Powered by Invision Power Board

Welcome Guest, Please Read This.
! Welcome to the Dragon Cave Forums! If you aren't sure what to do, here are a list of recommended locations:

Board Rules
Frequently Asked Questions
Edit Your Profile
Search the Forum

Also, please make sure you read the pinned topics in each forum before posting there, as they contain important information. In addition, if you are signed up on the Dragon Cave, please make your account ID (At the end of your scroll link) visible, either in your profile or your signature.

This box will go away on its own once you reach 10 posts.

Pages: (3) 1 2 [3]  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topic

> Are you sure? Breeding., For those really horrible misclicks.
angelicdragonpuppy
Posted: Apr 13 2012, 09:40 PM
Quote Post

THEN WHO WAS PHONE?!?

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,560

QUOTE (saffy2yrs @ Apr 13 2012, 09:31 PM)
Why not just name the dragons? I have whatever their name is with CB after it, or 2G or 3G, then I know if I am breeding this CB, I can choose another CB, or continue a stair or whatever...if you don't want CB in your names, do complementary names or words or something.

I absolutely hate having to put markers in the names themselves, or having to stuff even just an extra "complementary" name or whatever on to the end. I find simple, majestic names a lot nicer than ones with a lot of clutter in them, whether they be my own dragons or ones I'm trading for. Nothing ruins a sick name like "Marrow" or "Silimander" or whatever the case may be like having someone tack on a goofy CB tag behind it. :'c

PMEmail Poster
saffy2yrs
Posted: Apr 13 2012, 10:00 PM
Quote Post

Level 5

Member No.: 28,990

QUOTE (angelicdragonpuppy @ Apr 13 2012, 06:40 PM)
or having to stuff even just an extra "complementary" name or whatever on to the end.

I was thinking more like naming one salt, and one pepper, or anything that goes well in pairs. Left and right, Anti and social, so on and so forth.
PMEmail PosterMSN
BlazingPhoenix
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 12:17 AM
Quote Post

Level 7

Member No.: 188,909

Please add this! I misclick stuff all the time, I don't want it happening for breeding!

This post has been edited by BlazingPhoenix on Apr 14 2012, 12:17 AM
PM
Snowytoshi
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 05:33 AM
Quote Post

IOUs Accepted and Encouraged

Member No.: 185,593

QUOTE (Sorrowgrave @ Apr 13 2012, 09:42 PM)
dido on the if it's default off.

I only check my scroll once a week for GoN tries (this one worked woo!)
And snagging pygmies (neglected to grab any when they released)

The time for a misbreed doesn't do much.

and if it bothers you THAT much,
just hide it until it dies. Do a custom sort order that places the egg at the very back of your scroll and forget about it.

It's not the egg that bothers me, I can abandon it if I don't want it. The part that annoys me is having finally found the perfect mate, finished the cool-down from last week, and then clicking on a 4G geode instead of the 2G golden wvyren. And if you don't want to enter your password in, what if it was like the description rating pop-up? A little bubble pops up you click yes or no and you're done. It might not be as effective as the password, but it may be a good middle-ground.

EDIT: Typos much?

This post has been edited by Snowytoshi on Apr 14 2012, 05:35 AM
PMEmail Poster
perzephone
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 08:24 PM
Quote Post

Level 5

Member No.: 9,588

Yes, I am one of the anti-nanny-state folks.

The only way I support yet more confirmation pop-ups is if I have the option of turning it off.

I'd love to have the option of turning off ALL the confirmations - entering passwords, retyping action names, incessant click this, click that.

It's one of the most annoying thing about Windows (especially when you've got the option to restore things from your Recycle Bin) and programs that take after Windows.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQAOLYahooMSN
Lythiaren
Posted: Apr 15 2012, 03:57 AM
Quote Post

Has a magical hand that SHOOTS BEES.

Member No.: 2,756

QUOTE (olympe @ Apr 12 2012, 02:30 PM)
How about this as a compromise: When choosing a dragon as a mate for your breeding attempt, you have two options now: breed and preview progeny lineage. If you choose preview progeny lineage, you can then either choose to proceed with breeding or to choose a different mate or - if TJ is so inclined to code it, to abort breeding.

This would not give you any warning about inbreeding unless you check for it manually - which, in many cases, will be easy to spot as you'd be about to breed closely related dragons or dragons that are inbred in the first place. (It's obviously your own responsibility to somehow mark your inbreds, or know their names by heart or whatever.) It would also help with accidentally clicking the terribly inbred 25th gen black instead of the CB black you wanted to mate your (holiday?) dragon to. However, it does not imply that inbreeding is wrong. If you want to create a beautiful inbred lineage, and you use the preview feature, you'll just see your beautiful inbred lineage as some sort of confirmation that you got the correct mate.

