TJ09

2024-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 18th Birthday!

2 hours ago, D-wing said:

Of course I will! Thanks for sharing and sorry for the wrong information!

I'm pretty sure you're right though? At least for cave-caught eggs, they won't die of sickness until the cooldown is up. Not sure about market eggs or bred ones. Someone on discord got a freshly caught egg up to like 6K UVs and it still didn't die of sickness during the cooldown period (but no amount of fogging/warding could save it at that point, so there are still risks!)

Just wanted to say that at 10:52 a.m. DC time on May 22 - nearly 11 hours after the 24 hour flood ended - there were NR eggs sitting in every applicable biome. This is why I say people shouldn't get so worked up about not catching them immediately.  In nearly three years playing this game, I've never seen NR eggs be a problem to catch after the flood (at least for awhile).

I've heard of a problem many years ago with a release, but I think TJ has these releases under control ..😁

Happy Birthday, Dragon Cave and many, many more!  🥂

1 hour ago, Stormphoenix42 said:

I'm pretty sure you're right though? At least for cave-caught eggs, they won't die of sickness until the cooldown is up. Not sure about market eggs or bred ones. Someone on discord got a freshly caught egg up to like 6K UVs and it still didn't die of sickness during the cooldown period (but no amount of fogging/warding could save it at that point, so there are still risks!)

wow 6K! I feel like that become a interesting topic now, but I'm not the one who discover it and I didn't test so I can't sure which is right.

(Unfortunately it's something a counterexample can overthrow 1000 positive examples.) Maybe they just very, very hard to die like need an astronomical figures uv(in a few seconds) so ddos attack still kill them? or maybe something had change? XD  

But it could become a very useful skill and it's meaningful to know if they won't died in first 5H with a normal hatchling rate. I guess I will convey both side's observation and let them choose themselves if anyone asked in the future, or until we have more knowledge like how many views would let eggs die after 6H but not after 11H. XD Thank you for the experiment and sharing too!

Posted (edited)

Caveborn eggs cannot die for the first 12 hours of their life + however many minutes are left until the next hourly (Sickness death is executed only on the hourly. Slows down my zombie gathering...).

The way sickness death worked was probably different in the past, hence the cooldown claim, but this is at least true of 2022, when this egg failed to die after its cooldown:

Screenshot_-_2022-06-08T114521_901.png.ae6d94c07f062c5a24b5403cb8cf98eb.png

and proceeded to spend the next seven hours tanking more UV until it crumbled:

Screenshot_20220608-191042.png.eab1045189fdc3fbaf95495ed52d4acc.png

You can confirm this yourself, too:

- Grab an egg from the biomes.

- Immediately, add it to every site you know.

- Check up on the egg every hour or so. At this point it is your choice to abandon the egg if you need the space, as long as you still have its /view page bookmarked. Eggs continue to gain views and die of sickness during abandonment; I have "killed" misbreeds this way.

- Once the egg comes up on 12 hours flat since its catch time, you may check up on the egg every few minutes, and you should especially check right before and after the following hourly.

---

For the sake of remaining on topic, the turtles and qilin look delightfully exciting. The turtles' eggs are just stunning and I hope their shells come out equally so.

Edited by Lushwave

I would like confirmation on this one from @TJ09 Until we have that, I am not convinced. Just because one specific egg didn't die doesn't mean it cannot happen.

Very nice theme this year, I'm especially excited for the Qilin and Azure dragon. Can't wait for some of my eggs to hatch so I can get more.

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I would like confirmation on this one from TJ09. Until we have that, I am not convinced. Just because one specific egg didn't die doesn't mean it cannot happen.

With those numbers, it's pretty conclusive. Any egg that was capable of dying of sickness would have died. The only real possibility is that something changed in the past couple of years. Not sure we'll get any official word on it though, some of these game mechanics are just kind of there in the background, like the 15:1 view:UV ratio.

Happy Birthday DragonCave!

I'm so glad that you're here!  And we're here!  

This has been so fun!

3 hours ago, Lushwave said:

Caveborn eggs cannot die for the first 12 hours of their life + however many minutes are left until the next hourly (Sickness death is executed only on the hourly. Slows down my zombie gathering...).

The way sickness death worked was probably different in the past, hence the cooldown claim, but this is at least true of 2022, when this egg failed to die after its cooldown:

Screenshot_-_2022-06-08T114521_901.png.ae6d94c07f062c5a24b5403cb8cf98eb.png

and proceeded to spend the next seven hours tanking more UV until it crumbled:

Screenshot_20220608-191042.png.eab1045189fdc3fbaf95495ed52d4acc.png

You can confirm this yourself, too:

- Grab an egg from the biomes.

- Immediately, add it to every site you know.

- Check up on the egg every hour or so. At this point it is your choice to abandon the egg if you need the space, as long as you still have its /view page bookmarked. Eggs continue to gain views and die of sickness during abandonment; I have "killed" misbreeds this way.

- Once the egg comes up on 12 hours flat since its catch time, you may check up on the egg every few minutes, and you should especially check right before and after the following hourly.

