Obscure_Trash

Dragon Requests "Bulletin Board"

Yes or no to a DR 'Bulletin Board' (on a trial basis at first)?  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So in a way, is it like another "Tiny Little Questions" board, where ppl can just pop in to ask a few things? Correct me if I'm wrong >_<

@Silver: No it would be more like a request for artists and help on dragon requests. Lets say you need help on a sprite you would put up an advert and then take it down

Well, I did mean for it to be more inclusive, so questions pertaining to dragon requests would be a fine thing to also do in it. :3

OK WAIT BEFORE SOMEONE POINTS OUT THAT WE ALREADY HAVE A DRAGON REQUESTS BOARD

That's only for kind of complete concepts for dragons, right? In order to get a dragon on there, you have to have an idea totally fleshed out - descriptions, sketches, etc.

Maybe we could have an area where members can work on basic concepts for dragons and flesh them out? Like, for example, let's say someone has an idea for a dragon - maybe a strawberry-themed dragon with strawberry flowers blooming on its tail or something?? But they don't really know what else to add on to it. So they could make a post about this basic concept, and they can work with other members on other details (What its different stages look like, color schemes, basic descriptions, maybe a few small sketches, etc.) until it's ready to be moved into dragon requests?

I don't remember us having anything like this, but...

It could be a board or a single thread or something?? I don't e ve n know

ugh this is really stupid and its 2 am. feel free to close it if i'm not making any sense right now

Hrm. I guess I just got busy and never did this? Or decided to wait for more votes? o.o

Anyway, merged. x3

We're still discussing how exclusivity will affect the forum, so this may end up being something that can't be done for a while (if the forum is closed to new requests for example), but I would love to hear more thoughts on this from people.

It would be nice to have a general discussion thread on DR art rather than art help higgeldy piggeldy in the Original Work and Multimedia thread.

So pretty much overwhelming answer is yes or willing to try. So, now I'm wondering: would you guys like to see something like this sticky'd or will that be too many sticky's?

I voted "Yes, for a different reason", because I won't personally ever use it but I don't see why we shouldn't have something like this in sticky. Seems pretty helpful from looks of it. Of course, I'm not a spriter or artist; and I'm not informed much about the dragon making process so my input for this poll might be irrelevant.

I think it should be stickied. We don't have too many yet, so one more won't make a difference.

I think it should be stickied, too. If it doesn't turn out to be that active, it might be a bit redundant if it wasn't stickied since the threads seeking the help might end up showing before it anyway. If that makes sense. xd.png

I got a little confused by the first post, mopre like pages but if I understand correctly this would be basically a topic where people can ask for an artist?

I'd be all for doing something like this o3o I remember my first few topics and trying to get an artist's attention.

Sock -

If this decides to be done, I'd be more than happy to help <3

Also, I think this would be useful even if DR ever got closed? Because there'd still be tons of existing concepts that need the help of an artist or two. :3

I think this, if we do it, would be decidedly more effective as a sticky. Not to mention much easier to find. xd.png

Edited by Infinis

Hm, okay. Is there something users can think of to get rid of some sticky's? Or are users fine with that large amount of sticky's? x3

I guess if we have to perma-close AAT, it would just be replacing a sticky. =p

I personally don't think 4 pinned topics is too much. I can't speak for others though. I think the other 3 topics should stay. Polls are a regular thing for this section, Art Usage is really important, and so is the grammar patrol.

I actually wanted to put such a topic in DR, not in suggestions, since it specifically pertains to DR. ^^

(On that note, yeah, I've been wondering if there's a better place for artist permissions, but I don't think there is, really.)

I like this idea, I had a bit of trouble finding people to sketch my idea, and I still need more sketches before anything else can be done. Being able to post somewhere saying specifically what I need would be really helpful.

So! We have now consolidated the Spriting/DR Guide sticky's, so we are ready to more feasibly add another sticky to the DR area. As such, I am bumping this idea!

It is a bit edited from when I originally suggested it, so here's the full first post again:

This is something I've been throwing around for a while and would like opinions on.

I'd like to do a kind of bulletin board type thing for dragon requests, kind of like what they set up in the RP section.

The old dragon requests art thread was deleted because more people needed help than could give help, which is my main problem with this. I'm not sure it would do more good.

But anyway, to stop skirting the issue.

The 'bulletin board' would be a place where people could pop in and advertise for sketchers, spriters, critiques, spellchecking, etc., like the old thread did. It would be an easier, consolidated way for users looking to help out to find threads that need help, rather than having to skim through pages of subtitles and threads.

The first post would not be updated with these requests. Part of the problem in the original thread was that people would not come back to take their advertisement down or note that they had received help. So by not updating the first post, that would leave it reasonable for people looking to help out to skim through the last, maybe, page of posts or so. That way if somebody doesn't strike out that they got the help they needed, their request by default times out when it gets buried under other requests. We would still ask that people edit their posts when they no longer need assistance and possibly ask that people interested in helping out do post that so others can see that a thread has gotten help or if it still needs help.

In addition, people could also post there for help for topics that they haven't posted yet. If they need help working out some logical aspect of the request or need some inspiration for the breed info of a dragon, or etc. they could also post in the topic for discussion. (Like the would this BSA work? thread in the BSA section.)

Or perhaps they can't figure out how to properly explain a dragons look, they could ask for some help there. Even people who need to do some proofreading before their topic can be approved could find hope there.

Finally, we could instate a time limit from the moment of your post (depending on what you needed) that you would have to wait out before advertising. So you couldn't get your thread approved and immediately advertise for artists. That would help ensure that advertisers had been seeking help and had been patient about it.

This thread would, of course, be done on a trial run. If it ends up with the same problem as the old thread and is just basically another sticky to clutter up dragon requests, I'll get rid of it.

So I was wondering if members would be interested in this. Would you check in to help others?

Thanks. :3

So, now that it's been a few years, what do you guys think? Would this be helpful? Is this something you would use?

Most importantly, are there other/less restrictions/etc. you'd like to see if this were implemented?

I think this would be a great idea as I've had major trouble getting sketches and Spriters for all my dragons. I really want to make more dragons when one of mine finally gets moved to the completed list, but I'm afraid the same thing will happen with what is happening with mine.

I doubt it would work, myself. One of the problems is that there are more requests than there are people with the skills to help. Plus people choose to help with projects based on what appeals to them. So, you could have people in there looking for help and not getting it because it didn't appeal to the people who were looking for a new project.

I just think the whole thing would become messy and no more help than it was when we tried this before.

I think I'd try it for my requests, e.g. I can do sketches and flat sprites fairly well but I can't pixel shade well enough and my wing positioning and perspective are poor, so I'd mostly would like to look for experienced sprite shaders who'd also redline the wings if any and define the muscles better.

I'd also need help with the writing (I give my ideas and sb puts that in a proper description) as I'm not a native and also have difficulties putting my thoughs in a well organised way.

But year, I'd definitely try to look for help with the sprite shading.