Khallayne

We want Forum Feedback!

Posting moderation is a consequence of breaking forum rules. Mods are only human and we can't be on at all times. Your posts taking time to get moderated is just a part of the process and the consequences.

If you see a section or global mod on, it's likely they haven't been to the section you're trying to post in or are taking care of other threads/reports there first. Mods do also sometimes miss when posts or threads are waiting for approval.

I'm not sure the time thing can be fixed, either, but TJ would know better than I.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

the problem is, that my posts did not get moderated. they were ignored for 12+ hours and just got moderated because I pushed mods for it when I saw them online.

and that is the thing that needs to be fixed. currently, it could be a 2 day ban or 2 day warn, the difference is only slightly visible unless you push someone to moderate your posts they will just not get done. sad.gif

What needs to get fixed is the warn level that led to the need for moderation. It's basically in your hands; not the mods. They are busy enough.

Warns do go away after you follow the rules for a while. Believe me, I know this. xd.png

Well, 12 hours is a long time, though. And being able to edit your posts kind of defeats the purpose of moderated posting, too. (And even when you're on moderated posting, you can still edit your signature or your user title - if you have level 10.)

What needs to get fixed is the warn level that led to the need for moderation. It's basically in your hands; not the mods. They are busy enough.

I got my warns - I'll sit them out.

It's just that the punishment dealt out is different to the one announced.

Announced: Your posts will be moderated after a while.

Result: Your posts are not published in a timely manner, unless you are either lucky, or bug a moderator about it (which might result in another warn).

As it stands, I'd be better off with a temp ban than moderating, as then I'd know I can't participate - Now, I don't know how or when, which is a lot worse. (Imagine always being late to a discussion for 12 hours ...)

Besides, waiting a day for your post to show up isn't quite that bad.

So, did you not understand that "your posts will be moderated" would mean that an actual, human moderator, with a life outside of DC, would have to moderate your posts?

Give them a break! These aren't robots automatically moderating your posts, these are humans who have other responsibilities outside of DragonCave, and other responsibilities on the forum, *not* just moderating you.

If I was told that a real person would have to look through my post before it's allowed to be posted, I would expect a delay.

As Marie says - "a while" is not within 5 minutes.

Heck - when I get things ordered online, a while (as stated by a seller) can be DAYS.

A delay - yes, sure. Half a day, or longer if you don't go pester a mod that happens to be online - well, not really. And I agree that it would be better to have a day or two of temp ban than a much longer period of pseudo-ban.

A delay - yes, sure. Half a day, or longer if you don't go pester a mod that happens to be online - well, not really. And I agree that it would be better to have a day or two of temp ban than a much longer period of pseudo-ban.

I can see the appeal of a temp ban rather than moderation of posts - but still, we do get ourselves into these situations by our own behaviour.

Why not just stay off forum (ban yourself) till it's over, if it is a problem ?

Post moderation is approved by only mods in the section your posting in, or a Global.

If your post is acceptable it will be allowed.

If we do not have a mod on in the section you wish to post, moderated posts will be delayed.

Request to Redo S/R Commenting Guidelines:

A lot of threads spark a lot of drama or have the same opinions over and over again. Pages full of nothing but "I do/don't support!" or variations on these two. While this is useful for gauging public opinion, it doesn't help the suggestion out at all.

So, here's a compromise for you- a poll with the initial options (stolen from polls thread)...

I love it

I like the idea

The idea is good but could be improved [will post]

Neutral

I don't like the idea but it might be improved [will post]

I dislike this idea

I hate it

...and you can only post if you have constructive feedback/criticism.

This way, people can post why they don't like it or why they do, but won't clutter the thread with unhelpful positive/negative responses. (Their opinion will still be known thanks to the poll.) The modding for this should probably be really lax, unless the mods decide otherwise.

Not every suggestion thread needs a poll, nor would benefit from one.

We have enough posting restrictions, imo, we don't need more. Posting "I really don't like this idea" is a completely legitimate post.

As annoying as endless "+1" or "support" posts can be, without a poll, there is no way to express an opinion - and not every topic in S&R starts out with a poll to vote in.

Second, your suggestion wouldn't work without mods doing a lot of modding, which would feel rather restrictive. The mods have their hands full already, so they really don't need even more to do here. (Plus, people would get really upset to see their posts deleted for something as trivial as lack of proper reasoning behind their opinion, and even more so about receiving warns for that reason.) Last but not least, these forums have enough trouble with coming across as noob-unfriendly and restrictive, and making mods mod even more won't help either of these things in the slightest.

I really don't think you can stifle people's views like that.

And a lot of times you get one person just saying the same thing over and over, as if that is supposed to mean they have to be right, too - and that can include OPs posting - as you put it "the same opinions over and over again".

I think people have to be allowed free rein when discussing any suggestion - even though some threads become a PIA as a result. Sure "I hate it" posts aren't necessarily all that helpful - but to expect the mods to delete every last one of them - just wouldn't be fair..

Edited by fuzzbucket

Request to Redo S/R Commenting Guidelines:

A lot of threads spark a lot of drama or have the same opinions over and over again. Pages full of nothing but "I do/don't support!" or variations on these two. While this is useful for gauging public opinion, it doesn't help the suggestion out at all.

So, here's a compromise for you- a poll with the initial options (stolen from polls thread)...

I love it

I like the idea

The idea is good but could be improved [will post]

Neutral

I don't like the idea but it might be improved [will post]

I dislike this idea

I hate it

...and you can only post if you have constructive feedback/criticism.

This way, people can post why they don't like it or why they do, but won't clutter the thread with unhelpful positive/negative responses. (Their opinion will still be known thanks to the poll.) The modding for this should probably be really lax, unless the mods decide otherwise.

