Gluria

"Hard to pair" dragons

What a great thread! I have seen some pairings here that I never thought of that I am eager to try.

One I have had trouble with is the Pharos Xenowyrm. Those colors just don't seem to look right with any other dragon I have tried.

Adding my two cents on the Wrapping Wings. I like them with Neotropical, Silver, and Fever.

Edited by purplehaze

22 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

What a great thread! I have seen some pairings here that I never thought of that I am eager to try.

One I have had trouble with is the Pharos Xenowyrm. Those colors just don't seem to look right with any other dragon I have tried.

Hm, that made me play with them and I like them with male Arrakymas, both on the yellowish spectrum and with turquoisy accents

https://chazza.me/dc/lineage-builder/view/86006d787397b1fad4cbe0cd44194567cdee8646

Also make a nice, pastel look with lime Astraels. I might actually try to do a pairing like this, it has imo very desert-like vibes, which matches Pharos

https://chazza.me/dc/lineage-builder/view/b331e4e11d6d641eedaa8e8794196aabde066a3b

Some other ideas for them I liked - citrine Gemshards and male Mistras:

https://chazza.me/dc/lineage-builder/view/76fbb883cb37286ad576e4b535c8a896f2c4aaa4

https://chazza.me/dc/lineage-builder/view/f739b6553810b6a30c6e3bcff7a7392c1498f820

Oooh, I honestly forgot about the Tangledrakin since they're so new but I do really like them, and even more together!! Thank you for the other suggestions, too - I'm definitely doing some Abyss Watcher and Horse pairings with the Hunters ❤️

On 11/21/2023 at 5:09 PM, eeep said:

The first dragon that comes to my mind are Anagallis dragons, just because they have a lot of "clashing" colors. However, the sheer amount of colors they have would probably lend themselves to some pretty unique looking pairings. I just haven't been struck by any inspiration / seen any existing Anagallis lineages.

I've got a Male Fever Wyvern x Female Anagallis lineage I'm very slowly working on!  Here's a 3rd gen from that so you can see how it looks (this one is a wild one, the rest of the ones I have are just 2nd gens so not as great for assessing appearances).  For me, I really like the blue on the wings/faces because that's a shade of blue I love, and I thought their greens looked neat together.  The yellow colors in the Fever Wyvern seem to look nice with the yellow tones in the Anagallis greens, and the blue wings/faces seem to pair nice with the slightly cooler-looking green of the Fever Wyvern (at least that's how they look to me, I know color vision will vary)

9 hours ago, purplehaze said:

Female aquamarine (Friday) Gemshards! They look GREAT together: https://dragcave.net/lineage/nsgVG

12 hours ago, purplehaze said:

Pharos looks so cool. I think it looks fun to go crazy with the light colors. It also complements those older sprites pretty well. Here's my favorite experiments! 

SkywingDaydream, Cantor Tutela (ward)Celestial, Astralophyne, Sunrise, Lunar Herald silver.

13 hours ago, purplehaze said:

I like them with shumoga, I think the light purple of their wings emphasize the purple accents of the Pharos, along with the bit of orange flame. I also like how shumoga complements the purples of amarginis https://dragcave.net/lineage/NfplK , the dark shumoga is also fun, but I don't like it as a pair quite as  much.

21 hours ago, purplehaze said:

in addition to the other suggestions, they look nice with gold Lunar Heralds and pink Sweetlings too 

For silver shade, the first breed that comes to mine is a grey dragon, which may actually be called a ‘storm’ dragon? I’m not sure, the grey and black ones, or they may look good with one of the zyus, I’m thinking either blue or black? 🤔 

On the topic of angallisses: they don't seem like that popular of a breed, but I really like them for lineages :D 

I did one with alternating fire gems (which is probably one of my favorite projects to date): https://dragcave.net/lineage/xfWc4
and I also think the males look amazing with tri-colored snow angels: https://dragcave.net/lineage/idud1
I've also done them with floral-crowneds, which aren't as matchy, but have similar flowery vibes and some green tones: https://dragcave.net/lineage/se2K2

Edited by Painted

Can't decide! Whodathunk the light weaver would be so problematic when trying to come up with a monochromatic type pairing! Trying to decide between stunned electric,  elux, or blue gemshard, opinions on mates are welcome. Ok, more than just welcome, more like desperately needed. :P

5 hours ago, Tawanda001 said:

Can't decide! Whodathunk the light weaver would be so problematic when trying to come up with a monochromatic type pairing! Trying to decide between stunned electric,  elux, or blue gemshard, opinions on mates are welcome. Ok, more than just welcome, more like desperately needed. :P

Out of your three options, I'm a big fan of blue Gemshard. Them swirls, it's perfect! You could also check out the blue Lunar Herald.

