angelicdragonpuppy

Lineage restoration of dragons with dead ancestors

*Can't believe Cheeze killed more than one of his dragons x;[*

Similar to how people can choose to see/not see images when signed into their account on some sites, it would be nice if in the Cave's account menu, there was a selection to "see full lineages of dragons" or "see edited/*better word here* lineages of dragons."

Edit: I love how what I said was completely disregarded. Amazing.

Edited by DeathCry

That's my thought when I see a deadline as well. I hate them and view them as worthless. Being able to see past the tombstone might make a deadline more interesting to me...and I'm not even someone who is bothered by inbreeding. I just really rather an honest representation of what I'm looking at.

So far, I like PF's idea best.

*sob*

SIR ! WE DISAGREE. Is this a first ??? sad.gif

If I create a deadend, I am being honest. There are dragons out back, but I murdered them. I am not going to tell you all the deads were CB.

I might even tell you what they were if you ask ! I will certainly know the breeds.

(Seriously - if you don't LIKE deadend lineages - don't accept them. If you get and keep one - you treat it and see it for what it is - a carefully designed - DEAD END LINEAGE !)

I can KIND of see the issue with people who have a linage in which someone else killed something later - but as Socky said once, may moons ago, if you want to be CERTAIN sure, make lineages exclusively from YOUR scroll, and them release ones you don;t want to hang on to - they will be wild and keep that lineage.

If you want to be NEARLY sure, only include dragons from the scrolls of people you ABSOLUTELY trust (I have a few of those. So far their owners have not let me down, though a few have lost their names...)

I don't pick up deadlines, Fuzz. However, I have had dragons with nice lineages have their worth ruined because someone killed one of their ancestors. And sometimes these are dragons I traded for, thinking they'd retain a certain level of worth that is now utterly gone. :C

Also, it's not always possible to have lineages only from your scroll. I am very, very, VERY unlikely to ever get a CB Holly or CB Tinsel. Newer players will likely never get CB Old Pinks or Frills. You have to depend on other people in order to start lineages with them--but considering how rare some of those dragons I mentioned are (especially the first two), finding someone who's both willing to trade with you AND who you know you can trust without a doubt is very, very hard.

My goal here isn't to ruin deadlines (although as I've said a billion times, YOU can still continue viewing YOUR deadlines how you like, as can other people who enjoy seeing them that way!). It's to ensure stuff that ends up on your scroll can't be messed with due to someone else's actions. DC is supposed to be an independent game, but if someone else can murder their dragon and permanently change the look of a dragon you own's lineage, that's not truly independent, is it?

Anyway, a few random thoughts:

- PF13's Idea: I just had a thought, PF, and--I think for your suggestion to work, people would have to be able to choose how they want to view any dragon, regardless of if they own it or not. Let's say someone offers me what they insist is a 3rd gen Holly with a dead CB Holly grandpa. If I accept and only after I've traded can I check the linage--to find out that grandpa was actually a 7th gen inbred Holly--I'd be quite upset. So, people should be able to view how they view any dragon, with the default for every dragon being the tombstone view. You could then turn on the full lineage for any given dragon if you wished, as you said (and perhaps this could be turned back off later?)

- The Fading Idea: I don't like this one much. If you have a 8th gen PB GW or something, and one single CB is grayed out, it's still going to catch your eye and drive you nuts, just like a single speck of dust on an otherwise perfectly clean mirror can.

- Another reason to allow a full lineage view: Deadlines are, by their very nature, deceptive. You make something look a certain gen when it might not be so. More than once I've seen someone offering a 3rd gen Tinsel or Metal only to find that (groan) it's a deadline 3rd gen, which almost always makes it worth much less than a verified true 3rd gen. Now, I know this, and thus avoid them. But a new player might not, and might get decieved into trading a good sum of things for something that, to their surprise, isn't worth what they thought it was. Having a way to check true lineage would prevent such things.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Shamiir; what about influencing an egg? If you trade it it keeps the influence, right? If you AP it then it's gone. It could easily work like that. It's essentially the same concept; you've forever affected how that dragon will interact with the metagame, whether by gender or killabillity.

If you trade/abandon an egg it looses it's influence. If you trade/abandon a hatchling it keeps it.

As an egg it isn't affecting anything, but it is as a hatchling.