---

For the sake of remaining on topic, the turtles and qilin look delightfully exciting. The turtles' eggs are just stunning and I hope their shells come out equally so.

Unfortunately though, this player's (see below quote) new eggs all died, :(  the one they shared plus all the others on their scroll, so I am unclear about this ...? I always thought we had to protect new eggs and I wouldn't add them to every site. :( 

15 hours ago, ahannaha said:

Wow! This is very exciting! I managed to get one of each! Harry birthday Dragon Cave! :D❤️

This one has a fun code lol - https://dragcave.net/view/iZ00Z

Posted (edited)

21 minutes ago, missy_ said:

so I am unclear about this ...? I always thought we had to protect new eggs and I wouldn't add them to every site.

Not sure what you mean by "this" exactly, are you talking about the "confirm this yourself" bit? Those are steps you can take to see the 12 hour death-lock in action with an arbitrary caveborn egg, not tips for raising your egg...

Edited by Lushwave

32 minutes ago, missy_ said:

Unfortunately though, this player's (see below quote) new eggs all died, :(  the one they shared plus all the others on their scroll, so I am unclear about this ...? I always thought we had to protect new eggs and I wouldn't add them to every site. :( 

When did it die, though? If it died after 12 hrs, that still confirms the theory.

Yeah, definitely don't add new eggs to every site.  Just because they won't die in the first few hours doesn't mean they won't die once that initial period is over. (The one I saw was warded right before the cooldown ran out, so it was protected a for little while longer, but it died right after the ward expired - if they get too many views, there's nothing you can do, even if you fog them at that point.)

Posted (edited)

ETA, Lushwave:  See the rest of this post, I will do as fuzzbucket is doing and I will wait to hear from TJ, as it sounds like this may be the case, but they can still die right after that.

8 minutes ago, meeps114 said:

When did it die, though? If it died after 12 hrs, that still confirms the theory.

But if they get absolutely bombarded with views during the 12 hours, they will still almost surely die after the 12 hours is up. so I don't know what the point is, since you won't be able to save them anyway?

Basically, what Stormphoenix says here:

6 minutes ago, Stormphoenix42 said:

Just because they won't die in the first few hours doesn't mean they won't die once that initial period is over.

and

6 minutes ago, Stormphoenix42 said:

if they get too many views, there's nothing you can do, even if you fog them at that point.)

If they get too many views, they're going to die, so even if they hang on for those 12 hours, they're going to be dead anyway. Anyway, I get Lushwave's point now; there is supposedly a window of 12 hours where they won't die, but they can still die after that, if they got too many views.

Edited by missy_

A bit late to the party but egglocked myself with new eggs without issue! Happy birthday DC!

Posted (edited)

22 minutes ago, missy_ said:

if they get absolutely bombarded with views during the 12 hours, they will still almost surely die after the 12 hours is up. so I don't know what the point is, since you won't be able to save them anyway?

My point wasn't that you can just viewbomb them for 12 hrs and be fine, but that the original comment from @D-wing was actually correct (albeit they said 5 hrs instead of 12), so had the user noticed earlier, they could've fogged it, then warded closer to the 12hr mark, to extend the protection to 17 hrs. This still might not be enough and the egg could die, but it's helpful info for people to know, so that in this case it happens to them, they don't waste their ward. I think it's a bit unfair that multiple people chastised D-wing for that advice, as Lushwave has shown good evidence that it is correct. 

Screenshot_20240522-164410~2.png

Edited by meeps114

wow this flood keeps going and going! Exciting, glad to grab more eggs :)

Finally, my new eggs are starting to crack. I look forward to grabbing more eggs if they are still flooding tomorrow when mine hatch. 

10 hours ago, laevsk said:

Just wanted to say that at 10:52 a.m. DC time on May 22 - nearly 11 hours after the 24 hour flood ended - there were NR eggs sitting in every applicable biome. This is why I say people shouldn't get so worked up about not catching them immediately. 

Yup, all releases are permanent(I would argue that as we have a holiday specific biome during the events now, even the holidays are kind of permanent) and so just because you cannot catch new release eggs right this instant doesn’t mean that the system is broken! I do understand the frustration, I’ve been there myself :D but let’s have some patience around here shall we? 

10 hours ago, laevsk said:

Just wanted to say that at 10:52 a.m. DC time on May 22 - nearly 11 hours after the 24 hour flood ended - there were NR eggs sitting in every applicable biome. This is why I say people shouldn't get so worked up about not catching them immediately.  In nearly three years playing this game, I've never seen NR eggs be a problem to catch after the flood (at least for awhile).

I've heard of a problem many years ago with a release, but I think TJ has these releases under control ..😁

My experience as well!

Thanks for another great release art team and TJ! The site continues to function quickly and reliably - something I really value about dragcave.

I'm very excited to see how these turn out, especially the Metal/White Tiger one! They all look beautiful 💖

Which hatchling is the one on the left? I've lost track of which hatchlings go with which eggs. :lol:

Happy birthday DC! Definitely grateful for the longer flood time for this one, it's making it easier to get multiple as my egg slots open up ^^