gistofeverything

ANSWERED:Trophy (Really, Badge) Case

I'd be surprised if TJ hasn't already considered this; support.

Definitely support! Of course it needs to be optional, but yeah, if we are going to continue collecting trophies/badges for Events, sooner or later it's just going to be way too cluttered (it already is, a bit). A case would be a nice option.

Yes indeed. Every time there is to be a new badge I wonder idly what happens when they fall off the end of the scroll xd.png

ETA but I too think the trophy should stay out there to be seen by all, and because we need it to click on before breeding and OOOOOOPS xd.png

Edited by fuzzbucket

I still support this idea, especially with a "case" to store them, or a "case" to store special ones, it allows us to have more badge options and more things we can "display" without overcrowding the top of our scrolls.

I dunno much about shading and stuff but uhm...

user posted image

I did this? Maybe it'll get people a little kickstarted? You guys can use it as a springboard or whatever you want really!<3

This sprite was made. However, it's too big. I could try and make a smaller version?

Even if the trophy case doesn't get used, I really like this idea and definitely support it.

Definitely support this if it's optional and has the level trophy excluded. biggrin.gif

I made a smaller trophy case:

user posted image -> user posted image

Here's what it looks like on the default skin:

user posted image

I tried to add some shading: (I've never done shading before so it's not that great)

user posted image

I also added a glare: (I'm not sure if it's needed...)

user posted image

Let me know what you guys think!

Edit: Added larger trophy case as comparison.

Edited by Vrack

Yes, please!

Cos in ~2 Badges I will be out of space dry.gif

user posted image

What do you think of the sprite(s) that I made? How could they be improved? Should the case fill up with tiny trophies as you add them to the trophy case page? Any feedback you can give would be awesome.

Edited by Vrack

I like your small case, but I think it should be even smaller (somewhere around the height of golden trophy from your screenshot).

As for tiny trophies, you mean like tiny dark silhouettes behind white glass (3~5 silhouettes in one raw)? Sure, it will take more work (spriting and coding), but the sprite will look more "alive".

I like your small case, but I think it should be even smaller (somewhere around the height of golden trophy from your screenshot).

As for tiny trophies, you mean like tiny dark silhouettes behind white glass (3~5 silhouettes in one raw)? Sure, it will take more work (spriting and coding), but the sprite will look more "alive".

It's already "around the height of the golden trophy." It's exactly one pixel taller than it. While you may think it's a very simple thing to make it one pixel shorter, doing so would ruin the shape of the case. It isn't so much taller that it's ruining the line of trophies; they already vary greatly in height and width.

Here are my attempts to make trophies inside the case:

user posted image

Here are the trophies without the case around them:

user posted image

In order, left-to-right top-to-bottom, these trophies are:

Gold Trophy

Silver Trophy

Bronze Trophy

Magikarp

Egg Basket

Trick-or-Treat

I'm not sure how well they came out but I tried. Feedback?

Aww, I think the case with little items is super cute! Users with less than six trophies have an empty case and users with more a full case?

(Since trophies link to the egg limits page, I would still like to have them displayed along the top of the scroll.)

I don't know that it is really important to be able to tell what the trophies in the case actually are. You just need to show that there are trophies in there. I like what you have done with the case. I think it only looks bigger than the gold trophy because it is squared off and fills the whole space, whereas the gold trophy tapers a lot at the top.

They are super cute. But I agree that the gold/silver/bronze trophy should remain outside the case by default. It's just too useful as a quick check to see if you are locked.

It might be better to have somewhat generic mini trophies in the case rather than trying to make minis of specific ones. Having specific ones just seems to open up a can of worms. What happens if someone has a "full" trophy case but doesn't have the magikarp badge? Should people be allowed to choose which trophies appear in the mini case? If so, that would entail making a mini version of every single possible trophy.

Thank you for all this input! The trophies that I made were mainly to see what people thought of them. I didn't feel like finding generic trophies from somewhere else so I just used ones that already existed on the site. I'll make a version with more generic trophies in it.

I feel like it was decided at one point that the gold/silver/bronze trophy would stay at the top of the scroll. Either way, the trophies I made were mainly tests that won't actually be used.

I can find pictures of trophies to use as a reference. However, if any of you know of a specific trophy that you'd want scaled down, let me know. The more help, the better.

Question: Do you guys think the trophy case needs to be "shaded?" I feel like it looks fine the way it is. It has some very minor differences in lights and darks based on a light source. Should I make that shading more prominent?

Edited by Vrack

Here're the new trophies:

user posted image

Two things:

1. I couldn't think of a sixth trophy to make. Could any of you suggest something to base it off of?

2. Should the handles be included in the final sprite? I haven't included them in this sprite because they cover parts of the trophies. Are they needed? Let me know.

Here're the new trophies:

user posted image

Two things:

1. I couldn't think of a sixth trophy to make. Could any of you suggest something to base it off of?

2. Should the handles be included in the final sprite? I haven't included them in this sprite because they cover parts of the trophies. Are they needed? Let me know.

