rilavision

RIP Xbox One

As for always online... My brother games online a ton, so two of us trying to at the same time generally causes some lag--it's annoying enough if he's playing and I'm trying to download something because he comes up ever 10 minutes to "reset the connection" and I tell him "screw that it's slow because I'm trying to download something--too bad for you" (since both of us tend to be home and online at the same time, it's not like I can always just wait for him to not be home).

Have you checked the settings on your router to see if there are any fairness settings you might be able to use to resolve the problem? This is a common issue with shared connections, and while not all the solutions are perfect, you might get lucky and find out that your router offers everything you need to keep both of you happy.

Honestly, I really don't like that statement from Nintendo. I play games partially for the system, but mostly for the story. This is why I play almost no Nintendo games; the story just isn't there for me. And stories are only somewhat replayable. I get bored when I'm playing the same story over again, no matter how engaging the system is. For me, games which were so awesome that no one ever sold them because they just want to keep playing them over and over again translates into a world where the game marketplace is strangled by games which are so addicting that they drive out all the competition, and I don't get enough games to keep me occupied.

Of course, given the current state of the JRPG world, it's not like I get enough games to keep me occupied anyways, so maybe I don't care.

Have you checked the settings on your router to see if there are any fairness settings you might be able to use to resolve the problem?  This is a common issue with shared connections, and while not all the solutions are perfect, you might get lucky and find out that your router offers everything you need to keep both of you happy.

Honestly, I really don't like that statement from Nintendo.  I play games partially for the system, but mostly for the story.  This is why I play almost no Nintendo games; the story just isn't there for me.  And stories are only somewhat replayable.  I get bored when I'm playing the same story over again, no matter how engaging the system is.  For me, games which were so awesome that no one ever sold them because they just want to keep playing them over and over again translates into a world where the game marketplace is strangled by games which are so addicting that they drive out all the competition, and I don't get enough games to keep me occupied.

Of course, given the current state of the JRPG world, it's not like I get enough games to keep me occupied anyways, so maybe I don't care.

I'm not terribly good with that kind of thing, and the last time my brother tried to "fix" it we were without internet for a day because he broke it, so there's no way in hell I'm trusting him to "fix" it again... I just don't want to mess with settings because I'd rather deal with it how it is (I'm not big into online gaming anyway) than accidentally screw something up.

I really enjoy games that have a good balance of story and mechanics. I've played the first inFAMOUS game probably around 20 times now because I really like both the story and the gameplay. Pokemon games have been getting better and better with story through the years (the handhelds, anyway). The other JRPGs that I play also do a really good job of balancing story with gameplay, IMO. I never sell a Tales game, for example, because they take a long time to beat and are very fun and I like replaying them.

You don't have to play the same game continually for it to be a game worth keeping, so it's not like they're too addictive to let go. It's a game that, while you don't necessarily want to replay it as soon as you beat it, you'd like to come back and replay in a year or two.

Like with books--I have some books that I don't read constantly, but every few years or so I go back and re-read them, even when I have the story practically memorized, because I find them very enjoyable. I wouldn't sell them because I know that I'll want to read them again in the future, and it might be hard or even impossible to find a copy eventually.

I view games the same way. Some are just very addicting, and others are just ones that I'll play once a year or once every two years or something, but I want to come back to them time and again because I really enjoyed them.

That's why Nintendo games seem to hold value pretty well--it's not necessarily that people are playing their games constantly, too addicted to play anything else... It's that they know they'll want to play them again in the future so they hold on to them.

Edited by KageSora

@ Kage - i misunderstood the point your were making then biggrin.gif

speaking of games that retain value. we were in a gamestop the other night looking for a used copy of Mavel Ultimate Alliance 2, thing was running for $44 o.0

oh i agree abotu inFamous as well, have you tried Darksiders or Arkham City? if you like inFamous then you'll really get into those games, especially Arkham City.