I do breed eggs to the AP occasionally, but not try to trade them away.

But I don't see the problem there, people are free to accept or decline a trade, so if someone doesn't like the "purged" lineage idea and wants to be sure of their dragons pedigree, they can just decline the offer or whatever and that's it.

And about the fooling people in trades tentative... that depends on the ones who are trading, it might work or not, but if one gets fooled in such a trade it's nobody's fault but own, just like in the case of iou's.

I really don't see the problem deadlines suppose for trading, either you make them for yourself or decide to trade, nobody should tell you what to do or what to trade :/

*sob*

SIR ! WE DISAGREE. Is this a first ??? sad.gif

If I create a deadend, I am being honest. There are dragons out back, but I murdered them. I am not going to tell you all the deads were CB.

I might even tell you what they were if you ask ! I will certainly know the breeds.

LOL. Yes it is a first and I was just as shocked when I saw that as you were. Can't always agree it would seem, but we do better than most. wink.gif

I know you, Fuzz, and I trust you so that makes it a horse of a different color where you're concerned.

I think it's probably just human nature to see something that is altered and assume the worse. I'm sure there are a good number of people who, like you, work deadlines strictly on their scroll so they don't have any effect on other people's lineages. I have no issues with that at all. I'm sure there are a number of them that kill CB's like the Holly in question who started all of this. That's why I think if there was a way for the skeptic to see past the tombstone that would make things a bit better. There wouldn't be the assumption that the deadline is just a coverup.

I saw at the start of the thread, the comment that the poster turned a useless dragon into a breeder. For me, it's nearly the other way around, because I wouldn't breed something that I can't verify.

I have a Shadowwalker X Waterwalker lineage that I would like to continue next year. Part of the CB line has the waterwalker zombified. I want to continue that and I would like people to know that the zombies are indeed a CB so this would help with that as well. *shrugs*

Maybe it's just me, but i have not seen a huge about of 'deception' going on in trades with deadlines. I've never seen a deadline egg offered that did not put 'doctored' or some such in the description of the egg and it's lineage. Like: "Doctored 3rd gen gold egg." We can't protect new players from everything, there are help threads and a trade question thread if they don't understand something.

I like PF's suggestion best. I kill off some lineages because I prefer to look at a tombstone over a huge mess of random dragons, I do that so others can't see it either. An option for others to see it if they want is an undo button on my work. You want to see the lineage of your dragon, go right ahead. That does not interfere with my work, and it fixes very neatly the issue of a dead dragon ruining a lineage in the future.

Edited by Draco Knight

I'm not trying to say that deadliners are trying to cheat people. From what I've seen, the opposite is true. However, the POTENTIAL is certainly there. IOUs have been limited because of trust issues, despite most people being great about fulfilling them. Deadlines are similar. However, with a change, there would be no way the few crooks in the masses could deceive anyone.

I don't pick up deadlines, Fuzz. However, I have had dragons with nice lineages have their worth ruined because someone killed one of their ancestors. And sometimes these are dragons I traded for, thinking they'd retain a certain level of worth that is now utterly gone. :C

Also, it's not always possible to have lineages only from your scroll. I am very, very, VERY unlikely to ever get a CB Holly or CB Tinsel. Newer players will likely never get CB Old Pinks or Frills. You have to depend on other people in order to start lineages with them--but considering how rare some of those dragons I mentioned are (especially the first two), finding someone who's both willing to trade with you AND who you know you can trust without a doubt is very, very hard.

My goal here isn't to ruin deadlines (although as I've said a billion times, YOU can still continue viewing YOUR deadlines how you like, as can other people who enjoy seeing them that way!). It's to ensure stuff that ends up on your scroll can't be messed with due to someone else's actions. DC is supposed to be an independent game, but if someone else can murder their dragon and permanently change the look of a dragon you own's lineage, that's not truly independent, is it?

This is a dragon mentioned earlier on this thread. However, when I click on it's lineage, this is what I see.

This whatever it is right here.

I guess someone could find that attractive somehow. It's huge enough. But you know? I don't. I don't like to look at it. I'm guessing it's some giant stripe lineage, but short of running it through AoND I don't know what gen it is, and while some people might like giant lineages like this. I'm not one of them. Maybe it's my screen size, but I don't like having to scroll up and down to try to follow a lineage back.

