auroshen

Raising Dragons for Rare Eggs

I got another idea to help decrease the number of eggs in the AP. We could have quests that went like, "Raise (x) amount of (x) breed (which should be common) dragons to continue quest." Then, after dragons have been raised, quest has been finished, the quester would be rewarded by a rare dragon that you can only get from the quest. There could be certain quests only unlockable by trophy, like silver and gold, and stuff.. but I'm getting ahead of myself.

What do you guys think?

There are very similar projects in the trading section of this forum, except it is users rewarding AP and cave cleaning with rares.

I personally doubt something that would guarantee you getting a rare would ever happen in the cave [at least not a current rare, I can maybe imagine a special dragon that is gotten by a method like that].

Eggs rewarded from things like quests is considered spontanious egg creation which TJ stated is a no go. the GoN BSA is the only spontanious egg creation allowed on the site.

In all honesty, the only reason the commons are so common is because we users over breed them and don't keep them nor raise them, including the cave ones. No one really wants more of such and such breed so they arn't grabbed like they should. A quest to raise more just to get a rare won't solve it.

Eggs rewarded from things like quests is considered spontanious egg creation which TJ stated is a no go. the GoN BSA is the only spontanious egg creation allowed on the site.

In all honesty, the only reason the commons are so common is because we users over breed them and don't keep them nor raise them, including the cave ones. No one really wants more of such and such breed so they arn't grabbed like they should. A quest to raise more just to get a rare won't solve it.

No, they're not common because we overbreed them, but because we don't raise enough of them. Personally, I'd do pretty much any kind of quest that I can for a CB rare, even if it means raising 100 commons of breed X and 100 more of breed Y. How many users are active on DC, anyway? A couple of 10,000? So, how many of them would participate in such a quest? 1,000? 10,000? Just imagine how many commons that would take from the cave... Especially if you can do this kind of quest over and over again. biggrin.gif

Okay... so no spontaneous egg creation? A badge sounds good, though. But maybe a CB rare would make people want to do it more. Dolphinsong and olympe both have a good point.

Edit: # of users? I'd say around 150,000 on dragcave, 100,000 on the forum.

Edited by cheese456

The other reason this wouldn't work is its forcing players to play a different way just for the 'rare egg' at the end of the quest. Many of us only want a certain number of each breed, such a quest would utterly destroy that goal and force us to do mass abandments just to get back to our goals.

Hmm yeah... Perhaps the dragons could be removed at the end of the quest? But "removed" sounds like a problem.

It wouldn't have to be a certain breed; you could make the goal include several different breeds to give the player a choice. In fact, there could be several goal badges: one for aquatic (waterwalkers, flamingos, waverunners, etc.), one for earth dragons (pebble, stones, nocturnes, etc.), one for plant-related (terrae, canopy, neotropicals, etc.), and so on.

It wouldn't have to be a certain breed; you could make the goal include several different breeds to give the player a choice. In fact, there could be several goal badges: one for aquatic (waterwalkers, flamingos, waverunners, etc.), one for earth dragons (pebble, stones, nocturnes, etc.), one for plant-related (terrae, canopy, neotropicals, etc.), and so on.

Still run into the problem of ppl perfering to stick to a certain number of each breed. For example, I only want 2 of each adult, one of each gender, 2 mature hatchlings, again one of each gender, and one ungendered hatchling. I've basically got my goal currently complete in terms of adults right now save for 2 negleteds I'm still needing.

I don't want to be forced to raise a ton of commons just for a badge or reward only to have to release them afterwards. The problem will still exist for the most part.

Best way to solve unwanted commons is to come up with unique hybrid ideas (with permission from artists of the breeds the hybrid is from)

I'm with Dolphinsong. That isn't how I play, and the remove thingy won't help. Plus with other statements, no support.

The other problem I have with this. It is VERY much like GTX's Exploration quests in how it sounds.

I would hate to spend months upon months just to get a cb rare dragon I could get in-cave -- nevermind the fact that it's 'new and special' -- No vote from me.

I like the idea of quests, but not the idea of a rare dragon as the prize. Perhaps instead the rewards could be something like new scroll backgrounds, the option to change Snow Angel colors, maybe a chance to 'refresh' a BSA so you can use it again sooner--fun stuff that would be a nice reward, but wouldn't give anyone anything so amazing that it was deemed unfair.

