missy_

Severe intermittent lag on main site

I have been having this problem ever since the holiday event started.

It just took me 15 minutes to accept two trades and to attempt to stun one hatchling. I am still not sure whether the hatchling was stunned successfully.

I have tried using two different browsers. I have tried using content blockers and not using content blockers. Nothing I have done has made any difference. Every time I think I may have fixed the problem, it shows up again.

Today was supposed to be a day when I bred all of my BSA dragons. I don't know how I can do it with this lag.

Again, it is intermittent. So it might be fine for a few minutes or a few hours, and then it comes back.

1. Have any other players experienced this debilitating lag during this event? I'm talking about not being able to do anything and the site being practically unreachable.

2. TJ, I wish there were logs or something I could give you but I am on an iPad. Do you have any suggestions? Have you seen any issues with the site?

I haven't had any issues nor have I heard about any - have you checked your actual internet connection?

I remember the site lagging very badly around Dec 30th, and a few others in the official discord mentioned it in the site help section.  it took over 30 min to incu and influence 8 eggs, something that usually takes less than a minute. 

but I haven’t noticed the site lagging any more than usual since then. 

I was also having some pretty bad intermittent lag during the holiday event, but after I cleared my browser's cache the other day it seems to have been resolved. Maybe that could be it? 

It's working fine for me (UK, Windows 7, Opera.)

I don't think I've had any issues here. Maybe it's the connection?

Posted (edited)

It might be because of where you are? I was traveling in Florida during Christmas and my connection to Dragon Cave was terrible (interestingly, my first lag experience happened the same time it was mentioned in TLQ so I do believe they're related). I resorted to trying using data because I thought it was the hotel wifi, but when I do that all other sites load fine except DC, which occasionally is ok (for like 3 minutes before going back to being not ok) and most of the time take a long time (like 5+ minute for a single click) to load. It was miserable experience (and I wasn't able to catch saltkins this winter because of that...) I'm back home in California now and I've been experiencing normal speed/connection/etc with DC. So your location *might* have something to do with your speed (though I don't know the reason why

Edited by Moriaty

Am also in Florida and the site has been very laggy on and off today. But it is also raining, so there's that. It was also very slow when I was visiting my parents during the holiday and back here at home where I pay for the highest speed. I'm thinking the slowness is tied to location.

I've not personally experienced anything like what you're describing, and I've been pretty active on DC since the start of holiday breeding.

Things have been pretty much normal for me. There was some lag when the event first launched, which is not unusual, but I have not noticed anything significant since then.

UPDATE: Nope, it's not the extension after all.

It's happening to me again. I am beginning to suspect (but have not definitively narrowed it down) a Safari extension called Bolt, which selectively blocks things like ads, malicious content, etc. I enabled web inspector but it's kind of convoluted, since I have to connect my iPad to a desktop in order to view it. So I have not viewed the web inspector results yet. Nope, that wasn't it.

I don't know for certain that the extension is the issue. I'm still troubleshooting. It would be weird if it is though, because I haven't run across any other websites that grind to a halt when I use it.

I got this error message in the middle of Dragon Cave lag the other day, in case this is useful:

IMG_0171.thumb.jpeg.9e920293a3e69bf42d9fb05b411464f7.jpeg

The bolt extension runs on the typical Easy List and Fanboy Annoyances, etc. 

Update: The extension has been enabled for a few days without issue, so I'm ruling it out.

The weird thing is, when the DC website starts to malfunction, even if I disable it and clear DC cookies, it still continues to have severe problems reaching the DC website for at least an hour. Again this is just my latest theory. I don't know for sure about anything yet. But it is weird that it causes such severe problems with the DC website, if in fact that is what is happening. No other websites are affected.

ETA: It is not my Internet connection, folks. The forum continues to function just fine, as do all other websites. I check them immediately to make sure.

Edited by missy_

I use uBlock which is pretty aggressive, and have no issues at all. But I recall that when I used to use ghostery and had to disable it, it would always take a while to settle. I'd switch from Bolt, if I were you.

The one on site thing that sometimes kicks off is cloudflare - but one cannot do anything about that !