Valkiepoo

Cave Blockers: Mossy Egg

ok, haven't read the whole thread so maybe this was mentioned (sorry!) but I for one would really like to see something on the adult sprite that indicates that it's mossy. Just a little green patch down in a corner (not even on the sprite, but where the ground would be) would be neat.

I'm iffy on the MSAs as well, but would be neat to get dragons with moss patches.

I would however, love if 'and it's mossy!' were added to all the descriptions.

Edited by calankh

@Renoei, Princess Artemis: Oh yeah! I forgot that "legally blind" doesn't always mean completely blind. I understand what you mean now, thanks for clearing things up. happy.gif

And I think it's sort of cool how someone who is completely blind can still enjoy this game. I remember the thread about the alternate text, I admit I was one of the people thinking "they can't see anything, they can't enjoy it that much, can they?", but now I understand. Like you said, if deaf people can enjoy music, why can't blind people enjoy described images? Imagination is a wonderful thing. smile.gif

'This egg is very reflective, almost metallic looking. And it's mossy!'

If I saw this particular egg with moss I'd be shocked! Who would leave a metallic egg in the cave for that long? xd.png

Edited by Flérida_Pagan

Ok, I'm confused. This thread seems to have slowed but my Topic subscription thingy keeps insisting on telling me that there is something new here.

On the off-chance that it's my pc's way of trying to tell me something I put the banner in my sig, lol.

And since I'm here... I noticed that SPS has visited the thread but I don't see any other special colored names. Valkie, I was just wondering if you ever received any sort of feedback from any of the mods on this idea. Other than what is here in the thread. If you're willing to share...

I love this idea! It's a reason for non-forum members to pick up commons. I like the "and it's mossy!" concept xd.png but I don't like the idea of putting actual moss on hatchies/adults. Maybe a little symbol like the frozen asterisk; a tiny leaf, perhaps?

Oh, I have a legally blind friend who plays DC! She doesn't use any assistant technology to play, but I'll ask her.

edit: she's fine with it, as long as it's a neon, highlighter type green.

Edited by spark3210

i like the basis of this idea. i find the AP clears out so much quicker than biomes which is so frustrating for me even though i'm not fussy about where my eggs come from. new release eggs rarely appear in the AP so i sit for about 20 min before i give up because those damn blockers never move or are replaced by MORE blockers -screeeeeeee-

a few kinks which other people are covering quite nicely. i vote lichen more than moss simply because you can get lichen ANYWHERE. moss is rare in deserts.

I mean blind, as in legally or totally.

Somewhere deep in Suggestions, a blind player requested that the AP have alt text added to it so she could use it with her screen reader. She was quite loudly shouted down for this and told that she couldn't possibly enjoy DC because she couldn't see the sprites. It was, of course, utterly absurd to tell her what she could and could not enjoy, but that's what happened.

Since people who are deaf can enjoy music just fine, I don't see at all why a blind person couldn't enjoy a game with written dragon descriptions all over the place.

That's unbelievably mean, does the thread still exist?

I want to find out what happened.

I absolutely LOVE the idea, I think it's a good way to "speed up" the cave blockers movement. The "and it's mossy!" idea is great, and I love it, but what about the White Egg? I know you've mentioned it before, but with the new idea for a description It would sound like : "This egg has a very clean look; it's completely devoid of dirt and scratches. And it's mossy!" It sounds rather... err... weird. How about : "This egg has a very clean look; it's completely devoid of dirt and scratches. Except that it's mossy!" Or something like that. I think it sound a bit better that way, but it would cause too much trouble, I could live with it! wink.gif

Again- LOVE the idea!! biggrin.gif

I love this idea too!! Not only does it look like it solves some problems but it sounds really fun too! I really hope this will be taken further!

Edit;

I felt like giving it a try and made some moss overlays smile.gif I don't usually do this kind of stuff so I hope it's kinda the right style ._.

user posted imageuser posted image

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

I just really want to see this idea be taken to the cave biggrin.gif

Edited by ixupi

I felt like giving it a try and made some moss overlays smile.gif I don't usually do this kind of stuff so I hope it's kinda the right style ._.

user posted imageuser posted image

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

I love these... although I must say I prefer the one without the sprouts.

EDIT: I zoomed in on these, and it seems like they're not really sprites (afaict they have a jillion colors). I'd think that at most, the moss overlays would have... 8 colors? Seems like a reasonable max to me.

In other news: I don't think it's really important to make sure the moss doesn't clash with any of the egg colors. It's not really that big a deal. Making it so that the moss is visible on all egg sprites is more important, imho.

Edited by ~!~

Here's a link to a pic taken from google of moss. I can't sprite, but if someone could I think this would be a cool moss.

Hi everyone! I'm sorry I've fallen behind with updating the initial post.

However, since TJ says that something is going to be implemented to deal with cave blocker issues, I'm going to hold off on any updates until we know if it will make this idea redundant or unfeasible (or if it IS the update. hey I can dream...)

Thank you all for your support! I'm very grateful for all of the ideas, sprites, and commentary that have helped build out this proposal to where it is now.

I think implementing mossy eggs would be a good idea for its own sake, not just to lessen the problem of cave blockers. That is to say, I think we should keep discussing them anyway.

I don't see why we can't keep talking about it, either, though I wouldn't be surprised if the thread gets closed by TJ like the Wasteland one was.

The Wasteland pretty much had only one effect, which was to fix the blocker problem. This has lots of other effects. (And I don't think fixing the blocker problem is necessarily one of them... but I like the idea anyway.)

I think that eggs sitting in the ap should get moss over time as well, that would help keep ratios good too

I really like this idea..... Except for one thing you're missing. Maye you howls add something for a matured hatchling. Something along the lines of....

This hatchling is not quite as active as the others of its species. It seems more patient, but you can't tell what it might be waiting for. It has begun to stars at the other dragons. And look! It's grown wings!

Or something like that

I really like this idea. smile.gif I get a little bit sick of all the cave blockers and I think having something that would provide an added incentive for people to pick them up would definitely be a good thing.

This would definitely get me to pick up those cave blockers ;3 a unique egg would send everyone into a clicking frenzy.

I like this idea simply because it adds a little something special to relatively normal eggs. It may see an increase in hatchlings in the AP as well, if people grab mossy eggs and then dump normal hatchlings- and I sure wouldn't be complaining about seeing more hatchlings in the AP!

I like this idea it's quite different. I think i'd like to see it in the cave and AP myself. It would be interesting if it could change the dragon sprites tho... but with something simple like the overlay made for the eggs. Maybe a 'special background' so technically and 'underlay???' something easy to be made wouldnt really change the original artwork. As for the BSA i dont think the ones mentioned in the first post really remind me of something that a 'mossy' egg/dragon would make happen... The best i can think of is it would slow time down... like add a day to an egg or a few hours *shrugs*

very interesting idea though

this sounds interesting. so would mossy eggs have a different description so it wouldn't be clear what it originally was? like how the "strange markings" eggs are random as to what you actually pick up?