Pixxelation

Renaming Fix - Accept Capitalization Diff

I used a search and couldn't find this, so here goes:

I am loving being able to rename. I remember when we couldn't, way back in the BC of Dragon Cave. It is an awesome new feature, but there is one thing I can't stand. If I name a dragon, sometimes I accidentally hold down the shifft key too long and the second letter of the name is also capitalized. If I don't realize that, I might hit the enter button, and name the dragon. However, I have noticed that I can't simply go and rename the dragon to fix the error, because the "name is already taken". Here's an example:

Me: Goes to unnamed White.

Me: Hits "Name"

Me: Typed in the name "TEst 123"

Me: Hits enter

Me: Notices capital fail after hitting enter

Me: Tries to rename dragon "Test 123"

Cave: NAME TAKEN! U no change >8^D-)=(.

Me: FUUUUUUU!!!!!

Now, it is possible to fix it by changing the name to something else, then back to the intended name, but this gets very annoying, and takes up time. Another issue with this method is that there is a very tiny chance someone could nab the name in the gap between renamings. If it is possible, I would like the Cave to detect that the name belongs to the dragon already, and renames it. Here's an example of what I would like:

Me: Goes to unnamed White.

Me: Hits "Name"

Me: Typed in the name "TEst 123"

Me: Hits enter

Me: Notices capital fail after hitting enter

Me: Tries to rename dragon "Test 123"

Cave: Dragon is now named "Test 123"

Thoughts?

Edited by PieMaster

Yes, I support this very much so. There have been times I try to play around to see which capitalization works best (ex: Bells of the Heart vs. Bells Of The Heart) and it's rather annoying to always have to unname before I can rename.

Definitely support. It does get very annoying when that happens.

I don't think there's much else to say. I won't die if this doesn't get implemented, but it certainly would be nice if it was.

o_O Um...

I've named a dragon then gone right in and changed it instantly without unnaming it before when I notice a spelling fail. Also, just tested to be sure I wasn't imagining things and I named a hatchling then went right in and renamed it without unnaming it...

o_O Um...

I've named a dragon then gone right in and changed it instantly without unnaming it before when I notice a spelling fail. Also, just tested to be sure I wasn't imagining things and I named a hatchling then went right in and renamed it without unnaming it...

We're talking about fixing capitalization issues, not typos. The names "Flamer" and "Flaner" are recognized as two different names, so you can rename them instantly. However "Turtle" and "TUrtle" are both considered the same name, so you have to unname before you can rename.

I still want the cave to recognize a name as unique regardless of what's capitalized in it (so we don't have, say, Spyro and SPyro and SPYro and SPYRO in the cave), but I'd also like it if the cave would allow one to change capitalization without having to entirely unname first. As the OP is suggesting. smile.gif

Um, but some people intend those capitals for lineage or other reasons. How would the cave tell the difference?

Of course you have to un-name dragons to fix cap typos.. in the system, its registereing the name taken. Name is taken therefore you cant use it. The only way I can think of to fix it would involve allowing multiple dragons the same name, which really doesnt work all that well on this site sad.gif

There must be SOME way the Cave can tell that the dragon being renamed has that name with slightly different capitalization.

Of course you have to un-name dragons to fix cap typos.. in the system, its registereing the name taken. Name is taken therefore you cant use it. The only way I can think of to fix it would involve allowing multiple dragons the same name, which really doesnt work all that well on this site sad.gif

If there was some way to code it to recognize when a user was just trying to update a name (ex: the cave recognizing that a capitalization is trying to be altered on a dragon that already possesses that name, as opposed to thinking it's a different player trying to take the name) then that would be fixed.

You are right that the current cave is incapable of doing such a thing--which is why I'd like to see something done to change it. I agree that I don't want names with different capital letters to be treated as different names, but I'd also like it to be a bit faster to change capitals. ^^

It's reasonably easy to fix.

(1)

You'd change the name check URL to look like...

http://dragcave.net/namecheck/The+name/c0d3

...instead of...

http://dragcave.net/namecheck/The+name

(2)

Then you'd change the program to check whether the name is taken with a database query roughly like...