@ Point - actually, an update about a year ago (aroudn the time they released the GotY version of Arkham Asylum) Sony made the PS3 capable of playing 3D games, which is why on most of the PS games have a box on the cover that states 3D compatable. it'll also play 3D movies from what my brother inlaw said.

@ rose - have you seen the ads for the new FF game comming out? that series if you haven't tried it might be right up your alley if your looking for a great story. an older one you might want to check out is .hack//GU for the PS2. epic game wub.gif and easily the best i've ever played RPG wise.

though personally, i'm not a FF player, as i can't stand turn based playing

We're directly opposite. I love turn-based games and that's exactly the problem with JRPGs recently for me. I play action RPGs too, but I am getting flat out sick of the transition to action for everything. I usually try to play action, turn-based, and strategy RPGs in rotation to keep things interesting, and one part of that is just missing entirely.

It doesn't help that FF12 and FF13 had ineptly told stories. I considered not even bothering to finish Orphan's Cradle because the motivations of the protagonists had lost all connection with reality. FF13-2 improved from a plot perspective, but I hated how they twisted the continuity in an attempt to find room for a sequel.

Lost Odyssey was a brilliant game (not that the story was perfect, but it was mostly coherent), and exactly what I wanted. Unfortunately, it looks like Mistwalker has gone off into the weeds too, focusing on building party games for mobile phones.

I may end up buying FF15 just to avoid being left out, but as flashy as the battle system looks, I can't even imagine how you'd play it. Hopefully it'll be less twitch than it looks.

My best move might be to give up on home console buying entirely and switch to handhelds, but I'm not a fan of that, either.

In any case, my friends have been dragging me into F/TPS games for co-op, and that's probably what I'll end up picking up an Xbox One for. Sony would have to make huge strides in multiplayer for me to consider playing games with my friends on it. (When we played White Knight Chronicles, it was honestly just easier to have our 360s running in the background and hang out in party chat while playing the game on the PS3, for example.)

@ Kage - i misunderstood the point your were making then biggrin.gif

speaking of games that retain value.  we were in a gamestop the other night looking for a used copy of Mavel Ultimate Alliance 2, thing was running for $44 o.0

oh i agree abotu inFamous as well, have you tried Darksiders or Arkham City?  if you like inFamous then you'll really get into those games, especially Arkham City.

I'm working through Darksiders now, very fun game! Not really a Batman person, though.

@siliconrose: With mutliplayer being behind a paywall now with Sony, I'd imagine they'd be able to improve it considerably rather than trying to offer the service for free. Y'get what y'pay for, after all.

XBoned ONLY Playable in 21 Countries at Launch

Twitter convo about it.

So, if you don't live in one of the following countries, you will not be able to play it, even if you import it from another country. Going on an extended trip for business or pleasure to a non-listed country and wanting to bring your system to play in your down time? Too bad--better hope it gets listed before you go there! Moving to a country that isn't on the list? Well, your Xboned will be useless until it becomes available in your area (if it ever does)!

• Australia
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Brazil
  • Canada
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Mexico
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Russia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • United Kingdom
  • United States

It just keeps getting worse.

I know, right?

It's like they're determined to keep proving what I keep saying about trying to shoot themselves in the foot with every gun they can get their hands on true!

But why? Surely someone in the company has seen the lunacy of their plans? They want our money but are making it hard and unappealing to do so. Not a brilliant business strategy.

But why? Surely someone in the company has seen the lunacy of their plans? They want our money but are making it hard and unappealing to do so. Not a brilliant business strategy.

I honestly don't know.

I'm guess it's because they just assume they can keep sales where they were at or improve them relying entirely on the people who buy their console for the exclusives and who aren't actually inconvenienced by these rather severe restrictions.

I think they're severely underestimating the number of casuals who rely on being able to buy and sell used games as well as families that don't want to pay a ton of money for a game their kid will play once, as well as the number of people who will be willing to jump to PS4 for things like Call of Duty (unless they somehow end up turning it into an Xboned exclusive, but that seems like it would be pricey as hell to secure...).

