Valkiepoo

Cave Blockers: Mossy Egg

Would the timer for an egg becoming mossy be affected by the times when the AP blocks the biomes? Or would it only count down when the AP is unblocked?

Because even desired eggs can sit there for long periods of time when the AP is full.

And in that vein, would the MSA replace the BSA a breed might already have? If, say, a red egg were to sit there for a while (due to AP blockage, ect.), would the MSA replace Incubate?

Something to consider.

EDIT: this idea has my support, by the way. Very creative. smile.gif

I also find this idea to be interesting. smile.gif

As for moss'd dragons with a BSA, what if it had both, but on the same timer? Seeing as the usual BSAs have a week-timer, it would share a timer with the BSA dragons that have a week-long timer, like Reds, Pinks, ect. Since the other BSA dragons' abilities are special, like bite or summon, and don't exactly effect a scroll like Earthquake would, it seems reasonable (to me).

Speaking of vamps, how would that work? Would a bitten egg retain the moss? Would there be a small percent chance that the moss goes away?

EDIT: ninja.gif'd twice o.o

Edited by Sapharus

"Your dragon seems to dislike the moss growing on the egg and refuses to bite it."

Personally, I think that's what would happen. Your vampy wants blood, not a mouthful of fungi! xd.png

I decided to take a crack at spriting a moss overlay. This was my first sprite (Well, I did make a few diagonal lines on an egg with the artist's permission once xd.png), and I think it came out really well.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Painter, your moss looks really real. I like it best without the corner patch, myself. Have you tried it against a vine egg to see if it disappears though? That would be the one that matches closest in color, I think.

Tried it, and... Oh man does it look awful against the vine, haha.

user posted image

It doesn't look too bad against plainer eggs (and it looks better against the pebble than I thought it would) but against the busier eggs, like the Stripe and Autumn... o3o It seems to lose a lot of it's shape.

I guess it's just too delicate. <3 I'm sure someone else will be able to make something more all-encompassing.

I still like the hanging moss idea though. That way it doesn't really mess with the water egg's puddle, or the daydream egg's cloud. Still, a patch (like PieMaster did!) as opposed to long curly stuffs, would probably be the easiest to see on all types of eggs.

But! I'm getting a little ahead of everything. The concept still needs some work, after all. :3

Tried it, and... Oh man does it look awful against the vine, haha.

user posted image

It doesn't look too bad against plainer eggs (and it looks better against the pebble than I thought it would) but against the busier eggs, like the Stripe and Autumn... o3o It seems to lose a lot of it's shape.

I guess it's just too delicate. <3 I'm sure someone else will be able to make something more all-encompassing.

I still like the hanging moss idea though. That way it doesn't really mess with the water egg's puddle, or the daydream egg's cloud. Still, a patch (like PieMaster did!) as opposed to long curly stuffs, would probably be the easiest to see on all types of eggs.

But! I'm getting a little ahead of everything. The concept still needs some work, after all. :3

While it still needs work, that's a beautiful bit of moss you've done there. Makes me want to make an ent-inspired deep forest dragon. Perhaps that'll be my next project when I feel like this idea has been smoothed out a bit more fully.

A lot of good ideas and good points of discussion have been brought up. Thank you all for helping this idea improve! I'll update the main post again sometime later today, especially RE: existing BSAs, cooldown time, and vamps. happy.gif

I always thought moss was spongy and grew in clumps/patches |D

I think this is a fabulous idea. The green question mark idea made me squeal in excitement.

Hi there. I'm loving this whole concept. I've also voted for other in the poll.

I made a sample overlay, and took my inspiration from Reindeer Moss, which is actually a lichen.

So, here you go.

Overlay with color bar.

user posted image

Overlay on a white egg.

user posted image

Would the timer for an egg becoming mossy be affected by the times when the AP blocks the biomes? Or would it only count down when the AP is unblocked?

Because even desired eggs can sit there for long periods of time when the AP is full.

Who cares? All this does is add to an egg's desirability. Can't hurt anything to have a few desirable eggs with moss.

Edited by ~!~

Who cares?  All this does is add to an egg's desirability.  Can't hurt anything to have a few desirable eggs with moss.

Well so-ree.

Edit: I asked because if it turns out that they do turn mossy while sitting in the biomes while they're blocked and a dragon can't have a BSA and an MSA at the same time, I don't want to be picking up a red that can't incubate, or a pink that can't influence, or a trio that can't summon.

Edited by Derranged

Well so-ree.

Edit: I asked because if it turns out that they do turn mossy while sitting in the biomes while they're blocked and a dragon can't have a BSA and an MSA at the same time, I don't want to be picking up a red that can't incubate, or a pink that can't influence, or a trio that can't summon.

I think the point is still valid as to whether the moss countdown would continue regardless of cave blockage. Here's how I see it:

PROS

Completionists have a chance at getting every "mossy" dragon.

Rarity value for trading, etc

Wider variety of "mossy" lineages

CONS

Incentive to clog the AP in order to force more uncommon eggs to grow moss. (and it's a big one and a deal-breaker for me)

Less incentive to pick up the more unwanted eggs - who wants a mossy pebble when they can have a mossy nebula?

Overall, I don't feel that the pros of the situation are heavy enough to outweigh the cons I see. I'd prefer that the counters are only active when the eggs aren't blocked by the AP. From the RP standpoint, this could be for a number of different reasons. The mass of eggs increases the heat of the cave through insulation (blocking out drafts xd.png), or something.

