Shadlok

Multiple PM recipients

Would you like the option of multiple PM recipients?  

159 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sometimes if you are sending the same PM to multiple people to remind them of something, (maybe that a game they have signed up to is about to start, or to ask if they want to stay active in a role play, or any other number of things you could want to ask/inform multiple people of,) it would be so much more convenient to be able to send the message to multiple people. You can do this by maybe seperating their names with a comma or something.

If this is already possible but I have overlooked it or just been oblivious, then I am sorry for wasting people's time. If not, I think maybe it could be addressed? :3

Edited by Angel of the Inferno

Sometimes if you are sending the same PM to multiple people to remind them of something, (maybe that a game they have signed up to is about to start, or to ask if they want to stay active in a role play, or any other number of things you could want to ask/inform multiple people of,) it would be so much more convenient to be able to send the message to multiple people. You can do this by maybe seperating their names with a comma or something.

If this is already possible but I have overlooked it or just been oblivious, then I am sorry for wasting people's time. If not, I think maybe it could be addressed? :3

It's not available as far as I know. I would like it too, but for now I have been using copy and paste dry.gif

edit: my laptop cannot spell

Edited by dragonpuck

I would love to have this option, too, but I think it has been shot down before as making spamming too easy. It sure would make it easier when you are trying to communicate with all members of a group or lineage!

I would love to have this option, too, but I think it has been shot down before as making spamming too easy. It sure would make it easier when you are trying to communicate with all members of a group or lineage!

Yeah, that's another example of what good this could do. I know it would make spamming easier, but really...I think that the positives far outweight the negatives. I hope TJ considers this. Sometimes there can be over a hundred people in a project! That's very time consuming to send the same PM to all of them, and not everyone has very much time on their hands. sad.gif

Edited by Angel of the Inferno

Had this forum been smaller I would've just said to use copy and paste, but knowing how big some groups can get, I think this is a great idea.

Copypasta is fine for when you only have to send the same message to maybe two or three people, but as groups get larger it gets unwieldy and increasingly cumbersome to go that route. Multiple PMs would be extremely useful to people who need to send out a newsletter of sorts or mass reminders, so... why not? We know it can be done, many forum systems use it already.

I know this has been suggested before but I either can't find it or the topic's not around any more.

Yes, I do believe there wasn't much support for it because it made spamming too easy.

However, if a spammer's gonna spam, and spammer's gonna spam. I don't see why non-spamming members should be punished for spammer's who are going to spam no matter what. And I can't remember the last time we had a mass PM spammer. T'was a long time ago. And, of course, if it does invite more spammers, it can always be reverted back.

Keep in mind, though, that even being able to send to multiple people at once will probably still hold a limit. I have the ability to send PMs to multiple people and there is a limit of how many in place for me. :3

Limits are reasonable. Would it be possible to make it so that the mods could revoke mass-PMing for one member only, should they spam? 'stead of reverting everything in case of mass spam.

That would be nice, but I'm not sure the PM function really works like the rest of the forum.

There is no that TJ has seen yet to be able to have a report button for PMs, for example, so revoking that privilege for one member might not be possible either. Definitely a good idea if possible, though. :3

Yeah, it's just that today, I had to send out pms to quite a few members and it was a long pm so not easy to re-write if lost. I think it would just make it much simpler really. xd.png At least the idea isn't just getting hate. :3

Would a reasonable limit be maybe...6-8?

I would very much like this. I'm a Team Captain for the EPIC Project, and send out PMs to teammates on a fairly regular basis... even though that's only 3 people at a time, as opposed to the hundreds mentioned, the copypasta is still a bit irksome, especially when the forum is 500ing all over the place.

I would really like this if it was possible. I wouldn't need it very often but it would help in some instances.

Copy & paste is a route that works, but if you use this, you'll still have to work around flood control. *grumbles* I honestly hate flood control for PMing and the search function. *grumbles some more*

What about if the official organization accounts have this ability, but not individual users? E.g, The Giving Tree would be able to send to multiple accounts, but I could not. That would make it easier for organizations/official lineages/etc. but reduce the risk of spam. Just a thought. happy.gif

Either way, I think this would be a great idea. Spammers will spam regardless of whether this is an option or not. Might as well make life easy for the rest of us!

Edit for punctuation fail.

Edited by Danne

I considered that myself Danne, however...that wont help people who are sending out mutilple PMs because they are trying to alert people to games starting and those who want to let people know about role plays.

Yeah, I know, it's not a complete solution. But people seem worried about spammers, and it's at least better than the current system, so I figured I'd suggest it.

Personally, I don't see why everyone can't have it. As has already been stated, spammers will do whatever they want -- might as well make life easy for the rest of us, yes?

I love this suggestion. I needed it for my Halloween list for pumpkins... so I had to do each PM individually. Copy and paste only saves a little amount of time.

What about if the official organization accounts have this ability, but not individual users?

That's how it works already, actually, though it was a fairly recent change. Group accounts can PM 5(?) users at a time. The problem, though, is that many groups don't have a group account. And then there are the individual users who have massive breeding lists, or run a roleplay, or any of the other situations already mentioned...

I can understand the spamming argument, but I also think, overall, it would be far more beneficial than detrimental to have such a feature. If a select few people abuse it, they can be dealt with individually, with far less hassle than dozens and dozens of people sending out hundreds of repetitive PMs.

That's how it works already, actually, though it was a fairly recent change. Group accounts can PM 5(?) users at a time. The problem, though, is that many groups don't have a group account. And then there are the individual users who have massive breeding lists, or run a roleplay, or any of the other situations already mentioned...

Ah. See, they're one step ahead of me. tongue.gif

And yes, I agree that the potential benefits outweigh the potential for spammers to abuse it.

This sounds very useful to me; about potential spamming though...how about users who abuse it get the privilege removed?

I'd love to have this ^^

This sounds very useful to me; about potential spamming though...how about users who abuse it get the privilege removed?

I'd love to have this ^^

That would be nice, but I'm not sure the PM function really works like the rest of the forum.

There is no that TJ has seen yet to be able to have a report button for PMs, for example, so revoking that privilege for one member might not be possible either. Definitely a good idea if possible, though. :3

If possible, I would like that option, but not sure it will be possible. :3

Heck. Yes. Even if someone does decide to spam, it's easy enough to warn people through PM to block them themselves if there's no way to block a specific person from having the mass-PM option.

Yeah Mando. That is true, however, a warn is hardly anything. so what if you get a little 10% added to your warn bar. It doesn't really punish people very much. A mass spammer wouldn't really see a warn as a punishment.

I am playing Devil's Advocate, why?!

Meh.

I should add a poll or something. See how many are in favour and how many are opposed. Seemingly, there is only positive feedback for this idea currently. *Tempts fate.*

/shot

We REALLY need this. Why? Let's see. Lineages, contests, other events such as the DC newspaper. For roleplayers, too, to remind them they're inactive or an important event has happened during their absence or something.

If a spammer takes advantage of this feature, well, they're going to spam. Instead of giving a warn, give them a 1-week ban or something or add a PM-disabled group like what forums did back then. Give all features a regular member has except for PMing.