Skulexander

Lost Pets

If there's already a thread like this, forgive me. I didn't find any. This is a thread where you can give tribute to any pets you've lost. Whether they ran away or passed away. Just today I found out that my little brown snake was no longer in his terrarium. He got out. He's the pet I took for granted the most, and only now that I've lost him do I realize how much I loved that little guy. I keep hoping to see him poke his head out of the bedding of his cage, like I somehow missed him when I searched the terrarium. Or that I'll come across him slithering on the floor. But I wouldn't be surprised if I never see him again, or worse, that I'll come across him dead. D: I just hope that wherever he is right now, he's doing okay...

Brown snake as in... a gardner snake or what?

What about pets that were stolen?

Yes. I can only hope he shows up. And I'd rather not find him at all than find him dead... But I hope I find him alive.

EDIT: No, brown snakes aren't garter snakes. I mean brown snakes as in Storeria dekayi. And yes stolen pets count. EDIT: Did you have a pet stolen from you? D:

Edited by Cod Cod

Man that sucks, I used to have a Blue Tongued Skink which I eventually had to give a away cause I was moving (To another country if curiosity strikes you). Though I did take my 2 dogs.

One of those dogs did die a couple of years ago, but what sucks about it is that I wasn't there throughout his treatment and death. I had actually gone back to the US and I left my dog with my family. When I got the call he was dead I was kinda pissed cause I wasn't there. But hey what can some people do, it was going to happen soon and I knew that, I do ever so often miss him when I see a dog of the same breed.

I will be getting another eventually of the same breed when I move. :)

I've heard stories of pet snakes escaping and then being found several months later curled up in dresser drawers, alive =) Don't lose hope; of all the pets that can escape, snakes have one of the best survival rates!

Of course, it depends on the species and environment, but I'm trying to be encouraging here so technicalities can GTFO.

I lost two of my snakes once. I put flour and aluminum foil all over the floor. In the middle of the night, I woke up to the noise of crackling from my snakes slithering over the foil. They were going behind my dresser. Don't give up!

I lost a budgie once. His wings had grown out and were due for a clip. My mom opened the back door at the same time the phone rang, and it spooked him and he flew out. We actually never saw him fly out, so we didn't realize he was missing until a few hours later. I put up papers and ads for him everywhere but we never found him sad.gif. I hope someone nice found him, but someone's stupid outdoor cat likely killed him.

I had a couple of goldfish for, I think, about 5 and 8 years respectively.

it probably doesn't sound like much, but I really loved them. it's kinda true you don't fully appreciate pet until they're gone, especially as one died while I was away on holiday...

The first cat I've ever had ran away, as well as another we had a few years ago. I also found out the cat that my grandma had passed away. I can't even visit my own cats we had when our family was somewhat stable because the people who own them aren't at their house anymore. I don't really know what to do..

I used to have a cat. She was pure white, and the friendliest little thing you could ever meet. She loved everyone. But she always snuck outside. I didn't approve of this because it worried me very much. One day she went out and we never saw her again.... this was over a year ago and I still feel like crying about it today. I dream about her, but when I wake up I can't find her. It's very painful. sad.gif Sorry to all the other people who lost a pet, I know how you feel.

I used to have a hamster as well.Livedtobe three years old. I used to say good morning to him and play with him every day. I miss him too...

I had a budgerigar named Angel, lovely little bird; she enjoyed human interaction. As she was handraised, she was quite docile and was often bullied by my other two budgerigars. She was placed into a seperate cage to ensure that she didn't get hurt (but still within the same area). Regret doing that to a point. The cage was round, very unsuitable for birds of any sort, but I couldn't afford a new one at the time. As the door was rounded, it opened outwards, and I couldn't fit my hand through the smaller food and water tray doors, so anything that needed removing had to be removed via the big door.

Long story short, she was devious and quick; she jumped onto my hand then flew off as I was removing a piece of apple from the floor of the cage. She got spooked by the tent we left set up in the back yard, and I lost sight of her almost immediantly. I doubt she would have survived for long even if budgerigars are hardy. Her colouring wasn't that of a typical wild budgerigar, it stood out against most backgrounds, grass included. Her colouring was white with blue and black splotches (the typical colours found in a budgerigar of the blue series Texas Clearbody mutation). Pretty bird, but it was her personality I missed the most. Remember crying for days after, she was pretty much my only friend at the time. She escaped two years ago on October 6th. Amazing how much time has gone past since then, still miss her. *Sigh* She would have been three this year.

