tweet: “Casual Friday at #Mythbusters means Mongolian lamellar armor.”

user posted image

Edited by RheaZen

That is fantastic. I love things like that. Reminds me of when I was in Physics club and the physics open houses we would have, except we had more freezing things in liquid Nitrogen as opposed to melting things in water. smile.gif *passes it along to my old physics professor*

edit: silly typos

Edited by orderedchaos

Don't know if this has been posted yet.

Edited by lightbird

Don't know if this has been posted yet.

Amerylis showed me that a couple of weeks back - it's doing the rounds in the Sciences Dept here.

Gene therapy produces HIV-resistant T-cells.

In the study, six men with HIV had their blood filtered to remove a small percentage of their T-cells. The gene-snipping compound was added in the lab, and about one-fourth of the cells were successfully modified. The cells were mixed with growth factors to make them multiply and then infused back into the patients.

Three men received about 2.5 billion modified cells. Three others received about 5 billion.

Three months later, five men had three times the number of modified cells expected. As much as 6 percent of their total T-cells appear to be the new type — resistant to HIV, Lalezari said.

Pretty awesome man. /understatement of the year

Edited by AngelKitty

I am now officially hunting for Carl Sagan's Cosmos. I found Stephen Hawkings Universe series....

I am now officially hunting for Carl Sagan's Cosmos. I found Stephen Hawkings Universe series....

If you have Netflix, I know it's on there (and they even have it for streaming!) Otherwise, I don't know.

This one is my favorite! biggrin.gif

"A Glorious Dawn" is great, but I think my favorite is "The Case for Mars".

As a side note, why do almost all scientists have really nice speaking voices? (Every one I've ever heard, with the exception of Stephen Hawking, but that's not his real voice.)

You monster. :|

But yay, space beer biggrin.gif Only a few more decades until wacky drunken antics... IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Hoax, surely.

*gets into TARDIS and goes have a look*

Well, it was on the cover of the Science magazine we got yesterday.

Great, now we'll have Piloting Under the Influence.

Signs of 'alien life' found in meteorites

It has yet to be peer reviewed and was published in an "online" paper so yeah I'll wait awhile for it to be proofed before I make a judgement.

I think it is very narrow minded to believe earth harbours the only examples of life in the universe. As to whether this is the proof or not? I can only await further peer review.

+1

:< You're still hating on them, Rhea? They're trolls; they don't deserve to be hated. Not because, you know, they're good or anything, but because it's like hating on a mosquito (no insult to mosquitoes intended). There's just no point.

Also, there's like only 100 of them (in 2007, there were 71). In a world fast approaching 7 billion humans, let alone everything else. And it is a world that is filled with bizarre and beautiful and wonderful things. Don't waste it by hating.

/peprant

Aww. :< I was sort of hoping that was true, just because, well, damn cool idea if nothing else. Also patently ridiculous pulp-scifi, but still.

I can easily hate 100 of my students.

We are now one step closer to the robot apocalypse.

Actually, I think more than one.

It's major-league cool, but kinda scary at the same time.