Rubs

Cartoon Network is running out of ideas...

Old vs New, whos better?  

181 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Old. *nods* By which I mean my era kinda 'old'. 80's cartoons ftw! So much of the stuff around now just seems to be pale (and badly animated) imitations of the great originals!

I love how sometimes in the morning they show Tom and Jerry :D

I still like to watch Dexter's Lab, Power Puff Girls and sometimes Jonny Bravo (just to see how the hell they could let such a ...well not sexist but wtf the main character) on Boomerang, along with Jonny Quest, and I can sometimes catch Pirates of Dark Water. But never Thundercats. :c I love Courage the Cowardly Dog, though sometimes the designs are freaky. Ninja Turtles rules, and the first generation of Power Rangers I watched that. Well I think I'm mixing up networks because my memory is fuzzier than a Pillow dragon. FREAKAZOID omg who remembers that? I shouldn't have to list Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain.. those just win.

I was never a fan of Ed, Edd and Eddy, but I watched it.. no idea why.

I still like to watch Dexter's Lab, Power Puff Girls and sometimes Jonny Bravo (just to see how the hell they could let such a ...well not sexist but wtf the main character) on Boomerang, along with Jonny Quest, and I can sometimes catch Pirates of Dark Water. But never Thundercats. :c I love Courage the Cowardly Dog, though sometimes the designs are freaky. Ninja Turtles rules, and the first generation of Power Rangers I watched that. Well I think I'm mixing up networks because my memory is fuzzier than a Pillow dragon. FREAKAZOID omg who remembers that? I shouldn't have to list Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain.. those just win.

I was never a fan of Ed, Edd and Eddy, but I watched it.. no idea why.

Freakazoid. I miss that show so much. I think those last few are kids WB, which died to be replaced by 4Kids, shows. I miss kids WB shows.

Jonny Quest AUGH! I MISS THEM ALL! *cries in a corner*

I stopped watching Cartoon Network and switched to Boomerang... they actually run good shows like Jonny Quest, still. Tried watching CN a few weeks ago, saw the last ten minutes of the Ordinary Show... how on earth is that funny!?

I stopped watching Cartoon Network and switched to Boomerang... they actually run good shows like Jonny Quest, still. Tried watching CN a few weeks ago, saw the last ten minutes of the Ordinary Show... how on earth is that funny!?

It's not funny at first. It becomes funny as it kills your brain cells over time.

H'okay, shows I like (excuse me if I mix up networks x3):

Courage the Cowardly Dog

Ed, Edd, and Eddy

Powerpuff Girls

Pinky and the Brain

Catdog

Codename: Kids Next Door

Cow and Chicken

I am Weasel

Johnny Bravo

Dexter's Laboratory

Anamaniacs

Bugs Bunny

The Flintstones

Jackie Chan Adventure's (though I probably only liked this because Jackie Chan is love)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Scooby-Doo

Sailor Moon

Popeye

The Jetsons

Shows I don't like:

Adventure Time

Flapjack

Chowder

Teen Titan

Billy and Mandy (I tried to get into it and I think it has potential, but there are just a lot of things in it that are blah for me)

Zoids

Yu-Gi-Oh

Dragonball Z

Samurai Jack

Static Shock

Johnny Quest

Naruto

Mucha Lucha

Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends

Code Lyoko

My Gym Partner's a Monkey

Chaotic Camp Lazlo

Ben 10

I'm sure there's a bunch from both those lists I'm missing.

So yeah. I do tend to like the older stuff better (nostalgia, probably).

Yu-Gi-Oh

Dragonball Z

Naruto

Ummm.... Socky... These aren't CN programs. I know that some Networks broadcast shows that don't actually belong to them. Naruto is Dattabayo.

Yu-Gi-Oh

Dragonball Z

Naruto

Ummm.... Socky... These aren't CN programs. I know that some Networks broadcast shows that don't actually belong to them. Naruto is Dattabayo.

Naruto may not belong to CN BUT CN played it on their channel. Dragonball Z also.

Yu-Gi-Oh (the original) was aired by kids WB.

Edited by crazywargod

Like I said Crazy, they broadcast it.

Do not insult the Naruto!

And that makes it a CN show. Not a CN original but still a CN show.

That's why they differentiate when playing a show.

I tended to judge a show on content, style, and animation smoothness, even as a kid. even though a show could be good in all those categories, that doesn't mean I didn't like it...

