Ruins

Dr Conel's Home For Gifted Children

((sorry, I had no clue what to write/ homework))

"I see," Talon said in response to the tiger's body language, "Talk is pointless for those ruled by fear. Mitch better to play his game of cat and mouse with claws out."

On the word claws, Talon's own blades slid out of his fingers an inch. His stance widened, and he lifted his arms to chest height.

"Now, who's the cat, and who's the mouse?" he continued, "I myself am neither dead nor alive, least one open the box."

=====================================

Coach boom looked over the assembled students, and with a quick head count, determined that most of the students had arrived.

"All right," he called out, "Let's begin. For those of you who are new here, I am Coach 'Boom' Watson. Some of you might remember me as 'The Boom'. I am a legally recongnised public meta-human vigilante, or superhero. One thing that always astounded me was how absurd some criminals were. Sometimes it seemed like they got their ideas from cheap comic books, one Mr Viper had a small room filled with them. What this ended up as was scores of completely absurd booby trapped hideouts. Swinging axes, mutant sponges, a giant three headed dog, and I still have not seen it all. This is why I build obstacle courses. Learning to navigate unpredictable environments is important, so is having the strength to do so. What I have here is a recreation of the first booby trap system I encountered."

Coach Boom paused to take a breath. "Any questions?"

Edited by sailing101

"The boom?" thought Marik. That name didn't ring any bells in his head. It was the first time he had ever heard that name. He was about to raise his hand up in question but decided against it. There was no point to make a fuss in his first lesson, let alone potentially insult one of his teachers. He lowered his hand back down to his sides and examined the course, before a legitimate question entered his mind.

"Um.." he said raising his hand.."Will this require the use of our powers? and if so... can we destroy part of the course?" he asked. He would be in a tight situation if he were unable to granulate any of the objects into sand.

(( Quick post since I'm waiting for the rest of the people ))

Nick looked toward one of the students, who had asked Boom something. He was a guy, obviously. White hair, check. Quite strange, actually. Only time Nick had seen white hair was when he saw his grandpa for the first and last time before he went to work in Venice, Italy. He still kept sending him tasty treats, like delicacies - especially pastirma. That beef-like meat was DELICIOUS! Shaking his thoughts off of that, Nick rose his hand as well and asked a pretty important guestion. "Do we need to wear specific clothes, sir?" He asked, and threw his look at Mist's blouse and skirt. She would be screwed if Boom said yes.

Quenna knelt, her eyes locked on the tiger before her and her mind completely concentrated on its form as it sauntered closer towards her, its movements not hostile, but certainly not friendly. Its eyes stared into hers, and she felt almost as if she were connected to it, connected by that intelligence in its eyes that was so unique to humans. With a soft smile, she watched at it grew closer and closer, only to suddenly stop with its ears pricked up and nostrils flaring. It was minutes after that tiger reacted that Quenna finally found herself able to hear the crackling that signaled the approach of Conel. Nodding to herself and wincing, she was expecting the growl even before she heard it. The rumble tore through her slender body and she felt as if she would be carried off by it as it echoed and sounded through the otherwise eerily silent wood. Conel's presence was accompanied by his swearing, and she felt just as exasperated as he, for the presence of Talon was no doubt further complicating things.

Talon had seemed to have decided that it'd be a great idea to completely muddle everything, and so had decided, in front of one of his teachers and his headmaster, to taunt a tiger that stood just feet from Quenna. Was he unable to see how dangerous this was, not just for him, but for the other two people in the woods? Was he unable to see how stupid it was for him to confront a tiger in the first place, and even more so in front of two important authoritative figures who could make life a living hell for him if they wanted? It was an unbelievably dark glare that was shot at Talon by Quenna, but she turned from him to the tiger, whose tail lashed with reasonable anger and whose muscles rippled as he shifted into a tensed position, clearly suggesting that he was perfectly willing to bring down any of the three should he deem it necessary. It was then that Quenna realized that this shape-shifter truly did possess both the thoughts of a man and a beast, for its cold blue gaze seemed undaunted at the possibility of killing another thinking being.

Talon slid blades out of his fingers, and positioned his body so that it was ready for a fight. Quenna felt like she was just about ready to growl at Talon right along with this tiger. Could Talon be any more of an idiot? Did he want to get expelled, because Quenna was perfectly willing to make that happen, at this point. Still kneeling so as to seem less threatening to the tiger, she turned her back to the tiger and faced Talon, her eyes narrowed dangerously and her mouth tightened angrily.

