Ruins

Dr Conel's Home For Gifted Children

Quenna nodded to Conel in response and watched him as he walked out of the room, chuckling at how the children became agitated and started whispering to each other in hushed towns, likely wondering why the headmaster would be leaving now, of all times. Smiling to herself, she held the coffee cup in her hands and took a long sip from it, but found that she was unsettled inside. For a moment she sat, trying to figure out why, before she stood up and walked over to Lorna, an apologetic look on her face. "I really shouldn't have acted like that, Lorna. I'm sorry. I suppose I was just startled and, ah, I stayed up a little later than I should have last night. I do hope you'll forgive me, because I know you're pretty knew here and I don't want to make you think I'm an absolute jerk before you get to know me,"[/i] she said quietly, laughing slightly and looking at the other teacher with a small smile. "So, other than my grumpiness, how's today going for you?"

~~~~~~

As she wandered through the forest after the tiger, Quenna suddenly heard a growl and she stopped as the tiger waited for her in a small clearing, which she was relieved to be in, for walking in brambles when wearing heels? Yeah, not fun. Putting her hands up by her head, she knelt once more and beckoned the animal closer, but knew that it wouldn't come. She thought about Conel and how he was coming, and she knew that it would be best if she warned the cat. Just then, though, she heard a loud, 'Identify yourself!' and cringed visibly. Knowing how skittish this shifter was, she just wanted whoever it was to go away. Wait, she thought she knew that voice! Yes, if she could recall, that was Talon, the cyborg. Oh great. Not that she had anything against the guy, but a big hulking half-robot probably wasn't the best thing in this situation.

"Talon? This is Quenna, and I'm dealing with something here, so if you could...?" she asked hesitantly, sighing and turning towards the tiger. "Look, no one here will hurt you, and if they try, I can stop them. I can nullify people's powers, and if anyone tries to do any harm to you, I will render them unable to. Now look, I promise no one will get any closer to you than I am now, but some people are going to be coming. The person you just heard was a student, and Dr. Conel, the headmaster here that you may have heard giving a speech? He'll be arriving. We'd just like to talk to you, and I promise I won't let anyone touch you. You're safe here, don't worry," Quenna said softly, trying to soothe the poor creature with a look of pure sympathy on her face. "Look, if I was going to hurt you, a) I wouldn't have worn heels, and B) I wouldn't have told you people are coming. Please, just trust me."

Once again, Nova froze as he heard the same voice calling out to him. From where the Umbramancer was looking, Nova could tell that his method of locating Nova's presence was neither sight nor sound. The man was looking in completely the wrong place now, causing a small smile to appear on his face.

Confident that if he remained quiet just a while longer, he could get his food and leave, without much trouble. As he stood there in silence, waiting to see whether or not the umbramancer would give up, a student slid his chair out, near to where Nova was, carrying his plate in hand and heading towards the kitchen where he would dispose of it in the sink. As he walked, his foot hit something unseen on the floor causing him to tumble over and send the plate smashing towards the ground.

The sudden sensation of being kicked, accompanied by the crashing of porcelain on the floor a few seconds later, caught Nova by surprise. The action causing him to clamber up onto the table and for the briefest of seconds looked like he was flying in slow motion before he too crashed into objects. The food on the table he was now on scattered in multiple directions as Nova's unseen form scrambled about, sending pieces of food to go over the edge. His tail was the main culprit, its snake like frame swooping from side to side and eliminating everything that was in its path. The students, sat around him were covered in a variety of different foods, ranging from syrups to the odd chicken leg.

Confused, nervous and Hungry, Nova grabbed the nearest bit of food in his hands; a bacon sandwich, and began to flee. Normally he could have gone unnoticed due to his invisibility, however thanks to the little facade a mere few seconds ago, parts of his smallish 3ft8 sized frame had become visible. The cause for this, a small jug of honey which had gone airborne in all the confusion, and in the process coating half of Nova in amber colored syrup. To everyone else, it would look like a head and the upper half of his chest was flying through the air, his bottom half and tail unseen. Nova ran, heading towards the door.

Edited by TotallyDrow

Taya finished her last slice of French toast with a smile, it was cooked to perfection and the added cheese and bacon made it even more enjoyable. Slightly thirsty Taya looked for something to drink but could find an empty glass in front her. Looking further down the table she saw a jar of juice but to get to it was going to be troublesome. Using her Telekinesis power the jug of juice stared to flying through the air towards her glass, it tilted slightly pouring some of the fluids into her glass. Smiling pleased the jug floated back where it once was letting Taya enjoy her glass of juice.

Sitting in silence she looked around the room wondering what to do now when she spotted her roommate. With a smile she put down her glass and stood up strolling her way towards the blue haired girl.

“Here you are.” She spoke smiling while she embraced the girl from behind giving her a hug.