For instance, Tom and Jerry which had great animation and design, but I hated the physics, or lack thereof in the show, so I didn't watch it much as a kid.

To pull off Sock's list:

(liked shows by Sock)

Courage the Cowardly Dog - interesting concept; the character design was unique and a little on the gritty side; average animation quality.

Ed, Edd, and Eddy - I cannot express how much I love this show. It was the last hand drawn and inked animation, which is an achievement in itself because I think Disney stop doing that, what, in the 80s? Also has such weird characters that you can't help but love them, the animation itself was average, and the style messy so it probably wouldn't appeal to everyone.

Powerpuff Girls - unique style at the time, average animation and fun content. I liked how certain references were dropped in and some you could have easily missed, such as a certain scene when a girl said she was an "accident" too. Characters were also good (Mojo JoJo??)

Pinky and the Brain - Didn't watch I don't think, or don't remember watching it.

Catdog - Interesting concept; I remember I liked it, but I can't think of it being terribly uniqe.

Codename: Kids Next Door - I hated this show, so I can't judge it. I think it was because I was too old to sympathize with the characters. I think the characters were fun personality wise.

Cow and Chicken - to me it tried to be Ren and Stimpy, so it had dubious content. Aggressive style, weird content...to me it feels they tried to drag on a generation of cartoons that had died out.

I am Weasel - didn't watch

Johnny Bravo - A fancy looking guy whose only intentions is to find a sassy lady and whose only friend is pretty much a soda jerk and a little girl? Why not. The content seems to make me think it took place around the 60s, Johnny being an obvious Elvis hybrid. It had interesting content with a simple style. I can't remember much on the animation though. Theme song = win

Dexter's Laboratory -Great concept, and a unique style. I hated it changed style when the rights were sold to another company. I have to say though, I love mandark's/Susan's back story. The animation was nothing unique.

Anamaniacs - I don't remember watching this much, but it seems it was pretty much the Looney Toons of a new generation. The content for each set of characters was always unique though I can't really remark on it because I didn't watch it much.

Bugs Bunny - too old to rate, it's a classic, even though I didn't like it as a kid.

The Flintstones - same as above, but this one I loved :3

Jackie Chan Adventure's - They were able to make a story out of a single living person...content was fun enough, though a bit, dry at times, style was meh and I didn't think it fit, but the animation was smooth. Overal not the greatest show, but I loved it anyway.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - /hugs 80s Ninja Turtle lunch box ; to old to rate.

Scooby-Doo- also old, but I loved it, even if it was ungodly cheesy and not funny at all, not to mention repetitive, and why did I watch this show??

Sailor Moon - didn't watch

Popeye - also too old to rate

The Jetsons- same as above.

(Disliked shows by Sock)

Adventure Time - No clue what this is.

Flapjack - still no clue

Chowder - textured environments and characters =/= pretty; didn't watch.

Teen Titan - I liked this show. I think the creators did a good job blending in certain Japanese animation qualities. The characters were nothing unique though and the style I felt didn't fit and the animation was okay, I guess. So I can't really say why I liked it.

Billy and Mandy- gritty style and the characters and concept make one think wtf. The concept was explained on the first episode when the show was "Grim and Evil" , which was somewhat of a play on Bill and Tedd's Bogus Journey. The show wasn't for everyone, it may have just been too nonsensical for most. The Grim reaper also had a Jamaican accent, which is amusing in my book.

Zoids - not for everyone; decent animation, crappy story (depending on the season you look at) and good blend of CGI and traditional. I loved this show though.

Yu-Gi-Oh - I watched it. It's too serious and the idea behind it is ridiculous.

Dragonball Z - watch the original dragon Ball, much more entertaining and not nearly as long.

Samurai Jack - I didn't watch much of it, but I thought the concept was very interesting. The style reminded me too much of Powerpuff girls and it really didn't fit. It also had the same animation quality...kinda odd.

Static Shock - Good character art, good animation, nice concept. I hated it because I thought it was ****ing boring.

Johnny Quest- didn't watch.

Naruto - bad, bad, choice of voice actors for the English version. Badly edited also. I watched the Japanese version before it came out in English and liked it much better. Just like almost all Shonen Jump Anime and manga though, it went on far too long. The quality was average at firs, sometimes good, but went downhill dramatically...it's sub par over all, even if I did like it. I'm not afraid to mention that a show I like is crap.

Mucha Lucha - simple style, dunno what to say on that...other than it being highly unoriginal. Content was strange, but very original and the animation was nothing great. The odd content and characters was the only thing going for it. I liked it anyway.

Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends - I really think this was one of the last great ones from CN. The cutout style worked well and the characters and content were well done. Again the cretors slipped some things in that younger ones wouldn't understand. The animation wasn't too bad either. I loved it, but it took effort to get into.

Code Lyoko - I don't know what this is

My Gym Partner's a Monkey - didn't watch it

Chaotic Camp Lazlo - reminded me of a poor attempt at Rocko's Modern Life. Kinda entertaining I guess.

Ben 10 - interesting concept, poorly executed with a style that didn't fit, badly thought out characters and bad voice acting. I watched it anyway.

Two shows I'd like to mention:

Time Squad. It didn't last long, but it actually was educating you without you realizing it...sneaky. I really think the characters and stories were interesting. There were plenty of times something was slipped in, such as the Planet of the Apes spoof (the bit with the statue of liberty). I'm sure I remember a 2001 bit too. Too bad this show flopped.

Storm Hawks. Annoying theme song, but the style was very nicely done. The characters were fun and their design focuses on their personalities and looks, other than their hair and clothing. The concept for the entire world and the vehicle ideas were great. Everything fit well into its own little world, the Vectored, cell shaded art was nice too. I didn't get a chance to watch most of it, but I think single episode content may have been a bit shallow for some. I will say if it was done traditionally and released in the 80s, it would have been a hit. Too bad they were late for that era.

Edited by Wookieinmashoo

I love how sometimes in the morning they show Tom and Jerry biggrin.gif

Well, they still air the old Tom and Jerry... that's a good cartoon, but some episodes that has negative stereotypes.

I miss the classics from like tom and jerry, the jetsons and the flintstones to the newer old stuff like courage billy and mandy knd, I especially miss toonami that is what made CN the boss but after it stopped I went else where [like avatar the last air bender] maybe being 20 jaded my view on cartoons but all the new stuff [cept family guy] isn't good

Do not insult the Naruto!

? I don't believe anyone insulted Naruto and we are allowed to not like the show. o3o

Actually, after I figured I was too easily confused by stations, I went to wiki and went through part of the list they mentioned for CN. :3

~

It's weird. I know Toonami and heard it mentioned a lot, but I don't believe I've ever seen any part of it. o.o

~

Holy wow, excellent breakdown, Wookie. owo

I'll be using the list here Sock provided as well. =]

Courage the Cowardly Dog = I found this show was quite enjoyable. The phrase "Stupid Dog" will forever haunt me every time I see a dog acting stupid.

Ed, Edd, and Eddy = How I loved this, and I still do. I was impressed at the art works done to it and how far they have tooken it.

Powerpuff Girls = I remember watching this when I was young. I never really paid attention to it but I did find it entertaining to watch.

Pinky and the Brain = Haha, how this show left its mark. ^^ Such a classic to watch and will watch it any time of the day.

Catdog = Aahh yes, CatDog. Brings back memories.

Codename: Kids Next Door = I actually found this quite entertaining. The concept is just abnormal but it was good nonetheless.

Cow and Chicken = Saw it once and never liked it again. <.< 'Rocks Modern Life' is where it's at.

I am Weasel = Never saw this...

Johnny Bravo = This was just 'meh' to me.

Dexter's Laboratory = Cool. That is all...

Anamaniacs = Best. Classic show. EVER! The Warner's and their hectic ways are unique as ever. In fact, I remember playing their sub-games on the PC numerous of times.

The yellow dinosaur must DIE! *drops an anvil* Burn damn you! *flames it* IT JUST WONT DIE!! T-T

Bugs Bunny = Gasp! He is a legend to me. No words can describe him.

The Flintstones = I liked it but not as much to say it's cool. The repeated backgrounds gets too uncanny.

Jackie Chan Adventure's = Loved it! I probably have watched all the seasons. (from Talismans to Masks) Amazed how far this has gone also.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles = Really well done, but for some reason I just couldn't put myself into supporting it for too long. Seen a few here and there but never really did follow it.

Scooby-Doo = Nothing can beat the classics. But the remakes they have done to this are becoming aggravating. NO MORE!

Sailor Moon = Ok this, I was actually addicted to. o.o I remember the first season but after then...nothing.

Popeye = It's good but not really something I would like to watch occasionally.

The Jetsons = I saw it exactly like 'The Flintstones', only it's the future.

