Obscure_Trash

Dragon Requests "Bulletin Board"

Yes or no to a DR 'Bulletin Board' (on a trial basis at first)?  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is something I've been throwing around for a while and would like opinions on.

I'd like to do a kind of bulletin board type thing for dragon requests, kind of like what they set up in the RP section.

The old dragon requests art thread was deleted because more people needed help than could give help, which is my main problem with this. I'm not sure it would do more good.

But anyway, to stop skirting the issue.

The 'bulletin board' would be a place where people could pop in and advertise for sketchers, spriters, critiques, spellchecking, etc., like the old thread did. It would be an easier, consolidated way for users looking to help out to find threads that need help, rather than having to skim through pages of subtitles and threads.

The first post would not be updated with these requests. Part of the problem in the original thread was that people would not come back to take their advertisement down or note that they had received help. So by not updating the first post, that would leave it reasonable for people looking to help out to skim through the last, maybe, page of posts or so. That way if somebody doesn't strike out that they got the help they needed, their request by default times out when it gets buried under other requests. We would still ask that people edit their posts when they no longer need assistance and possibly ask that people interested in helping out do post that so others can see that a thread has gotten help or if it still needs help.

In addition, people could also post there for help for topics that they haven't posted yet. If they need help working out some logical aspect of the request or need some inspiration for the breed info of a dragon, or etc. they could also post in the topic for discussion. (Like the would this BSA work? thread in the BSA section.)

Or perhaps they can't figure out how to properly explain a dragons look, they could ask for some help there. Even people who need to do some proofreading before their topic can be approved could find hope there.

Finally, we could instate a time limit from the moment of your post (depending on what you needed) that you would have to wait out before advertising. So you couldn't get your thread approved and immediately advertise for artists. That would help ensure that advertisers had been seeking help and had been patient about it.

This thread would, of course, be done on a trial run. If it ends up with the same problem as the old thread and is just basically another sticky to clutter up dragon requests, I'll get rid of it.

So I was wondering if members would be interested in this. Would you check in to help others?

Thanks. :3

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I have no problem lining, sketching, red lining or pretty much anything, but I have little time to do anything with college. I can still do redlines or attempt to sketch, but I prefer lining my own adults since half the time they're scribbles. I guess I could be fine making sketches at times.

the problem with red lines or crits is that some people don't like them even if the sketch is needeing them, so I rarely bother anymore. It's probably just my approach to things though. I don't mind people PMing me for help though. I would only go to this thread you are suggesting to help when I have time and if people actually want help. I've been meaning to get around to making a tutorial on anatomy but I haven't had the time and if I do make it I'm afraid it would just be wasted effort.

Well, if people are posting in the thread, it pretty much follows that they want help. If you pop into a thread and say "that needs redlines," they might not pay attention to you, but if they specifically say "can somebody redline this?" there's no reason why they wouldn't accept at least part of them.

Well, if people are posting in the thread, it pretty much follows that they want help. If you pop into a thread and say "that needs redlines," they might not pay attention to you, but if they specifically say "can somebody redline this?" there's no reason why they wouldn't accept at least part of them.

Problem is that I see plenty of sketches go through that look like the need help, bu the Sketcher may not realize it. I'm not tactful, I admit that much, but waiting until the sketch gets sprited or shaded is pretty much too late. It's a shame to not see some of these concepts never make it because of severe anatomy errors

Perhaps we could have a "complaint box" where if someone is asking for help and then disregarding it, they could be banned from the thread?

Perhaps we could have a "complaint box" where if someone is asking for help and then disregarding it, they could be banned from the thread?

I am not sure this is a good idea, for two reasons:

1. Sometimes the help people offer doesn't actually help, so I don't blame the person posting their art for not accepting the other person's redlines. So if someone is unfortunate enough to receive bad help numerous times in a row, I don't want to see that person possibly getting banned.

2. If someone is consistently turning down the good help that other people offer, then it won't be long before the people doing the helping realize that this person just won't accept any help. So, people will stop trying to help them. Once the person stops getting help from people in the thread they will grow tired of the thread and stop posting there. They will essentially ban themselves without anyone having to do anything.

Edited by Renorei

Sure! I'm fairly good at editing and giving advice, even if I'm not the clearest some times...

I support this suggestion.

