undertow

One-Time Solution for Breeding Control

Do you want to customize your breeding list?  

486 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I can understand your reasoning in this idea, but personally, looking at potential breeding pairs and finding two that go good together, be it through the colors of the dragons or a pretty lineage is all part of the fun. Some inbred dragons have absolutely beautiful lineages. Besides, if someone doesnt like inbreds then they can always abandon or release them.

Personally, I find it easy enough to keep track of what dragons I don't want to breed with a naming system--I use one type of name for pretty lineages, another for messy or inbred ones, and another for caveborns. Many people simply freeze or release their inbreds, or use them to make NDs, zombies, or vamps.

I don't think this is necessary and I probably wouldn't use it, but having said that, I'm also not actively opposed to it.

Oh, I don't have a problem with inbred dragons smile.gif I have a few (a couple I bred myself before I realized the parents were inbred) but I don't breed them for eggs to abandon or trade because I don't want someone to kill them.

It's just that sometimes it's difficult to remember who is inbred and who isn't, and if they could be excluded from the breeding list it would eliminate accidental breedings. But, yes I do understand that keeping track of things like that is part of the game (I have a list now smile.gif)

I was just wondering what others thought ....

Excluding dragons from lists is a very good idea. But the whole prevent them from ever breeding... I don't support. These are very intellegent creatures (except for the drakes which have a dog like intellegence) and wouldn't stand for such treatment like our common housepets do.

I'd like a way to exclude dragons from breeding lists, as well.

I like the idea of having a breeding 'list' for every dragon, that automatically starts with all dragons unchecked. Then whichever you check won't show up on said dragon's breeding list, although you can always go back and uncheck some.

But yah, a permanent neuter/spay thing I don't really support. Don't get me wrong--I WOULD use it, because I have inbreds/messy lineaged things I will never ever ever breed. But at the same time, full grown dragons and vet visits just doesn't seem like it'd go over well X'DD

Excluding dragons from lists is a very good idea. But the whole prevent them from ever breeding... I don't support. These are very intellegent creatures (except for the drakes which have a dog like intellegence) and wouldn't stand for such treatment like our common housepets do.

Image: Breeder tells Dragon A "You will never mate with Dragon B." Dragon A chars breeder to a crisp, then makes an egg with Dragon B, just to be spiteful tongue.gif

How selective would this be? Would it, say, remove a specific dragon from ALL the breeding lists on the scroll? Or could it remove the dragon from only some of the lists? If that makes any sense.

Edited for typos.

Edited by Amberfly

I don't support it mainly because I know others wouldn't like the idea. Plus it seems kind of mean to me. Not only to the dragon, but the poor sap who has to spay/neuter the dragon!

"Hi Dr. Pickle! I've brought in Rocky to have him fixed! *leading reluctant stone dragon*"

"...Oh. Well lovely. blink.gif "

Image: Breeder tells Dragon A "You will never mate with Dragon B." Dragon A chars breeder to a crisp, then makes an egg with Dragon B, just to be spiteful  tongue.gif

How selective would this be? Would it, say, remove a specific dragon from ALL the breeding lists on the scroll? Or could it remove the dragon from only some of the lists? If that makes any sense.

Edited for typos.

Oooh. I think I'd like to see this done both ways.

There'd be two new options under a dragon's action page:

- Edit Breeding List

- Remove From All Breeding Lists

The first would bring up the list I mentioned--a list of all compatible dragons on your scroll, with empty checkboxes next to them. You'd have the option to set it so checked dragons are either the only ones who appear when breeding or the only ones who don't appear when breeding.

The second option would, of course, remove a dragon from everyone else's breeding lists, and the option could be unchecked at any time.

Very much like this idea! :3

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Actually, now that I think about it, it might be useful to be able to selectively remove dragons from breeding lists. I have several on my scroll that are full siblings or part of lineage projects, and this could cut down on accidental inbreeding...hmmm. Re-thinking my original opinion.

I wouldn't use breeding list modification much if at all, since I don't keep offspring of my dragons apart from the hybrids and dragons for BSA use and I have a naming system for those with lineages and those with messy lineages.

But I can imagine it being very useful. That way someone can remove a dragon's siblings and parent from the breeding list and accidental inbreeding cannot occur. The "remove from all lists" option would also be useful, especially for pretty lineaged dragons that you don't have a mate for (very large pyramid, etc) or messy lineaged dragons you keep around for their BSA.

For those who object to removing dragons from breeding lists for whatever reason, they can just not use it.

Thinking about how much this would remove from ever-lengthening breeding lists, considering the number of lengthy/messy typically gifted Prizes, etc. which I'll never breed again, liking this idea...

It's true, the more dragons you have, the more you actually need this feature.

OMG yes. Especially if you're breeding for a specific lineage and accidentally breed the wrong dragons. Repeatedly. Like, say, breeding a 4th gen EG with a 5th gen EG, and having that specific dragon showing up on the top of the breeding list with no way to check its lineage aside from opening up a new tab or going back etc.

And you keep clicking it because you assume it's the one you want, and keep accidentally breeding to the wrong dragon. :| I have a pair of PB silver EGs that I have this issue with, and it bothers me because the male is one gen higher than the female, and I'm trying to breed the female with another male to MAKE a mate for the higher gen male. Instead, the higher gen male keeps showing up at the top of the breeding list, and I KEEP CLICKING HIM, because I can't remember which one was the male silver I wanted. I had to rename the female with "DONOTBREEDWITHX" just to make sure I don't. Being able to take him off my list of available dragons, or to sort that list somehow so he's moved elsewhere, would be amazing.

I have a few shimmers who I accidentally bred with lineaged dragons instead of CBs, too. And those dragons insist on being at the top of the list. sleep.gif;

YES

Also, we shouldn't stop an idea because it might be to much for TJ, for one we don't actually know, and secondly, I think TJ would be all for doing a hard to do addition if it would help a large amount of people.

Full support!

I think this idea is a great idea, but I think there are other ideas and suggestions, if implemented, would also take care of this issue. That doesn't mean this idea is no longer valid, the thread may need an update to include some other suggestions that might fit with its goals. Like tabs, sorting options, tags,etc.

So if people want to continue to discuss it, there may want to be consideration on which ideas already out there (or new ones) would accomplish the goal in the simplest manner with greatest benefits. Or not. It's just that if other stuff out there was added, I see this topic being less of an issue. Or much easier to manage and prevent and control.

I could see supporting something like this if it were applied to dragons that refuse to have anything to do with each other so that way one wouldn't have to try and remember which pairings work and which pairings, if I'm not mistaken, will NEVER work due to the aforementioned refusing.

I could see supporting something like this if it were applied to dragons that refuse to have anything to do with each other so that way one wouldn't have to try and remember which pairings work and which pairings, if I'm not mistaken, will NEVER work due to the aforementioned refusing.

Current refusals will have your refused mates greyed out athe bottom of the breeding list, so not being able to tell who has refused in the past is no longer an issue.

Voted yes. I can't think of any other improvements that haven't already been mentioned.