Skellybones

The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Death grinned. Whether it was intentional or not was unknown. She turned her horse around, and they lifted into the sky. Just in time to see a dark figure lying on a roof. She opened her eyes, flexing her free hand, which was pale and incredibly boney. "It's no use running for Death." She said, a smile in her voice. From what she could see, the girl was a teenager. Death kept her scythe close to her, ready to take action at any moment. "You're lucky I've just regained my... humanity, you might call it."

Skye heard a voice from above and looked up. There was someone on a flying horse with a scythe at hand. Skye tried to scream but no sound came out. She Jumped from one roof to another the jumped on to the pavement and ran for her life. Out of breath Skye faints in the dark, with no one around her but Death.

She nodded, keeping her eyes downcast, studying the last bits of liquid in the cup before finishing it off and standing.

"Well, darling, it was a pleasure to meet you, I ought to be getting back to work now. I'll still be around, let me know if you need anything, alright?" She seemed to have to work more than before to put a cheery smile on her face, waving at him slightly before heading off to check on the food in the kitchen.

Nicole hadn't really wanted to get up. While there was something incredibly unnerving about him, she found him also rather intriguing. Ultor... With a name like that, she wondered if he was some sort of eccentric businessman in for a meeting. She certainly hadn't seen him before.

Either way, it wasn't her concern. She hoped he would be back, but had other customers to attend to, so she shook her head once, tucking back the usual unruly strands, and let her hips sway again as she picked up the tray of food for a waiting customer.

Death chuckled, a smile playing on her pale lips. The child fainted.

You really should stop doing that.

"Oh, I know, I know..." She muttered, as the pair galloped down to where she lay. "Humans look so cute whilst sleeping..." The horseman slid off the back, bending down. She scooped the girl up in her arms, feeling slightly uncomfortable at the feeling of life being so close to her. She draped the limp body of the spine of her horse. It snorted, doing a small dance before settling down. She swung up onto the horse's back, sitting behind the slumbering teenager.

Skye soon woke up, her eyesight all blurry. She saw the girl with the scythe in hand and screamed, this time sound did come out. Skye looked down about to jump off and run but she noticed she was in the air. Land now you freak. Why are you kidnapping me? Please don't kill me. she screamed.

Edited by freezerpup

Death simply smiled, looking straight ahead, before lifting the girl into a better position. Riding whilst lying across a horse's back was not a good idea when conscious. She should know. She'd tried it. "Shush, mortal. All of your screaming is giving me a headache." She glanced down, narrowing her eyes at the bright blue hair. "You do not want me annoyed or angry. To evoke those feelings in me would endanger your life. I will not harm you as long as you do not do either." Her voice was calm, unmoving. Her face was a mask, a blank look fixed into her face.

Fine whatever you want. When are we gonna land I'm afraid of heights? Skye sighed impatiently. She saw the woman looking at her bright blue hair so she pulled up her hood hiding as much hair as possible. Edited by freezerpup

Death remained silent, urging her horse onwards. She travelled away from London, away from the village, away from everywhere. That was when she landed. The journey was silent, and only took around half an hour. Her horse's hooves made contact with the ground, and they slowed to a fast trot, which turned into a walk. Eventually, the trio stopped. In the middle of a forest. In the middle of nowhere.

Skye jumped off the horse. She looked around the forest. This reminds me of home she mumbled. Noticing she was off the horse she ran for her life far into the forest. She found the highest tree and started to climb it.

Edited by freezerpup

Death gave a tired sigh, before strapping her scythe to her back, and sprinting after the girl. Funnily, things just appeared when the horsemen desired them. Well, small things that were generally insignificant. Like straps. She moved fast, faster than most other mortal beings. But then, Death wasn't a mortal. She found the tree the child was trying to climb, and jumped up it. As agile as a cat, Death scaled the branches with ease, coming level with the human. "So what exactly are you running from?" She asked, playfulness filling her voice with curiosity.

N-nothing, I'm just playing like I did back at home said Skye. I wish I were back at home. I like my house. The abandoned one. I wish I had my own old life back again without anyone controlling it. Skye said starting to cry.

Death raised an eyebrow. Wow. She hadn't noticed how soft humans had gotten over the years. She nudged the girl, in a slightly more friendly way, before frowning. She remembered a car crash. Screams, blood, metal. She remembered standing there, watching it all, before strolling in, and freeing the souls of the girl's parents. Yes, Death knew she had remembered this. Despite being trapped in the military's prison, the horsemen had still roamed. But in slightly more spiritual forms. They were unable to be seen by mortals, although animals could sense them.