"Talon, you should be in class now. Go. If- If this was my way, you would have some severe consequences, and trust me, Conel and I will be having a good talk about you after all this. You're putting myself and Conel in danger, not to mention yourself. Go to class, and put those blades back where they belong. If I so as much see their tips..." she hissed, and pointed a thin hand towards the school behind them. Turning towards the tiger, she exhaled deeply and sad eyes locked with his. "I only wish that out of the students you could have met, that you would have met a more... favorable one. I deeply apologize for his horrendous behavior and I hope that you'll forgive us for that. Conel and I wish you no harm, only safety. We can only help you if you let us."

Well, if they weren't going to be doing anything exciting... Anthra stood to find something else to do. Opening the gym door, she left silently. Besides, she would only be disrupting class and in general be in the way. To bad, she really wished to see what the students were like here. Then she noticed a white speck, heard one other teacher's voice, and the form of the Conel, which would be helpful to remember if she was late to her own class. Why would they all be out here though? There had to be a problem. Anthra lightly jogged over, and tried to hide behind the building to find somewhere to jump in. Risking a peek, she noticed that the tiger seemed agitated, a robot was being threatening, and the two adults in the group were trying to keep things under control. Anthra took a moment to scribble the moment down in her journal. Should she help? It looked like they had almost everything in hand, but she should stick around to help if needed. Looking around the corner again, she noticed how the tiger had an almost red spot on its paw. Wa it hurt? It didn't seem to be favoring any single paw...

As Abel stood and waited for Boom to offically start the lesson and let them get on with attempting his assault course, he became dimly aware of an all too familar sensation in the back of his mind. Even though he couldn't see anything, Abel glanced at the wall facing out into the larger parts of the grounds. Due to eyes that were not his own, he could tell that trouble was brewing.

Out in the garden the large black butterfly was resting on a bush and being buffeted gently by the wind. It was several feet away from the white tiger cub and the humaniods, but it could see everything that was going on. Given a certain value of 'see' of course.

In the Gym Abel listened carefully to the none words and tried to make sense of the situation.

After the last of the students made their way out of the dining hall, Nova began to make his way back down.He wasn't just gonna sit around on the stairs all day. Making his way back to the first floor, he peered into the dining hall to see how many students were still lingering inside, before tip toeing his way towards the front door, after all being invisible didn't mean he was inaudible. As he reached for the door handle which was just higher then he was tall, he paused. The voice of several students chatting had startled him causing him to withdraw his hands and slink into a corner.

Luckily for him, none of those students seemed to have possessed an ability for sensing others. He waited there in the corner, as he watched them make their way to the front door, clad in sportswear. As they exited, Nova bolted on all fours just managing to squeeze through the gap before the doors decide to clench onto his tail. His tail had been through enough abuse for one day...

Now outside, Nova had the decision to observe the class which was about to take place, a task he didn't much fancy or to go explore the school grounds. A much more enjoyable option. He stood there to the side of the path so that he was not in the way and weighed his options, its not like anyone would notice if he wasn't at class... Deciding to choose the latter option, Nova began to run towards the forest line, before stopping once again.

His eyes now fixated on a black winged creature sitting on a bush, his excitement growing. He has had previous 'sparring' sessions with other butterflies, often losing since he lacked the ability to chase them in flight. This however was different, this butterfly seemed much larger then the others... perhaps it wouldn't chicken out?

Nova began to take slow steps towards his opponent, edging closer towards it before he would make his move... much like those wild lions he used to watch on the television. Closer... closer... his excitement growing... before his invisible form leaped towards the creature, his arms stretched out in front of him, ready to trap his opponent between his fingers.

Edited by TotallyDrow

ON:

For a few moments it appeared that the female teacher was possibly going to defuse the whole situation; Kez was still low to the ground, still tense, but her words were just calm and honest enough that he was willing to relax just a little of the tension, become that touch less aggressive. He took a deliberate step towards the woman, slow and intentionally non-threatening, and if it hadn't have been for the presence of the armed cyborg he would have even considered shifting to his less intimidating adolescent-form.