Sure, they'll always have fans who will be happy to just roll over and take it for the exclusives. And they'll have fans who aren't actually caused any trouble by these restrictions.

But I think they'll notice that sales aren't where they anticipated them being, even if sales aren't horrific. And that'll be all the casuals and families who jumped ship as well as those of us who, while we're fans of an exclusive or two, are willing to give it up to refuse to support a company that's doing things we don't approve of.

There is so much misunderstanding in this topic, I won't even touch it.

Last time I even tried to explain what was really going on to 3 or 4 people, it took me repeating the same, simple sentence 5 or 6 times. So I'm even going to attempt it with all of the people who read this topic.

I'll gladly have a civil discussion with anyone through PMs though.

Honestly I think sales are going to tank. My partner and I know a load of gamers - a load of gamers that own 360's I'd like to point out - and not *one* would even consider buying this. And some of these are people that went to 360 release parties.

Last time I even tried to explain what was really going on to 3 or 4 people, it took me repeating the same, simple sentence 5 or 6 times. So I'm even going to attempt it with all of the people who read this topic.

Please, do tell on the misunderstanding.

What is there to misunderstand about the Xboned only being playable in 21 countries at launch?

What is there it misunderstand about the Xboned leaving used sales up to the devs which means that any dev can just say no used games which is quite bad for families and a lot of gamers who rely on selling their old games to buy new ones? (I work in a game store. I can tell you first hand that there a LOT of both who rely on used games, and who wouldn't really be spending much money at all if the stuff was all new, all the time.)

What is there to misunderstand about the Xboned's way of handling used games would totally make it difficult for used-game retailers because those games would then likely have to be sent out to be re-authorized for sale to another user?

What is there to misunderstand about the Xboned requiring you to connect once every 24 hours to play your SINGLE PLAYER OFFLINE GAMES, by their own admission?

What is there to misunderstand about not being able to leave a disc with a friend and allowing them to play the game without paying a fee as stated by their own admission?

What is there to misunderstand about only being able to GIFT a game once to a person who has been on your friends list for 30 days, as stated by their own admission?

What is there to misunderstand about a rape joke happening, presented as normal trash talk which is just disgusting in it's own right, during their conference?

That^ is why I'm not going to comment in-topic.

You didn't need to list every failing about the Xbox One to get your point across, but you did.

You only had to say "Please explain what you think is misunderstanding", but you instead wrote a paragraph. So, no I will not tell you the misunderstandings I have observed.

Edited by Total Reverse

That^ is why I'm not going to comment in-topic.

You didn't need to list every failing about the Xbox One to get your point across, but you did.

You only had to say "Please explain what you think is misunderstanding, but you instead wrote a paragraph. So, no I will not tell you the misunderstandings I have observed.

So basically there aren't any, then.

So basically there aren't any, then.

Sounds about right.

If they can't actually counter any of the things that have put off a lot of people, then clearly they're just trying to defend the undefendable. :/

being vague about misunderstandings doesn't make you right. Having a smug tone with us doesn't make you the better person. I would PM you to have a civil conversation to hear you out but I'm not sure you can get your point across without sounding uppity.

In my opinion, There was no winner in the past console war. In fact, it was the most balanced console release of all time. As someone who owns all three consoles, I found them all to my liking. Having said that, I do prefer the ps3 simply for the fact that it has exclusives that tailor to what I like. It unfortunately go to the point where I played my N64 and Wii more than I turned on my 360. Finally sold it for a decent amount and moved on.

What Microsoft is doing is telling consumers "This is what we are doing. If you don't like it, don't buy it" and that is what I plan to do. That is the only way Microsoft will realize that they messed up is if their console flops within the first year. Vote with your wallets.