Marik sat there savoring that first bite of the honey coated waffle he had just so eagerly devoured. His eyes were closed as he enjoyed its rich taste, as if he were dining at a table in Valhalla, only in this case they were serving delicious waffles.

The sound of a plate shattering and the feeling of being pushed as something seemingly climbed past him caused Marik to open his eyes. Just in time to see the plate of stacked waffles go flying, a slice of waffle landing squarely on his face, the stickiness of the honey syrup causing it to stick to his face. Marik had no idea what had suddenly caused the food to go flying, let alone what it was that had pushed past him.

When Mist felt arms wrap around her, with a voice she didn't really recognise, she grew as stiff as a board, stomach sucked in as to get away from the contact and shoulders hunched. Someone was hugging her. First off, she was tense and nervous from everything happening. Secondly, it wasn't a normal show of affection to her, as her father wasn't the type to hug and her mother and sister didn't really show any affection to her anymore. And she was so shy, she never gave them to anyone. Third, she didn't even know who was hugging her. It could just be a dare from another student. "Please... Gerroff me!" she squeaked, her discomfort quite obvious. Some stranger was hugging her. Why?! "Please, just let me go." Her blue eyes were squeezed shut. People were mean to tease her for her shyness.

Other students were leaving, good. She’d be fine to go. Lea stood up, and just as she was about to reach for her plate, things started to go flying. Startled, she took a step backward, tripping over her chair in the process. “Holy…!” The girl exclaimed, as she fell to the floor, luckily not dragging anyone (or anything) with her. She stood up, and looking around for the source of the flying food, saw that the person she had been sitting by now had a waffle in the middle of his face. Lea burst out laughing. “You know,” She said, wiping food off her clothes, “Waffles usually don’t go on your face,”

((Waffle guy is supposed to be Marik, just in case it isn't obvious^^))

Marik could hear laughter coming from his side, as he peeled the waffle off his face. Honey syrup glistened across parts of his face as he licked his lips. The only bright side of being assaulted by a renegade waffle was that it tasted good.

"I can't help it, if the waffle decides to give my face a hug" replied Marik, looking towards Lea. "Did you manage to see what had happened?" he inquired, "one moment the food is normal... the next they are flying all over the place.." he stated. "... oh btw.. I'm Marik.." he replied, holding out his right hand which too was covered in honey.

Nick rose both eyebrows in confusion when Mist was suddenly hugged from behind by someone she probably didn't know, as she was quite shy. Thinking about it, he soon came to a conclusion as to the identity of this young woman in his brain. "I'm guessing you're her roommate. Nick, nice to meet you." He said, swallowing the food in his mouth and taking another one in. "I got to say, though, Mist's a bit shy with strangers, and I'm quite sure she'd like it if you stopped hugging her. I think a normal handshake and a hello would suffice with a person like her. Oh lord, I started speaking like a noble from the 19'th century!" He spoke, swapping another set of food into his mouth and wiping it along with his hands, then putting the plate and utencils aside, as he had finished his meal and it'd just stay in the way of his tired hands, which he placed on the table. Edited by SkullKrusher

“H-hey.” She spoke looking at Nick slightly odd and letting go of Mist. “And I guess you’re not a stranger? You’ve only met her a few minutes ago.” Taya only shook her head and then bent over and looked over Mist’s shoulder making eye contact with the girl.

“It’s me.” She spoke giving a smile trying not to scare the girl. “Your roommate, we met last night, remember?” Taya straightened herself and greeted the rest of the people around them with a smile before she brought her attention back to Mist.

“Sorry if I caught you off guard there. I was just a bit excited to be able to talk to someone that I sort of know.”

Garth stared at the mess with the wide-eyed gaping expression of someone who'd just seen a giraffe walk into the room. He'd bolted upright out of his chair at the first sign of the commotion, sending his plate tumbling onto the floor. His powers instantly went into 'protection' mode from sheer shock, which didn't help calm anything down; as well as food and people going flying, there was now a chair lying in ruins where a hastily-summoned shadow-tentacle had crushed it like a boa constrictor and Garth had spent a few seconds surrounded by at least ten more tendrils, writhing through the air and lashing out at anything that moved nearby. Now he was a little calmer, though, they had all vanished and the Umbramancer was left staring at his and the mystery figure's combined messes.

What in hell's name was that thing? he asked himself, referring to the head and shoulders made of gravy he'd spotted fleeing the scene. Garth followed the trail of destruction, noting little footprints in the spilt food and trying to imagine what the invisible thing had looked like- nothing human, he was willing to bet. Looking up, he spotted someone he knew introducing himself to a girl he didn't recognise. "Oh hey, Marik. Um, sorry about leaving you earlier..." he added, feeling that he'd been a little mean; he glanced at the floor as he pulled a rumpled handful of kitchen tissue from his jeans pocket, handing it to the other young man like a peace offering. "Hi. I'm Garth Hawdorne, by the way." he added to the girl.