Moral of the story; birds are devious and if they can fit through the door, they will attempt to get out at the slightest inkling of being able to successfully escape. sad.gif

Edited by VampiricOmen

I had a budgerigar named Angel, lovely little bird; she enjoyed human interaction. As she was handraised, she was quite docile and was often bullied by my other two budgerigars. She was placed into a seperate cage to ensure that she didn't get hurt (but still within the same area). Regret doing that to a point. The cage was round, very unsuitable for birds of any sort, but I couldn't afford a new one at the time. As the door was rounded, it opened outwards, and I couldn't fit my hand through the smaller food and water tray doors, so anything that needed removing had to be removed via the big door.

Long story short, she was devious and quick; she jumped onto my hand then flew off as I was removing a piece of apple from the floor of the cage. She got spooked by the tent we left set up in the back yard, and I lost sight of her almost immediantly. I doubt she would have survived for long even if budgerigars are hardy. Her colouring wasn't that of a typical wild budgerigar, it stood out against most backgrounds, grass included. Her colouring was white with blue and black splotches (the typical colours found in a budgerigar of the blue series Texas Clearbody mutation). Pretty bird, but it was her personality I missed the most. Remember crying for days after, she was pretty much my only friend at the time. She escaped two years ago on October 6th. Amazing how much time has gone past since then, still miss her. *Sigh* She would have been three this year.

Moral of the story; birds are devious and if they can fit through the door, they will attempt to get out at the slightest inkling of being able to successfully escape. sad.gif

Wow my budgie that flew away was also white with black and blue splotches sad.gif.

I've got a bird room now and I haven't had anymore incidences. They are all flighted but they've become so used to the bird room that they won't fly out even if you try to chase them out. I wish I had a bird room years ago, I always think about my birdy that flew away.

My passed away list...

Snowy the Zebra finch

Chloe the weiro

Pizza

Escapea

Nanna

Tayla ------- The ISA brown chickens

Penny

Jackie

little White

Fuzz bop The banatm chicks

Ember - the daughter of Ruby and Rudy my bantam breeders

Ricky ---bottle fed lamb. put down for bad arthritis

Billy --- very sick twin lamb... we tried

Mistress --- Female silkie (old age)

Suki --- Male silkie (old age)

puff--- Silkie chick (taken by sudden cold snap)

Ones i've given away

Milo and Charcoal the two male guinea pigs (went to an animal farm to become breeders)

Carrot top

Crow --- male bantams (can't have more than one rooster)

Brighton

fluff --- (puffs twin sis... after loosing puff i decided to give fluff to a experienced breeder)

i cried for each and everyone of them

Guess I'll go with these in chronological order...

Mitzy: the first family cat I remember, she was an old, old, old calico by the time I was grown enough to have any memories of her. She died from some sort of combination of injury and old age.

Lucky: First dog, some sort of Terrier/Schnauzer mix, ugly as a warthog and mean, but still miss him somehow. He lived to be 13 and then tried chasing cattle with our other dog and ended up on the wrong side of the farmer's rifle.

Zuko and Sandy: a zebra finch pair I had, best guess is they got sick from a wild bird that got in the house the day before and didn't have the immune system to handle it.

Terra: Second dog, a purebred chocolate Labrador, dumb as a post, but it was still fun to watch her barrel through herds of kids goofing around. She ran off to the neighbor's cattle pasture and Lucky followed, neither came home but we got a note in our mailbox saying their carcasses were on the burn pile with bulletholes in them >_< They could have at least said it nicer.

Pepper: Third dog, Rottweiler/Doberman/Pit mix, smartest dog I've ever met. My dad shot her for killing chickens that got in her pen.

Saphira: A white kitten I'd found. I only had her for two days when I was playing with her outside and I was sitting about six feet away from where she'd wandered and the neighbor kid sicked his dog on her right in front of me. I couldn't get to her in time.

Sequoia: Oldest of my family's llamas. He was almost 28 years old when he finally laid down and just didn't get up again. He'd lived a good life though after we got him and 28 is ancient for a llama in North America (average is 20 years in Idaho where we lived).

i just had 12 chicks hatch today. this niht is cold and the two mother hens are vicious protectors of the chicks so i can't bring them in to shelter.

i know it's nature and all but i don't want to be adding one day old un-named chicks to the list.

it was hard enough with little white and fuzz bop. they were only old enough for nicknames. 2 weeks old! stupid feral cats! and puff.... hysterics for three days. she was a month and a half. the breeder who gave her and fluff too me said she too lost many in that cold snap though...