No they aren't. And we don't actually NEED a sixth trophy. Because the space suggests there is scope to win more smile.gif

Edited by fuzzbucket

It's already "around the height of the golden trophy." It's exactly one pixel taller than it. While you may think it's a very simple thing to make it one pixel shorter, doing so would ruin the shape of the case. It isn't so much taller that it's ruining the line of trophies; they already vary greatly in height and width.

Here are my attempts to make trophies inside the case:

user posted image

Here are the trophies without the case around them:

user posted image

In order, left-to-right top-to-bottom, these trophies are:

Gold Trophy

Silver Trophy

Bronze Trophy

Magikarp

Egg Basket

Trick-or-Treat

I'm not sure how well they came out but I tried. Feedback?

I really like this suggested case, and the tiny trophies are super cute. *drools*

Do you think it's feasible to increase the width of the trophy case for people with more trophies so we can show off all of them? Either that, or add an extra trophy case for the next sixpack of trophies. Which can be repeated endlessly.

Olympe, I think the idea was that the trophy case would link to another page that would show all the trophies at normal size. (ideally people would be choosing which trophies would be in the case and which on their scroll)

What you're thinking there would require someone make a tiny trophy of every one. (and a lot of the trophies have variations that were given to people who helped with the event)

I really like this suggested case, and the tiny trophies are super cute. *drools*

Do you think it's feasible to increase the width of the trophy case for people with more trophies so we can show off all of them? Either that, or add an extra trophy case for the next sixpack of trophies. Which can be repeated endlessly.

The trophy case in that post was meant as a test to see if I could make trophies small enough to be seen at that size. I've recently made a new version with more generic trophies.

If the trophies that I've made are a good shape, does anyone think they need more contrast or something? I feel like parts of the trophies are blending in with the background but I'm not sure if it's just my screen.

I think the empty case (for people with less than 5 trophies) should keep its handles. I'm gonna say the lore behind this is the doors are unlocked when no trophies are in the case so you can see the handles. But when there are trophies in it, the handles magically disappear to lock it so no one can "steal" the trophies.

I'm not sure that the blending you experience (as do I) is a matter of contrast. It might also be a a matter of saturation. Or both.

I've made some modifications. I changed how I was making the inside of the trophy case lighter so that I could apply it to the trophies as well

First, here's the new empty trophy case: (for those who don't have it turned on and/or don't have more than 5 trophies)

user posted image

And here it is with trophies in it:

user posted image

I'm currently working on getting the trophy in the middle right slot to blend in less. Other than that, please let me know if you think something should be changed or improved on.

On a completely different subject: How should this trophy case work?

I assumed it'd show up empty in your trophy line and you can either put all but your gold/silver/bronze trophy in it. Or not use it and it'd disappear. Is that the gist of it? If so, it'll need messages written up that explain what's going on to fit in with the whole RP aspect of the game.

While walking through the cave you see a cavern filled with labeled trophy cases. Do you take the one with your name and put your trophies in it or leave it be and continue walking? (You can always change your mind.)

You load all of your trophies into the trophy case. As you close the doors the handles vanish, preventing anyone from opening it and stealing your trophies. Do you pick up your scroll or empty it out and leave it empty?

You have earned the following trophies:

You look inside the trophy case labeled "(user's name)," and see shelves loaded with different trophies.

You can’t seem to find the trophy case you’re looking for...

As you reach towards your trophy case the handles appear, allowing you to open the doors. You empty out all of your trophies and walk away from your empty trophy case.

I'm not sure if I'm missing anything or if I've made any mistakes. Please let me know if I have or if I'm completely misunderstanding how trophy cases would work.

I think you are making it way too complicated. laugh.gif

Why not just a trophy case - which we could enable or not - showing several trophies - not the actual ones owned; the coding would be far too complicated. We could click on it to see what's inside. I guess varying degrees of fullness would work, though as more and more trophies show up, it might be hard to keep up...

I think you are making it way too complicated. laugh.gif

Why not just a trophy case - which we could enable or not - showing several trophies - not the actual ones owned; the coding would be far too complicated. We could click on it to see what's inside. I guess varying degrees of fullness would work, though as more and more trophies show up, it might be hard to keep up...

Is this in reply to me? Because if so, I think I've confused you. I wasn't suggesting that you actually get to put specific trophies in the trophy case. I was saying it's a badge/trophy on your scroll. When you click it for the first time it takes you to a screen that asks you if you want to enable it or not. If it's enabled, all of your trophies show up on a page (/trophycase) in a grid. The other messages I provided were ideas for what could be displayed in each possible case that might happen: A user looking at another user's trophy case, a user looking at their own case, a user trying to look at a case that hasn't been enabled, etc. My apologies for the misunderstanding.

If this wasn't in response to me and instead was in reply to Olympe then I agree. I don't think each new trophy should be made mini and be added to a tiny, expanding trophy case.