I am fine with some people enjoying the eyeball gymastics involved in reading that thing. But if I want to clean it up for my personal use, that's my business and not yours. If I want to share that re-purposed dragon's offspring on the AP, then that's also my business. That deadlined silver tinsel you don't want? Guess what, some newb would probably love it, because it's a tinsel they can make their own. Because they can't get CB tinsels, Old Pinks, Frills either, so if someone's tossing out short things for them, even if the lineage is snipped (and how is it so different than what happens when scrolls get burned). I really doubt if they care overmuch that some old member, who has "legit" short gens because they have friends with them, and all the old dragons they'll never have, and free time enough to hunt to buy more short gens is a little put out, meanwhile they can enjoy their dragon and make their own lines out of it.

My suggestion is to do what Sock said and keep your own lines if you want to guarantee their quality. Trading is a present investment for a future risk. Maybe that member's going to get pissy and have their scroll burned, maybe they'll kill everyone on it. You don't know...

And this Thought just occurred to me now.

@ The OP.

As it happens, what hit your dragon wasn't a planned deadlining to me. Someone just decided to up and kill CBs of some of the rarest dragons of the game. If you know the person, go ask what they're doing. You're trying to punish people who are making their own lines, because someone you traded dragons from appears to be having an off day. So you're punishing people who deadline, for something that doesn't even look like a deadline. Maybe they're trying to make a zombie.

Deadlines are for cleaning lineages by making an artificial 2gen, killing a CB isn't making a deadline.

Fuzz, exactly.

My dragons - to breed/create/kill/display as I please.

It would seem that some want to ruin the lengthy work of many others just because a few do a woeful kill.

Nobody is asking anyone else to find them 'beautiful' or desirable - that is not relevant to the debate here anyway.

Draikinator, eggs do lose their influence when traded.

I personally think that the concept of making an egg unkillable would go against the principle of doing what you wish with the eggs/hatchies/dragons that you own

Deadlines are for cleaning lineages by making an artificial 2gen, killing a CB isn't making a deadline. 

That is not always true. I have seen some deadline stairsteps that did have CBs killed. Those were very much a deadlines.

Edited by Sir Barton

I have a Shadowwalker X Waterwalker lineage that I would like to continue next year. Part of the CB line has the waterwalker zombified. I want to continue that and I would like people to know that the zombies are indeed a CB so this would help with that as well. *shrugs*

But zombies show their lineage, so no problem there !

ETA (we cross posted !) If you want a full deadline and one of those dragons there IS a CB, you have to kill that too. I have never felt the need - but I can see why I might ! I have a male CB I just - never did anything with - and need a male to fill a space - so I use him and then kill him. It happens.... But I do think it ODD to kill Hollies. Then again - I saw someone here who wanted to make their GoN into a zombie... blink.gif - there is no accounting for the feelings of o others !

Edited by fuzzbucket

It would seem that some want to ruin the lengthy work of many others just because a few do a woeful kill.

Nobody is asking anyone else to find them 'beautiful'  or desirable - that is not relevant to the debate here anyway.

*Sigh* Nothing is being RUINED, though. So I don't want to see your deadline, I want to see the dragons behind it. So what? It's my eyeballs, not yours. You can still see it just as you wish, as can anyone else who wants to appreciate the way you designed it to be seen. It's not like your work would suddenly cease to exist or become invisible to everyone. It would still be seen by those who want to see it, as it should be.

As a side note, going again with PF's idea, I wouldn't even turn off tombstones in deadlines. I agree that they often look nicer then they would if the true lineages were shown. I would, however, use the feature to see the real lineages in places where it WOULD look pretty, such as massive even gen projects or short lined rares. If I might be so bold, I imagine that's how most people would use it, really.

That is not always true. I have seen some deadline stairsteps that did have CBs killed. Those were very much a deadlines.

Fair enough. Are you sure they were CBs though?

The point really was is that killing CBs is not generally the standard protocol for making deadlines for trimming lineages. If you have the CB, you don't have anything to hide. If you do kill the CBs for the look, then that's a tombstone lineage, and tombstones are the point. This suggestion would then ruin two separate kinds of lineage. Deadlined (for cleaning) and Tombstones (for the look of tombstones... the idea of a Shadow Walker X Tombstone sounds good all of a sudden now, like ghosts walking away from their headstones).

