stogucheme

Death Cap

Okay, so you're a newb, and you don't know how many views an egg needs. Your eggs keep dying. Eventually, you get frustrated and leave the site.

To prevent this, I suggest a death cap. If 10 of your eggs have died of too many views in the past 2 weeks, you either A) can't have anymore die, or B ) can't get anymore for 1 week, at which point you're directed to various how-to-prevent-sickness guides.

Because seriously, over 10 consecutive egg deaths is just ridiculous.

Note: I've found newb scrolls like this, so it does get that extreme.

http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showt...dpost&p=6012346

If the help page (specifically the Site Introduction) is not sufficient, I'd love to hear what information new users feel is missing.

I don't think any kind of cap is necessary and there is a whole Help header with a bunch of information under it. If people have any suggestions for additions there, those are more than welcome. :3

Or maybe they could get a message on top of the scroll that sends them to the forums, where they can ask for help.

I'd like to improve the Help pages as much as possible before sending people to the forum. Not everyone is allowed to have an account, so if important information is missing from the Help page, we should work on adding it there. :3

I don't think a cap is necessary. If the player in question checks on their eggs regularly, they should notice that one of their eggs is sick before too long. If they happen to check their scroll when one egg is sick, they'll get a big notification with a link to the help page to explain what sickness/soft shell is and how it is cured.

Not everyone is allowed to have an account, so if important information is missing from the Help page, we should work on adding it there. :3

Forgot about that xd.png I always thought that help pages are simple enough and have every information we need - it's just that people don't read them thoroughly.

May I suggest that maybe after X number of dragons have died (say 5- that's enough for one original batch, plus another), you get a message at the top of the scrolls, suggesting you go to the Help section, which is linked?

Also, it might be nice to add a general ball park figure of how many V/UV/C are needed to hatch an egg to the Help page.

I don't think a death cap is necessary and it could be abused (person could think, "Hey! Let's just let X amount of eggs die and then all my eggs after that, I can just throw into a bunch of hatcheries and never have to worry about them again!").

If it was made so eggs would be protected from death for a period of time, instead of indefinitely, then that person might think they got the hang of it, but then end up killing their eggs again when the time period was up.

I just don't see how this would help... Plus, when I started, I had issues getting clicks, not sickness.

Maybe after the FIRST egg/dragon dies you could have a scroll message:

"Oh no! One of your eggs/hatchlings has died! Try visiting the HELP PAGES to learn how to avoid this in the future. Or, you could try visiting the FORUM."

Or similar.

I'd like to improve the Help pages as much as possible before sending people to the forum. Not everyone is allowed to have an account, so if important information is missing from the Help page, we should work on adding it there. :3

I'm confused, who in the world would not be allowed to have an account, i understand banned forum users, but who in the world that has never been even on here try to make one, and get a message, " Your not allowed to have an account here"...That's not very good, now isn't or fair....

I'm confused, who in the world would not be allowed to have an account, i understand banned forum users, but who in the world that has never been even on here try to make one, and get a message, " Your not allowed to have an account here"...That's not very good, now isn't or fair....

Young/younger players whose parents don't want them to have a forum account. There are also people just plain not interested in forums.

"Oh no! One of your eggs/hatchlings has died! Try visiting the HELP PAGES to learn how to avoid this in the future. Or, you could try visiting the FORUM."

Or similar.

I like that. Maybe first few times, even.

Or similar.

^ This is full of so much win smile.gif

Young/younger players whose parents don't want them to have a forum account. There are also people just plain not interested in forums.

I'd think I'd have to say that's their own problem. Especially the latter condition.

Plus, the way this site is designed, eggs ought to be grown by being displayed in signatures on other forums or the like. Obviously we have fansites so we don't need to do that, but if DC were more interested in accumulating users, fansites would be illegal, and it would be pretty dang hard for someone with no access to forums to play the game, whether they knew how or not.

I'd think I'd have to say that's their own problem. Especially the latter condition.

Plus, the way this site is designed, eggs ought to be grown by being displayed in signatures on other forums or the like. Obviously we have fansites so we don't need to do that, but if DC were more interested in accumulating users, fansites would be illegal, and it would be pretty dang hard for someone with no access to forums to play the game, whether they knew how or not.

The game is designed so you don't have to join this forum. Perhaps younger players are allowed on more kid-friendly forums or their parents are willing to add their children's eggs to the forums they frequent. I don't see why all of a sudden we need to force people to join this forum, especially now that we have the awesome cave help page.

Can't they just use Click Sites? that's how i was able to save my Skywing and all my eggs. Maybe we should make a reference to the Wiki Click Site page or places that will add your eggs for free and let it be there.

Just because it's there doesn't mean people have to read it, I hardly ever read the notes, but still the Help option is there.

I think something like that would be nice, we should give young or newbies a little boost, even if it's only a tiny notion. I didn't know about the click sites until Kangaroowings told me about them, by then I already lost a Daydream and I forgot the other one, and my friend lost her dragon.

But that is my opinion so I won't say much

Can't they just use Click Sites? that's how i was able to save my Skywing and all my eggs. Maybe we should make a reference to the Wiki Click Site page or places that will add your eggs for free and let it be there.

Just because it's there doesn't mean people have to read it, I hardly ever read the notes, but still the Help option is there.

I think something like that would be nice, we should give young or newbies a little boost, even if it's only a tiny notion. I didn't know about the click sites until Kangaroowings told me about them, by then I already lost a Daydream and I forgot the other one, and my friend lost her dragon.

But that is my opinion so I won't say much

The problem is not that they can't use click sites. The problem is that they over-use them.

True, and I'm aware of that risk, but don't we all have to take risks in order to hatch our eggs? to get Zombies, Neglecteds, or any other breed?

I know how bad egg sickness can be, I nearly lost my Ribbon Dancer and Snow Angel to it, as well as nearly losing one of my Sweetlings, but I managed to heal them.

yet I did lose eggs to illness early on, but I feel like everyone should have a chance, if you care about your dragons then you will carefully limit how many sites, my limit for example is three, though i use more on important occasions.

They could be limit to how many sites they can use to get the clicks they needed

I will note now, as I re-read the OP, that I think a lot more new players suffer from underviewing than overviewing, and we already have a sickness warning on the top of our scrolls when our dragons get sick and I think:

Eggs and hatchlings can become sick when they receive too many views, unique views, and clicks in a short period of time. Although sickness can occur at any time, eggs are most vulnerable when first laid. If an egg or hatchling continues to receive too many views, unique views, and clicks while sick, it may die.

To "cure" an egg or hatchling of sickness, simply reduce the rate at which it is receiving views, unique views, and clicks. This may be as simple as removing the egg or hatchling from any sites you have posted it on. Since the hide action prevents eggs and hatchlings from receiving views, unique views, and clicks, it can be a useful tool at combating sickness.

is pretty clear in saying the dragons have too many views...

They could be limit to how many sites they can use to get the clicks they needed

How?

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Well...maybe we can show them examples of the sites that let you let put your eggs or hatchlings in their hatcheries or nurseries for free, such Eggdrop Soup, Vallery Sherwood, etc, such as a small preview. Then if the person has been on long enough to not be viewed as "new" member then they can be free to put their eggs in as many as they want. But perhaps with more knowledge.

I feel no members who are new should suffer the loss of eggs if you had no idea of the Click Sites, I was so upset and crushed when I lost my first egg ever, a Daydream that ended up dying because I wasn't doing it right.

Even if not a person could have a link to the Wiki and see the sites.