Murkydepths

Cookie decorating 2.0

Every year that rolls around cookie decorator proves it's superiority as best minigame that everyone loves. Genuine highlight of the holidays is making and sending cookies and seeing the wild designs people come up with. I know I'm not the only one. So I thought, what about an expansion for cookie decorator?

Here's some ideas:

• New cookie bases: a bauble, a heart, a square, a basic dragon head, an award ribbon, a snowglobe
  • More icing colours: orange, grey, teal, bright pink, bright yellow, lavender, dark green, dark blue.
  • A slightly smaller nozzle for better detailing
  • Differently shaped nozzles: star, square
  • New sprinkles: stars, snowflakes, hearts, maybe sugar icing like specks (would look a bit like the spray can effect in paint)
  • New sprinkle colours: Pink!
  • A smudge tool, could be a finger
  • A fill tool, could be an icing bowl or spoon
  • A fade/blur tool. Could be a cake palette knife
  • 'Eat' action on received cookies, basically deleting them.
  • Last of all but probably most wanted - making 'batches' of cookies. Essentially letting you duplicate a cookie design by 5 or 10, possibly costing candy to do so.

These are my ideas but I'd love to hear anyone else's and if they'd like an update to cookie decorating.

Suggested ideas from others!

• Being able to mix icing to create new colours, though would need to be fairly limited
Edited by Murkydepths

I like these suggestions, especially more icing colors/bases - I'd love to have an orange color and another pink. A snowglobe base would also be pretty cool.

Batches would be really nice for sending cookies to random people. I keep having cookies end up on inactive scrolls, and it feels bad spending effort on cookies just to throw them into the void. If I could make extras, I'd be happy to send several off to random scrolls knowing at least one will find a good home.

I'm personally ok without the extra nozzles and tools, I think the simplicity of what we have available makes it even more impressive when people manage to create something amazing. On the other hand, opening up more tools would make it easier for everyone to create things like that. So I guess for those I'm fine either way :)

Oh my goodness yes, I love these suggestions. Especially the smaller nozzle sizes for detailing; I'm struggling to figure out how to get the tiny details on some of my cookies.

Yes to more colors of icing and sprinkles, but most of all a smaller nozzle for detailing. I know some people are able to make amazing things with the tools we have, and I salute them, but I need more help.

I, solemnly swear, to subscribe to this game for a full year just for a content expansion for cookie decoration next Christmas. Bless the implementation of cookie decoration. It is the height of the year and I am immensely saddened I did not realize what glory it was last year.

I don't even need all the fancy stuff, (not that it would hurt of course), just some more icing colours and a bit more shapes. Already looking forward to next year just for this glory.

Edited by inghelene

Ooo yes! I think more cookie options would be so much fun! 

Support! Using candies to make extra cookies is especially a great idea as a lot of us are sitting on hundreds if not thousands of candies, just for a set of decorations that get added every other year or something.

Edited by Naraku

Support for basically everything; more icing colors, more shapes, and especially the ability to duplicate a cookie, as it would be great for people who love to rapid fire cookies (and is kinda why I haven't done much with cookie decorating — I'd love to send random ones, but the inability to duplicate them is a downside)

Yes to all of this! I'd especially love to have orange as a color option!

I'm not sure about duplicating though, I feel like that'd make them less unique in a way?

Yes! Especially for the colors and small nozzle! Especially especially for the color orange! Cookie decorating is awesome but these suggestions would add even more possibilities to it!

I think it would be a lot of fun to do an event next year that has a story of you going through a holiday bazaar filled with vendors selling lots of goodies and each booth asks you to "help" which constitutes a mini game, One could be for baking, so that mini game can get more recipes or a 2.0. Once could be for candy making, which could use the snowball grid game to make the biggest piece of candy. Once can be the cookie decorating with new features, one can be the gingerbread house. Maybe each vendor you help will give you something in return that you are going to use for making your gifts and that can be an end game to make your own presents with the goodies you receive from helping. 

You know how they have those 'color a cookie' kits? Could we maybe have some premade candies and/or outlines we can follow as well?

And an autofill color option- I feel stuff like this would make things easier for some people [ex. Me on mobile with my chubby fingers] to participate and make neat looking cookies even if they lack finer motor control.

That aside, I'm all for more options in general

I'm not against expanding cookie decorating with new types of content (cookie shapes, sprinkles, or other decorations).

But I don't think I'll be making too many changes to how frosting works (new brush sizes/colors). Being somewhat unwieldy is the point, after all! The various cookies I've received are impressive because they were made despite the limitations—the use of limited colors can create amazing effects. If you showed me a cookie and told me you drew it in Photoshop, it's way less interesting than knowing it was a made in a frosting editor with 16 colors and 3 brush sizes.

The same goes for duplicating cookies. When you receive a cookie, it's special in part because it's one-of-a-kind. I don't plan to change that.

On 12/31/2023 at 8:31 PM, TJ09 said:

I'm not against expanding cookie decorating with new types of content (cookie shapes, sprinkles, or other decorations).