I don't allow people to kill my pets. if my dog ever went for my chickens i would not kill her but scold her seriously till she learnt. although she is kelpie and a fast learner >w>

Edited by Keriel

Pets that we have lost over the years:

Tristan - Irish Setter- he had a heart attack while doing his favorite activity, running with the horse in the pasture behind us. Both him and the horse loved it, they would run along the back fence together, the horse obviously liked it, for the pasture was much bigger than our yard, and if he didn't like it, he could have continued running and left Tristan behind, instead he would turn around and do it again with Tristan.

Blackie - cat, grey tabby - he disappeared a long time ago, we aren't quite sure what happened to him, but we think a pack of dogs that roamed the area got him.

Lassie -rottweiler mix- she had lung cancer and had to be put down. Poor thing, her lungs were so full of fluid she wouldn't lay down because she felt like she was drowning.

Matilda -australian shepherd- died less than a year after Lassie. I think she pined away after Lassie died, eventually she wouldn't eat, yet her stomach was bloated. I don't remember what the vet told us it was, but she was too old to operate on. We had adopted her as an older dog, while she was never very attached to us, she loved Lassie though.

Krull -cat, orange tabby- He was my baby, the only one that I could have truly called mine. He slipped out one day though and we found him badly hurt the next day. We took him to the vet, but he didn't make it.

Hazel -rabbit- She was Mom's baby. She lived primarily in the utility room, she had the full run of the room, not stuck in a cage(we had her litter trained). I remember she liked to tease our dog by shoving stuff under the door. She suddenly died one day, and mom was devastated. Dad made her promise not to get another rabbit while April is still around, for April spent her day staring at the door to the rabbit's room.

Edited by Nectaris

Wow my budgie that flew away was also white with black and blue splotches sad.gif.

I've got a bird room now and I haven't had anymore incidences. They are all flighted but they've become so used to the bird room that they won't fly out even if you try to chase them out. I wish I had a bird room years ago, I always think about my birdy that flew away.

Sorry about your budgie. sad.gif Their range of colour mutations are amazing. Not too often you see ones with that specific mutation (they're not the rarest but they are still rare). I hope he was found and cared for despite not being returned. I hope that is what happened to Angel too, though we lived near scrub land, so perhaps she found sustenance there.

A bird room is a very good idea, as it also gives them plenty of exercise. happy.gif

I didn't think this thread was for tributing pets that had died or been killed, but that was probably because I only interpreted the OP in the lost as in escaped/misplaced sort of way.

As for the pets that have died;

Mitzy, a white male kitten with blue and green eyes. I was a few years old. Don't remember him too much but I think he was hit by a car.

Red Ginger Cat, name speaks for itself. She was quite old when she disappeared; I was young then as well. Don't remember her much, but we've kept pictures of her. I assume she was hit by a car as well, people in that street were good for doing that sort of thing.

Tiger, mixed breed tabby cat. She was the first cat I actually chose and I loved her to bits. Moved away from where she had to live. She was hit by a car a few years ago, I really wish dad would have let the cats stay inside at night.

Nugget, male mix breed dog, not sure what happened to him; but he was a good dog.

Cougar; a bull mastiff mixed breed; dad had left the doors of the old car open after some heavy rain. He closed the doors later that day without checking to see if there was anything inside. Cougar was found dead the next day.

Er, this dogs name will be censored so I won't say it, will call her censorkip.gif (she was named that when I got her). Anywho censorkip.gif was a Jack Russel crossbreed, very timid when I first got her. She warmed up to me after a while. Escaped once and needed her original owner to help us get her back (she was at the local creek, five houses down the road). Found out she had a tumour, had that removed, dad grudgingly paid the bill. About a year later dad got the idea to give her heartworm tablets thinking she didn't have them. She did have heartworm and started going cross eyed, walking oddly. I felt like a criminal watching her suffer. She was euthanized that same day.

Sheila, she lived to around 14 years old. Keplie crossbreed, very very calm temperament around children. She didn't like strangers, at all. She was euthanized because my dad moved house and his new wife didn't want another dog. She was blind and deaf but still had some fight in her, my mother was more than willing to take her in but dad refused.

Guinea pigs, Spike and Molly, and their three children. They escaped their cage and we assume the dog ate them. I hope they passed quickly without much pain. sad.gif

Several budgies named; Budgie (a male Blue normal), Princess (a female Gray normal), Tweety (a male Lutino), Snow (a female Albino), and finally Angel (a Texas Clearbody).

