We are now one step closer to the robot apocalypse.

Actually, I think more than one.

It's major-league cool, but kinda scary at the same time.

What.

Cool idea, horrid implications.

And of course I'm still hating on them, Kazeko. Anything less is just... well, ambivalence towards them certainly isn't any better.

Also, there's like only 100 of them

Yes, but if one of my family members had fallen in Iraq or Afghanistan, and they showed up at the funeral, it wouldn't matter how few of them there were.

They are not the problem, so much as the lack of adequate laws to protect the ability of people at a funeral to to pay their respects in peace - to which they have called attention.

Nah, I'm not saying what they're doing isn't harmful, or disgusting and wrong.

I'm just saying, there are so few of them--and they're not exactly getting any more members--and they're almost all just this one guy's family--they're not worth worrying about. They're bugs. Cockroaches, if you like, but I kind of like cockroaches, so I won't make the comparison--but nonetheless, they're pests. Botflies, maybe. They're certainly disgusting enough. They're not worth hating. We could, maybe, try to smack them, but unfortunately there are laws about that, and most of the time they're good laws. It's just that they protect these kinds of trolls, as well as normal decent people.

If they were on the internet, they'd be ignored (and probably banned from everywhere but 4chan); they're just trolls, and nothing more. They're not on the internet, probably because none of them knows two shits about computers, but there's no reason they shouldn't receive the same treatment in real life. The more attention they get, the more you feed the trolling.

They can't be taken seriously. That just encourages them, and besides, the stuff they say makes no ****ing sense. I don't know if they genuinely believe what they say, or if they're mask-trolling, but anyone who goes bashing "Fag Jew Nazis (they're worse than regular Nazis)" just... can't be taken seriously. I mean, that's like bashing ninja pirate bears (they're worse than regular bears). Not only do they not exist, the idea is so patently ridiculous it's just... I mean, really?

*gasp*

this might not sound big but it could reveal so much about Mercury!

We now have the first space probe orbiting Mercury!

sorry if this doesn't belong here

sorry if this doesn't belong here

I'm sure it does.

I am hoping that one of these days they'll put a space probe in permanent orbit around Jupiter. Every now and then, something from the asteroid belt hits Jupiter - when Shoemaker-Levy 9 hit Jupiter, it was on the side away from the Earth, so we didn't learn as much from the collision about Jupiter's atmosphere as we might have.

But since then, there have been other smaller impacts.

Of course, an ambitious mission involving sending something down into Jupiter's atmosphere might also be possible if an orbiting vehicle is.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/03/...ls/ratliff-text

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enrLSfxTqZ0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDb27ZP9zEE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domesticated_silver_fox

http://www.sibfox.com/media/ I've been told this site may be a hoax, but I don't really trust the place I saw that--I wouldn't trust the site just to be on the safe side.

I want one so badly. It'd probably be really expensive, though. And I'm off to college in a few years. And it might eat my birds. But I can still dream!

So it turns out that tameness has a phenotype. What I'm wondering is, when will we start genetically modifying normally untamable animals into domestic subspecies? What will that mean for the wild species? It seems like it could work really well. In places with tigers or lions, for example, where the farmers are killing off the cats to protect their livestock--what better way to keep away the big predators than with a domesticated lion or tiger?

Security would get ten times scarier, that's for sure.

Apparently, National Geographic also thinks that elephants have never been domesticated. o_0

From that national geographic article-- "Wildcats are the only animals known to have domesticated themselves." Sounds pretty catlike to me.

Pretty sure they're for real, Kaz - saw a video on them/domestication in bio. Didn't know they were still breeding them. Interesting.

Well, I know the foxes are real. I don't know if that particular site is legit.

I'm aiming to be a PhD astrophysicist.

I watch Science channel in my free time and theorize about black holes.

I'll post that when it's not 1:30 in the morning.

I fail at science. I don't understand anything bout what scientists say. I failed every science test in my school. My teacher yells at me everyday. When i dissect something, I end up cutting it into little pieces. I don't know how to combine chemistry stuff. Therefore, I don't give a crap bout science.

Jk i like science smile.gif

I like biology in that animal behavior fascinates me. Beyond that I don't understand nor do I care about the other stuff. It all just kind of goes over my head.

I like biology in that animal behavior fascinates me. Beyond that I don't understand nor do I care about the other stuff. It all just kind of goes over my head.

You should work at the zoo.

What have we created?!

Also, pretty picture:

user posted image

Edited by RheaZen

OHMYGODTHOSEROBOTSARECOOL.

Ah, if we had one, our robotics team would own x3 actually probably not, they'd be hugely hard to control.

But wait till they download, say, Watson into one of those things. I'm betting that by 2100, we have androids integrated into society. Probably by 2200, we have android civil rights movement.

Science is good but i don't believe in it.

I'm sorry, but what? How do you not "believe" in science? Science studies reality. Unless something is proven to be wrong (which it often is, through science), then it's most likely true.

Honestly I worry about robotics. Not necessarily in the "oh-mah-goodness! Robots-is-takin-over-teh-worldz!!!!!!" type way, but as far as the job industry. With companies using robotics because they do the same job more consistently, and in many cases better than a human, plus they don't have to pay a robot.Honestly, as far as jobs, maybe not in the near future, but I can see in the future the large majority of people not being able to find any work at all because of robots.