And yet as he took those tentative steps his ears pricked once again as he heard footsteps to one side and picked up a scent that he had first detected in the hallway. Nostrils flaring his tail whipped behind him as he heard the steps slow, stop, then the scuff of a leaping form - and Kez sunk back into bestial instincts. With a roar that shook the trees around them the fully-adult tiger leapt into the bushes from which he had heard the sound, intending to tackle his attacker before they had a chance to land on him.

OFF

- Post by Kez

By the time Abel had figured out what was happening it was far too late to do anything. He swore in the privacy of his mind and hoped like hell nobody was going to get hurt. He considered abandoning the lesson and going outside to see if he could help, but he figured that his presence might only inflame the situation. Besides, if Conel and the other teachers couldn't handle it, then what could he possibly do?

Other than the obvious answer of course, but then things would really hit the fan.

~

Beating its wings gently the butterfly clung onto the bush, seemingly ignorant of the creeping, invisible creature stalking it. When Nova dived for the butterfly it remained still until the very last second, taking wing and fluttering away between his outstretched arms.

The butterfly continued its drunken flight to a safe distance in the air, where it had an excellent view of the white tiger bearing down on the unsuspecting Nova.

~

Grimacing Abel tried to focus on Boom. The sooner this lesson finished and he could go and collect his 'guardian' the better.

Closer.. and closer.. his fingers twitching in anticipation of finally catching one of those elusive butterflies that lingered around the bushes in the early mornings of the day. "I've... got you..." he murmured beginning to close his fingers around to trap the creature, however as he did so his expression of excitement turned to one of despair as he saw the black winged butterfly fluttering through his gasp, his eyes following the creature as it rose ever higher into the air.

Nova had only a few seconds to turn his attention back in front of him before crashing into an adjacent bush. He groaned in pain as he lay there. If visible, the only part you would see of him not under the bush would be the tips of his toes and his tail.

He rolled over and sat up, rubbing away the dirt from his arms as he watched that devilish butterfly fly away. He cursed under his breath and began to get back onto his feet.

A roar broke the silence causing Nova to turn his head in the direction of where it came from. Bushes a few yards away from him shaking as a white figure began to barge his way through them towards him. On closer inspection Nova realized that it was the same as the white cat he had seen earlier... only much bigger...

Rather frightened of the beast, Nova began to scramble up the nearest tree, his clawing sending pieces of bark to rain down onto the ground. Safe on a branch and invisible he preyed that his predator would run past him.

Whilst up in the tree, he couldn't help but give a faint smile at the irony. Mere seconds ago he was the predator... now he was the prey.

ON:

Unfortunately the invisible creature was making far too much noise, and Kez's adrenaline-heightened feline senses heard the curse as loud as day as he charged through the undergrowth. Teeth and claws narrowly missed unseen limbs as he swiped and snapped at the disturbed dirt and bark, and as whoever it was managed to scramble up the tree Kez's entire bulk - nearly 400kg - slammed into it hard enough to dislodge all but the most persistent of tree-dwellers.

OFF

-Post by Kez

"When dealing with a large cat, turning your back is a sure way to get yourself killed," Talon replied, "the best option is to make yourself look dangerous, but non agressive, keep eye contact, and most importantly, do not make any-"

It was then that the Tiger roared, and leapt. Talon ducked, but the tiger wasn't aiming for him.

"-sudden movements." he finished.

flash

A memory

It was snowing, there were trees everywhere.

A bear roared, it was charging at him, he dodged, a hatch opened on the inside of his forearm, and out came...

A razor disc. Talon quickly took aim, and threw with all his strength. The disc made a clear ringing note as it flew through the air, and hit the tree just to the left of the tiger's head. He then took a ready stance with his Talons fully out.

"And besides, you all came to me

=================================================

"There is no specific uniforms," Boom replied, "but skirts, dresses, and loose fitting clothing are discouraged, Also, I would prefer that the course remain in one piece, as everybody will be using it, and it's not fair to anyone who went before you if you have one less obstacle."

Boom quickly looked over the assembeled students.

"All right, now, this will be a cooperative chalange. You will each find a partner with which to travel the course. The start is this plot here." The coach took one step onto the dirt, followed by a click, and the coach was promptly flung into the air by a springboard. He landed in one of the crash mats with a soft thud, got up, and dusted himself off.