^ This is a good suggestion.

I very strongly disagree on the thread suggestion, however. This amount of padding and precautionary hubbub is not only unnecessary but also extremely cumbersome and adds bandwidth to one of the most-used functions of the entire game. No, I don't even want the option to turn it on and off. I don't want it period. Too many on/off switches is itself a major problem. It leads to decision fatigue, which is Very Bad. Too much choice and people tend to go NOPE and leave everything on default. And then they have trouble finding the option to turn off something they run into later that they happen to hate, because the settings screen is a wall of text.

If you breed the wrong pair by mistake and they pop an unwanted egg, kill it and take your 24-hour penalty, 7-day cooldowns and fortnight of shell shame like a responsible adult. You made the mistake. You have to take the consequences. This isn't like when we had multiclutches and a misclick could have netted you something you couldn't even negate by killing.

Honestly if I was the admin I wouldn't have implemented confirmation screens at all. Users are people capable of independent thought, they don't need to have their hands held like sheltered infants. When it comes to games there's nothing I hate more than having the game itself treat me like I'm stupid.

I hate excessive handholding more than I hate Zubats.

This post has been edited by Lythiaren on Apr 15 2012, 06:07 AM
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
Fengari
Posted: Apr 15 2012, 02:32 PM
Quote Post

Level 7

Member No.: 68,256

I'm also not a fan of having to confirm every action. I find that if I have to confirm a lot, confirming itself becomes an automatic action, which means it's worth nothing because if I misclicked I will most likely confirm anyway because it's not something I think about anymore.

I do like Olympe's suggestion, though. By having the two options there it means people who don't want extra clicks can still perform the action just like they used to and people who feel the need for some confirmation can go to the preview first to make sure if what they are going to do is actually what they intended to do, with the added bonus of being a nice tool to look at what the offspring's lineage is going to look like (for whatever reason).
PM
TaiomiFox
Posted: Apr 15 2012, 02:37 PM
Quote Post

Level 4

Member No.: 77,581

Absolute no.
Keeping track and monitoring your dragons' family trees is part of the game, and making it "easier" is just ruining the game ._.
No, no no no, NO, no no, NO NO NO.
No.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Anquatic
Posted: Apr 15 2012, 04:37 PM
Quote Post

Level 5

Member No.: 44,021

Yes, please. It would be helpful. xd.png
Aurora-Silver
Posted: Apr 16 2012, 08:07 AM
Quote Post

Level 9

Member No.: 63,965

I'm actually glad that breeding does NOT have to be verified by password. I find it annoying to type always your password in.

No for me.
PMUsers Website
olympe
Posted: Apr 16 2012, 08:56 AM
Quote Post

IOU Trader

Member No.: 49,835

What about my alternate suggestion, that you can either hit "breed" or "lineage preview"? It doesn't change anything for you if you simply hit breed, but you can opt in to get a lineage preview on a case by case basis.
PMEmail Poster
Akrona
Posted: Apr 16 2012, 09:07 AM
Quote Post

Level 9

Member No.: 4,664

QUOTE (olympe @ Apr 16 2012, 08:56 AM)
What about my alternate suggestion, that you can either hit "breed" or "lineage preview"? It doesn't change anything for you if you simply hit breed, but you can opt in to get a lineage preview on a case by case basis.

i like this suggestion a lot, personally
arlymaye
Posted: Apr 16 2012, 09:21 AM
Quote Post

CATNIP - The LEGAL High! I take CATNIP I.O.U =^.^=

Member No.: 16,528

QUOTE (olympe @ Apr 16 2012, 09:56 AM)

+100000000

Lineage preview is an awesome suggestion and I would support this wholeheartedly. Even a seasoned veteran like me sometimes mistakenly bred the wrong dragon. I just did infact, bred a pretty stairstep silver to an evengen mate. sad.gif Worse, I got a silver. LOL.. No matter how careful one is, mishaps happens so a lineage preview would be godsend. A very much needed addition to this site.

As for the turn on/off breed option, I would rather not have to deal with more prompts and I would hit myself if I bred wrongly and said *Now, why didn't I turn on that damn yes/no breed action!!* See, guilt breeds more guilt!
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN
fuzzbucket
Posted: Apr 16 2012, 11:07 AM
Quote Post

Last time I looked, I wasn't here.

Member No.: 55,386

QUOTE (olympe @ Apr 16 2012, 01:56 PM)

Excellent compromise smile.gif

For people like me, it would immediately say "Oops, you hit breed when you meant to hit name..." xd.png
PMEmail Poster
SockPuppet Strangler
Posted: Apr 16 2012, 12:29 PM
Quote Post

Wednesday has been canceled due to a scheduling potato.

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 7,406

PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (3) 1 2 [3]  Reply to this topicStart new topic