Valkiepoo

Cave Blockers: Mossy Egg

I think a mossy overlay for the eggs would be neat, but I don't think the moss would be carried over to the hatchlings or adults. Besides the permission issue with the original artists, would the moss really have grown all the way through the egg and anchored itself to the hatchling?

The changed description is a more viable option and seems more logical.

Cool. Sounds like magic moss.

Maybe the magic of the moss would seep through the eggshell and 'infest' the hatchling. That would at least explain the MSA.

The moss-description should be additional to the normal descripitons (like the one for sickness) and be on all moss-hatchlings. So you can't know if it will have a MSA till its adult.

One addition to the Moss-overlay on eggs: The overlay should be a bit larger than the egg and/or should partially hang down from the egg.

A green-color-only-overlay may get lost on a green egg. (vines for example)

How about for each biome, something different grows on the egg? For the forest, it would be the moss. For the volcanic biome, it would be hardened magma. For coastal dragons, it would be Calcium carbonate, or salt crust, or algae, or coral or barnacles (so many choices). And so on.

Edited by Cod Cod

Wow, this is certainly one of the better developed ideas

But, just some questions?

How would a Magma or an Ember catch moss? They are really really too hot to be capable of catching moss

I like this idea though

Edited by Shinobimasterz

Wow, this is certainly one of the better developed ideas

But, just some questions?

How would a Magma or an Ember catch moss? They are really really hot to be capable of catching moss

I like this idea though

Maybe we should use lichens there. They can grow on hot stones in volcanic regions.

They can easily endure 80°C (~176°F)

A picture of what I mean with lichens (cause I don't know if I chose the right word)

user posted image

This sounds rather fun. *watches with interest*

Maybe we should use lichens there. They can grow on hot stones in volcanic regions.

They can easily endure 80°C (~176°F)

A picture of what I mean with lichens (cause I don't know if I chose the right word)

user posted image

yeah, but then there is another problem

then it wouldn't MSA for those

it would be LSA

This sounds rather fun. *watches with interest*

It does, doesn't it? I'm watching too.

I think some of us might be over-thinking this idea a bit. Yeah, moss might not *actually* be able to sap nutrients from an egg, or grow on a hot egg, but there are already so many things about the game that are unrealistic, surely you could suspend your disbelief for a moment and believe that the DC world has a special kind of moss that can grow on any egg and sap nutrients? Have you ever thought about the fact that our hatchlings grow their wings right before maturity rather than being born with them? That would be like a human sprouting arms at age 14 rather than having them from the start of life.

And I really think having different "growths" for different biomes is over-complicating things. That would require TJ to code something that would make an egg remember where it came from, which seems like so much trouble.

The moss idea, as the OP laid it out, is simple, logical-sounding, and workable. I had an initial argument that the mossy description would sometimes be in conflict with the actual egg/hatchling description (i.e. whiptails), but as someone else pointed out, the same could be said for "sick" hatchling descriptions. So it's a non-issue.

If we can't use moss, use fungus or something, without specifying specifically what kind of fungus. For all we know, the Drag Cave world does have a special kind of fungus that can grow on any egg and sap nutrients.

yeah, but then there is another problem

then it wouldn't MSA for those

it would be LSA

Does it really matter if it's an MSA, LSA, CCSA, or ASA? It's going to show up as "Naptime" or whatever the name of the action is, anyway. :3

Does it really matter if it's an MSA, LSA, CCSA, or ASA? It's going to show up as "Naptime" or whatever the name of the action is, anyway. :3

Correct - abbreviation doesn't matter. It's only MSA because I chose moss for this idea. If something else is more workable, I'm not going to throw a hissy fit that the abbreviation changes accordingly. I see this idea as something that could hopefully improve quality of gameplay without creating serious imbalance and I'm in favor of whatever has the best chance of accomplishing the idea's goal rather than adhering firmly to my own initial ideas.

I like this idea quite a bit.

Enough that I ran up a "quickie" lichen overlay. I'm sure it can be done better, as this only took about 5 minutes. But it's an example of what can be done. And to show how that looks on eggs, I applied it to three I happened to have handy.

user posted image

user posted image

Lichen comes in a wide variety of colors, from white to yellow, green and even red. I picked a greenish one for it's resemblance to moss.

I like this idea quite a bit.