"I belive that one is self explanitory." he said with a grin. "After that, It's over the balance beam, through the wind tunnel, up the clinbing wall, swing across the climbing rope to the first tower, scramble across the bridge to the second tower, (mind the dummy), then down the ramp without the boulder rolling over you. Don't worry, it's only five pounds." If both of you are knocked off the course, it's game over, and we move on to the next pair. Any ovlenteers?"

"That said, if anybody want's to change clothes, now would be a good time

Nova clung tightly to the branch he was on as the tiger began swiping at the bark of the tree. Rather then shouting and calling for help, which Nova was sorely tempted to do at this point, he kept quiet. Hoping that his silence would make the tiger believe he was not there.

His plan however failed the moment the tiger threw its full weight onto the tree, causing it to shake. This action had caught Nova off guard and his grip slipped off the branch. He was falling... falling closer to the predator.. his eyes fixated on those sharp pointed teeth as he got closer to his demise. Then he stopped... mere inches away from it, his tail coiled around the branch. He swung there like a pendulum, almost taunting the tiger to attack him.

A whistle rang through the air as the blade like object made its way towards the three. Its sharp jagged edges easily sinking into the bark of the tree. A couple inches higher and Nova may have had to pick up the top of his head from the ground.

Nova couldn't hold it in anymore, "DAM IT TALON!, watch where your aiming!" shouted his disembodied voice before he slowly returned his attention to the tiger "Oh censorkip.gif " he cursed silently to himself... he had just confirmed his presence to the creature.. and his head was only inches from the tigers..

"JUST SHUT UP!" Talon shouted in response.

He now had a choice, charge at the tiger, or let Nova be killed. the circuts in his brain started to heat up as the combat programing began to conflict with his desire for self preservation.

Flash

Screams of pain

Flash

This time, a hatch in his upper arm opened, and the hilt of a sword poped up.

Flash

blood in the air, trailing a blade of light.

Flash

Talon began to charge foreward, the scream that camefrom his mouth was not remotely human.

Flash

kill

Flash

Talon was no longer in controll of his body, or even aware of his own existance. he reached up, grabbed the hilt, and drew his blade in a single wide slash.

Flash

KILL!

Flash

"NO!"

White energy enveloped the cyborg, lancing through his arms, and into the blade.

"Deactivate cutting edge! Engage shock mode!"

Flash

KILL

Flash

Talon's own momentum caried him foreward, he couldn't stop now if he wanted to. helpless, he watched the energy blade arc towards the tiger.

Abel was doing his best to concentrate on Boom's voice, but it was very hard to ignore his anxiety over what was happening outside. Boom explained the course and the general Gym rules, mainly try not to destroy any of the obstacles, to the class and then gave the welcome option for people to get changed.

Thinking that someone somewhere must still be watching out for, if not him, then at least the school in general, Abel took the opportunity to temporarily remove himself from the class.

As several other students made a quick exit to the locker room for more suitable clothes Abel ran to the Gym doors and wretched them open. It was strange seeing the scene before him with his own eyes, but he didn't have time to dwell on it. Talon the cyborg was gearing up in a most familar way. He was getting ready to attack.

Abel was too far away from Talon to stop him and even further away from the Tiger and Nova to knock either of them out of the way of the blow. That only left option three.

Without even thinking Abel raced forward and flung himself into the path of the energy blade just as Talon released it. It caught him square across the chest and knocked him clear off his feet. Abel sailed backwards and landed heavily on the grass, where he lay quite still.

Edited by Fortune86

Color drained from Anthra's face when that student knocked the other away as though he was nothing. The scream died in her throat, she didn't want to be hurt like that other student. She bit her lip. What could she do? If she went to defend that other student and the tiger, she would either be torn to pieces or shocked until her heart stopped. Swallowing her fear for a moment, Anthra moved out to the student, warily trying to avoid the robot gone rouge. She checked his pulse, and sighed when she could still feel it. Okay. Be brave. She thought to herself.

But what should she do? Make him think he had won or something? That would leave the unconscious student to be taken care of. She had to do something! The robot would probably see through illusions, so dragging the other student away it was. Gripping him under his armpits, she tried to pull him away from the situation. If he had spinal damage, oh well. She didn't have much choice.

ON:

The slam of the metal disc was enough to make Kez duck and leap to one side, hoping that his invisible attacker would not be on his flank as he tried to look back at the cyborg, the male and female, and keep ears and nose on the unseen entity -the one who looked completely non-human, from the brief glimpse he'd gotten of the stranger earlier in the house.