Though if someone wants a "fresh" start, then they would kill both parents, now that I've thought about it. I've often left mine as tombstone over other parent with offspring taking up the new line from the parent.

However, what seems to have happened to the OPs dragon doesn't appear to be a deadline to me. Because it's a CB Holly, who would want to kill one of those? Unless of course, they wanted to catch a different lineage of Holly next Christmas. Because if you can only have two Holidays. Which would drag the conversation back around as the whole thing would have been a preventable death if people could catch/bred/keep additional Holidays.

I still think someone should ask this person if they're killing their dragons for the evilulz or didn't want their dragon out in the wilderness breeding with everything. I know I kill mine rather than release them, if I was fond of them or wanted to keep their children unique or something.

Edited by Amut un Rama

I like the thought to permanently disable the "kill" option on a specific dragon. If that were released I would immediately apply it to all my CB metalics just to be on the safe side. I think this would be a great addition.

I would be in support of a different tombstone for CB versus bred. I know it wouldn't help in all cases, but it would help in some. At least you couldn't "worry" that something that was CB wasn't.

I would be in support of a grayed out image of the breed of the deceased, but ONLY for dragons killed from AN ANNOUNCED POINT AND FORWARD. That way those who made lineages based upon NOT seeing this information would not be penalized. It would make it trickier if you were doing a dead-lined hard-to-breed species, but if you are aware of the change then you can plan for it. I have a rather pretty Deadlined Bronze Tinsel. All dragons in the "Deceased" row were Bronze Tinsels. I did that so I could ensure it was only tinsels I was getting, since I didn't want to end up abandoning any dragons to the AP who would later be deadlined. But seriously, think about it. How much prettier would this Rosegrave Tinsel look if those tombstones were faded out Silver Tinsels?

I would love this solution and take advantage of it, but I can see why others would disagree and I understand and respect that too.

But whether it's PF's suggestion or mine or some new idea, I still insist something should be done. People are often told that once an egg leaves their scroll, they have no control over what happens to it. You can't demand an auto-abandon back or add it to a hatchery or insist the new owner breed it a certain way. So if people can't do that, why should they be allowed to potentially ruin the lineages of bred things that they've sent off their scrolls?

I did have to comment on this. While I see your point, I don't think you understand why everyone is told "once it leaves your scroll you have no control over it." It's not insurance for whoever picks up the egg in the AP, it's because we only have control over eggs, hatchlings, and adults ON OUR SCROLL. If it's not on your scroll, you can't control ANYTHING about it, and that's the way it is. You may not like what the recipient of your precious egg does with your lineage, and they might not like it when you rename all your dragons in that lineage to the lyrics of your favorite rock song.

You can't pick whether or not your dragon's lineage retains its names (as that depends upon the owner remaining active and not sending the dragon to the wilderness), you can't choose who they breed their dragon with (and so if you believe a dragon's parents will be lifemated and the person changes their mind next year you have no control over this), you can't control what they name it (so your beloved offspring of "Lady of the Russian Moonlight x Agent 007" may someday become the offspring of "ROFL x Mr. Poopy Pants"), and you can't control whether or not the person decides to kill their dragon. It's a shame, I agree. For example, I would be heartbroken if this lineage lost their names. But it is what it is, I have no control over that, because they're not my dragons.

*Sigh* Nothing is being RUINED, though. So I don't want to see your deadline, I want to see the dragons behind it. So what? It's my eyeballs, not yours. You can still see it just as you wish, as can anyone else who wants to appreciate the way you designed it to be seen. It's not like your work would suddenly cease to exist or become invisible to everyone. It would still be seen by those who want to see it, as it should be.

As a side note, going again with PF's idea, I wouldn't even turn off tombstones in deadlines. I agree that they often look nicer then they would if the true lineages were shown. I would, however, use the feature to see the real lineages in places where it WOULD look pretty, such as massive even gen projects or short lined rares. If I might be so bold, I imagine that's how most people would use it, really.

There is no "should be" here. Michelangelo painted over his mistakes. Why "should" you get to see them ?

This is simply a personal preference thing.

