Renorei

More "Account Settings" Options

I propose two additions to the Account Settings page:

1. Display Username on Egg/Hatchling Info Page (with a little check-box to opt in)

2. Hide Eggs/Hatchlings on Scroll

Here is my reasoning:

So many of us face a dilemma. On the one hand, we'd like to have our scroll name displayed on our dragon's pages, that way if someone is very fond of a particular adult lineaged dragon that we have, they could PM us to ask us to breed them one. I've had people ask me to breed them commons with interesting lineages before, and it's a request that I am always eager to oblige!

Yet on the other hand, sometimes we hunt the AP, and we might catch something that was a trade or gift for someone else. Yet, we caught it fair and square so we have every right to keep it. But we don't want to be getting PMs from people asking to have their dragon back...we want them to post in LiT so that we can choose to contact them if we please. But yet if you have your username visible on your dragon's pages, people might contact you anyway. So for that reason, we might wish not to have our scroll names displayed.

So we are torn...display scroll name or don't display scroll name? Which is why I propose a simple solution...instead of having one option that reads: "Display Username on Dragon Info Page" you would have two options:

"Display Username on Egg/Hatchling Info Page"

"Display Username on Adult Dragon Info Page"

This way, if you wanted people to be able to see who that gorgeous adult white stripe with the epic lineage belonged to, but without anyone being able to see who intercepted their trade on the AP, you could choose the options that suit your needs best. Your scroll name wouldn't appear until the dragon grows up, and at that point there'd be no point to bug you about a lost trade.

If people find this useful, these options could be broken down even further...you could have a menu of little checkboxes for which kinds of dragons you want your username displayed on. Like this:

"Display Username on--"

Eggs/Hatchlings

Frozen Hatchlings

Dead Dragons

Adult Common/Rare Dragons

Adult Holiday Dragons

....So on and so forth. You could have numerous options to adjust your privacy as you like. Maybe you want to display your name on every single dragon you own, except your rare Holly (because you don't want to get requests for Holly eggs). You'd be able to do this!

All of that might be too much extra coding, so it's just a thought, and it's not my main suggestion, so I'd rather we not get bogged down too much in debating it. What I really think we need is just a way to choose not to display our names on egg/hatchling pages, and still be able to display the name on adult pages.

And for my other suggestion. We currently have the means of hiding adult dragons on our scrolls. But sometimes I think it might be more useful to be able to hide the hatchlings and eggs, while keeping the adults visible. Maybe you like to keep the adult dragons on your scroll visible at all times so people can see your pretty dragons, but maybe sometimes you don't want anyone to know what eggs you have. I can imagine that in situations where someone has managed to get an extremely rare egg (Neglected, CB metallic, Holly), they might want to hide their precious baby from other users. Yes, one could simply fog the egg/hatchie in question, but the egg would have to be unfogged to be receiving views in fansites, and plus being able to hide all your eggs/hatchlings means people would definitely not know your "business" but they could still see your adults.

I'm not sure you would be able to use fansites with hidden eggs/hatchlings.

If you put the eggs in the fansites while your eggs/hatchlings aren't hidden, and then hide them once they are in there, you should be able to use fansites without a problem.

As long as this was completely optional and the default was set to "Do not display user name on anything", I don't think I'd have a problem with it. I mean, I wouldn't use it, but if you really want it, I won't stand in your way.

I don't particularly like this. Either you agree to be contacted, or you don't. Making sure you're only contacted for praise (of your beautiful lineages), but not for requests to return a lost trade/gift seems horribly selfish to me.

I like both ideas a lot, especially the hide eggs & hatchlings idea. It seems like an excellent way to help protect those neglected experiments & any other egg or hatchling that you want to do something special with. tongue.gif It would definitely help with keeping people from clicking on eggs or hatchlings when trying to raise them without any clicks at all. tongue.gif Can't see them, can't click on them. biggrin.gif

I don't particularly like this. Either you agree to be contacted, or you don't. Making sure you're only contacted for praise (of your beautiful lineages), but not for requests to return a lost trade/gift seems horribly selfish to me.

Pretty much this. I've been PMed about lost trades before on common eggs, if you think everyone who loses trades is raging about it, well... I've never had anyone flip out at me for having their trade, and I have a policy to just keep it if someone does. I've lost trades before too and I just shrug and move on. Most forumgoers understand the risk of trading and are really good about it. With that in mind, it's wise to remember that the only people who will ever PM you about a lost trade are, by definition, people with forum accounts.

Edited by Lythiaren

Actually, I don't think it's a bad idea to be able to hide eggs but not adults or to be able to have a choice to put your name on your adults or young dragons or both.

