RainDear

Change Dragon Descriptions

Cars wouldn't be in the world around them, descriptions can't have that sort of thing in. Description guidelines say "This site takes place in a medieval setting." wink.gif But I agree that it would be helpful to know their size relative to everything else that would be around them at that time.

Make it a carriage, then.

Maybe we could have some kind of spreadsheet on several dragon abilities/stats:

Can fly? yes/no/glide only/...

Can use magic? yes/no/only X kind of magic

Size? mouse/cat/dog/horse/carriage/cottage/small castle/hill/mountain...

Diet? meat/fish/plant matter/carrion/insects/various...

Social groups? none/family/pride/herd/pack/colony/clan...

Behavior?

Mating habits?

Personally I would rather description moderators not enforce anything not explicitly stated in the description. For example, if a user describes a dragon as using magic and the official description doesn't say whether or not it uses magic then it should be accepted providing there are no other factors that would get it rejected.

I support this. Imagine how lame writing descriptions would be if both the writer and the reviewers had to go through an entire checklist of stuff every time to make sure their dragon was 100% 'perfect' with the breed standards. T____T

Honestly, that's why I really don't want to see any descriptions changed. The current ones are great because they give us some major elements to go on, but aren't over-the-top picky about the side stuff. If you think there's one or two breeds that need a bit more clarification in the flying department then fine, I guess (although I still think it's pretty obvious that Dorsals can't fly--their wing structure is not flight-worthy at all), but please please pleaseee no long list of what they can or can't do.

It is for this reason that I have ALWAYS been in support of some kind of dragon encyclopedia on site in which the spriters can add additional information about their dragons for us all :3

There is so much that cannot possibly be fit into a tiny description I think having some kind of dragon book or something would be so neat.

Maybe once you get the breed it unlocks the information page about that particular breed with all their info on it? I think that would be something really fun! Plus the spriters could fill the pages with all this awesome info they can't fit into the description for their creations. It would be something really unique and helpful in cases like this.

Edit: Kinda like a dragondex if you will XD

Edited by Reidragon

Honestly, that's why I really don't want to see any descriptions changed. The current ones are great because they give us some major elements to go on, but aren't over-the-top picky about the side stuff. If you think there's one or two breeds that need a bit more clarification in the flying department then fine, I guess (although I still think it's pretty obvious that Dorsals can't fly--their wing structure is not flight-worthy at all), but please please pleaseee no long list of what they can or can't do.

I personally really want more detail in the descriptions. We don't need pages worth of the stuff, but more is good.

Just because there's more doesn't mean there wouldn't still be wiggle room or room for creative use of the information stated or not stated.

The wiki isn't official, though.

I would LOVE if all this "creator said this, creator said that" would actually go into the *on-site* descriptions. Anyone who isn't on the forums aren't going to know "creator said this" and such.

It is when the creator writes the entry, in my book xd.png

Not everyone looks to, knows about, is familiar with, or knows how to navigate the Wiki. Even when the information might be said to be accurate, the Wiki is not official to DC. I would like a place for more info here, ideally on the dragon pages, if that isn't possible, a forum where the creators can enlarge on the dragon descriptions would be great.

I actually think this is something the mods need to discuss and get on the same page with. I have approved flying dorsals and too many daydreams to count that can control their daydream ability since it is not clear these dragons can't do these things from the site description. Guidelines state that you can't break the breed description, not that you have to hunt down all the possible information available around all corners of the internet and not go against that info, so that is how I moderate. I will bring this up with the other mods and we'll let you know what we land on as a conclusion, then we can go from there. :3

On this note there's probably a lot of other areas that really should be clearer, but I also think part of the problem is how harshly critiqued descriptions are, they shouldn't be turned down for these tiny details, I've only written one complete description that I spent a fair amount of time on, I re read it over and over and I'm fairly sure the only reason my dragon still dosent have it is because I gave her a slightly peculiar nature, not a reference to the nature of the breed, but to the dragon herself.

In short, necessary details must be clearer and unnecessary details must not be the turning point for rejection.