So let me get this straight, you want people to only post constructive criticism to ideas they don't like at all and can't say no and explain why?

I don't see how changing it to that suggestion that it's going to help. People will still post what they feel on it even if it's what people said before. It's allowing them to put their thoughts on it even if it's said before.

For as long as I remember and have been a part of the DC Forum, we have always been notorious as a tough and opinionated crowd. I would like to think that we are just very passionate about the game we invest so much time in. People have various opinions and feelings about certain things/happenings.

When a suggestion or request is brought up, some people may like the idea, some people may not. Whether someone agrees/disagrees with the OP, it is really up to them to decide on how to express that sentiment. Some may just simply post that they like it, some not. Some might want to elaborate on the reasons why and some may choose to to say yes, no, +1 or I don't like it at all.

Why must we dictate that everyone should come up with a detailed explanation and write at length on their opinion. I've been following a few recent heated discussions and there were a select few who are very eloquent in expressing their views and I respect and applaud their contribution. But for the many who simply post in short what their opinion was, that is sufficient for me as well.

I agree with what seems to be popular opinion here. I do not think every thread needs a poll and I certainly don't want to make S/R posting restrictions stricter. I like this being one of the looser areas. These threads aren't some debate thread where 'I do/not like it' doesn't contribute to the topic. I am a big advocate that this is a fun pixel game. Liking or not liking something just because you do is a perfectly valid reason. Not every post needs to go into the detail of why. If a thread isn't getting much concrit, it probably doesn't need it - users haven't (yet, at least) thought of something they'd like to make it better and they don't see a negative that needs to be addressed. :3

I don't think it should be REQUIRED, but I personally feel that having a poll naturally reduces the number of posts that only give opinion without any discussion [the "no, just no" and the "+1" and such posts]. After all, they are posting to make their voice heard and if they have a poll to vote in they are making their voice heard without the need to post. I talk about this in the poll thread where I advocate the use of polls.

It won't reduce the people who are explaining WHY they like/don't like an idea, but those people are contributing to the discussion and so there's no problem.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Post moderation is approved by only mods in the section your posting in, or a Global.

If your post is acceptable it will be allowed.

If we do not have a mod on in the section you wish to post, moderated posts will be delayed.

It has gotten better now, probably due to raised awareness THAT there is someone needing to get their posts moderated.

Thank you to all mods that are now more active in this.

For as long as I remember and have been a part of the DC Forum, we have always been notorious as a tough and opinionated crowd. I would like to think that we are just very passionate about the game we invest so much time in. People have various opinions and feelings about certain things/happenings.

When a suggestion or request is brought up, some people may like the idea, some people may not. Whether someone agrees/disagrees with the OP, it is really up to them to decide on how to express that sentiment. Some may just simply post that they like it, some not. Some might want to elaborate on the reasons why and some may choose to to say yes, no, +1 or I don't like it at all.

Why must we dictate that everyone should come up with a detailed explanation and write at length on their opinion. I've been following a few recent heated discussions and there were a select few who are very eloquent in expressing their views and I respect and applaud their contribution. But for the many who simply post in short what their opinion was, that is sufficient for me as well.

Well said arlymaye.

A members opinion is valid, length is not a requirement. Polls are An option, Polls on some topics are appearing to be necessary after a time, all topics not so much.

It has gotten better now, probably due to raised awareness THAT there is someone needing to get their posts moderated.

Thank you to all mods that are now more active in this.

Not raised awareness at all, more mods are on at certain times. If you post at 2:30am my time, I will not be on. That is just they way things work out, I am happy you are more satisfied, but when on post moderation that means you work around my/our schedule not yours.

~I would have Happily worked this out via pm.~

Edited by _Z_

I agree with what seems to be popular opinion here. I do not think every thread needs a poll and I certainly don't want to make S/R posting restrictions stricter. I like this being one of the looser areas. These threads aren't some debate thread where 'I do/not like it' doesn't contribute to the topic. I am a big advocate that this is a fun pixel game. Liking or not liking something just because you do is a perfectly valid reason. Not every post needs to go into the detail of why. If a thread isn't getting much concrit, it probably doesn't need it - users haven't (yet, at least) thought of something they'd like to make it better and they don't see a negative that needs to be addressed. :3

Totally what I feel. Plus, with me not being a native speaker/writer of English, I can see that as a problem, too. Just think of the people who don't know much English in the first place. Warning them or deleting their posts just because they don't have the ability to put all of their thoughts on the matter into plain English seems rather cruel. (And besides, even if they cannot put things into words in English, they may still have good reasons for their like or dislike of a suggestion.)

Are you kidding me? Now you deleted my post about the 503 errors in this thread, too?

Are you kidding me? Now you deleted my post about the 503 errors in this thread, too?

If you were having an error with the forum, then it could be that that's what caused the post to be deleted, not a mod actually deleting it (if that's what you're saying you think happened). smile.gif I haven't been having any problems with the forum personally, but then I haven't been online the past few days as much as I usually am.

I think perhaps posting about a 503 error isn't quite the same as feedback - which is things we would like to see changed. The (temporary - I got it too) 503 would have been more suited to help, I think ? as a glitch...

I think perhaps posting about a 503 error isn't quite the same as feedback - which is things we would like to see changed. The (temporary - I got it too) 503 would have been more suited to help, I think ? as a glitch...

I saw it before it was deleted, it wasn't complaining about the glitch, it was discussing the stifling of discussion about it(i.e. threads about it being locked quickly and/or deleted).

Edited by Nectaris

I saw it before it was deleted, it wasn't complaining about the glitch, it was discussing the stifling of discussion about it(i.e. threads about it being locked quickly and/or deleted).

Oh - OK - I had no idea there was history....