undertow

One-Time Solution for Breeding Control

Do you want to customize your breeding list?  

486 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If you vote 'no' or 'with changes,' please post why.

There was a thread for this once, but after searching for a few days (not solid, no) I haven't been able to find it.

The suggestion is this, and it's aim is to solve ALL of the requests people have for control over what dragons show up for breeding.

A feature that allows the user to select a dragon, view the list of possible mates for that dragon, and add or remove dragons from that list. Dolphinsong suggested that when dragon A removes dragon B from its breeding list, that dragon A is automatically removed from dragon B's breeding list as well. This would make things quicker and easier.

This would also be reversible. Editing the breeding list would be no more permanent than editing your scroll order.

This feature will allow for:

'life-mates'

'inbreeding control' (either for preventing or intentional inbreeding, whatever the user's preference is.'

'Purebred breeding'

'Lineage projects'

Any other kind of breeding pattern or control any user wants to implement.

It has the advantage of being a fully customizable feature that can help a wide range of users with a wide range of tasks.

The only possible disadvantages that I can see are these: I don't know how difficult it would be to implement.

For people with large scrolls it would take a bit of time at first to organize breeding lists.

On the whole, I think it would be worthwhile.

Comments? Opinions? If you vote for 'with some changes it would be good' then please post what changes you think it needs.

Edited by undertow

Yes! I hate to admit it...but I just bred all my common pairs and silver pairs that I'm no longer interested in breeding to keep to get them off the breeding page for a week...I have well over 200 dragons. Now that scrolls are getting longer, I think that we need some changes like this.

I recently 'released' about half of my dragons because I was sick of scrolling through so many to find the ones I wanted to breed. Not that that is such a bad thing, but what is suggested above would be a great relief to a lot of people.

Edited by undertow

I breed my dragons only within the clans that they belong to, and even just one dragon within that clan. My "feral" dragons can breed with whoever they want to. Sometimes it's hard for me to keep track of which dragons belong to which clans, so this would be neat.

I am a bit confused as to why a few people have voted that it would be good with changes and then haven't suggested what needs to be changed. unsure.gif

Edited by undertow

The change I could see is say, on my gold I removed all the dragons but the one I wish it to mate with. Yet if I go to one of the dragons that I removed from its list, the gold would appear there. The change is this, if a dragon was removed from one of the breed lists, the dragons it was removed from does not appear in ITS list

Basically, I always breed my white with my male silver. After clearing out the breeding list of my white so only the male silver appears, the white will not appear on the lists of the ones I had removed. That is the change I see needed

Edited by Dolphinsong

Go ahead and add it =) It will make list edits a lot (two words, not one) faster if one only needs to do say, the females as it would auto edit the males as you go

I think this idea, although honestly, I dont understand why people would release their dragons. There is always the search function you can use...

It would also allow people to remove refusers from each others' lists, which would be my use for it.

This. Definitely.

I'd also use it to prevent inbreeding, and to select permanent mates for most of my silvers. I'm also working on a couple of lineage projects, and this would help in keeping "who's mated to whom" straight. Besides, anything that keeps me from having to scroll through 50+ dragons is a good thing.

I think this would be a great thing. I do have a question though, which is why I voted "great with changes." What happens if I've sorted out my dragons, but then for some reason want to edit a dragon's choices? Are you thinking there would be an option to edit the selection, and possibly put back a dragon that was previously disallowed? If that were possible then I'd be 100% in favor of this.

Ugh, this is a fantastic idea. It would save me a lot of time trying to find the mates for my silvers and golds when I feel like breeding them. sleep.gif; It's the only reason I don't breed more often.

I think this would be a great thing. I do have a question though, which is why I voted "great with changes." What happens if I've sorted out my dragons, but then for some reason want to edit a dragon's choices? Are you thinking there would be an option to edit the selection, and possibly put back a dragon that was previously disallowed? If that were possible then I'd be 100% in favor of this.

I was thinking of an option that could easily be changed at any time. Like this:

Say you select 'edit mates' for a dragon. What comes up is the entire list of dragons this dragon could possibly breed with, and you can check or uncheck certain dragons to modify the list. Once this is done, you go back to your dragon's page and select 'breed' and the only dragons that appear in the breeding list are the ones you wanted there.

At any time you can go back into the 'master list' of breedable dragons and alter which dragons show up on which dragon's list. Does that make sense?

And yeah, Pf13, I would use it for that as well.

wink.gif

Great idea! I'd love to see this implemented, it would make life that much easier. xd.png Refusals removed... accidental in-breeding avoided (*headdesk* Did that once, to my annoyance!)

This would be wonderfully usefull. No more scrolling through all the dragons, no more accidental inbreedings, no more remembering which ones are incombatible....this would make breeding somuch easier.

The main issue would be how much data would need to be stored to have this done. I wish TJ would come and say if it would be at all possible or not. Because if not I'd like to know so I can put it on the DNS list. If it is possible I'd love to see it added.

Thanks for answering my question. Yes, that was exactly what I wanted. smile.gif

i absolutly love this idea because it works for all opinions

i hope it is able to be implanted

personally as a person who breeds life-mates i would prefer taking half an hour to organize them one time, then having to scroll through many dragons to find one each time i breed

Edited by darkshadow5392

The main issue would be how much data would need to be stored to have this done. I wish TJ would come and say if it would be at all possible or not. Because if not I'd like to know so I can put it on the DNS list. If it is possible I'd love to see it added.

Aye, that's my main question to. Is it doable, TJ? Or would it just be too much?

Yessss, if it's at all possible. I'm very picky about who I breed certain dragons with. I almost bred a wrong pair the other day. Luckily the two refused to go near each other. xd.png

Yes ! It's a very neat idea, and it would help me very much (when I get all those breeding pairs).

As another added suggestion, instead of just taking individual dragons off the list, you could take all dragons of a species off. For example, if I didn't want my orange to breed with a mint, ever, I could just take all my mints off with a single click. Not really necessary, but could be nice if you have a lot of dragons and have specific breeds you don't want your other dragons to breed with.