However, breaking it down further from that seems unnecessary. :3

Do people really get PMs about eggs they took from the AP? I'm curious because in the over two years I am a member of DC, I got exactly one PM that was not initiated by me, and it was about an egg I released to the AP.

How many PMs do you guys get in lets say a month's time?

Do people really get PMs about eggs they took from the AP? I'm curious because in the over two years I am a member of DC, I got exactly one PM that was not initiated by me, and it was about an egg I released to the AP.

How many PMs do you guys get in lets say a month's time?

I have only gotten one, and it was a person thanking me for putting an egg back that I reflex clicked, but didn't really want anyways.

I think the first suggestion is already in place?

The second one though, I'm not sure about. If your scroll name is hidden then people can't contact you to whine--at least if your scroll name is the same as your forum name.

I am going to dig this thread up and Post my Suggestion in here rather than risk a duplicate.

I would like to see an option on dragon/egg page, perhaps as defined as above... that indicates that user does not wish to be PMed requesting return of AP eggs Caught and/or Breeding Requests.

Not unlike

(Please note that it is against the site rules to give aid to a user without their permission.)

Something similar

Please note that it is against sight rules to PM a user without their permission in regards to returning lost eggs

Just to quote the terms to get what I mean here.

Interactions with other users

All interactions with other users must be willful. Bothering other users to return abandoned eggs or posting the eggs, hatchlings, or adult dragons without a user's permission are prohibited.

This way it is clearer to others that the user is not likely to be receptive to unsolicitated PMs. (Polite or Not, it is still bothering them.)

It appears that having one's name turned off does not help when one forgets to check hide being online in forums and they check your scroll link.

So this option could aid people in learning who they can or cannot pm.

Yes, PM me for Lost in Trades

No, Do not PM me for Lost in Trades

Yes, PM me for Breedings

No, Do not PM me for Breeding

Possible options.

Since such contacts are prohibited by the terms of service, it would seem that a note to TJ would be the easiest solution if you were contacted against your will about a lost egg. I would personally tend to err on the side of letting it slide, but if it really bothers you, you are fully in your rights to quote the letter of the law or apply the letter of the law.

Since these contacts are never allowed by the rules, essentially no one should need the option "Don't contact me about lost eggs."

If TJ ever gets around to implementing Teleport, this will largely become a moot issue, as the AP will cease to be the primary method of trading.

Like Sunraven01 mentioned, the "No Lost Eggs Returned" message would be pointless seeing as how the Teleport method takes the AP trading entirely away.

However, I do agree about Breeding Requests. Especially for those who have Prize Dragons or Hollys.

Edited by MysticTiger

If TJ ever gets around to implementing Teleport, this will largely become a moot issue, as the AP will cease to be the primary method of trading.

It's been four months since he said he would implement it, and since he hasn't said anything regarding its progress since, I have no reason to believe that we are anywhere close to having Teleport. I think we should stop striking down suggestions that will be solved by Teleport, on the off chance that it will be worth TJ's time to code them in the interval between now and whenever he finishes Teleport.

It would be nice, but I don't see a point to having this option on your scroll...you're only going to be contacted if you're on the forums anyway, since there is no on-site messaging system. Seems easier to just put "will not return trades/take breeding requests" in your signature, where everyone who visits your forum profile to PM you should see it.

I support this, for every reason stated in the OP. Brilliant idea.

I, also, don't really see a point. It's basically comparable to posting a warning sign on a road, then posting another one ten feet ahead.

Bothering users about returning eggs is *expressly* forbidden in the TOS. I don't see a reason to have it in the TOS *and* on the dragon-pages. If a user doesn't read or follow the TOS, why on earth would they read/follow a warning on the dragon pages?

Now that lost in trade is not the problem anymore ...

How about adding that option anyway?

Like I imagine this:

- have my growing things visible

- visit ONE fansite and enter my scroll there

- switch my growing things to invisible (but not fogged so that they *can* gain stats)

That way, "helpful" people simply wouldn't be able to add you to all the other fansites which would end up viewbombing your growing things.

Now that lost in trade is not the problem anymore ...

How about adding that option anyway?

Like I imagine this:

- have my growing things visible

- visit ONE fansite and enter my scroll there

- switch my growing things to invisible (but not fogged so that they *can* gain stats)

That way, "helpful" people simply wouldn't be able to add you to all the other fansites which would end up viewbombing your growing things.

Isn't it against the rules to aid users without their permission anyway?

Isn't it against the rules to aid users without their permission anyway?

Yes - but how exactly can that be enforced ? (And loads of people add whole scrolls without looking at an individual egg/hatchie page, and if you do that, you can't even SEE that no aid is what the scroll asks for.)