Enough that I ran up a "quickie" lichen overlay. I'm sure it can be done better, as this only took about 5 minutes. But it's an example of what can be done. And to show how that looks on eggs, I applied it to three I happened to have handy.

user posted image

user posted image

Lichen comes in a wide variety of colors, from white to yellow, green and even red. I picked a greenish one for it's resemblance to moss.

i don't think you'dbe allowed to actually put the moss on the actual sprite of the egg would you? because it's not the spriters idea etc.

and moss on the actual dragon wouldn't be allowed either right?

i don't think you'dbe allowed to actually put the moss on the actual sprite of the egg would you? because it's not the spriters idea etc.

TJ is the one who created the first egg sprite, from which all other egg sprites were derived. If he's okay with the idea, then the overlay is fine.

Thats why we decided to use overlays over the eggs. And decided to have only a desription on the dragons. (overlays for all dragons would be to much work)

At least thats what all agreed to till now.

@ Fiona That looks pretty good for a 5 minute effort! Thank you, I think that'll help a lot with visualization.

@Wookieinmashoo I'd love to see what you can come up with. smile.gif

That goes for anyone that wants to try their hand at an overlay, too. I gave it an attempt myself, but wasn't able to come up with a color that made me happy and it just vanished when applied to some eggs. dry.gif My talents in spriting are still negligible.

Edited by Valkiepoo

I had an idea, maybe if you picked up a Vine egg that has the moss effect, it grew Vines instead of Moss. xd.png Just a silly idea though.

I think this idea is absolutely fantastic. I support it, and personally I believe it will be implemented because it doesn't really change gameplay radically. It only adds to it.

A thought to the moss: Perhaps you guys are overthinking it when it comes to making the eggs mossy. Putting moss over all the eggs, while an exciting idea, might upset some of the spriters who worked hard on those eggs. Instead, would it be possible to show the eggs sitting on a bed of moss which would not overlap the egg, but would still indicate that moss is present? Just an idea. Use it or don't xd.png

A+ idea overall. :3 Can I also have a support mossy eggs banner?

I had an idea, maybe if you picked up a Vine egg that has the moss effect, it grew Vines instead of Moss. xd.png Just a silly idea though.

The more ideas, the better! However, I think we should keep it simple to start with and only have a single overlay. If it is accepted and implemented, further updates could be explored later such as changes in moss/lichen color and shape, or addition of various parasitic plants.

If any exceptions or differences in plant type are made, I think it would make more sense to choose egg types that otherwise don't make sense. For example, white eggs: This egg has a very clean look; it's completely devoid of dirt and scratches. The idea of moss or lichen growing on a white egg makes less sense than others, as theoretically their health could be self-sustaining. This of course brings us back to the sickness argument though so it just kind of runs around in circles.

@ paradoxangel The banner I created can be used by anyone that feels like using it. biggrin.gif I threw the code up there too in case anyone else wants to add it to their signature. Thanks for your support! And if you feel like making your own banner (or if anyone else does too), I'm happy to include them in the post as well. :3

Edited by Valkiepoo

I loved this idea, so I thought I'd try my hand at the moss. ;3 It's not perfect or anything, but maybe it'll give other people some ideas! I mostly did it for fun.

I really liked the idea of a curly, creeping/hanging moss... so that's what happened, lol.

user posted image

It might be too dark/green for some of the eggs, but still. :B I liked it. Here's a second one with a patch in the upper right corner:

user posted image

Edited by Painter

I still like the sparkles idea... it's so much cuter than moss... But I guess if moss is the thing, moss it will be.

I think it would be easy enough to explain away things like the White egg description. "This egg is devoid of dirt and scratches, except for that moss."

Would the timer for an egg becoming mossy be affected by the times when the AP blocks the biomes? Or would it only count down when the AP is unblocked?

Because even desired eggs can sit there for long periods of time when the AP is full.

And in that vein, would the MSA replace the BSA a breed might already have? If, say, a red egg were to sit there for a while (due to AP blockage, ect.), would the MSA replace Incubate?

Something to consider.

EDIT: this idea has my support, by the way. Very creative. smile.gif

Edited by Derranged

I would think an MSA would be an added little extra, not something that would replace a much more useful BSA. I know I'd be a bit more than upset if a Red I picked up had an MSA rather than Incubate.

I don't think that eggs technically sit in the biomes when the AP is blocking them. They aren't removed, but if they aren't visible, then they aren't available to get, so couldn't be considered sitting there. That would be why all the eggs that are waiting in the queue to go into a biome would not collect moss. Only eggs that are visible and available to steal.

I would think that the BSA would be unaffected, as the breed of the dragon hasn't changed. Just my two cents.

Painter, your moss looks really real. I like it best without the corner patch, myself. Have you tried it against a vine egg to see if it disappears though? That would be the one that matches closest in color, I think.