I'm not opposed to your suggestion, Socky, I am concerned that the same problem will remain. That is, there are more people needing and wanting help than there are people with the ability and time to help.

i support it!

like Wook, though, i don't always have the time, and i won't always be able to help with sketching, but i love doing sprite-lines when i have nothing better to do and i can red-line, too. i may also be able to help folks eleborate more on their concepts if they need it, or anything like that..

so in short, yes. i would make use of this thread if it were created

(edit for elaboration ;3 )

Edited by ParticleSoup

I think this is a good idea. Sometimes I have an itch to sketch or sprite, but have trouble finding a request to contribute to. And when I came up with my own concept, I wanted some feedback but there's no concept crit thread (as far as I'm aware). A bulletin board type of thread would give people something to do when they want to help but don't know where, and it might also help to get projects moving when they're otherwise at a standstill.

I think its a good idea, So I voted yes.

I personally tought that the last thread that advertised artists was help for some of the users in this community, thats how I found some of my people who helped redline and sketch.

It was true that there were less people that offered help than the ones who needed it.

But that is just temporary untill some of us learn and we can help others.

Also as a bulleting board, a formated "sheet" would be necesarry for the people helping or requesting help, that way users notice, you could always say that once you recieve help you edit or delete your post so that way new artists dont get stuck

But once again I would like to try it.

As someone who's trying to learn pixel art, I think this would be pretty handy for me to skim through and see who needs help I'm qualified to give.

Would anyone be open to something like this with a bit of structure to it? Like, people would ask for help with, let's say, sketching. They'd be added to a chronological list of people who want sketching help, and the list would have the person's name and also a link to their thread where they need the help. People who are volunteering to help with sketching would be encouraged to visit the thread of the top name on the list. Once a person is satisfied that their sketching needs have been met, they would post in the bulletin board thread to be removed from the sketching list (and perhaps ask to be added to the redlining list or spriting list while they are at it), and the next person would now be at the top of the list. If they forget to notify anyone that they no longer need help, it wouldn't be too hard for us to figure it out if we see them asking for spriters in their thread.

It might take a long while to get to the top of the list, but that might be a good thing because it means their thread will have had plenty of time to get help from people who happen to take an interest in their thread while looking through Dragon Requests. So if they still need the help that they asked for when they asked to be added to the list, that means they must really need the help, because it has been quite a while and no one has popped in to offer assistance.

Bulletin Board volunteers might have a statement that they copy and paste in the thread that might read something like this:

Well hello there! I'm a volunteer from the dragon requests bulletin board thread. According to our list, you have requested help with sketching/redlining/shading/etc. I will now attempt to assist you. If you are satisfied with the help you receive, please visit this thread (with a link to the bulletin board thread) and let us know that you no longer need assistance with sketching, by making the following post:

[COLOR=blue]My name is (your forum name) from the (your dragon concept name) thread and I have received sketching help from (name of the person who assisted you).  I can now be removed from the list seeking sketching assistance.  [/COLOR]

The bulletin board thread would be managed by several people who are very active in dragon requests.

Part of the problem with the art help thread was that people didn't come back to get themselves removed, so the list looked a little bigger than it actually was. If this is done, I'd like to try something more relaxed than what we had before, as well as more encompassing. I don't think it really helped that much to have a list in the first post. ^^;;

That would be my main problem with it - that people would ask for help, get it, and then their post would still be up there with lots of other outdated requests for help. Requiring people to delete posts and whatnot might help but might not since many people don't seem to update their help requests in thread titles either. I don't know, the main reason I get kind of turned off from that sort of thing is because it requires going and looking through many threads to find one that still needs help.

Reading what renorei Posted, I think that yes it would need to be managed by several people or just a few, that can control and update.

I would be willing to volunteer, Im kinda of a control freak, when it comes to organizing and moving people along xd.png

The old thread did have multiple people running it, except that I kinda forgot abot it and Cami ended up doing all the work :x If it had more people there'd be no problem, really.

Would anyone be open to something like this with a bit of structure to it?  Like, people would ask for help with, let's say, sketching.  They'd be added to a chronological list of people who want sketching help, and the list would have the person's name and also a link to their thread where they need the help.  People who are volunteering to help with sketching would be encouraged to visit the thread of the top name on the list.  Once a person is satisfied that their sketching needs have been met, they would post in the bulletin board thread to be removed from the sketching list (and perhaps ask to be added to the redlining list or spriting list while they are at it), and the next person would now be at the top of the list.  If they forget to notify anyone that they no longer need help, it wouldn't be too hard for us to figure it out if we see them asking for spriters in their thread. 

It might take a long while to get to the top of the list, but that might be a good thing because it means their thread will have had plenty of time to get help from people who happen to take an interest in their thread while looking through Dragon Requests.  So if they still need the help that they asked for when they asked to be added to the list, that means they must really need the help, because it has been quite a while and no one has popped in to offer assistance. 