"SELECT COUNT(code) FROM dragons WHERE code != {code-being-updated} AND name = '{name-being-taken}'"

...instead of...

"SELECT COUNT(code) FROM dragons WHERE name = '{name-being-taken}'"

(Bonus (3): If you want to let people check for names without looking for them for a certain dragon, you can still let the old version work for URLs that don't have /c0d3.)

In short: The name of the dragon the name of which you're changing is the only you're not considering, and that should be reasonably easy to account for.

I'm still only a newbie so my opinion is probably not worth much, but I think you should not be able to rename dragons at all.

There should be a big CAPS ONLY notice (along with the innappropriate names one already present) warning that once a name is chosen that it will remain so forever. I mean BIG.

Make a HUGE deal about naming, rather than something you can change according to the day of the week if you really wanted to.

I just dont like the idea of getting a dragon that has a lineage with names you like, only to have someone else change a name thus changing the entire lineage of YOUR dragon.

I literally have ZERO control of dragons on my own scroll. Am I the only one that thinks this?

(I'm not 100% that dragons earlier on in a lineage can change their name and it actually does show up on all offspring lineage pages, I am just assuming)

I'm still only a newbie so my opinion is probably not worth much, but I think you should not be able to rename dragons at all.

There should be a big CAPS ONLY notice (along with the innappropriate names one already present) warning that once a name is chosen that it will remain so forever. I mean BIG.

Make a HUGE deal about naming, rather than something you can change according to the day of the week if you really wanted to.

I just dont like the idea of getting a dragon that has a lineage with names you like, only to have someone else change a name thus changing the entire lineage of YOUR dragon.

I literally have ZERO control of dragons on my own scroll. Am I the only one that thinks this?

(I'm not 100% that dragons earlier on in a lineage can change their name and it actually does show up on all offspring lineage pages, I am just assuming)

Most people dont change their names all the time. If you dont want random people changing the names of dragons in your lineages, then you should collect the dragons needed to make your own lineages. Rename has been a huge help for many many people though, myself included. I am in the process of moving the names of my frozen lyric armies onto adult dragons so i can actually breed them out.

That used to be the case, people complained. Having been a player for 3 years now, I sometimes decide to change my naming theme, to match my older personality/new interests. Plus the typo thing.

Even if names were once-only, you still wouldn't have control over the ancestors of lineaged dragons on your scroll. People could kill their dragons, or go inactive and thus have all their dragons lose their names. So taking away the renaming feature wouldn't really help you.

Naming a dragon is still a very important thing for me, because every name must be unique and I don't use surnames like some other users do. However I greatly enjoy being able to play around to see how different names for my lineages, or being able to fix accidental typos or capitalization in multiple word names that don't look quite right. Although I do try to have fixed names for a dragon before I use them for breeding. wink.gif

Not to mention renaming can be useful for other reasons--there was one time I actually managed to convince someone I was trading with to change their dragon's names to make their offspring appealing for me. xd.png;;

If this is simple to code, I see no problem with it. Although I will say that the times I've had to do immediate renames I didn't particularly find it an overwhelming burden. But, hey, if it can be easily improved, then I'd support a change to streamline the process.

But you do have control over the dragons on your scroll - you can release the ones with lineage name changes, kill them, rename them to fit. What you're actually asking for is control over other players' scrolls.

The thing about lineages is that they don't actually belong to the dragons in them. All they are are pictures of other people's dragons that you can see in your dragon's history. Sometimes that picture is very pleasing to the owners of the dragons further down the line, and sometimes it's not, but just because they're arranged in a certain manner doesn't give anyone but the owner control over every aspect of them.

I do think that if someone trades with you based on a specific lineage being constant and then they make changes that significantly affect that, that's poor gaming etiquette but, as people have pointed out, if you want absolute security it's probably best to build your own lineages.

People could kill their dragons, or go inactive and thus have all their dragons lose their names. So taking away the renaming feature wouldn't really help you.

I was unaware of the 2 months of inactivity thing until now and for that reason I might not ever name a dragon again.

