Fortune86

Close Please ~ Died

“Well how about you tell me how you got yourself stuck in here? I know there was a battle but there must be more to it.” Max asked. She could see Vayne wasn’t much in the mood to talk but she will most likely get bored by the second question anyway. Besides this was actually a nice quite place to think of ways to annoy a certain someone else.

"It wasn't during battle" said Vayne softly opening his eyes. "It was just before Delucin and I were due to meet. Dawn I think, just as the night was giving way to the daylight. He wanted to talk, try to convince me to surrender again I suppose. I saw him, standing there with that flaming sword of his, and began to walk towards him."

Vayne wasn't looking at Max. He was looking at a scene many years faded.

"I didn't even get close to him. I don't know if he realised I had arrived. All I remember is feeling like I had been torn apart, ripped from my flesh and cast into a hole. When I regained my sense I was in here. Within these walls. There was no light, not even this greenish mockery you see around us. And the door would not open. I tried and tried, but I could not move it. I was too weak, my power stolen."

She looked at Vayne while he spoke noticing he might be reliving the moment in his own mind. Thou what happened to them still didn’t make much sense to her. What did she know anyway, she was just a kid who likes messing with things.

“So you just ended up here out of the blue? No warning or anything? Aren't you curious how it happened?” Max asked now sitting cross legged on her rocky chair.

"I know what happened" said Vanye sighing. "The Powers That Be thought our war was becoming too great. They stepped in and sealed us both away. Most undoubtably the meeting with Delucin would have ended in further conflict, they tended to do so after a while. That is why I am trying a new approach, a handful of warriors to fight for the cause rather than a full scale war."

“So your powers have mind of its own then? That is interesting.” Max spoke thinking to herself. So if their powers were limited at some point then so might hers be. It will be interesting to find out how far she can go with it. She could use Revan’s car as a test subject if needed.

Vayne chuckled darkly.

"The Powers That Be are those that govern this world. Some peoples worshipped them as gods, others feared them as demons. They existed long before humans and will remain long after. Normally they remain neutral in matters such as these, but it seems they saw fit to interfere in the last war. We will need to act more conservatively this time so as not to attract their ire once again."

“Aw… so I guess its out of the question to test my powers on Revan’s car then?” She spoke smiling a little. She looked at the hole of her shirts shoulder knowing at least one of his abilities now. “Then again I don’t believe you care much for our childish acts.” She spoke still looking at the burnt shirt. She know she had been a bit childish lately but it was so fun doing so. Even bothering Revan was quite fun but now that he has powers she need to be a bit more careful.

"What you do with your powers is up to you" said Vayne. He sounded disinterested, but he was smiling nonetheless. "But I would advise against alienating your comrades. Although your abilities will give you a great advantage over other humans, it might not be wise to deliberately upset those with equal strength. You never know when you might need his favour. Delucin will already be actively seeking your demise, do not add to your list of foes unnecessarily."

ON:

"It is the myths and legends that we wanted to talk to you about, sir," Faye said in the reverent tone that all academics used when in the presence of an acknowledged expert in a field, the bookish equivalent of a meeting a rock-star or screen legend. "Our digs have so far come across some amazing, unusual finds, and we've not been here that long and so our knowledge of Wallace is certainly lacking in comparison to your own. We've noted a very distinct pattern to a lot of the early civilisation finds that has now reached the point where we believe it to be more than simply coincidence, and before we proceed further I suggested it was best to speak to the expert in the field so we have an idea on where to go."

She shifted uncomfortably around the cane, a motion that wasn't entirely faked. "I hope I don't seem rude in asking to take a seat before we continue?" she asked the historian and his family, glancing at her ankle. "I'm afraid my body believes itself to be older than it actually is."

OFF

- Post by Faye.

Mr. Sommer's eyes seem to bore through them as they spoke, but he never had anything but a friendly expression, tone, and manner about him.

"Please, please. Forgive my lack of manners. Sit if you wish," he said gesturing to the couches and individual seats. Would you like anything to drink?" he asked, glancing at his daughter who moved closer.

"As for stories, myths, and artifacts? There are plenty of all three, but the first two are just that: mystery and myths. I can tell you some entertaining legends, but none are true by any means. The third...quite a few of the artifacts found are in here and a private collection downstairs. Any others are being loaned the different museums. Is there anything you are looking for in particular?" he asked, looking at them with intrigue.

"Pray tell, what are you two trying to do?"

“Yes I figured that much but I doubt the “relationship” between me and Revan would get any better. I know he is plotting is own revenge against me.” She spoke after thinking what Vayne said. She should take his words in consideration seeing that he has been into this thing much longer that what she has.

“I guess I could be more dovey lovey with him and stop making his life hell. We are after all in a team.”

((Please don't let Vayne think she is going soft or something with the dovey lovey part xd.png))

"Dovey lovely?"

It took a moment for the meaning behind the strange words to settle into Vayne's mind. Humans used such bizzare expressions sometimes, but he understood what Max meant eventually. In short, she was going to try and get along with him better. He nodded his approval, but he felt intrigued regardless.

"Why do you dislike him so?"

Max thought for a minute or two at Vayne’s question. She wasn’t actually sure herself, she just know when she sees him she wants to make trouble. Since Max could remember they never really gotten along well. Max started to wonder if he might have a reason for disliking her. Maybe this is what the brother/sister thinking must be like? She thought to herself.