The trouble I see with trying to prioritize sketching/art requests, though, is... inspiration. That, combined with limited time on the part of artists. Sure, there are lots of great concepts out there that just lack the art required - but there are also plenty that're just plain not very interesting (from my own point of view, that is - I can look at it all I want, but it doesn't strike my fancy and I'm not getting inspired to sketch), or very difficult to get down realistically. Or, really, not especially interesting until some particular sketcher sees potential there, and drops an epic, unique sketch into the thread. Or - well, to be honest, although I very rarely say no if someone asks me directly to help them with their concept, if I'm just poking around looking for something to work on, unless something really grabs my attention, with limited time I'm more likely to jump in to work on a concept from someone I have some experience with, who I know is likely to be easy to work with. (As opposed to someone who, whether it's actually the case or not, seems to not have their act together so well, or not have a clear vision for things, or have such a clear personal idea of what they want that they're really picky and/or unwilling to listen to alternatives...)

So... although trying to push for prioritization may be good in theory, in practice I just don't think it's going to happen.

I would be really for this idea in general, though, and I certainly wouldn't object to a certain degree of formalization along the lines of what you suggested. I know that when I do have time, it helps me if I know for sure which threads still need help, and can look through for something that gets my interest.

I can get a concept done fairly quickly when I get on a roll during a less busy time, and I can easily go from four or five in-progress concepts I'm involved in, to having all of them wrapped up and sent to the completed section within a week. Although I'd love to contribute more with sketches (because, really, more often than not that's the number one need to get a thread rolling), my sketching skills are... somewhat unpredictable. If someone's got a solid enough sketch and needs spriting, or just needs hatchling sketches, or even better has solid spritelines and just needs shading - that I can more often help along quickly, regardless of whether it's a concept I'm especially inspired by.

But I'm hesitant to just jump in and offer if I see a thread like that, because it's often unclear whether they actually still need a spriter or not. (Subtitle is not a dependable source, seeing as on half the threads I sprite for the OP forgets to update from "needs spriters!", despite reminders. *g*) So - yeah, having a central place to look through would be very useful from my perspective of looking to give help, not just asking for it.

The big thing is always just that continual issue of people not coming back to update. Even if you do have someone going through the lists frequently to weed out requests for help that've been filled but not reported, it's often hard, looking at the threads, to tell whether or not it actually has been helped satisfactorily. A thread may have some workable sketches, but with no definite word from the OP of "Yes, let's go with this!" or "I just don't think this one will work, because ____" etc. it's hard for someone else to tell whether it's set, or still needs more help.

Edit: On further thought, maybe it would be a good idea to automatically remove posts after a certain amount of time, unless the OP updates to specifically say whether or not they still need the help? It might create more work, in a way... but it'd certainly keep the place more efficient and up-to-date.

Edited by Imbecamiel

Im ok with the auto removal of posts lets say with a week of being posted.

A way you can say to avoid people not comming back is giving them warnings, like, we provide the artist, all you have to do is come back and say thank you, if you dont in that period of time you will get a warning that will bring you to a grey list.

If its kinda hard to see im giving an example:

1. X goes to the thread

2. X makes a plea for an artist to help him out (Form 1)

3. X gets an artist in his thread

3a. if X likes his art and is satisfied with it, X should go back and post form 2 saying that he got help and would liked to be removed from the list.

3b. If x didnt get art he wanted or liked, he can go back to the thread and ask for an extension of his form??? like asking for more?? that way he keeps us updated

4. if x didint reply or give more information on how was he going, he would get a grey slip or pink slip. and if he got 3 lets say he would no longer be able to request help?

Hello there guys, Its been some time since someone last posted here a.k.a me. I just wanted to know if we reached any decision towards this issue? thanks!

(Btw I asked if it was ok to revive from a mod) just in case

Edited by Siryuki

I don't see any harm in giving this a go and seeing if it works. smile.gif It sounds like it could be beneficial and hopefully it would be, but if any issues crop up like there have been in the past, the thread could just be deleted again. The good thing about stuff like this on forums is that it doesn't have to be permanent. smile.gif If you see a kink that needs ironing out, the thread can be updated or changed, and if it doesn't end up working, then oh well. I think it would be worth giving it a shot though, since it sounds like it could be something that people would benefit from.

I'm still mulling over a lot of things. Plus, I'm really busy and would need some time to set up the rules and such. x3

Thanks sock, if you ever need any help so we can make this go on forward just tell me id be glad to help in whatever I can