auroshen

Raising Dragons for Rare Eggs

Ditto.  You just can't have an incentive good enough to cause people to raise eggs but at the same time won't cause outcry from people who don't want to change their playing style but want the incentive.  Non-egg prizes just aren't a big enough incentive unless someone can come up with something really cool, but that would cause the same outcry.

This really comes down to the fact that you can't please everyone.

Well, then maybe some toes should be stepped on. Put a poll on the main site, and let THAT decide, rather than this endless debating.

I think the options should be:

-yes to quests, prize is CB Rare (that can be traded and can breed)

-yes to quests, prize is CB Rare (that cannot be traded but can breed)

-yes to quests, prize is CB Rare (that can be traded but cannot breed)

-yes to quests, prize is CB Rare (that cannot be traded and cannot breed)

-yes to quests, prize is non-egg prize

-no to quests

Edited by stogucheme

I still dont understand what the big uproar is with this idea. Maybe someone could explain it in better words besides that "I don't like it because it'll clutter my scroll/spontanious egg creation sucks/I don't want to be bothered"

In my opinion, if you don't like it, don't do it. Just like the raffle/decorating contests. This doesn't have to change the way you play, but it'll be something nice for people who's slow internet won't allow them to get rares. I know of several people who have gone YEARS without obtaining a single CB metal.

For the issue of releasing dragon, maybe someone could recieve a notification that the dragons used to earn the prize dragon have been released and the prize could be removed. Or maybe even an automatic removal?

And prices could be set for the rare. So if you want a CB metal, you have to show a lot of determination. Not just "oh, I collected so many ___ I can choose anything!" but more of a "okay, I raised ___ amount of dragons. I can pick __, ___, or ___". Y'know?

I'm going to chime in here and say I'd love the idea of this. This is no different than joining any of the multitudes of "Collect X to get Y" game/projects on the Trading board. If you don't want to collect a bunch of dragons you don't want, you don't have to play and life goes on as usual for you.

As far as I see, offering something like this doesn't bother the people who want to hunt the cave in the slightest. In fact, it helps them, since this seems to require you catch CB commons, not bred ones. The only place you're going to get those is the cave, and now the rare hunters get to sit and enjoy watching the traffic there flow, knowing those commons are going to be kept for a quest-count and won't be dumped into the AP to block the cave five hours later.

And honestly, do the math, even if you had enough reds to never run out of Incubates, there is still a limit on scroll-space. It would take the average player least two months to even add 50-70 new dragons to their scroll, so there's no reason to get all up in arms about a sudden deluge of quest-gained rares showing up in trades, it simply won't happen, because the eggs take too long to raise and real life happens.

And the suggestion to count these "prizes" as a different coded rare breed that can breed the cave-caught type of breed is brilliant and neatly evades the ratio destroying effect this type of thing could cause on cave/bred populations.

The only thing I could suggest to add to this discussion is that, so long as they were raised to adulthood on a scroll, released, wild dragons should count in the ratios for the year. But you could release them and keep your prize, then catch a whole new set for another quest. You can summon a GoN and then release all your trios, but it doesn't make your GoN dissapear. And if you want to summon another, you'll have to go catch some new trios again.

I don't see why bred ones shouldn't be allowed. Even if they're not directly helping the cave catchers, they're still fulfilling the ratios need to have them raised to adulthood and fewer of the blockers would be created by the cave. Maybe a limit of half bred at most, that way they still have to help physically clear the cave.

The problem with allowing them to be released later is that the whole point of the quests is to get people to raise commons, especially the blockers. If they raise them and them immediately make it so they don't count for the ratios then it's all for naught, since the cave would have to make more blockers than before because suddenly 500 blockers just dropped off the face of the earth.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Hence why released dragons should still count for a year, so long as they were raised to adulthood on a scroll, so they'll be counted as an owned adult dragon by whatever mechanism the game uses. Since owned dragons aren't counted over for next year anyway, it shouldn't change anything. That would stop people from hatching eggs, then freeze/releasing hatchlings.

Alternatively, the dragons could be raised to adulthood, be "cashed in" for a prize, then have an option to release them or something like that, something to mark them as a quest set.

Hence why released dragons should still count for a year, so long as they were raised to adulthood on a scroll.

They can't exist as released adults unless they WERE raised to adulthood on a scroll. Released hatchies stay hatchies, I believe ?

Edited by fuzzbucket

Hence why released dragons should still count for a year, so long as they were raised to adulthood on a scroll, so they'll be counted as an owned adult dragon by whatever mechanism the game uses.  Since owned dragons aren't counted over for next year anyway, it shouldn't change anything.  That would stop people from hatching eggs, then freeze/releasing hatchlings.

Alternatively, the dragons could be raised to adulthood, be "cashed in" for a prize, then have an option to release them or something like that, something to mark them as a quest set.

I still think they should be kept for a year- as in, you cannot abandon them for a year. Although. There should be a button "Release all dragons obtained in this quest."

ETA: Maybe there should be a button you click that will release all dragons once they hit a year, and you can turn it off if you want. (But this way, if you obtained 10 dragons in May and 20 in June and etc., etc., you won't have to worry about waiting until they're all a year old to release them.)

@Fuzzy: This is going to start a firestorm. That spot would be more coveted than a CB rare.

Edited by stogucheme

HOW ABOUT an extra holiday slot ? That shouldn't hurt ANYONE ? But only one per holiday dragon until you have an extra slot for every holiday, then you start over ?

Some other kind of reward would be nice though. I do love Howrse's objectives. Maybe we could have something similar on DC. Maybe quests could give a temporary extra egg slot? tongue.gif

I don't know... sometimes an extra egg slot wouldn't work because people don't raise a lot of dragons at a time. I think fuzzy's holiday idea is GREAT though.