IF this were even to happen, I feel VERY strongly indeed that if a dragon I have dead-ended is on MY SCROLL, anyone looking at it can ONLY see it MY way. IF I bred it for someone (which I am rapidly deciding I never ever will, even as I plan a rather fine deadend lineage as we speak !) they could see the lineage of their dragon their way, once THEY have it - but that would still mean anyone looking at MINE could only see the deadend.

So if - say - someone looked at your Albert that you had bred from a descendant of my deadended Sylvia, and clicked on Sylvia from YOUR lineage page, they would only see the deadend. Because Sylvia remains MINE. And I get to say what you see of a dragon who lives on MY scroll.

Double sigh ADP.

You are looking at the problem from strictly the other side of the fence and cannot see the points we are making.

I guess we cannot alter that.

I know it doesn't bring your holly back, but have another look at my earlier idea.

It would at least provide an avenue for preventing that happening unexpectedly again.

Edited by Shamiir

IF this were even to happen, I feel VERY strongly indeed that if a dragon I have dead-ended is on MY SCROLL, anyone looking at it can ONLY see it MY way. IF I bred it for someone (which I am rapidly deciding I never ever will, even as I plan a rather fine deadend lineage as we speak !) they could see the lineage of their dragon their way, once THEY have it - but that would still mean anyone looking at MINE could only see the deadend.

So if - say - someone looked at your Albert that you had bred from a descendant of my deadended Sylvia, and clicked on Sylvia from YOUR lineage page, they would only see the deadend. Because Sylvia remains MINE. And I get to say what you see of a dragon who lives on MY scroll.

Posting again to say that I absolutely agree here, if the OP's suggestions or variations thereof are implemented.

I am also saying, fuzzbucket, that with those statements I am curious about what project you are currently planning. Eventually I want to do a Gold x Silver Tinsel checkerboard, but I put that on hold when they started breeding so badly. Perhaps I'll get to start it up again soon, though. smile.gif

I don't do deadlines with common dragons (although I have a long-term zombie project planned), I do them with dragons where I couldn't get the CB's to do what I want. I do always plan ahead which dragons are marked for slaughter (or in case of "emergency" (a.k.a. laziness) I make sure they don't have any offspring aside from ones I intend to use in the project). I have every right to do this, as I can create some pretty lineages I enjoy that otherwise would be impossible.

And on that note, and with Shamiir's fine input, I am gracefully ducking out of this thread.

Okay, I've skimmed most of the replies and I don't think this has been suggested yet. It may have flaws I haven't thought of, but I think it could potentially make both sides happy (people who want their dragons' valuable ancestry preserved and people who enjoy creating deadlines).

What if dead dragons had pages, not normal dragon pages, but rather "grave sites" ? From the grave site, you could view the dragon's lineage and it would display as normal (with a grave in place of the dragon), but if you were to view the dragon in another dragon's lineage, it would show as a tombstone, the way it does now. Deadlines are preserved as they are, with no 'alternate view,' but someone seeking more information could go to the dragon's grave and find it.

I think the grave site should show a tombstone (in place of the dragon's image), and include a death date and breed, but otherwise appear the same as when you view a regular adult dragon. Maybe the death date should take the place of the view/click counts, and breed should show above or below gender.

EDIT:

My mistake, apparently the tombstone pages already exist. But still, why not just show the breed and lineage of the dead dragon on the tombstone page, but have it appear as a tombstone with no lineage in other dragons' lineages?

Edited by GhostMouse

What if someone else sees my scroll, also collects deadlines and wants one of mine?  They get all the crud then, since that dragon wouldn't originate on their scroll.

I don't make mine to trade, but sometimes people like them so I have no compunctions against getting a few hatchlings for them.

That's their choice.

I started to write this before the forums went down .

The truth is, the person who killed the dragon shouldn't get the option to show the dragon. They're the one that killed it so they should have to suffer the consequences (Good or bad)

If, on the other hand, one of your dragons decendants is on someone else's scroll, that someone else should get the option to display the dragon.

Deadlines will still display on your scroll. If your deadline contains decendants of dragons from someone else's scroll, you can still choose to have the tombstone appear.

If someone with a sibling to that dragon decides they'd rather have the dragon, that's not your decision.

Yes, that means if you create a deadline, the person who gets your dragon's decendants doesn't have to follow your wishes (and they shouldn't have to).