Meanwhile, Conel headed towards the little woodland, his best guess at where the tiger-shifter had gone; distant sounds of speech drifting towards him said that his guess was right and he picked up the pace. I just hope I don't have to clear up any bodies... The students always make a fuss when somebody dies, it's so troublesome.

Mist didn't really relax as the arms were taken away, body still stiff and shoulders hunched. Nick was actually right. Just a hello would be good. She blinked at Taya as she leaned over to look at her. At least she had apologised. The girl seemed really chatty, at least from the brief time they had been awake together last night and right now. Really friendly too. Her eyes nervously darted about; she was surrounded by more people than ever! Suddenly feeling claustrophobic, she sunk down slightly. It was as if she was some sort of magnet for strange people talking to her. Normally she wasn't so noticeable. Mist was considering getting up and sneaking away somewhere, by she didn't really want to be separated from Abel or seem rude.

Nick nodded in agreement with the new girl that had arrived. "We just sat opposite of each other, just like we do right now, and I decided to introduce myself. She introduced herself as well and we went back to eating." He said, turning his gaze to Mist. "You seem to be kind of nervous about all the people around you. If you want to, you and your friend can go outside, have a chat if you want. Maybe check out the rooms as well, although Dr. Conel still hasn't said anything about that. But if you do feel nervous, go have a breath outside." He said, then turned his gaze back to the new girl that had arrived. "Didn't quite catch your name back there." Nick added to his words before waiting for a response by one of the two young women in front of him.

(( biggrin.gif ))

“No, sorry, but I didn’t see.” Lea said, shaking her head in reply. “I was too busy trying to avoid the food myself. I think I did a slightly better job.” She said jokingly, even though she had been hit by some food as well. She picked up her plate from the floor, using the break Garth’s arrival gave her to clean up her part of the mess. Spotting the hand Marik held out for her, she shook it, grimacing a little as she felt all the honey. Oh well, she had to clean up anyways. “Lea Pine.” She said, directing it two both of the boys by her with a friendly smile.

Mist's expression seemed to turn even more overwhelmed with each sentence the boy with red hair said. He was so bossy, telling her what to do with all this chatter. It really was upsetting the girl. They were all talking and suggesting things, and the noise was so very loud. Paired up with the stress of this being her first day of school, it wasn't exactly a good combination. She really was becoming miserable with all these people about. But they were all around her... Urgh! If Nick told her to do something one more time, she would snap and probably actually shout or something. It would be vey unlike her, but sometimes things made calm people turn into, well, not calm people.

((Temptation for Skully? ;D))

Edited by Chicogal

After helping Lea back up, Marik turned to look at Garth. "Not a problem.." he replied, giving a small smile. "I don't suppose you have any idea what happened Garth?" he questioned. As he did so, he reached out for a knapkin which seemingly avoided the momentary explosion of food and began to wipe clean his hands and face, before the ants decided to have an all you can eat buffet of honey on his face. "unless of course its normal for food to suddenly jump off their plates?"

Nova fled the room, not caring if anybody saw the door randomly open and close. He had hoped that the unfortunate commotion he had caused would have been a big enough distraction, allowing him to leave.

In his mad dash, he had managed to make it to the very top of the stairs before stopping, to take a breath. His heart was beating at a fast rate due to all the adrenaline and he needed to calm down. If anyone had looked close enough, they would be able to see his gravy covered form and a floating sandwich.

Edited by TotallyDrow

Abel had been so absorbed in his book that the arrival of another boy and two girls completely bypassed him. The piece on the Atlantis of the Sands and Lawrence's hopes of returning to Arabia to find it was highly intriguing. Abel himself was hoping to launch and expedition there one day. He couldn't get into too much trouble in the middle of six hundred miles of desert, could he?

He came back to the present world just as a boy he didn't know was suggesting to Mist that she go and look around the school. Abel closed his book and shook his head.

"There isn't enough time for that. Lessons will start soon and believe me when I say you do not want to be late for Gym. Boom has a special way of dealing with tardiness."

Nick turned his gaze back to the high guy, whom had finally shut that book. Whatever it was about - some Arabian things or whatever, at least that's what he saw from the inverted letters on the pages. "And hello to you. Nick." He said, then continued. "You've gotta be joking me - first thing, we go exercising. And since you've already been here for a while, what is this 'special way'? If I gotta guess, it has to do something with explosions?" Nick spoke, obviously guessing that by the name of the gym instructor - I mean, who'd name himself Boom and not be slightly involved with explosives and explosions? Turning his gaze to face Mist, he noted something. "You have some butter on your chin." He said, then turned back to the older and a bit higher person that sat next to her.