Countless fish, mostly goldfish, mollies and dwarf gouramis. They were interesting to sit and watch. Not sure why the goldfish and mollies died; but one of the gouramis was eaten by the other, and the other died a few days later.

Mostly summarising as I should be going to sleep. They were all much loved animals, whilst not all mine, I still remember them. sad.gif

Sorry for your loss' everyone TT.TT

I've had quite a few, that I can actually remember. I had two cats, Harely and Beamer(don't know if thats how we spelled it lol), that were practically cousins that my parents got before I was even born! They both died around 14.

Then there was our rottie, Max, who died just a couple months back, due to his age. I think he just turn 10 a few weeks prior, but not sure.

Then there were my fish. 4 platties, 2 algae eaters and 2 betas. All died within 2 weeks :/ and my 2 turtles, who we had to give away due to us moving to another state. The lady we gave them to said she'd have her daughter write to us, telling me how my turtles were doing....never got one sad.gif

Then we had a chow/st. bernard/husky mix named Rusty. He ran away a few times, but always came back. Then he ran away and never came back. I think it was due to the small backyard we had at the time. And then there was his son, Runtie. We were going to take him to a shelter, due to the move, but got loose from his leash and ran off.

This thread makes me so sad, and reminds me of my first pets.

I had two cats when i was very young(4 or 5 at most) and they hated my sister, because she pulled their tails, but they loved me. the first one ran away, and was never seen again. her name was Solo and she was black and fluffy, with white paws and belly, my parents were pretty sure coyotes got her, we have a lot near our house.

the second cat, Tua, was just like Solo, except he was gray. I woke up one morning when my mother was taking care of my neighbor's dogs, and she told me to come next door with her. My cat Tua was hanging from the neighbor's fence by his collar, it seemed he had slipped and his collar had choked him to death. It was a horrible sight, especially because i was so young.

After that i had pet fish, so Rest In Peace: Stripey, Flow, Finn, Blue, Sebastian, French, Gubbers and my first and last fish Tiny. Tiny was special, a Zebra Daniel fish. Those aren't supposed to live very long, but she lived 7 years.

We also had another cat named Domino, but we had to give him away because my sister had allergies because of him.

I've lost a few pets along the way too...

-Lola: My grandfather's Belgian Shepherd dog. She was black with brown eyes and had the most caring and playful look I have ever seen. It was a pity had to go live alone to guard another house my grandfather had, just because my grandmother didn't like her. She was a real cutie and my grandad and her were very attatched, but my dad hated me coming near her because she once knocked me to the floor when I was little. I still think she was precious, though.

-Jim: This cat wasn't mine, either, it was my uncle's, but he was like a part of the family. He looked like an orange tabby with white belly, although my aunt says his mother was a calico, so I guess he was a calico, too. He was a true rascal and loved fighting with other animals (and some people); one day his ear got bit by a dog, he even got a hole in it, and I think it got infected or the wound leaded to some other disease and he had to be put away.

-Kimi: My first dog we rescued from a shelter when she was 3 months old. She was a Chihuaha x some mutt mix, so she had crisp, hard hair which made her look kind of ugly. I found her to be the prettiest thing on earth, though. She had quite a personality, and has bitten some people of my family, me included. She also loved to jump around like crazy; you could see he leaping on the couch just to see through the window, or napping on its back. I think it caused her problem... one day, I went on a walk with her, when we came home, she looked like she had injured her paw, I didn't see anything so I went out. When I came home, she couldn't move her backlegs at all... it looked like she had injured her spine or something, we don't really know. We decided to try to make her walk again, and she was making progress but we had to put her down in the end. I still miss her so much, she gave me 8 precious years.

I've also lost a few hamsters whose names I won't write here, but I remember every single one of them, they were part of my childhood friends.

Pets are such a big part of one's heart );

Someone took one of my turtles right out of my pond a year or so ago.

dry.gif

As for other "lost" definitions,

*I had to give away a dog (Yorkie) a few years ago named Dimitri.

*I had a guinea pig, Henry, who died of old age.

*A cat, Bootsie, who was put down for a tumor under her tongue.

*A rat, Beatrix, who was put down for a tumor in her bladder.

*Numerous fish who died of reasons I do not remember.

*Numerous hermit crabs who died of reasons I was too young to remember.

*A squirrel, who I released when it was old enough.

*A blue-jay, who I released when it was old enough.