The effort I could go to (once I have more than the 40-ish I have now) is just not worth the let down. ALLLL that hard work in naming, even researching subjects for unique names and it can all be wiped clean if I dont come online in 2 months? 8 weeks is really not that much time at all...

I find this absolutely ridiculous. If I goto hospital for an extended period...what happens? Bye bye names.

If I go on a holiday lasting more than 2 months what happens? I have to find an internet cafe so I can check my dragons?

If my phone and internet bill hasnt been paid and I dont have access to the net...Bye bye names.

Too much effort for the possibility of it all being wasted. I will name a few here and there, but in general my interest in naming my dragons is waning.

I was unaware of the 2 months of inactivity thing until now and for that reason I might not ever name a dragon again.

The effort I could go to (once I have more than the 40-ish I have now) is just not worth the let down. ALLLL that hard work in naming, even researching subjects for unique names and it can all be wiped clean if I dont come online in 2 months? 8 weeks is really not that much time at all...

I find this absolutely ridiculous. If I goto hospital for an extended period...what happens? Bye bye names.

If I go on a holiday lasting more than 2 months what happens? I have to find an internet cafe so I can check my dragons?

If my phone and internet bill hasnt been paid and I dont have access to the net...Bye bye names.

Too much effort for the possibility of it all being wasted. I will name a few here and there, but in general my interest in naming my dragons is waning.

Aw c'mon, it's not that bad. I have 700+ named dragons and haven't lost any ever, and I've been playing for four years. X'D

Look--in the event that the worst happens (hospital, bills, etc), then I imagine you have family or friends who you could contact and ask to spend literally two minutes logging in for you. That's ALL you need every two months to keep from losing their names.

And even if the very worst did happen--perhaps frequently save a list of your dragon's names? If your names have as much effort and research put into them as you're saying, then most of them probably won't be taken by other users even if you do lose the names, leaving you free to reclaim the majority. smile.gif

Anyway, to focus again--I think the example pinkgothic showed is perfect. If the cave could somehow recognize that the dragon having it's capital letters fiddled with was already the dragon bearing that name, then it could go ahead and allow it.

A good example is the renaming feature deviantArt just implemented. If people wish, they can change just the capitals in their name instead of picking a whole new name, and the site allows them to. If that site is intelligent enough to recognize that it's not a new name altogether, or someone else trying to claim the name, then I imagine something similiar could be done here. ^^

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Or just STAY logged in on a main comp. I am not afraid to admit I never log out.

Or just STAY logged in on a main comp. I am not afraid to admit I never log out.

I believe that even if you are still technically logged in on a certain computer, your names will reset if no activity occurs on your scroll.

In my almost year absence, even though I do stay logged into sites I'm on (since I'm the only one who uses whatever comp or lappy I have at the time), the computer/laptop does get re-started and I switched from a desktop PC to a Mac laptop (and cleared cookies every once in a while). Even staying logged in, these actions will log you out and you will lose your names if you're gone long enough. If that's what you're replying to. x3

I still want the cave to recognize a name as unique regardless of what's capitalized in it (so we don't have, say, Spyro and SPyro and SPYro and SPYRO in the cave), but I'd also like it if the cave would allow one to change capitalization without having to entirely unname first. As the OP is suggesting. smile.gif

Why not? People already get around the "no duplicate names" thing with less elegant methods.

I don't know how the cave currently works, but since capital letters and lowercase letters are usually encoded as separate characters, I assume it would be easy to add case sensitivity to names and eliminate this problem, but it would allow two different dragons to be named Spyro and SPyro.

However, it may be the case that urls are always case-insensitive, meaning such an easy solution would be pretty impossible unless we eliminate the "no duplicate names" thing entirely, likely by removing the name version of the url.

A less easy fix would be to check if the "taken" name belongs to the dragon you happen to be renaming right now, and if that's the case, ignore it. So if you have a dragon with code 12345 named SPyro and you want to change it to Spyro, the site says, "oh, there's already a dragon called Spyro, but it has code 12345 and so does this dragon so I'll allow the name change anyway." I don't know how possible that is, though - it would depend on how the site checks if the name is a dupe or not.