I'm not putting the ps4 up on a pedestal either. It has it's flaw in my eyes. I think the touch pad is as dumb as the connect and the fact they are making it so you have to get playstation plus subscription to play online is kinda a step backwards (Even if it is only 5 USD and month and you get a free indie game every month)

and so there is no more confusion. Here is a chart:

user posted image

and the fact they are making it so you have to get playstation plus subscription to play online is kinda a step backwards (Even if it is only 5 USD and month and you get a free indie game every month)

I actually think it's a good thing.

Working in a game store, I often heard from people who did online with both PS3 and 360 that the PS3's online sucked compared to the 360's. I've also heard quite a few complaints.

It wasn't a terrible online experience--it just wasn't up there with the 360's is what I overall have come to think from what I've heard (as somebody who almost never does online gaming, I can't say from personal experience).

By making it a paid service, however, they're able to offer a better experience. You get what you pay for--and a free service isn't going to be as good, generally, because maintaining the service costs money and if they're not making money off of it, then they're paying out of pocket to keep it running.

So by making it a paid feature, they can step it up and improve performance overall.

At least that's how I feel.

Also, that chart is inaccurate. It's not loaning a game to a friend with the Xboned--it's permanently transferring the license. You are GIVING them the game, not loaning it to them.

Also, even if the publisher has authorized trading/reselling--you can only go through an authorized retailer. Which means even if they allow you to sell your games, you won't be able to sell it online or to a friend, you'll be forced to go to a specific store and trade it in. And then you have to make sure that retailer is authorized for the game. You probably won't be able to trade it in at a local small game store and would have to go to a store like GameStop to sell it.

At least, unless MS announced different things since I last heard on these issues.

Here's something to think about:

Link!

Link 2!

Not saying that this info is truthful, per se. Just food for thought.

Yeah, I dunno how frequently that site gets updated. unsure.gif

WiiU

I mean, Nintendo has some sweet games coming out, (finally) annnnnd the 'net still seems to hate it.

Eh, maybe I'll check back in a month.

(Or whenever Smash Bros. gets released. laugh.gif )

Was a fan of the 360 and hated the PS3. The PS2 was the last great console from Sony but by the looks of it I'll probably be getting the PS4 as the Xbox is just too much of a hassle for a console, might as well get a gaming PC.

Yeah, I dunno how frequently that site gets updated. unsure.gif

WiiU

I mean, Nintendo has some sweet games coming out, (finally) annnnnd the 'net still seems to hate it.

Eh, maybe I'll check back in a month.

(Or whenever Smash Bros. gets released. laugh.gif )

If you type "Wii U" (remove the quotes), you can see that the results are a lot more positive. I think the news of all the new games has made it a lot more popular.

On topic, I think the Xbox One is going to fall down on sales. Hopefully this will make Microsoft sit up listen where they haven't before.

Xbox is banking TOO MUCH on the fact that only "real gamers" (aka: those addicted to their games, like Halo) have enough money to carry their system. It's an absolutely terrible business move. Any other video game company would have flat out said no to even HALF of the stuff Microsoft is pulling. They have to realize that computer gamers and console gamers aren't the same. Whereas, with a computer, you probably have internet access all the time. With a console, you probably don't have Wifi or a wire to your modem.

I would NOT be surprised if a ton of parents buy the XBone for their child, only to return it because it doesn't work (aka: they didn't realize online access was necessary).

I would hate the online thing because it seems like my internet connection is always breaking. Granted, the majority of the time it is just on and off, so it would be able to get online at least at one point, but sometimes it goes down entirely. And getting it back up in a single day isn't always possible, the way our cable company works is someone HAS to be home to answer the phone for them to come out. Well, that often takes all day, I can't always dedicate an entire day hoping that they will call to come over. What should I do, carry the thing to the nearest free WiFi spot so I don't get in trouble?

I will grant you though that I have never had an XBox(I have just about everything BUT and XBox), though this does not make me want to break that trend.

Seems the only bad restriction to the XboxOne is the 24 hr internet thing, as far as the used games go it's up to developers if they want to make their games not able to be resold and I'm betting the majority if any will use that option