TJ09

2010-12-27 -Tree Decorating Event

Hey what's with the harshness on the picture trees? Obviously people put work into them to make them look that way, just like the people who made traditional trees.

Personally, I love the picture trees because the people actually thought outside the box, rather than doing traditional-style like the majority of other people.

Don't get me wrong, traditional style is alright when done right, but i just haven't seen a traditional one that's impressed me..

I think the Empire managed to attack quite a few trees as I've seen MANY poor dragons and birds looking like they're being strangled by garland and popcorn and beads and lights... tongue.gif

Same o3o

Hey what's with the harshness on the picture trees? Obviously people put work into them to make them look that way, just like the people who made traditional trees.

Personally, I love the picture trees because the people actually thought outside the box, rather than doing traditional-style like the majority of other people.

Don't get me wrong, traditional style is alright when done right, but i just haven't seen a traditional one that's impressed me..

what harshness?

Most of the comments I've seen said they do like traditional more, because it's a christmas theme, but yet they give good points on pictures for the idea and effort.

So it's not harsh at all, just different opinions.

As someone said earlier, it has been a christmas tree decorating contest that ended up, being a sculpture contest for some.

-, really, please ^^"

I myself give them good rankings, if the picture is nicely done and easy to recognize. But my personal opinion is as well traditional is better, because you could actually do them for real.

It's just opinions. Everyone can ask what against cluttered or blue/silver or nearly empty or toppers only trees.

thanks for the help lyricmaniac!!! for some reason, i neglected to look on my scroll, i just thought it would be in the forum!!! like a list!!! rolleyes.gif

I agree. But I have seen picture trees where I didn't see the picture (one of them a dragon with its wings spread open, posted somewhere here in this thresd), so I voted them down. *shrugs* Still, if a picture is well-done and looks pleasing, it gets full marks from me. The umpteenth traditional tree, on the other hand, is just average to my eyes - resulting in 5 points (which pretty much is average).

IMHO If this contest is about creativity, the picture trees should win

I mean, it takes some creativity and time to get a traditional tree to look right and balanced, but it takes much more to get a solid recognizable picture with specific shapes. Though it's all about clarity, balance and composition, and that's the difference between good and great. (IMHO)

Wow, I've been seeing A LOT of trees themed with silver/blue.

My tree doesn't seem that original anymore. D:

But it's a TREE decorating contest..... I do like the stuff to stay mostly on the tree biggrin.gif

IMHO If this contest is about creativity, the picture trees should win

I mean, it takes some creativity and time to get a traditional tree to look right and balanced, but it takes much more to get a solid recognizable picture with specific shapes. Though it's all about clarity, balance and composition, and that's the difference between good and great. (IMHO)

I think someone already pointed this out, but this is also a TREE DECORATING contest, not a "make a picture using the tree like a flat canvas" contest. :/

I've seen a LOT of silver/blue too, I think that's because TJ's ornament is blue & Silver. I personally went with Gold/Red w/ a few accents of silver.

Well, it's kinda obvious that silver-blue is one major theme. The other obvious choices are rainbow, gold/orange/brown, gold/red and gold/silver, probably even gold/silver/red. Because 1) the colors harmonize, and 2) there're enough ornaments in these color to make for a decent tree. *shrugs* Ever tried making a purple/green tree? Or dark blue/red one?

I've seen a LOT of silver/blue too, I think that's because TJ's ornament is blue & Silver. I personally went with Gold/Red w/ a few accents of silver.

I did gold/red too.

Feels more Christmas-y to me than the silver/blue.

Okay, I now officially got a tree again on which I have already voted. I know it, because I gave it a pretty high mark and took a screencap of it as one of my favourites.

I have cleaned my cookies and got a new IP between this round of clicking and the last one (not due to DC) and I'm now getting trees I've already voted on - I've suspected it several times already but just now actually got one I screencapped earlier.

Edit: and two more - I *know* I had them. Didn't screencap them, but I know I had them. *sigh*

Edited by Carthasis

Well, it's kinda obvious that silver-blue is one major theme. The other obvious choices are rainbow, gold/orange/brown, gold/red and gold/silver, probably even gold/silver/red. Because 1) the colors harmonize, and 2) there're enough ornaments in these color to make for a decent tree. *shrugs* Ever tried making a purple/green tree? Or dark blue/red one?

I did want to go with more of a purple/green or purple/blue theme, but there just weren't enough purple ornaments that I liked sad.gif

I think someone already pointed this out, but this is also a TREE DECORATING contest, not a "make a picture using the tree like a flat canvas" contest. :/

Interpretation of 'decorating' is up to the individual.

I just saw a really pretty very simple only silver one.

So?

There's only so much you can do with a tree and a set of ornaments, >> themes will really only stem from use of color and type of ornament. So that's really only about 35 different styles of tree that can be made perfectly. I think it's pretty creative that people can use ornaments to make images, that's a much wider span of projects and much more difficult, again, just IMO

Okay, I have now officially gotten a tree on which I already have voted. I know it, because I gave it a pretty high mark and took a screencap of it as one of my favourites. I have cleaned my cookies and gotten a new IP between this round of clicking and the last one (not due to DC) and I'm now getting trees I've already voted on - I've suspected it several times already but just now actually got one I screencapped earlier.

I've had the same, without emptying my cookies. Expecting it quite a few times, but then I've got one tree two times in a row, which was more than obvious!

Is it a glitch? Because we're supposed to not being possible to rate any tree twice, aren't we?

O.o

I really want to know how many trees there are...

But it's a TREE decorating contest..... I do like the stuff to stay mostly on the tree biggrin.gif

Agreed. Unless theres a good reason as to why the gingerbread man can fly it seems pretty pointless.

What's up with all the empty trees? I actually thought someone might do that as a joke to see how far it would go (or to make it easy to spot and thus score higher by friends); but I've seen maybe 4 or 5 so far while voting and I've only voted about 20-30 times so seems quite a bit of people did it.

There are actually some very good decorate trees and some people came up with some creative ways to combine the decorations so it'll be interesting to see who comes out as the winner.

I have yet to see a really cool tree. I see completely empty trees and completely cluttered trees sad.gif