Rubs

Cartoon Network is running out of ideas...

Old vs New, whos better?  

181 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I like the old cartoon network better, the only show i like in the new one is adventure time and johnny test and sometimes clone wars.

the shows i liked the most were powepuff girls, ed edd n eddy, courage, flapjack and foster home

The old was much better. It seems that most old stuff is better compared to the new stuff.

I liked the first season of Young Justice. Everything after that sort of annoyed me.

But the old cartoons are certainly the best. That's why I don't even watch Cartoon Network anymore. I watch Boomerang since it has all of the old shows I know and love. I even try to get my little sister to watch Boomerang instead of Dora the Explorer. Because, lets face it, you don't learn anything from that silly show.

Shows I liked:

The Flintstones

The Jetsons

Power Puff Girls

Courage the Cowardly Dog

Johnny Bravo

Two Stupid Dogs

Code name: Kids next door

TMNT (though I'm not so sure I saw it on CN)

Ed,EddnEddy

The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy

Top Cat, oh gods how I loved Top Cat.

Even I am Weasel and Cow and Chicken.

And not to mention all the Looney Tunes

Also, a long time favorite of mine used to be Swat Kats, but then one episode freaked me out so badly I never watched that show again xd.png. On the bright side: after that whatever Courage the Cowardly dog had to throw at me was easy.

On the other hand, from the new CN, the only one I kind of sort of watched used to be Total Drama Island, and mainly because it was supposed to be a Survivor parody and I like Survivor. Aside from that I could never get into shows like Foster's, Chowder, Ben 10,Adventure Time or all the rest.

In my opinion, although I don't really hate any of the shows shown on Cartoon Network today... I still am sorta picky and like the old shows better.

For instance, I liked the old, original Ben 10. But they also made Ben 10 Alien Force and Ultimate Alien, and both are sorta boring, like the new CGI cartoons like Gormiti and maybe Transformers Prime. However, I like Ben 10 Omniverse, and I see the reason; it's a little bit more cartoony unlike Ben 10 AF and UA.

The whole network went downhill after 2008, with their need to import cartoons, instead of making originals with Hanna Barbera. There are only 2 good shows on there, Gumball and Looney Tunes Show.

It's not just Cartoon Network that's running out of ideas - everyone is. Shows are awful now and some of them really make me want to rip my eyes out to avoid watching them at all. Cartoon Network should be renamed with the lack of 'cartoons' it has now.

Boomerang is really all I can tolerate of late and that's for obvious reasons. Though it's sad that Teen Titans is on Boomerang, makes me feel really old.

Old cartoons!

I really don't like the new ones because it's all random bs I used to watch CN ALL the time and now I only watch adultswim .-.

I swear my kids are never going to watch CN ever I'm just going to pop in my DVDs and have them watch old cartoons xd.png

Old without a second thought. The new cartoons are a bunch of nonsense, if you ask me. I miss the old shows so much. sad.gif

Old. I like Adventure Time, Regular Show and Amazing World of Gumball but thats it for new shows. Johnny test...I hate it with a passion. The early seasons actually weren't bad, but then the animation changed completely and they began adding in dumb sound effects every 2 seconds e.g "Clean up your room (alarm sound)" "But daaaad (lame excuse and whiplash sounds as he waves his arms". The new animations are crap, so I hate the new Johnny test. Also I hate how Susan and Mary are always going "Blah blah Gill blah blah handsome". They are supposedly smart but can't even figure out there are two of them and one Gill, and also that he always completely ignores them.

I love Young Justice, and am watching Young Justice: Invasion. I am so glad they renewed the show, and the whole thing with Calderon being Black Mantas son and Artemis being Sportsmaster's daughter was a great twist.