But I don't think I'll be making too many changes to how frosting works (new brush sizes/colors). Being somewhat unwieldy is the point, after all! The various cookies I've received are impressive because they were made despite the limitations—the use of limited colors can create amazing effects. If you showed me a cookie and told me you drew it in Photoshop, it's way less interesting than knowing it was a made in a frosting editor with 16 colors and 3 brush sizes.

The same goes for duplicating cookies. When you receive a cookie, it's special in part because it's one-of-a-kind. I don't plan to change that.

Thank you for replying! I agree that part of the charm of cookie creation is the limited controls. I actually thought there wasn't an undo button for a while because I am very unobservant apparently, but also because there's no 'undo' in real cookie creation. Which is why I think if new nozzles are considered, they should retain the blobby icing feel (no straight lines!) and at most be slightly smaller than what we currently have. I do disagree on the colours though, it feels a shame we have three shades of green and blue that are very similar and not a single orange. How am I to draw magis, and shallow waters, and lihnseyres?

I understand the intention of one-of-a-kind cookies, it's why I included a cost to do so, as I do also think cookie duplication would bring a lot of joy and sharing. Buuut ultimately that's all up to you of course! I'm happy you've considered it. :)

On 12/31/2023 at 3:31 PM, TJ09 said:

that's a bummer, i personally would want a brush that's half the size of our current smallest, as it'd still be pretty big (current smallest brush size has a 16 pixel diameter, so an 8 pixel diameter would still be fairly big. or maybe 10 pixels, even! but if you didn't want to make anything smaller, i suppose we will have to struggle on with our favorite janky little cookie creator :P

25 minutes ago, Murkydepths said:

I do disagree on the colours though, it feels a shame we have three shades of green and blue that are very similar and not a single orange. How am I to draw magis, and shallow waters, and lihnseyres?

we DO at least need orange... it's my favorite color! and we don't have a complete rainbow without it!

I’m kinda hoping for orange too as a colour. Anything more I feel is mostly covered. :D

And of course cool new shapes!

I think not having a smaller nozzle is quite discouraging for non-artistic types, and there are far more of those than the amazing people who can create gorgeous works with what we have currently. My daughter tried her hand at making cookies this year, she feels that her attempts are too clumsy and she's reluctant to share, kind of the antithesis of what the holiday season is about IMO.

Posted (edited)

100% support. We have had newer decorations added to the wreath, I think it's time for an improvement to the cookie decorating many people love so much. So I'm glad at least the addition of new cookie shapes / sprinkles is under consideration - I think star and heart-shaped shrinkles would be cute and also the added pink color for sprinkles, maybe gray/silver.

For the shapes, besides suggested, I think a heart or a bell could be cute. 

Now to address the disagreed upon ones.... 

Honestly I think wider variety of colors is a must. Sure, there are some amazing people out there and you can make do with a lot, it doesn't make sense for there to be so many greens yet no orange. To limit it to just a few, I think orange, teal and gray would be good ideas. or at the very least orange for the rainbow. 

I think beyond being unwieldy, the sizes are just.....huge. Like even when I accidentally cut off my frosting bag too wide, it still doesn't even come close to this. So please, smaller nozzle would really be appreciated. It doesnt have to be smaller by a lot, but just by a bit, really.

I really don't think the very basic of adding more colors and nozzles is turning this anywhere close to 1% of photoshop. I can understand not wanting the smudge/blurs etc.

Not to mention it opens up the game and makes it accessible to more people than just artists. What exactly is the thought behind the cookie decorating, is it there just to show off how super skilled you are or is it to share cookies and make other people happy?

Which honestly brings me to the point of cookie batches - they are my cookies to give, who am I hurting by sending it to more people? If I have friends that would get offended because someone else got the same cookie, then I should probably rethink them being my friends. And it's not like there could still not be special one only cookies if you so choose. The idea of spending candies for it is good because then it is not unlimited and also gives people reason to keep playing the other games past their first year.

And honestly if there is just one cookie, I really don't want to randomly send it to an inactive scroll. If I had the ability to make more by design, I would love to send part of them to random users to share the joy of the season.

Edited by Alwerien

Posted (edited)

Another potential idea: a list of scrolls you can put together to randomly send to, for when you don't have someone specific in mind but do have a friend group or maybe people you owe cookies to!

Sort of like making groups for dragons but for scroll names.

Edited by Murkydepths

Posted (edited)

I’m coming back to the thread to also add that if you allow duplication through candy, you could give a special ribbon or something to those truly unique. This would highlight the individual effort whilst still allowing those who are better at farming candy to share that very hard effort cookie with more.

Also, the lack of a grey colour is also something that I would point out along with the lack of orange.

(Yes I know we are decorating cookies, but since black is a colour, anyone working with frosting knows grey is so so much more easier  to make. 😂)

I’d also really like a heart shaped cookie. Surprised they weren’t default. 😅

Edit2: I have also started dreaming of star shaped sprinkles. 🥺

(you know the ones used for cupcakes.)

Edited by inghelene

STRAIGHT LINES

As someone who struggles to even draw a straight line I would absolutely love the ability to make a straight line with a tool similar to one used in the pumpkin carving event. Start at point 'a' and end at point 'b' with a straight line snapped down between the two points.  Would save me from redoing lines over and over until they look somewhat straight  :P