Ha-Ki

Breed filter for scroll

Hi there,

I'm not aware that this has already been suggested, if it has, please point me there smile.gif

So we have this incredibly useful fertility filter, where you can type the name, code or breed name of a dragon (or a part of any of these), and it will filter all breedable dragons that match the input.

I think it would be awesome if we could do the same with our scrolls. As a scroll filter, it would obviously not only show breedable dragons, but also unbreedables, frozen hatchies and growing things. And they would have to be clickable, so we can click the dragon we were looking for.

Apart from small changes, I think it wouldn't be too hard to implement, since we already have a similar thing. And it would be extremely useful smile.gif

Pro's:

- makes finding certain dragons easier

Con's:

- I think some users have problems with the fertility filter, so this one obviously wouldn't work for everyone either, if it's based on the fertility filter

Edited by Ha-Ki

Sort by breed works pretty well....

Sort by breed works pretty well....

Sort by breed works, but you still have to click through several pages to get to the breed you're looking for. I even have my scroll permanently sorted that way, but I usually don't remember where to find which breed. Rough guess is easy, but I often end up on the wrong page. Plus, it shifts permanently as the scroll is growing. So I thought the filter we have for fertility would be awesome if it could be used for searching in our scrolls smile.gif

And we don't even have a sorting option by code. Searching for a name or code is really easy with the fertility filter - type a couple of letters, and you're down to a handful of dragons.

So really what you're asking for is a search feature on your scroll, not a simple filter (terminology can get confusing because we have temp sort and temp filter options already on our scrolls)?

Well, that input field in the Fertility dragon listing is labelled "Filter dragons:" and technically, it still would be a filter on the scroll as well, just more flexible than it is now.

And I would love it - as long as it doesn't give performance issues like old Mr. Flappy.

Sorry if that wasn't clear (I'm not a native English speaker) - you know that search/filter/whatever thing that comes up when you use fertility, and it loads all your breedable dragons you might want to use fertility on? You can type a name, or a code, or even a breed name in the text field, and it filters for all dragons that match the input. E.g. if you type "red", it loads all dragons that have "red" as a part of their name or code, and all red dragons.

Since that's an extremely useful tool and it's already implemented, I thought it would be awesome if we could use it not just for fertility, but also as a search/filter/whatever tool for our scrolls.

Edit: ninja.gif 'd - yay, Ruby Eyes understood what I meant biggrin.gif

Edited by Ha-Ki

Actually I think I'd quite like this!

Right now, I have 15 pages of dragons at 500 dragons per page. Yep, a big scroll. The number of dragons in each breed ranges from 19 to 150. And even using the Breed sort on the front page, it usually takes going through multiple pages to find the breed I want.... assuming I remembered the name it sorts under (Black Capped Teimarr sort under Teimarr, Shallow Waters sort under "Goldfish", Nhiostrife sort under "Twister", Desipis under "Halloween" like all other Holidays, Waters are under "L" for I think Lugia, Avatars are with Guardians of Nature, Storms (aka Fog or Grey) are under Fog, .... I can go on and on and on).

Essentially, first I have to find where I think it should be, sort wise, which requires hunting through 2 or 3 pages, probably. I have a LOT of dragons and get more at a quick pace, so they shift the pages they are on. Then, if (as happens quite often) I didn't remember the place it sorts correctly, *then* I have to wrack my brain for where it might sort, then go find that place, and often times two more places to boot!

So while "sort by breed" is useful, there are many, many times when it.... fails, due to the eccentricities of it. Being able to filter just like Fert does would be incredible.

Cheers!

C4.

Honestly I'd really love to see the fertility filter as an optional way to filter through breeding pages.

(By the by, fertility should probably have a non fancy filter option too, for those it gives trouble to)

Honestly I'd really love to see the fertility filter as an optional way to filter through breeding pages.

(By the by, fertility should probably have a non fancy filter option too, for those it gives trouble to)

One has begged MANY TIMES for a non-javascript version of that...

I would totally support this thing.... But it'll give a lot of users the same problems the Fertility filter does, right? I'd support this suggestion a lot more if the Fertility filter didn't already send plenty of users an indefinite Mr. Flappy.

I'd still prefer either tags or tabs.

Even simple automated tags (breed, bred/CB, regular dragon/drake/pygmy/two-headed, halloween/valentine/winter holiday, male/female/hatchling) would help a lot if we could filter them - ideally without JavaScript. Personally, I hate what JavaScript does to the site, as many actions become much more unwieldy.

(Example: I want to abandon an egg. Without JS: Click abandon. Password is entered via auto-fill function, so I only need to click abandon again to verify that I really want to abandon the egg, and the egg is gone.

With JS: Click abandon. Click the field where the password is entered, thanks to auto-fill. (If I forget that step, I need to enter the password manually.) Click abandon to verify that I really want to abandon the egg. There's a pop-up now. I need to click something again to verify (again...) that I really, really want to abandon the egg...

@TJ: Yes, there's something called overkill. xd.png)

Edited by olympe

Well, that input field in the Fertility dragon listing is labelled "Filter dragons:" and technically, it still would be a filter on the scroll as well, just more flexible than it is now.

And I would love it - as long as it doesn't give performance issues like old Mr. Flappy.

I'm aware, but as fertility filter is different from scroll filter, I was just trying to make sure I understood the suggestion. ;3

Sorry if that wasn't clear (I'm not a native English speaker) - you know that search/filter/whatever thing that comes up when you use fertility, and it loads all your breedable dragons you might want to use fertility on? You can type a name, or a code, or even a breed name in the text field, and it filters for all dragons that match the input. E.g. if you type "red", it loads all dragons that have "red" as a part of their name or code, and all red dragons.

Since that's an extremely useful tool and it's already implemented, I thought it would be awesome if we could use it not just for fertility, but also as a search/filter/whatever tool for our scrolls.

Edit:  ninja.gif 'd - yay, Ruby Eyes understood what I meant  biggrin.gif

No, I was just double checking. Thanks!

I'm conflicted. It is an extremely useful tool. However, I'm not sure how much I'd use it on the scroll itself. I name dragons that I'm going to want to find again, so mostly I just use /view/n/ to find dragons quickly on my scroll and that's mostly for the purposes of just breeding to the AP. If it was added to the scroll, though, I can see myself using it more and more.

I'll go ahead and throw my support out for this.

I could see this being useful. But it would have to be a separate page that people specifically go to, so that people who can't seem to use that feature don't have to deal with it. Maybe add a "search" to the "filter by" dropdown?

Big yes. A search feature on scroll page is awsome as it will help us to search others dragons for mates seeking and so on. But I'm worry about the lag. For fertility page, all our dragons will be shown(as I remember) like the breeding page, and it takes my laptop a long time to do that every time I try.