state." If your fertility page is failing, which selector style do you have? Do you have the Javascript version enabled? If so, ... and so on and so on. Again, everything becomes exponentially more difficult to reason about and whoever is trying to help out (probably the mods) needs a lot more information to figure out what's going on.

Burden of choice: It's pretty paralyzing to be presented with a wall of checkboxes and dropdowns that precisely tune every knob that can possibly be tuned. In most cases, people don't even care about 90% of the choices presented to them, but their mere existence adds to the cognitive burden and perceived difficulty of use of a piece of software.

None of this means that there should be no options. It does, however, mean that what is made into a choice needs to be very carefully curated so that the controls that are given to people are super-meaningful. What percentage of people will actually use each side of a toggle? If only 10% of people will use a feature, is it better to split time in a 1:9 ratio, or just simplify things and spend that extra time making the one option better for everyone? What about if it's 5%? 50%? There's no hard cutoff for how to spend time, but the tradeoffs are pretty obvious. How important does something have to be to people before their wish becomes an option? Even if people are split on an issue, if it's a minor issue, then why bother?

In general, I find that very few of the proposed options in this section fall on the correct side of the "worthiness" split. For the most part, you're better off accepting that not everyone will be pleased and focusing on making the overall experience better for everyone.

Edited by Vrack

Fair enough - I was just curious !

Yeah, I understand. (Sorry if it seemed like I was shutting you down. I was mainly excited that I had found that quote by TJ because it almost perfectly addresses what you were asking.)

Anyways, just in case anyone missed them, here are the newest trophy sprites:

user posted image / user posted image

As always, let me know if there're any problems or things you'd like changed.

First off I'm going to say that the top of my scroll is full on badges. I honestly thought the virus badge for Halloween was going to end up on a new line. That's rather messy looking to me. It did end up squeezing in there, so they all fit. But the row is completely full.

I would suggest two or three options for people.

Option 1: all the badges and trophies as they are now.

Option 2: scroll trophy at the top and everything else in the case. This could either be linked with a new icon or as Cinnamon suggested with a link on the <Cave.Account.Dragons.Help.Forum> line. (or both, but not as an option - it would be the same for everyone.)

Option 3: Scroll trophy and this calendar year's badges at the top of the scroll and everything else in the case.

Opinions on whether the trophy case or the text link would be preferred would be fine but I think at the end it would be up to TJ since he's coding the thing. I think either would be a good choice. We could have both the link and the icon though I don't see that as particularly desirable.

I'd rather the trophy badge stayed on scroll, to be honest. It can be useful for OTHERS, not just to see the limits - like the other day, when someone asked me to breed for them and I went to their scroll and they had five eggs. It was good to know that as they had a silver trophy, I could breed and not have to wait for them to pick up. Also I'd rather not see an IMAGE in among the text at the top of my scroll.

I want Vrack's lovely cupboard - but if the link is to be on the menu bar, it has to be text, for me. And I WANT that cupboard.

Edited by fuzzbucket

I love the trophy case idea, and the image is adorable. If we end up getting that in the badge line, I would not be unhappy.

But what if we could just consolidate by holiday? Say, keep the egg basket for the Spring event, the Jack-O-Lantern for the Halloween event, and one each of the holiday badges for the Winter and Valentine's events? Then, when you click on each link for the event, you would see all the badges for each year along the top. The 'extra' badges for random events could stay, like Magikarp, but the bulk of the badges would be grouped by regular holidays represented by a single badge. And, of course, the trophy badge would still link to limits.

Any thoughts?

Shala

I love the trophy case idea, and the image is adorable. If we end up getting that in the badge line, I would not be unhappy.

But what if we could just consolidate by holiday? Say, keep the egg basket for the Spring event, the Jack-O-Lantern for the Halloween event, and one each of the holiday badges for the Winter and Valentine's events? Then, when you click on each link for the event, you would see all the badges for each year along the top. The 'extra' badges for random events could stay, like Magikarp, but the bulk of the badges would be grouped by regular holidays represented by a single badge. And, of course, the trophy badge would still link to limits.

Any thoughts?

Shala

I really like that idea as a set option for showing some trophies but not all. And for the people who like to use their trophies to brag about how long they've been on the site, the exemplar trophies would be the oldest of each category.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

As someone said, making too many things a matter of choice might mean TJ nixing it...

And I WANT this !

That's the thing. Having a few set patterns for displaying some badges is less choice than giving the ability to display anything from none to all. But also gives some options for people who really would like more badges on display than just their level trophy and a badge case, but fewer badges than all of them.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

That's the thing. Having a few set patterns for displaying some badges is less choice than giving the ability to display anything from none to all. But also gives some options for people who really would like more badges on display than just their level trophy and a badge case, but fewer badges than all of them.

Oh right. I thought the original idea was that we choose if we want a case or not, and if we choose the case, everything goes in except the level trophy. If you don't want it, you keep the long line.

That's the thing.  Having a few set patterns for displaying some badges is less choice than giving the ability to display anything from none to all.  But also gives some options for people who really would like more badges on display than just their level trophy and a badge case, but fewer badges than all of them.

So the two or three options would be:

1. Level Trophy and Trophy Case in the trophy line; Trophy Case links to Trophies page

2. Level Trophy, Trophy Case, and first badge for each holiday/event; Trophy Case links to Trophies page with more expansive collection of event badges

3. All of the trophies lined up at the top of the scroll

That seems like a fair set of options. They don't make it completely customizable but still allows users to choose what they prefer. Of course, when TJ implements this, he can decide if he wants to have all three options or if he wants to leave out one of them.

Yes, something like that sounds about ideal in respect to allowing more than "all" or "none", but at the same time not going all out in customization. Maybe one more option, like the suggested one of this year's trophies, but not older ones.

First off I'm going to say that the top of my scroll is full on badges. I honestly thought the virus badge for Halloween was going to end up on a new line. That's rather messy looking to me. It did end up squeezing in there, so they all fit. But the row is completely full.

I would suggest two or three options for people.

Option 1: all the badges and trophies as they are now.

Option 2: scroll trophy at the top and everything else in the case. This could either be linked with a new icon or as Cinnamon suggested with a link on the <Cave.Account.Dragons.Help.Forum> line. (or both, but not as an option - it would be the same for everyone.)

Option 3: Scroll trophy and this calendar year's badges at the top of the scroll and everything else in the case.

Opinions on whether the trophy case or the text link would be preferred would be fine but I think at the end it would be up to TJ since he's coding the thing. I think either would be a good choice. We could have both the link and the icon though I don't see that as particularly desirable.

I agree with Fiona because I like it how it is now and I don't want to change it. So, multiple options would be the perfect solution, IMO.

I agree with Fiona because I like it how it is now and I don't want to change it. So, multiple options would be the perfect solution, IMO.

Will you feel that way when you get into your second line of badges though ? as I shall very shortly.