Edited by TheDarkCynder

Honestly, I literally can't count how many I've lost.

Sugar -Our vicious adopted dog that was great when my parents had no kids, but terrible when we came. DX She was beaten before we rescued her, and nothing could quench her fear of children. I was about 2-4 when we gave her up.

Pearl -My hermit crab I got because we gave up Sugar. Died of unknown cause. I was probably around 6 when she died.

Nibble -The guinea pig I got because I cried my eyes out when Pearl died. >.< She lived until she was around ten, and then died of old age.

Assorted chickens/guineas/ducks -Seriously, you guys would kill me if I named them all. I've had chickens for eight or so years now, and for several years lived near foxes and raccoons, which we tried in vain to trap. We've had our cats kill chicks, our dogs accidentally kill them, and a disease spread through our flock before we could do anything about it. We've had chickens pecked to the skull which we've saved, only to have them suffer from brain damage and be eaten by a fox. We've had to give up birds and roosters, but every single one has had a name. I pride in that.

Sassafras/Sassy/Sassquatch -My adorable fuzzy little puppy with a knack for escaping things and eating squeeze cheese. When she was full grown we'd put her in a crate, only to have her escape it. And she wouldn't run, just sit. Right outside her enclosure, waiting to be found. She only ran because of Henry.

Henry -Sassy's dear companion, greatest house dog there ever was. I remember *fondly* how we would watch TV, only to have him scuttle into the room looking guilty. That's when we would send my older brother to clean up the poop in the back room. He would run, and Sassquatch would follow. Killed a goat, resulting in him being given up.

Loki -My dear white fuzzy Saanan baby goat. He would follow be faithfully, bleat when he saw me... He was killed by Henry. I was the one to see him first. It was terrible, awful. I remember being given benedryl so I could go to sleep that night... I was about eight or nine.

Twix -My little guy. He was a shrimpy alpine goat, but you couldn't help but love him. He was sweet and gentle, and picked on by the other goats. That winter was a rouhg winter. I had to pick him up out of a shelter he had been in and lift him over the fence because the gate was impossible to move. He had been covered with snow. My other goat had to climb over the fence using a hay manger. Twix never recovered, and again, I found him.

Goats

sorry to hear about your loss! i would say wait for it to get hungery and it will come out. you could use bait to see if you can get it when it is feeding time, that's how i had gotten my corn snake back.

threw the years i had lost more than one cat to disease but they were all strays though i still miss the little guys.

I lost a little baby Turtle to my neighbor sleep.gif He decided he wanted to see if turtle's shells could be damaged at all by random things sad.gif

RIP Shelldon, may you not be tormented by pogo sticks in turtle heaven

I happen to pick animals that get sick. Three so far. Two in the same year and the other only about a month or two ago.

Leilana: My first Nigerian Dwarf goat. She was black with a white stripe on her stomach. I was there in the pen when she was born. Our friends let my sister and I each choose a baby goat. The deal was the goats would be kept at there house and we would come and clean once a week. We were playing with the whole herd one day. I was video taping them for fun. I called it, "The Goat Cam". I came to the pen she was in and walked to the feeder. Her sister was in the feeder and viciosly attacking me (she craved attention) I looked under the feeder and she was there chewing her cud and looking sick. I pulled her out and she looked terrible. Her eyes were gunky and she had snot in her nose. (time skip) We were out playing at there house. Leilana was doing better. She had been able to stand that morning so we thought she would be ok. I was the only one to hear my baby cry. I walked into the pen and she was lying on her side. Her condition had gone from being able to stand, to lying on her side dying. I took her out and sat down. She was wrapped lightly in a towl. About 20 minuts later I set her back in the pen. Our friends and my sister stood around the pen. My mom and I were in the pen. Leilana died a few minutes later. I cried a lot. That was about 6-8 months ago. I miss her still.

Azteck: I wanted a kitten so one day we went to a no kill shelter. I found a tiny slightly skinny orange kitten with white paws and chest. I wanted him so we adopted him and brought him home. He loved to sleep in a basket I had and he purred 90% of the time he was awake. About three days after I got him he got really sick and started acting funny. He couldn't hold up his head and he kept have like sezuirs. We took him back to the lady we bought him from. The next day she called back and said he had died. He died of... well pretty much the cat version of Parvo in dogs. I miss my sweet little guy.

I also had a rabbit die recently. She got really sick. Probably a birth defect...

Edit: Azteck was only skinny becuase of the sickness, not the shelter.

Edited by Azteck