EDIT: I actually don't have Adult Swim where I live. Good, because who the hell thought of putting adult shows on a kids cartoon channel? We have things like Four and Comedy Central for that. If they put the adult stuff on at midnight, that isn't so bad as most kids won't stay up that late. But 9:00PM? Too early, the kids then have to go wander to some other channel. Disney X D is okay, I've always preferred the cartoony Disney channel stuff to the real life ones. I adore Gravity Falls, I just really want Dipper to hurry up and get a love interest his own age. Ren and Stimpy is on Nickelodion at night, so I get to watch that. I miss the old Nick logo, with the orange splatter. I also hate the new font for the nick logo in general. It seems to round and modern, I preferred the straight, slanted look.

Edited by C88

I gotta say, I used to be a huge member of the 'old shows' group. I still like Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, Powerpuff Girls. I absolutely loved Teen Titans--still do, really. But the newest shows on Cartoon Network aren't all that bad.

There was a period of time when I couldn't stand ANY of cartoon network's new shows--Camp Lazlo, Johnny Test, Chowder, Flapjack, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends--yes, I know, everyone else probably loves it, I thought the show was much too hyperactive and every character was incredibly unlikable. Every time I saw the show I wanted to punch Bloo in his loud mouth.

But I feel like those shows have mostly moved on, except for a few persistent stragglers (why the heck is johnny test still airing).

Young Justice was good while it lasted, but all it did was tease my itch to see Teen Titans come back in full force instead of in their watered-down, flanderized 'Go' versions.

I'm not really a fan of Adventure Time or Gumball's (primary) art style, and I straight up cannot stand Clarence--but Steven Universe is absolutely gorgeous and its storylines are great to boot. And even though I don't care for AT's appearance, I really love the surrealist aspect it takes on, and the relationship between the characters. Gumball has so much fun experimenting with different art styles throughout the show, and the energy of the team behind the show really seeps through and makes it more enjoyable. Gravity Falls is just plain great (I know it's not on Cartoon Network, I don't care).

I feel like cartoons are really starting to get better as a new generation of film and animation students step up to the plate and try to leave their mark on television. And a lot of this new generation are the same people who grew up on shows like Dexter's Lab and Powerpuff and so on. I think they're also taking the opportunity to pay homage to the shows they grew up with (how about that Evangelion reference in Steven Universe, anyone?).

On top of that, these new cartoons are taking much bigger strides and bigger risks when it comes to their storytelling and their character development. They are more inclusive and are more willing to push the boundaries when it comes to what people think is 'appropriate' for their kid to learn about (such as lgbt issues). They are treating their audiences with more respect, instead of just trying to keep a kid occupied for a half hour.

So...put me in the new cartoons group now. I still love Teen Titans, but I'd rather watch Gravity Falls over Johnny Bravo any day.

Edited by Jackal

Why is the "old vs new" attitude so prevalent these days?

I'll admit that I haven't watched a lot of older cartoons (I moved to Canada when I was 8). I really enjoy Gravity Falls and Steven Universe and a few other more recently created cartoons, but that has nothing to do with the fact that they're "new". I like them because they don't treat their target audience as incompetent, their plots are well-written and enjoyable, and their art is absolutely gorgeous and I could stare at it all day. If that's the hallmark of recent cartoons, then sure! That just happens to match up pretty well with the kind of thing I like. But if someone recommended to me an older cartoon that matched my tastes, I'd probably give it a try, and if someone recommended me a recent cartoon that was not interesting to me, I wouldn't watch it.

The cartoon industry is "running out of ideas" - yeah, right, because nothing like the cartoons of your youth have EVER been created before, and those were completely original material that didn't draw from things that existed before you were born at all. Cartooning is an industry and it's going to change no matter what you do, and while you're totally entitled to not like the direction it's going in, that doesn't make new cartoons complete drivel that has no place in the universe. Opinions are just that - opinions. Not objective truth. So can people stop insulting other people for their taste in animated children's shows please.

Edited by Fractional Pi Day

I have to prefer to the old cartoons, the new ones seem to have really terrible animation to me, somewhat worse then the older ones. I grew up on the old Pokémon show and continued watching it until Unova where they made Ash revert back until a little kid. He did show signs of growing up in the Sinnoh region, but they ruined his character in Unova