Voted for moss eggs.

How about an MSA called 'Blend In?' The dragon would disappear from your scroll/become moss-covered (like, to the point where you can't see the dragon themselves) for a few days or so.

Or, how about all moss eggs that keep the moss on their sprite? (That might require too much work, though...)

Or...how about your scroll gets a new theme? These are fairly easy to program- just put moss on the edges, for example. We could call that...'Cover?'

Two things I noticed:

CONS

Incentive to clog the AP in order to force more uncommon eggs to grow moss. (and it's a big one and a deal-breaker for me)

Less incentive to pick up the more unwanted eggs - who wants a mossy pebble when they can have a mossy nebula?

1)How about only eggs that sit in the biomes so as to encourage non-AP blocking?

2)Addressed below.

I think they should only grow moss when unblocked. Then we won't run into the second problem addressed in the previous quote.

EDIT: I think we may have a problem: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=92011

Mossy dragons have been approved, so...yeah. Maybe we should go with Shad_'s idea? It would be easy to make a simple sparkle pattern that would suit pretty much all dragons' sprites that way. (And I still suggest my MSA's, only with the obvious modifications- maybe instead of 'Blend In,' we have 'Shine?' 'Cover' can stay as is, only with sparkles.)

Edited by stogucheme

Something to consider re: the "fairy dust" vs. moss: I think adding sparkle overlay would be easier for the mods to do than adding some form of moss to every possible sprite, since moss would need to be drawn in differently on hatchlings and adults, whereas the sparkles would be a rough shape that doesn't exactly correspond to the actual animal...

I made an overlay too. I thought it made a bit more sense to have the moss growing up from the bottom of the egg since I think that's what would actually happen in real life.

On a grey egg:

user posted image

user posted image

Edited by Renorei

stogucheme, having a dragon request with moss in the name doesn't mean this idea can't still be called moss. Plus, being approved for dragon requests does not mean it will ever make it to the cave.

Shad_, the moss doesn't need to be added to all the hatchlings and adults. Valkie suggested adding a line to the dragon's page, similar to the "sick" message, or the message on a hatchling's page when they're forced. What would go on the eggs is an overlay.

Renorei, I kinda like yours too, but have you ever looked at moss covered rocks? I usually see it on the top, not the bottom. Moss is a plant, and usually grows toward the sun. (I have a whole backyard mostly covered in moss, so I have lots of opportunities to see how it grows. Though I'm somewhat lacking in round objects for it to grow on. Not a dragon egg in sight.)

Shad_, the moss doesn't need to be added to all the hatchlings and adults. Valkie suggested adding a line to the dragon's page, similar to the "sick" message, or the message on a hatchling's page when they're forced. What would go on the eggs is an overlay.

I like the idea of somehow altering the hatchling and adult sprites, only because it would give people (like me) who don't particularly need the MSAs, and for whom a line in the description isn't really worth bothering to collect them.

Also, I think it depends on whether the egg is in the sun or the shade. Doesn't moss prefer partial shade to straight sunlight? So if the egg is laying out in the open, the moss would grow on the underside. However, if it's in a cave, probably the top is where the moss would be.

Edited by ~!~

I really support the mossy egg idea. It sounds like a pretty good way to keep the biomes moving.

I like the idea of somehow altering the hatchling and adult sprites, only because it would give people (like me) who don't particularly need the MSAs, and for whom a line in the description isn't really worth bothering to collect them.

I think altering the sprites may cause a lot of work for the spriters because they'd have to edit/remake sprites.

Also, I think it depends on whether the egg is in the sun or the shade. Doesn't moss prefer partial shade to straight sunlight? So if the egg is laying out in the open, the moss would grow on the underside. However, if it's in a cave, probably the top is where the moss would be.

Hmm, you're right but then moss would grow on the egg in different spots depending on the biom. For example. An egg in the Desert would grow moss on the bottom, but and egg in the Jungle would probably have it on the top of the egg or just covering the entire egg. dry.gif Or perhaps the moss on the eggs should just be in the same place to avoid having to draw it in different places? Maybe one side of the egg has moss on it and the other side doesn't? sleep.gif I'm not really sure. I guess either way is fine with me. happy.gif

Even if the lack of... whatever in the egg made a dragon more prone to laziness and being still, I highly doubt that anything but a Stone (or maybe Vine) dragon would be still enough to allow moss to grow on it. So aside from spriter permission issues, it's just plain illogical to have moss on hatchlings or adults. Eggs make sense- they're not moving, so moss could have time to grow over them.

Anyway. I'm all for this idea smile.gif

If the moss idea is implemented, I don't think the location of the moss should differ between the eggs. One overlay should be enough for the regular sized eggs, no matter what biome they're in. Besides, didn't someone say earlier that eggs don't 'remember' what biome they came from?

Or, if you want several different overlays, make them random. (Like terrae egg patterns, you know?)

I love this idea! it would ake people a lot more likely to grab cave blockers. Also, people wouldn't know if their egg would hatch with the extra description, and bsa's or not. then, even if they didn't hatch right, then they would still be pretty likely to keep the hatchie, as hatchlings don't lock your scroll as easily as eggs do. this is the first good solution i've heard! i'm really hoping this idea will be used!

I think this would definitely be a good idea, and could really help keep caves from having eggs in them for, well, forever

I think that if there was a new sprite for each type of dragon, it might exacerbate our existing problems. Whereas if there were many different random alts of the same mossy dragon, then it might prevent people trying to flood the AP.