Do you know the door, when it slams by itself? That was a horseman. When your dog or cat meow or bark at nothing? That was them. They were everywhere.

Just leave please. Or even better take me back to London. I dont want to live on this planet any more. Cried Skye and she climbed fast to the top of the tree. She stood up on a branch, looked down, looked up and then closed her eyes her blue hair swirling around her face.

Death's face hardened. "I am sorry, but I do not grant people suicide when I have just saved them." She leaped up the tree, following the girl. The scythe blade shimmered a bright silver. "You don't even know who I am. But can I say, I am terrible sorry about what happened to your parents." She shook her head sadly. "Trust me, you'd have it worse if you were me. I can't even remember my brothers, sisters and parents. None of us can..." She used 'us' anonymously, unless the girl had actually worked out who she was- which Death doubted -then there was no way of telling who she meant by 'us'.

How do you know what happened to my parents? asked Skye, a tear running down her pale cheek. She took a step forward towards the end of the branch. I've been thinking suicide for years now. Skye rolled up he sleeves revealing cut scares. The branch was sturdy being able to hold Skye. Skye closed her eyes. Turned her head up towards the moon, a single tear running down her cheek. She took another step lowering her head just a little, keeping her eyes closed. She took in a deep breath but did not move any closer to the edge just yet.

Death narrowed her eyes, fury burning inside her. The small part of her face that was in shadow looked more skull-like than normal, living flesh. She kept her anger down. She'd already let herself go once tonight. Going twice would just be uncivilized. "I know many things that normal mortals do not. You ask me how I know? It is because I was there. Just as I will be the last thing you see if you jump right now, which, I am afraid, I will not let you do." She let out a shrill whistle, and was answered by a neigh.

Skye turned around tears tripping down her face. You don't know anything about my life now. What I've been through. How I've survived! said Skye. She grabbed Death by the arms. You'd be best to get out of here. I can do whatever I want I'm 14. Skye turned and walked back to the edge of the branch, ready to jump.

Edited by freezerpup

Death lunged, moving into freefall, holding the girl above her. They landed on the ground. Death's back would have been shattered had her skeleton not been 'reinforced'. She'd better not do that again for a while, though, or her spine would have had it. She also needed to make sure she wasn't stabbed in the back. That was painful, and was garenteed to kill her host. She looke up at the girl, eyes hard. Her hood had fallen from her black hair, and her whole face was exposed to the moon. "Do you see that, girl? That should have killed me. Why do you think it did not?" She snarled. She might as well just tell her. This child didn't seem to be getting the hint.

You are fake. Why are you so protective over me. I'm fourteen and I can do what I want. Just bring me home. Shouted Skye in anger tears still streaming down her cheeks.

"Oh, I'm not fake..." Death stood, brushing herself off. "I am Death. The rider of the sickly- or the skeletal -horse. My kin are Conquest, War and Famine. My job is to heard the stray souls of those who have died before their time." The reached behind her head, retrieving the hood and pullin it over her head, her face once more passive.

Just bring me home please. Cried Skye digging her nails into the palms of her hands. I need to go home. I need to see MY forest.

Death snorted. "No forest is your forest. You might like to believe it is, but in truth? No. It is not yours. It is merely the landlord's." Her horse cantered toward them, letting out short cries as it did. Death new she was in for a scolding. Her horse liked things to be done properly.

It is only I who lives there. The house is abandoned. Just bring me back to London or you know what! Skye screamed in Death's ear. Edited by freezerpup

Death bristled, and she turned to the mortal. "Well I'm terrible sorry, but I don't take ungrateful passengers." Her voice was calm, and quiet. One of the sure signs of annoying her. She gathered it all in, ready to release her anger at the right moment. She unstraped her scythe from her back, and held it. The blade hung over her head, shimmering beautifully in the moonlight. The wooden handle was the perfect height. All she needed, too look like the traditional Death mortals imagined, was her skeletal self. Her horse trotted up behind her, nuzzling her face with its cold, boney muzzle.

I have been trying to be nice. I've asked you nicely but you wont do it. I'll find my own way back and I dont care how long it takes me, I will find my way back. Skye trembled. She started walking towards the edge of the forest so she could soon follow the road back to London. Edited by freezerpup