Princess Kiara

Best Names for Kittens

Which kitty name do you like the best?  

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I can't believe that I forgot to say this earlier! The family of my best friend in elementary school had a tradition of naming cats Gilligan, after the TV show Gilligan's Island. They usually had 4 cats at a time, and whenever Gilligan died they would get a new Gilligan.

To this day, Gilligan is one of my favorite cat names, along with Schrödinger as I mentioned.

My cats had/have some pretty plain names.

Oreo (as my dad named him because of his black and white coloration - original, I know)

Baby Cat (as my mom named him in college - even more original)

Max (named by my mom because she liked the name)

Bobby (as my brother named him because apparently he though he looked like a bobcat)

Spooky (a stray that showed up in the middle of the night, named by my parents)

Figaro (as I named him, based on the lookalike kitten from Disney's Pinocchio)

If I had a kitten now, though, I have no idea what I'd name it. I quite like the name Oliver for a male (it may or may not have something to do with how much I loved the movie Oliver & Comapany when I was younger).

Out of the choices in the poll, I chose Sherlock. Seems to be a popular choice, too. Now that I think about it, I really do like that name for a cat. I might consider it for my pets in the future. :P

Edited by glamoursea2

I doubt it's what you're looking for, but... I've always wanted to name a cat Schrödinger. For science. tongue.gif

Yes! Yes! Perfect name!

Shorter names are definitely better than longer ones, though of course if this is a registered purebred you can go crazy with the registered name and still have a sensible pet name to call them. My breeder friend has a cat named Shaak Ti who's much more commonly referred to as "Spot", and my own little demon is Pretty Fly For A White Guy (but we only call him Vitas).

As for Vitas, his most commonly used nicknames are Butthead and Vitas-The-Okayest-Every-Once-In-A-Whilest-In-A-Blue-Moonest-With-A-Chicken-Bone-Waving-Over-The-Keyboard. Thanks dad.

If you want something easy to say, pick a name with two syllables, or something that is easy to add an extra syllable (my mom's cat was named Jack, so we called him Jackjack, and my sister has Marc and Holt who are respectively called Marcus and Holt-ee).

Cats will generally "decide" what name fits them best when you meet them. I'd suggest picking out a few names that you like and decide for certain once you've gotten the cat.

I just got a new kitty baby, 4 months old, I call him "Boo" because he is so active, it's like "boo" and he's gone!! Although, he was almost appropriately called "Ricochet", hehe. Other names are "Boobutt", "Buttcat" and "OOWWWW...CRAP DAMN YOU!" The last being when he suddenly launches himself off my leg or chest to chase one of the other cats.

A rare quiet moment.....

user posted image

He's only standing still, cause I'm holding his favorite toy....lol...

user posted image

Edited by Riverwillows

Hm, cat names... some we have/hade:

Nimrod, Othello, Murphey, Humphrey, Veleno, Amicula - Amy for short, Scintillula - Lula for short, Henry, Demetria, Wira, Ashtoret, Sherry, Max, Hannibal, Tristan, Ottokar, Oskar, Henrietta, Minka, Luna - short for Lunatic ;-), Bastet, Sakhmet, Leo, Kasimir, Bianca, Balu, Terry........

My sister's cat is called Voldy. He is registered at the veterinary as "Voldemort", but he is such an adorable, cuddly, friendly little guy that we can't actually call him like that.

I wanted to call him Yoda anyway, but my sister didn't like it.

If I was allowed to name a male cat right now, I would probably choose Loki, too. (As I like intelligent evil cats, I wouldn't worry about spoiling his character with that name! xd.png)

If it was black, I would call it Salem, though, as one of my first names is Sabrina... x3

Edited by Hermeline

I heard that cats can be scared by names with s or sh sounds in them as they sound like angry hissing, but a friend once had a cat named Hushkush and he didn't seem to mind...

Cats I have known, my own, friends, neighbors or somewhere in my family:

Christopher (Columbus), Twinkle & Dini

Boomerang

Turtle, Midnight & Merry Christmas

T.J. Gray (Yes, I had a cat named TJ many long years ago, aka Teej or Puka, long story.)

Oliver Twist (more, please?)

Anthony & Diamond

Shersti & Annamore (I'm not sure how her name was spelled. I think it was Dutch or Swedish.)

Fetzer

Dojien, Shannon, Little Bit & Loudmouth

C.C.

Xerox & Willie

Tigger

Moonie

Kimber & Shiloh

Callie & Simba

Bobby

Ginger & Mary Ann

I don't have a cat now, but there are enough other critters around here, including bearded dragons! <3

Any name from an anime is a great name biggrin.gif I once named a Siamese kitten Ciel.

Our current cats are Gargamel, Luna, Arlo, and Axl.

My family's cat right now is simba, and it's a girl. lol we named her before we knew her gender. I say my family's cat, because I don't live with them anymore, but I did when we got her, and I frequently visit. I like to call her simba kitty, or simby kitty.

Edit: Oh, and the s in her name doesn't seem to scare or agitate her at all. I think she's just used to hearing it now.

Edited by Jrady

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I don't like names as kitty, fluffy, whiskers etc. I think a name must be unique and fits with the personality or the appearance of the kitten, in order not be "one more cat". I used to have a cat called Eve like the waitress at Olympus, who was the symbol of eternal youth (and the word means it), because she was very sweet and cheerful, like eternal youth. An other I called him Liszt, because of his habbit to walk up and down on the piano. As a suggestion, try to understand your cat and then name it. (by the way I voted Dog, because it's original)

I like to name my cats like the cats in Warriors (ex. Rosekit > Rosepaw > Rosethorn) xd.png I also named most of one litter of kittens after things on Mars or something (Phoenix, Pathfinder, Spirit, and Opportunity). The other one was just called Silvertip because his black fur was tipped in white. He's a very pretty kitty.

Our family has several cats

Samantha

Orion

Zack

Lydia

Blu (Boo-Bear)

Ginger

Jazzy

I voted for Sparkles, although I'm very fond of Bubbles too happy.gif

My own cats are called Tiggi and Socks, they're both grey tabbies and Socks has white paws so it looks like he has socks on tongue.gif

I did find this site on google which has tonnes of cat names, if you're still unsure: http://petrix.com/catnames/ smile.gif (Apologies if it's been posted before, I haven't read all the replies to the topic)

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif Moisturiser? Really? I find that funny. I like Bubbles though. It's cute and furry sounding.