By monochromatic, do you practically mean a blue lineage? Or would it work to lean towards the gold color too? Because I recommend taking citrine yellow Gemshard and the golden Lunar Herald into a checker builder with LightWeaver too!

8 hours ago, Tawanda001 said:

Stellarum. But they're not the best choice in checkers.

I think most of the blue colour's dragons like thunder/Aqualis/Aeria Gloris/Moonstone have their own fascination too. Also Venturis and Arrakyma.

Edited by D-wing

4 hours ago, Platykwak said:

Out of your three options, I'm a big fan of blue Gemshard. Them swirls, it's perfect! You could also check out the blue Lunar Herald.

By monochromatic, do you practically mean a blue lineage? Or would it work to lean towards the gold color too? Because I recommend taking citrine yellow Gemshard and the golden Lunar Herald into a checker builder with LightWeaver too!

Yeah, something mostly blue. I went with a gold wyvern for a contrasting lineage but I was really tempted by the gold lunar herald too. Kinda struggling with a second, blue, pairing. The lightweaver looks so shiny and metallic I'm finding it hard to pair with some of the other blues.

Appreciate the replies!

13 hours ago, Tawanda001 said:

I think they look fantastic with (sapphire-blue) Gemshards!  I hadn't thought of stunned Electrics, though, so now I may have to put that on my to-do list for next year.

They're also amazing with blue Sonatas, if you needed a fourth option.  :) I think it's my fave of all the combos I've seen/tried so far.

On 11/18/2023 at 12:50 AM, Platykwak said:

Lightstreak: How about, Falconiform, Moonstone, Waterhorse, Red Fire Gem.

Thank you for suggesting Waterhorses for Lightstreaks! I have not been able to come up with a good pairing ever since their release.

I'm not that much into making lineages of my own but I always enjoy seeing what others create. There are some really nice ideas in this thread, I need to make sure to drop in from time to time. :lol:

Pushing this up bc I feel like the Fenghuos might need a little thinking.

They have a fairly big sprite with a lot going on.

What have your ideas been so far?

I bred one to a blue Sonata and one to a Pharos Xeno.

Liked the Sonata, not sure about the Pharos.

I feel like they might do well with lighter colours and "soft" styles. I might try Sapo, Cloudplume and Pale Shumoga too.

I think Peach Pied and Leodons are both good with Fenghuos, maybe silver Lunar Heralds if you really want the warm colors on the Fenghuo to pop?

Well, I will definitely try them with Staterae - and if it takes ages! (hopefully I'll get one 2G Stat before next VDay XD)

I'm gonna try the Fenghuos with Tercorns because almost anything looks good with Tercorns.

Edited by Skadi

I'm still mulling it over (and waiting on more egg space to open up on my scroll), but I think the Fenghuo Wyrms will look good with Lihnseyres and peach Florets.  (PeachPieds have already been mentioned, but I agree!) 

Other breeds that I think have potential and will try at least one test breeding with: Aranoa, black Astrael, Antarean, purple Floret, Plated Colossus, orange Sonata, and maybe Thundersnow.

Posted (edited)

On 11/22/2023 at 6:50 PM, purplehaze said:

On 11/22/2023 at 7:12 PM, Gwathgor said:

Some other ideas for them I liked - citrine Gemshards and male Mistras:

quite a bit late, but i do have a pairing of them with female mistras, and i honestly like it much more! it's one of my favorite breeding pairs i have!

https://dragcave.net/lineage/roP3q

Edited by lexi_

More Fenghuo thoughts: red Coppers could be a good pick for a "similar colors, but more subdued" match!  Citrine Gemshards might also look good, for a "warm colors, but with contrasting accents" option. 

I can't try the Gemshard notion out until Saturday, but my (eggless, alas) Copper trial did look pretty good I think.  My friend's attempt at an Orange Sonata cross resulted in a blue egg, but the parents do look great together, so I'll definitely be breeding this one for myself when Sonatas change color again!