As for what the quests could be--perhaps there could be a random assortment of quests, with the option to 'refresh' and get a new one if the current one didn't fit scroll goals (although I find the idea of catering to people who are already choosing to limit themselves silly, it'd still be nice to be able to flip through a few if some were less appealing than others).

Some quest ideas:

- Use a BSA a certain number of times

- Freeze a certain amount of hatchlings

- Get a certain number of eggs of the same type on your scroll at once

- Give a dragon a name starting with a certain letter

- Catch a dragon with a code containing a certain symbol

- Raise a certain number of a breed

- Get X amount of offspring from one pairing

- Raise a dragon with a particular amount of views

And again, you'd have an option to refresh and get a new quest--if my quest was to breed my CB Gold to a tenth gen inbred Green, then of course I'd pass and look for a more appealing quest. Perhaps you could only refresh three times per day, to keep the cave from exploding with constant resets? If you ended on a junk one you could just start refreshing again the next day.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Changing snow angel colors is a nono, the artists to my knowledge is against changing them as it was ment to be random, not change to people's tastes.

I'd prefer if things like this stayed user-run, as we have in the trading section, rather than actually on-site.

As for other ideas of on-site quests, please optional only. Things like search and hoard, which give neat things rather than perks. Or like battling, which gives entertainment. :3

Some quest ideas:

- Use a BSA a certain number of times

- Freeze a certain amount of hatchlings

- Get a certain number of eggs of the same type on your scroll at once

- Give a dragon a name starting with a certain letter

- Catch a dragon with a code containing a certain symbol

- Raise a certain number of a breed

- Get X amount of offspring from one pairing

- Raise a dragon with a particular amount of views

Neither of these ideas is better than "raise X amount of [insert common breed here]", because each of them could go against someone's personal scroll goal:

• There are people who don't freeze at all. (The only frozen item on my scroll is a leetle tree.)
  • That might be more eggs than the person wants on their scroll. Sure, they could abandon them, and it would be no more than 7 of them, but what about rare or uncommons? Some people just cannot get them, and (rare) breeding is highly unreliable.
  • Some people don't name their dragons, and don't want them to be named.
  • Pretty strange idea, but some people don't care about codes.
  • See complaints by other users.
  • Some people don't breed, and don't want to. Besides, there's the problem of AP blockage if people overbreed their commons. (And breeding commons will help you reach the goal that much faster...)
  • Too random, really.
Edited by olympe

Neither of these ideas is better than "raise X amount of [insert common breed here]", because each of them could go against someone's personal scroll goal:
  • There are people who don't freeze at all. (The only frozen item on my scroll is a leetle tree.)
  • That might be more eggs than the person wants on their scroll. Sure, they could abandon them, and it would be no more than 7 of them, but what about rare or uncommons? Some people just cannot get them, and (rare) breeding is highly unreliable.
  • Some people don't name their dragons, and don't want them to be named.
  • Pretty strange idea, but some people don't care about codes.
  • See complaints by other users.
  • Some people don't breed, and don't want to. Besides, there's the problem of AP blockage if people overbreed their commons. (And breeding commons will help you reach the goal that much faster...)
  • Too random, really.

Which is exactly why I said you choose to shuffle for a new goal option three times a day. And if absolutely NONE of the goals I listed are workable for a person's goals, then they're honestly being too picky.

Don't force people to change their goals, that is not at all liked here on DC. This is why some 'unlock' features is an Either/Or seranio, where you can unlock features either through Age of account AND/OR raise a certain number of dragons. This way people with goals like mine can go for the age option while others can go for the faster raise an army option.

Don't force people to change their goals, that is not at all liked here on DC.

This. I play as I play and I do NOT want to have to play the way someone else wants or lose out on basic game stuff (like new dragons etc) because they had a Big Idea. smile.gif

I raise tons of commons anyway - for my already existing goals.... Which are clearly not your goals - and that's fine. You don't have to play my way either xd.png

Edited by fuzzbucket

You guys are all acting like goals would force people to somehow completely change their styles. No. The ones I suggested (which are just examples, mind you) are largely easy to do and won't affect anyone negatively, scroll goals or not. Let me go over them again.

- Use a BSA a certain number of times: if the BSA that comes up for the goal is for a dragon you don't collect, then just refresh. Eventually you'll get one that matches one of your dragons, I'm sure. Splash, incubate, fertility, influence, even teleport--just use one a few times and you're done. For some reason have no BSA dragons? Fine, choose to reset the goal and go for a different one.