“Don’t know. Guess it’s his personality that sets me off or his looks or even his snotty attitude.” Max spoke still trying to think for a real reason.

"You find him unpleasant?" asked Vanye. "If you were not warriors, how would you fare with him? Would you still act so adversely? Avoid him? Try to kill him?"

“I find him annoying. Unpleasant is too good of a word for him.” She spoke standing up from her seat. She walked up and down a bit trying to wake her legs from their sleeping state.

“I would basically do what I do now.” Max spoke smiling. “Just without all the powers and stuff, I guess if we weren’t in the same class I would have never thought of bothering him but sadly for him he is.”

"Guess I'll leave you now. You seem tired."

Vayne shrugged. With the majority of his wounds healed Max's presence didn't matter one way or another.

As Max made to leave a thought occured to him.

"Tell me Max. Have you ever killed another human?"

Max was about to turn around and walk out but Vayne asked another question that made her freeze for a few minutes. She never has done it but she did have a few dream of doing it. Thou they were only dreams and nothing to the real thing she wasn’t sure if she would be able to do it. She did know how to defend herself if it was needed but she still never killed anyone.

“What do you think?” She asked. Her smile had gone and her expression darkened as she looked at the avatar of darkness.

"I know you lack the desire for it" said Vayne. "You've never killed out of bloodlust, but that doesn't mean you have never done so. Humans are quite good at convincing themselves they can do anything if done for the 'right' reasons."

He tilted his head and looked at her.

"However, judging by your reaction to the question I would say the answer is no."

Max just stared at Vayne when he spoke. She knew he would know just by noticing her reaction. Killing wasn’t something she wanted to experience soon but by joining him she might have to reconsider her own thoughts, his words where true after all. Max turned around and looked over her shoulder at Vayne.

“Is there anything you want or need from me before I leave?”

"No" said Vayne waving her away. "Go and rest. I will see you tomorrow."

She has no desire to kill he thought to himself. No matter.

ON:

Faye thanked her host as she took a perch on the couch, visible relief at getting off her leg. While it had now been healed fully there was a complication that enhanced healing couldn't make go away; her body was so used to walking one way that now it hurt to retrain it to try and be normal again. The cane was still more than simply ceremonial, and she held it in both hands between her legs as she spoke to Mr Sommers, the effect giving her the appearance of a few extra years - after all, twenty-somethings shouldn't be walking with canes.

"I'm fine for a drink thank you," she replied, addressing both the elder man and his daughter as he met the man's gaze. "This is the thing Mr Sommers; stories and myths grow around kernels of truth. There is a reason legends persist long after they have supposedly been shown to be false. Why do we still talk about St George slaying the dragon, or King Arthur burning the scones? Is it because of the morality behind the story? Yes, as most academics would argue, but sometimes that is not all. But these stories had to start from somewhere. There had to be a time when they were not simply stories, but news. An actual event. A moment of truth in the centre of the pearl that is the legend.

"Which is why we've come to you, Mr Sommers. I could run electrographs and spectroscopies on our samples all day, tell you what every rock and crystal is made from - but it's why they're there and what makes them so important that we can't get from our machines. The myths that this culture created, which have become lost to us through the passage of the years, are the key to understanding that now-lost culture. And perhaps it is the myths are also what could help us save our own," Faye added the last sentence with the same straight face and earnest tone she had used so far, but it was a little piece of bait. Perhaps the Sommers knew more than they let on and her words may provoke a reaction; perhaps they really were just collectors and hoarders, in which case her words were just the same tired rhetoric often used by archaeologists and historians to justify their research of ancient civilisations.

OFF

- Post by Faye

Edited by Kestra15

Finished unloading the box of products and storing them in the back room of the convenient store, Alex returned to the front of the store and unlocked the front door in order to resume business. It wasn't his job to unpack the goods, that task was up to the other worker who was scheduled to arrive later.

Planting his rear on the stool, he waited for his shift to end.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pulling up into his driveway, Reven let loose a large sneeze.

Edited by TotallyDrow

((Is it ok if I take a pass on a few Dwain posts during this discussion? I don't think there is much I can add other than him sitting down quietly while Faye explains things to the family.))

((Is it ok if I take a pass on a few Dwain posts during this discussion? I don't think there is much I can add other than him sitting down quietly while Faye explains things to the family.))

((Okay, I was waiting to see if you wanted to post.

Ps. So these next three weeks are my last weeks of school. The next two weeks are classes and then the third week is finals. I will be a little more scarce I fear as I have a lot of things I have to get down. I will post when I can. And if I did post now, it would not make sense. My brain is not working right now.))

((Thank you for the warning Vang. Good luck with your finals smile.gif

*prods Spirit*))

((My side!))

Max turned around and walked out of the temple in silence. She had some feeling that Vayne asked those questions for a reason. She knew she wasn’t ready to kill but with their mission she might really hurt someone. Thou she didn’t want to do such an act yet, she will fight by Vayne’s side. She made a deal with him and she was planning on going with it, even if something like that would happen.

Max left the digging site and walked down the street with her hands in her jackets pockets, thinking. It was time she changed a bit.