Keileon

OoC Subforum

Should the Roleplaying section have an OoC subforum?  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So, I noticed a while back that the roleplaying sections are extremely disorganized as the OoC and actual RP threads are all meshed together. With a forum so large, it kinda makes... well, a mess. After talking to a couple of people who agree, I decided to make this thread. I didn't see any threads for it, so I don't THINK this is a duplicate...

Either way, I don't particularly see why there shouldn't be an OoC subforum to put RP chatter threads in as it 1. keeps stuff from getting buried as quickly, 2. makes everything easier to find, and 3. just plain looks better, more organized. I fully realize that RPing is not the main focus of Dragon Cave Forums, but there can't be too much harm in making things a little neater and it would definitely make the lives of the RP Moderators so much easier.

A perfect example of this in action, I would say, would be ZEJ Roleplaying's Freeform Roleplays section. Ignoring the Subforum Section- which will be gotten rid of soon- note that the main section is for roleplaying threads only and there is a subforum for OoC. This system has worked flawlessly for ZEJ so far, and since it works better than any other method on a smaller forum that doesn't have as much clutter, would not the same principle apply to a much larger, active, and busier forum?

This is just my two cents, but I can't be the only one who feels as such. So vote, reply, and help this go through, because I feel as if it would help the section and mods both in the short and the long term.

I... have to second this.

I've been in the RP section for most of my forum life, and I can say that it can be very hard to find which thread I was trying to make a post on. The search engine is also offline until further notice, so that makes it even more difficult to find a thread that I'd needed.

You don't hear much about the RP section on this place, but I believe that it's time for us to take a stand and ask to have our section tidied up.

I don't roleplay here, but from experience in other places I support this.

Either each RP needs their own subforum, or you need different forums for setup, ooc, actual play.

since the first consumes more time, a new section is the most basic choice.

*peeks in*

I know *nothing* about RP, but OoC is 'out of character', right? I think?

In that case, I understand and support this suggestion.

Just because I don't see the reasoning behind the vote, I'm curious- could the person who voted no explain why? smile.gif

I'm not an RPer on here, but I've got plenty of experience with forum RPs and support the need for an OoC section. They're incredibly handy to have around smile.gif

I'm for it. First off, it does help keep things more organized, and it helps me be able to keep a better eye on the ooc threads. The freeform moves pretty fast at times and it would help with threads getting buried really fast. Overall, I just think it would make the section run smoother.

I sent a PM to TJ asking if he could look over this, because really.

What does OoC even mean? I role-play, but only with a friend of mine, and it's really messed up and we don't follow RP-ing "rules", so I have no idea about the terms when it comes to RP-ing. (Except RP itself. xd.png) Thanks.

OoC is "out of character". It's a "chat" thread of sorts that pertains to the actual roleplay itself, such as hiatuses, plot development, and so on. As an admin of another Invision forum, I know for a fact that it wouldn't take more than 5 minutes to make.

OoC is "out of character". It's a "chat" thread of sorts that pertains to the actual roleplay itself, such as hiatuses, plot development, and so on. As an admin of another Invision forum, I know for a fact that it wouldn't take more than 5 minutes to make.

I can second this, although the only forums I've been admin on were MyBB.

I think RP mods petitioned TJ for this at some point, did you guys, Walker? =o

Anyway, if it would help separate RP from the RP discussion stuff, I see no harm in it. :3

I invite the two who voted no to please explain their reasons, as clearly you see something the other 29 of us don't. tongue.gif

Perhaps they don't like subforums or they just don't think the section is big enough or would benefit from it. They're a minority and they can see that. I really wouldn't worry about pestering them into explaining. ;3

I vote yes. I haven't RPed here yet but I intend to. I just feel kind of hesitant to jump in without discussing ideas with my fellow RPers first. My options right now are "have a mod approve something and hope everyone likes it" or "jump into freeform, slap a huge post together explaining everything, and hope people like it", or "clutter it up with OOC in the big quagmire".

An OOC subforum makes it more inviting to discuss and share ideas cooperatively in advance, and can open up more possibilities for story IMO.

It occurred to me that many RP sites or forums with those sections often have an Interest Check section for... well, gauging the community's interest in the RP idea. The OoC section could also be for that, perhaps?

I think this would be pretty good idea to do. I've been eyeing the RPing section, but with such a huge mess on how to find the OoC threads at times, I have felt more distant to said section and reluctant to actually join anything. Into OoC thread one could actually put all the character profiles rather than straight into the IC thread, where they would only... clutter things further.

I think RP mods petitioned TJ for this at some point, did you guys, Walker? =o

Anyway, if it would help separate RP from the RP discussion stuff, I see no harm in it. :3

Not only for this, sadly. xd.png

I support!

Edited by Khallayne

I think this would be pretty good idea to do. I've been eyeing the RPing section, but with such a huge mess on how to find the OoC threads at times, I have felt more distant to said section and reluctant to actually join anything. Into OoC thread one could actually put all the character profiles rather than straight into the IC thread, where they would only... clutter things further.

The roleplay forum I visit and help run allows separate threads and even sections to split profiles and OoC, as quite often one has to find and reference their profiles quickly. It's worked near-flawlessly so far, so I don't see why DCF shouldn't at the very least have a separate section for OoC.

Do subforums take up much... what is it, bandwidth? Whatever it is. I've always been under the impression that the subforums were just like folders on a computer as far as that stuff goes, but one can never be too sure...