A voice, just a metre or so from Kez's snarling maw, berated the one called Talon - yet the small creature was saved as Talon geared up into a fighting stance, and Kez took a couple of steps away from the tree in the hope that he would be out of range of the unseen combatant and that the cyborg's entrance into the fray would dissuade his companions from joining.

The inhuman scream from the sword-wielding cyborg was met only with a grim growl of determination, and Kez heaved a deep breath. He had little hope of surviving this encounter now; he was tired, his body feeling heavy, and he wasn't sure how many shifts he could go through before simply collapsing with exhaustion. He was severally outnumbered and couldn't know just what his opponents were capable of - had he been surrounded by a couple of humans he would have been comfortable with surviving, but if these people were like him...

The following two seconds were full of confusion; someone appeared out of nowhere and took Talon's sword to the chest and was flung across the clearing. The massive tiger disappeared, and for a moment a small white bundle of fur was seen to roll between the cyborg's leg. Then the furball disappeared and the tiger was there in it's place, and with another roar the Amur made to slam it's forepaws into the cyborg's back with enough blunt force to send even the heavy humanoid sprawling to the ground.

OFF

- Post by Kez

((OOC: The kind of blow Kez is delivering is blunt-force and doesn't use claws, so isn't designed to cut or disembowel, but is simply just to send someone sprawling to the floor. This is the kind of attack that can drop a brown bear/young elephant/young rhino, just to give an idea of the amount of power a tiger can deliver when attacking. -KM))

When Abel intercepted his attack, half of the blade's charge rebounded on Talon, stunning him. By the time he had recovered, the tiger had dissapeared. Too late, Talon realised that most tigers prefered to attack from behind! He tried to wheel around to face his foe, but only caught a glimpse of white before the tiger's blow sent him flying.

Talon landed hard on his right arm, shattering the artifical limb. shards of broken metal cut into his side, but talon didn't feel anything. He was in a state beyond pain, beyond reason, and he could only watch as his body moved without him, standing back up, and turning to face the tiger once more.

More white energy poured out of his shoulder, seaking the scattered pieces of his arm, and roughly reassembling them.

Nova saw the energy blade coming right towards where he and the tiger were, he froze there, unable to do anything as he clinged onto the branch with his tail. Shielding his face from the oncoming attack with his hands, Nova prepared for the worst.

A loud sound could be heard, Nova lowered his arms and looked around. The attack was gone and he was seemingly still in one piece. He turned his head around to see what had happened when he noticed one of the older students laying on the floor being dragged away by the English teacher Anthra. The sight of the student confused Nova, having not noticed his presence here earlier, yet was the one to take the blow.

Returning his focus on his predicament, he only just realized that the tiger had disappeared, a short white tail disappearing under a scrub of bush before reappearing as a full grown tiger behind Talon. Seizing this opportunity, began to pull himself back up, onto the tree.

Once back up there, he began to make his way to where the action was, his movement through the tree's causing leaves to fall to the ground. He would have to provide support for Talon... even though the cyborg almost hit him... and stepped on his tail.... He was still a fellow student after all, unlike that tiger... Nova had never seen this guy before today and the fact that he didn't enter with the other new students suggested he wasn't one of them either.

Perched up in the cover of the leaves, Nova had a clear vantage point over the fight below. Talon was now on the ground, his artificial arm in the process of being reassembled. Nova released his invisibility, the cover of the trees more then enough to hide him from sight, his palms were held out open as two stingers began to protrude from the center of them a transparent viscous liquid dripping off the tip of them, a chemical poison capable of numbing the body. He had taken his aim on the tiger, ready to bring the beast down if it decided to continue its attack on Talon. He was about to fire when he noticed Conel and Quenna further in the forest. The sight of them causing Nova's heart to skip a beat... Quenna and her ability to nullify abilities was scary enough... but Conel as well?... the last thing Nova wanted was to be powerless due to either Quenna's abilities or Conel's fancy bracelet... Nova had to make his escape... the poison stingers began to retreat back into Nova's palms as he prepared to make a dash for safety.

Edited by TotallyDrow

Abel lay on the grass and hoped the world would either stop spinning or go away. His chest was killing him and with having all the air punched out of him he was finding it slightly hard to breathe. He'd been hit by one of Talon's energy blades before, another reason why Gym wasn't exactly his favourite class, but this was the first time where the blow felt like it had been meant. Normally the situation allowed the cyborg to control his attacks better, but it appeared that this time he hadn't been on the ball properly.

