Oleler

Random breed "flood" event

Posted (edited)

this is an idea i had for a while, fleshed it out more in discord, but i don't think it was ever posted further. so here i go.

to aid users get more uncommon breeds, or any that generally tend to be hard to find in cave even though they're not supposed to be exactly rare (rares meaning dragons like gold, staterae) we should get random floods of some breeds.

this could be a weekly event, maybe even daily, that happens for x amount of hours. during this event, one random breed is picked, and that breed will be flooding the biome it spawns in for a couple hours. could be that it swarms every hour on the dot, maybe every 10 minutes. or the biome is just that breed for the amount of the flood.

in a nutshell, it would be similar to a new release flood, but instead it happens with existing, older breeds. aid users get older breeds in case the flood matches the breed they need.

all timeframes, how often these happen, how long they last, etc all are up to debate. i just think that having a set time per week or so that these happen is a good idea so that people can prepare themselves in case they need the flooding breed.

Edited by Oleler

No support. That will make them impossible to find for YEARS after. Silvers flooded for a short time way back when. I don't remember how long, but it wasn't much and it took, Ima say 5ish? years before they were really seen again. Flooding like that massively breaks the ratios.

No support.

In theory I don't hate the idea of fluctuating certain breeds to be more common at certain parts of the month. It would make common hunting more consistent.

As pitched, though, I have no interest in anything that messes with rare ratios.

this would not need to mess with rares directly. target breeds would be commons and uncommons that are not supposed to be as rare as they are now, simply due to how many other common breeds can be found in the same biome.

No support.

I would hate to see a breed that's not super common but not also super rare suddenly become all but impossible to find for a while post-flood.

No support. The mass breedings that happen now are a pain in the butt for AP hunters as it is ! And yes - I remember the silvers. Also the blacks - a common breed that were almost unobtainable for years.

That sounds like all it would achieve is wreak further havoc on the ratios that are already skewed to make the breed rarer than it should be, no support
Plus the drama that would ensue about when such floods should happen across timezones *shudders*

No support. I don't think flooding different breeds will actually fix ratios. I think it'll just skew them further. Also, what the site deems common and uncommon may be different than what we feel a dragon should be. If people want a dragon, there are other options to try right now, like trading or using the market. 

no support.

dragon cave does have its own balancing system behind the scenes. if it sees uncommons suddenly becoming commons, it shuts their appearance down even more to prevent choke holds in the line ups appearing. as well as makes breeding them extremely hard to prevent mass AP walls of them.

this would outright shove uncommons into rares territory.

I think common floods were a thing ages ago, but the system has been changed/fixed ever since. So this isn't needed. No support. 

On 1/7/2024 at 1:40 AM, Fuzzbucket said:

No support. The mass breedings that happen now are a pain in the butt for AP hunters as it is ! And yes - I remember the silvers. Also the blacks - a common breed that were almost unobtainable for years.

No support. Honestly, I've never been a fan of the mass breedings. Holidays are different though. It's just a concept I don't quite understand since rarity is part of the game? I like the idea that the old commons I have "would increase in value," but alas I don't have the lines/breeds/alts folk seems to want. I understand people wanting their own CB common too and purists and cavists.

I remember the blacks being impossible to find, I still auto click on them now. Of course never seen a CB gold, only ever seen 1 cb silver in the cave. the market has allowed me to get them now though :)

I’m a fan of mass breeding. Please don’t try to represent everyone by saying it’s a pain in the butt for AP hunters. Any mass breed is a field day for hunters of lineages code freezelets like me and I’ve always picked up more bred 5l word code for freezing during mass breed than when AP is normal and slow going and have assorted breeds. And it is within player capacity to do whatever the hell they like with dragons on their scroll, be it mass murder which does have the potential to ruin others lineage or mass breeding which yes reduces AP time to potentially very low. I’m sorry but their play style is as valid as everyone else’s and you can’t chastise them just because they like breeding their dragons.

That aside I would hate to see the CB ratio even more chaotic than it already is right now if we introduce a flooding event. When I first saw the thread I thought huh that sounds fun not useful to me but if someone need a particular breed they can instead just watch out for the flood event…but then I see people mentioning ratio and that is indeed a big oof. I would hate to see the ratios becomes more skewed to the point that outside the flood it’d be virtually impossible to find some of the uncommon eggs (not even rare!) so no support sadly

Edited by Moriaty

Don't like this idea, it honestly sounds like it would be annoying, even outside of the way it would mess with ratios, to have the cave spitting out only 1 breed outside of holidays.

I think this would be irritating while cave hunting for certain other dragons, though I wouldn't mind uncommon floods. I don't think most people would like it, though. 

As stated by many others, the chance of “making one breed common for a while, and then pretty much impossible to find” is a bit of a potential pitfall, that should be avoided.

However, I do dig the idea if given a bit more predictability, and tailored to fit timezones better.

There’s a lot of dragons to catch, and sometimes common ones might seem rare between the other commons, simply because there are so many others that are equally common.

If we however knew certain dragons would be more likely to spawn during set days, and had a schedule early enough to guarantee that we could have the scroll space, if we wanted to be there for the spawn, it might be more preferable.

Of course, truly rare dragons should be the exception, given how players are more likely to hoard, which again would make it impact the ratio to a larger degree. Making the event only beneficial for experienced players that probably already do have said breeds.

This suggestion has been downvoted so much xD But yeah I don't think we need it. We already have the market, it was established for the exact same reason - to let players buy the breeds they're missing. With a few exceptions, of course, but still.