Lastly, whatever the person chooses, their decision (tombstone or dragon) is displayed that way to everyone.

Edited by rayden54

I am also saying, fuzzbucket, that with those statements I am curious about what project you are currently planning.

Issa SEKRIT ! (you haz PM !)

Fair enough. Are you sure they were CBs though?

The point really was is that killing CBs is not generally the standard protocol for making deadlines for trimming lineages. If you have the CB, you don't have anything to hide. If you do kill the CBs for the look, then that's a tombstone lineage, and tombstones are the point. This suggestion would then ruin two separate kinds of lineage. Deadlined (for cleaning) and Tombstones (for the look of tombstones... the idea of a Shadow Walker X Tombstone sounds good all of a sudden now, like ghosts walking away from their headstones).

Though if someone wants a "fresh" start, then they would kill both parents, now that I've thought about it. I've often left mine as tombstone over other parent with offspring taking up the new line from the parent.

However, what seems to have happened to the OPs dragon doesn't appear to be a deadline to me. Because it's a CB Holly, who would want to kill one of those? Unless of course, they wanted to catch a different lineage of Holly next Christmas. Because if you can only have two Holidays. Which would drag the conversation back around as the whole thing would have been a preventable death if people could catch/bred/keep additional Holidays.

I still think someone should ask this person if they're killing their dragons for the evilulz or didn't want their dragon out in the wilderness breeding with everything. I know I kill mine rather than release them, if I was fond of them or wanted to keep their children unique or something.

Yeah, they were CB's. I can only say that for sure because I know the person who did it and I also agree that I highly doubt that the Holly killed had anything to do with a deadline lineage. I can't see any logical reason to kill a CB Holly, even if you want a 2nd gen or what have you next year, but that's just me.

The only way to keep your actions from effecting others is to kill dragons who's offspring you have kept on your own scroll. To me that falls in a "responsibility" category and that isn't something that we would all agree on either. I mean the idea is that your actions shouldn't have an effect on anyone other then yourself and that's the only way I can see that occurring.

The only way to keep your actions from effecting others is to kill dragons who's offspring you have kept on your own scroll. To me that falls in a "responsibility" category and that isn't something that we would all agree on either. I mean the idea is that your actions shouldn't have an effect on anyone other then yourself and that's the only way I can see that occurring.

Yep, but then that would mean everyone would be responsible for keeping their bred offspring on their scroll. It's not so much that we wouldn't agree, but that it wouldn't be doable.

The reason we have an AP is so people can chuck their eggs there. I try not to, but vampires have a month-long cooldown and dead eggs lock for 24 hours. Sometimes I just don't feel like being tied up for the "common good".

This seems to be a separate discussion from intentionally deadlined dragons that are traded or found on the AP. And what happens when someone who decided to just kill their dragons for fun.

I like the no-kill identifier button. But ADP did mention that could lead to hassling for someone to mark their dragon as unkillable for a trade, which is a con.

I still see this situation as a caveat emptor, the seller can do anything they want, it's up to the buyer to see that they aren't screwed over. If nothing more, I'd say that there needs to be easier communication for on-site trading, since the forums aren't always reliable. Something simple like asking if the owner has plans to kill any of their dragons eventually.

Double sigh ADP.

You are looking at the problem from strictly the other side of the fence and cannot see the points we are making.

I guess we cannot alter that.

I know it doesn't bring your holly back, but have another look at my earlier idea.

It would at least provide an avenue for preventing that happening unexpectedly again.

It wasn't my Holly--I own the 4th gen Pink. My sympathies go to the person who owns the two lineaged Hollies, though. And I know that if I ever had the ancestors of MY Holly killed, I would be even more upset then I already am! I feel so bad for the owner of those Hollies... sad.gif

And eh, I don't think you guys are really seeing the other side either. I don't see much sympathy from the other side about people who have valuable lineages ruined. Right now we have no way to fix that. Whereas if this was implemented, you guys would still have your deadlines exactly as they are now. You'd be helping out the other side while not altering how you or other deadline-enjoyers or even curious passerby see your deadlines at all.

Yes, I understand that you want everyone to see your lineage the way you meant it to be seen. But hey, so do we. With options as to how to see lineage, EVERYONE can see lineages exactly as they like. That's more pretty to enjoy, not less.