While he was busy trying to pull himself back together, figuratively speaking, he felt someone touch him. Before he could do or say anything they grabbed him under the arms and tried to haul him away. Obviously they hadn't much understanding of first aid. Shouldn't they be checking for broken bones or something first?

"Get off" he said pulling himself upright and pushing his would be rescuer away. "I'm fine."

Twisting his head around Abel saw it was the woman he had seen earlier in the Gym, the maybe new teacher. As she had felt brave enough to try and help in him in a dangerous situation he felt he shouldn't go to hard on her, especially as she probably had no idea that Talon held little fear for him.

Getting to his feet Abel was alerted by the sound of the Tiger attacking Talon. He couldn't really blame it. Talon wasn't exactly the most animal friendly guy around and he had been asking for it somewhat from what his little guardian had 'told' him. Anyway, as Talon was a lot more Tiger proof than say, Nova was, Abel decided to take advantage of this new development.

Abel looked around and spotted his guadian fluttering high over head. It never mattered how much distance was between them, they would always be able to hear each over. Unfortunately.

Using that bond to give instructions to the butterfly Abel moved away from the maybe teacher and went in search of Nova. He 'found' him in a tree near Talon and the Tiger. The last thing he needed was for Nova to try launching himself into the fray.

"Nova get down here" he hissed up into the branches, knowing that the little imp would be able to hear him just fine. "Let the teachers sort this out. Let's get inside where it is safe. Conel will stick you out on the barbecue if this gets any more screwed up."

He glanced over at Talon and the tiger. The less people involved in this the better.

Having no way to know about what was going on outside, Lea sat in front of the dirt patch and listened to what their teacher had to say. Despite already knowing she was wearing proper gym attire, she looked down and patted her pants to double check before standing up. Might as well be sure. Less than a second passed after Coach Boom announced they would be working in pairs before Lea was looking around at her fellow students, trying to find the one who looked the most athletic and capable of passing the entire course. There was no way that she was going to not finish the course because she had a lousy partner, her desire to be the best left that completely out of the question.

Mist watched Abel sprint out with wide eyes. Where was he going? She shook her head to herself slightly. No, no, she couldn't be shouted at by Boom. He was probably going to go and get himself some gym clothes. He would probably take a while if he was going all the way back to the school. At that thought... She looked down at her own clothing, picking up the hem of the floral skirt slightly before letting it go and plucking at her blouse. These wouldn't do any good, however much she may want to stay in them. Head still hanging, she managed to mumble out something. "Does anyone have some spare clothing here...?"

((SKULLY, WE ARE UP AND RUNNING-))

(( FULLY OPERATIONAL ))

Hearing what Mist said about spare clothes, Nick moved toward his lockers, along with the few others that hadn't already went there, and unlocked the one with his own name on it. Pulling the door open, he reached inside and pulled out the spares he had - a loose pair of red spandex trousers, short black and sport socks and a white t-shirt. Putting them on top of each other, then locking the door once more, Nick walked back to where he had seen Mist. He actually didn't enjoy her company, especially since it wasn't much time before he got yelled at by her, but he did this as a school friend, not as Nick. Standing behind her, Nick tapped her left shoulder and held up the clothes.

The branches shook furiously as Nova jumped, startled by the sound of someone calling his name. "How did he know I was here... and wasn't he unconscious?" he asked himself, looking down at Abel and oblivious to his bond with the black butterfly.

Without warning, Nova began to run through the tree's back to where the school was. With Abel speaking his name and the teachers nearby, it would be wise for him to leave, before Quenna or Conel became aware of his presence here... besides.. he didn't wanna become barbecue...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Marik gulped after hearing Coach Boom's response. It was one he was hoping he did not speak, since it meant he would be of little help throughout the course. With the lack of sand present, and Coach Boom's instructions on not destroying part of the course he was effectively left powerless.. unless of course it was a race... he could always resort to disintegrating himself and hopefully rebuilding himself at the end, however that was only a last resort. Marik hated the after effects of using that ability of his...more so he could not stand the tingling sensation of disintegrating himself.

"Perhaps if i granulate a tree or something..." he pondered, looking outside the gym.