"Sometimes" admitted Abel. "It all depends on how inventive he is feeling."

Checking his watch he decided it was probably time to get ready for said Gym class. It wasn't his favourite lesson, not being a big fan of sports, but he had to admit he was a lot less weedy now after three years of Boom's tutorlage. And if he was going to survive places like the Rub' al Khali, he would need to be fit enough to do so.

Shoving the book under his arm Abel stood up.

"I'm going to Gym now. Would you like me to show any of you the way?"

He looked at Mist as he finished the sentance. Although he had only known her a short while he felt somewhat responsible for her and did not want to abandon her on her own.

((As the Gym is not located on the maps, shall I assume it is a seperate building in the grounds?))

Mist glared at Nick. It wasn't much of a glare, but she felt angry. His comment had made it even worse. "Stop telling me what to do! Just... Just go away!" she said, waving her hands about a bit in a foreign gesture. However, once finished, she did take a napkin and huffily wipe it away. He was rude. She didn't become like this easily. It was probably the effect of her already being stressed and the hug and everything. He was just the focal point. Looking across to Abel, her anger seemed to just... Float away. Probably his calm ways and everything. She was actually feeling quite embarrassed about her small outburst. "Yes please," she said softly, dipping her head. Her eyes darted downward before coming back up. A skirt probably wasn't the best choice for Gym. But she would rather have the wrong clothing than be late, from the sound of Coach Boom.

“I’m Taya and it s pleasure to meet.” She spoke tilting her head a bit. She wasn’t sure what to do next when the guy next to Mist started talking, clearly he wasn’t as new as they were and that made Taya happy a bit. A little bit of guidance in the new school is rather welcoming.

“Well if exercising is first on the list then I better get a quick change. Can’t go jumping around with PJ’s and a gown.” She spoke smiling and already turning around when she stopped.

“Um… Where is the gym before I just disappear?” she asked those who was around to hear.

~~

Dias at his food in silence and didn’t talk much, the boy had felt rather lonely even thou there were people around to talk with. He wasn’t the best guy to start a conversation but he had to try. Watching as students started to leave the dining hall Dias looked worried he wasn’t sure what was going on or where to go.

Listening to conversations he heard someone ask something about gym. That must be the first class, maybe I should follow those people and see what I should do he thought to himself finally standing up from his seat.

((Ciao, I'm just trying to deal with the backlog of being away for the weekend - I will have a post out within 24hrs. -KM))

Nick stared at Mist, and stood a bit confused when she burst out, although he soon changed to an angrier expression. "Fine! Be it your way! People can't even be nice here..." He spoke, and got up in a rush of confusion and a bit of anger, walking up the stairs toward the dorms. He had already eaten, and he wanted to change into something else for Gym, since the clothes he had on didn't quite match what the instructor'd say for them to wear. Not really remembering that he had a ready pair of clothes in his gym locker, he climbed up the stairs, and suddenly noticed something confusing that simply baffled him. It appeared to be a floating sandwich with gravy around it! Not really in the mood to think about it, Nick rounded the corner and unlocked the door, entering and approaching the wardrobe. Grabbing a comfortable pair of black and red track pants, along with a black t-shirt with a flaming wolf. Quickly putting them on, Nick put the other clothes back in the wardrobe, locked the door once more, quickly checked the floor plans on the wall and started going down the stairs.

After helping Lea back up, Marik turned to look at Garth. "Not a problem.." he replied, giving a small smile. "I don't suppose you have any idea what happened Garth?" he questioned. As he did so, he reached out for a knapkin which seemingly avoided the momentary explosion of food and began to wipe clean his hands and face, before the ants decided to have an all you can eat buffet of honey on his face. "unless of course its normal for food to suddenly jump off their plates?"

"I don't know. I heard something move around in the corner there and I think it was the same thing that made this mess... Something small and invisible. Since the only invisible guy I know is over there in the skirt (yeah, that's a guy.), I have idea who it could have been..." Garth admitted, stepping over a forlorn-looking pancake splattered all over the floor and sighing; it looked like someone was going to have a job cleaning that up. Dr Conel wouldn't be happy if/when he saw that, not happy at all... Looking up from the disaster, he spotted pupils leaving the Hall in dribs and drabs, this jogging a memory in his head. The Umbramancer clicked his fingers, turning to Lea and Marik.

"Gym starts soon, so if you have anything that you could exercise in I'd go and change now... Coach Boom hates people being late- yeah, it'd be even worse than being late for Dr Conel's speech." he added, flashing a grin at Marick. If the other boy wasn't careful, he'd get a reputation for lateness on his first day... And Conel might be inspired to try and speed him up, which would be a disaster for pretty much everyone involved.

((*facepalms, headdesks, deskwindows* I just don't know anymore.))