Adventure Time = I've seen a few of them but it's just plain stupid if you ask me. The drawing looks like a 10 year old designed it and made it into a series.

Flapjack = This was well put into details, especially the art which makes it overly dramatic and waaaay to creepy. Still something I wouldn't watch at most.

Chowder = It beats 'Adventure Time' any day. The show is so-so but still great.

Teen Titan = One of the top 5 shows I'd love watching. Great perception and works that it kept me glued to it until the show was at the conclusion.

Billy and Mandy = Am I the only one who liked this? Sure it was brainless and didn't make much sense but it was a show that I somehow found it comical.

Zoids = What?

Yu-Gi-Oh = First season, and probably second, and that was it for me. Too much dramatic scenes that it became way too serious.

Dragonball Z = Something the likes of 'Yu-Gi-Oh' only this I stayed with as long as I can remember. Again something I would enjoy watching if I do get a chance to see.

Samurai Jack = Heard of it but never saw it...

Static Shock = I saw this change over time; when the art was at its lowest to the high quality kind. And I really did like this show.

Johnny Quest = Never heard of it... but I do know of a 'Johnny Test'

Naruto = Hmm.... I could I put this. Good and all but never properly followed the seasons. I lost in touch with it a long time ago. I guess it's because it left too many cliff hangers that I just couldn't stand the wait time and the extensive pauses for an action to happen.

Mucha Lucha = Great show. All I can say.

Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends = How I cherished this the most. All I can say is that I'm glad I've watched every episode ever made. Art, concept, plot, design, everything was excellent about it.

Code Lyoko = Liked. Liked. Liked. 2D art combine with 3D models. Something that is not seen every day. Ironically I stopped watching this and never have seen the ending....

My Gym Partner's a Monkey = Great at first but it became 'bleh' within episodes.

Chaotic = Was this suppose to be separate? I enjoyed this the most. Taking the being of the character and then using it as your own. It's competitive battle to the extreme.

Camp Lazlo = I liked it, yes but I also liked how they ended it. Series like this should only last for a certain season.

Ben 10 = This had extra potential and I'm glad to watch about 3-4 seasons of this. So much work has been done to it.

Whew, that was a lot to go through. Many nostalgia moments were met during the criticizing.

EDIT: Much writing = much incorrects.

Edited by Sombreon

I have four words for you.

"The Looney Tunes Show."

Not "Looney Tunes." The Looney Tunes Show.

Yeah. They're re-making Looney Tunes. I call sacrilege and blasphemy on this whole thing.

PS, The Roadrunner and Wile E Coyote are now illustrated with CGI. Not the rest of the toons, just those two. Not sure why.

Cartoon Network, was it not enough that you replaced all of the wonderful shows of our childhoods, now you have to destroy them? ;-;

At which point my soul broke and I started to cry.

I've been psyched that they're playing the old Looney Tunes, but this new one.... is just... the commercials make me cry a little.

My problem with current Cartoon Network, is what the heck is up with live action shows, I thought it was Cartoon network.

I thought Chaotic was supposed to be separate too. I never saw Camp Lazlo with Chaotic in the name. T.V guide or the actual show. Where did it come from?

Oh my gosh, guys. I forgot an enter. Don't be making up new shows, now. XD

(Or do it. CN apparently needs them. :B)

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Toonami was the greatest thing cartoon network ever did for itself.

Now you have to watch DisneyXD or wait for adult swim to see any anime at all.

Most of the shows Sombreon mentioned I enjoyed. Nowadays most cartoons they create are just stupid, I don't understand why its gone so downhill.

What about Cartoon Real programming? Now cartoon network doesn't even play cartoons anymore! What a brilliant idea! Who the hell is in charge over there now?

Edited by Arwen17

This new CN series can either turn out really good or really bad.

Seeing an old time favorite classic show now in the modern media can really do a number in someones childhood.

As far as the videos go, some of them were great. The best you listed down, Zovesta, I found them best as well. biggrin.gif

HEY GUYS. Guess what? The Looney Tunes Show is actually funny. I'm seriously looking forward to it.

Here, watch these clips.

[removed for brevity]

YOU'VE GOT SOMETHING GOING FOR YOU YET CN =D

... Nope, still not excited.

Sorry. I'm just really not liking the new style. sad.gif

They might win points for integrating music effectively with the scenes and actions like the old Toons did, but somehow I doubt that will happen...

I think that would have been a whole lot cooler if they had come up with completely new characters for it. Maybe next gen Looney Toons? x3