- Freeze a certain amount of hatchlings: this one definitely has some consequences if you don't like freezing, or simply don't want many frozens. However, you could freeze and release--or, again, choose to shuffle for a new goal.

- Get a certain number of eggs of the same type on your scroll at once: unless this asks for a really rare dragon (unlikely!), this will ask you to get a few commons. But it doesn't ask you to KEEP them. Grab five greens or two mints or whatever from the AP, nab the goal, and dump. Easy as pie, and your scroll isn't hurt in the slightest. If it asks for something absurd, like grab five golds at once--shuffle.

- Give a dragon a name starting with a certain letter: name a dragon and unname. Goal accomplished.

- Catch a dragon with a code containing a certain symbol: hunt the AP, find a dragon with needed symbol, and dump.

- Raise a certain number of a breed: if you don't want that amount of that particular breed, then just shuffle for a new option.

- Get X amount of offspring from one pairing: if you don't want to breed that pair together, then shuffle for a new option.

- Raise a dragon with a particular amount of views: I apologize if this was unclear; I didn't mean a specific number (like needs 388 UV or something) but rather that the goal would be "raise a dragon with over 800 UVs" or something along that lines. Since the amount of time it takes to raise a dragon has no impact on that dragon as an adult, again, this will have no negative impact whatsoever if you choose to go for it.

I understand that people have specific goals for their scroll. I have my own as well. But people act like even putting up suggestions for OPTIONAL ways for people to play is somehow crippling to everyone else.

If this was implemented, it wouldn't give out any great rewards. No rares, no extra egg spaces, no super fast view gain mode. It'd be simple little fun stuff. And again, as I hope I showed above, most of these things can be done in very little time without ever having to even keep a new dragon on one's scroll, so I fail to see how it would be harmful to anyone.

You seem to not understand. Shuffling our goal is basically forcing us to change them. And you are also forcing us to raise additional dragons outside of those goals and forcing us to mass release in order to remain at our orginal goal. THAT is where we are against it.

Now, if you make it an EITHER/OR situation, such as Account Age at 4 years or more AND/OR 500 dragons on scroll, then its fine as there are TWO options for those of us with strict goals. But having only ONE option that requires forcing people away from the goals (And I'm sorry, mass release is NOT fun nor something those of us with very little time want to do)

I'd say the "get x number of dragons/eggs of y type" thing should only be commons. It'd be rather annoying for it to come up and have it be golds.

You seem to not understand. Shuffling our goal is basically forcing us to change them. And you are also forcing us to raise additional dragons outside of those goals and forcing us to mass release in order to remain at our orginal goal. THAT is where we are against it.

Now, if you make it an EITHER/OR situation, such as Account Age at 4 years or more AND/OR 500 dragons on scroll, then its fine as there are TWO options for those of us with strict goals. But having only ONE option that requires forcing people away from the goals (And I'm sorry, mass release is NOT fun nor something those of us with very little time want to do)

I... do not understand what you are saying.

This would be optional. Go into account settings. Goals on/off.

Off -> Ye see nothing. Carry on with your own means of DC-related fun.

On -> At the top of your scroll appears a goofy little 'scroll goal' for you to do. If you do not like it, you may hit a 'shuffle' button. A new goal appears for you to try. You may do three shuffles per day. If you still end up stuck with a stinker, you can simply reshuffle the next day.

Even if you have goals turned on, you need not do them. I could have a goal that says "Catch 3 Nebulas" and go about my Thunder x Sunsong breeding projects and ignore it. However, if I DID choose to catch three Nebulas, then, or the next day, or in two weeks, then click! I have completed that goal.

Having completed that goal, I get a small and silly reward. Perhaps I get one common BSA action (incubate/teleport/etc) to use. Perhaps for a day I can make my dragons display their Christmas decoration sprites. Or mayhaps I can make my scroll background a bunch of smiley faces for the day. These are just examples for prizes, of course, but the end idea would be the same--small, silly, not anything remarkable.

This sounds a bit like achievements to me. Basically, getting oddball little messages when doing random things around the site. I know a few rabid achievement hunters that would certainly be happy to see such a thing. Given the way badges are multiplying, it seems we are headed that way regardless eh?