Awdz

Enable buyers to precog what is offered in trade

It would be awesome if we could determine gender of what we are accepting before doing so.
What I picture is a 'check gender' link for each thing offered, for the initiator of a trade that is only active if we have an aeon on our scroll with the precognition ability available.

Is this even feasible?

(If this has already been suggested, apologies, I only looked through 15 pages of suggestions and could have missed it).

Support. :)

I had one point of hesitation with regards to Cantormaris eggs specifically, since Precognition is a color-changing BSA (Sophos), but I realized it wouldn't matter at all since the egg would be traded after Precognition anyway, which in turn would make the Cantormaris Itus; besides, at least three more color-changing BSAs can be executed on the egg after trade (Incubate/Iratus, Ward/Tutela, Earthquake/Motus).

Edited by 0x08

If it's feasible, that would be helpful. But I do think there might be some logistical issues. With cantos for example, like 0x08 said if the trade goes through it will turn orange anyway; that's fine. But what if someone precogs an offered canto and then declines it, or it's withdrawn? Surely the person who still has the canto shouldn't unknowingly hatch a blue just because someone else precoged it. So then should precog through a trade not affect cantos, at least when the trade doesn't go through? But then there is a weird loophole where people can enlist friends to precog cantos on trades and then still hatch them pink or whatever other colour they would have been (I can't imagine that being a game-breaking thing, but still). 

I dunno, I am not opposed but with the complicated BSA mechanisms we have nowadays it might take some figuring out.

I think I'd prefer if this suggestion was merged with this other suggestion of showing what BSAs have been used on a tradable egg/hatchling. Seems far less of a technical spaghetti to deal with and it's just better overall for the burden of precogging to fall on the one actually owning the egg/hatchling rather than leaving it to the one being offered (who will be pretty much screwed over if they don't have an available aeon or if that other person withdraws).

A related notion: I have always thought it would be nice if Precog just... showed the gender, period, for hatchlings.  If using it made the "Gender: Male"/"Gender: Female" line appear on the hatchling's page, just as if it had grown wings, then any trade partner could look at it and know, without guessing.  It's not like it can be changed, so why not just let Precog actually show it once it's been detected? 

Eggs would be trickier, since eggs don't show gender at any stage, AND their gender may change after precogging.  (If you Influenced an egg to be male, used Precog to be sure, but then offered it on a teleport that broke the Influence, it could turn out female on your trading partner's scroll after being accepted.)  I'd be fine with eggs continuing to be mysteries, personally, but for the purposes of this suggestion thread, maybe using Precog could become a different gender indicator, e.g. "Gender: Male (Precognition)" / "Gender: Female (Precognition)" as a sort of warning to traders that BSAs can potentially alter it.  Alternate wording, such as "Gender: Male (may be influenced)" or "Gender: Male (alterable)" or whatever is fine, too.

Well, we already know that influence doesn't' hold up, so why should a precogged sex ?

22 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Well, we already know that influence doesn't' hold up, so why should a precogged sex ?

If I understand what you're referring to-- Precog remains after trade, IF the egg wasn't also Influenced. Because the trade erases Influence, naturally that'll make the pre-trade Precog irrelevant, but if there was no Influence then the Precog remains correct.

That still leaves the recipient not knowing whether the egg was or wasn't influenced. So still now knowing if the precog will hold. If they want a particular sex, they can influence the egg themselves., If the egg is past being influenced by the recipient - it could still lose the influence and end up as the sex they didn't want.

Don't get me wrong - I think this is a good idea - but it's only reliable for hatchies.

Could be that an Influenced egg will show in trade as "gender unknown" or "this egg has been influenced, so its gender may change after trade" or something.

It's useful for low-time eggs that can no longer be influenced, too.

I support it as an idea, but do agree that there should be slight adjustments to make it reliable for eggs.

53 minutes ago, Keileon said:

It's useful for low-time eggs that can no longer be influenced, too.

The only issue with that is that there's no guarantee the egg wasn't influenced before it became too low to influence so if you precog it and then it gets traded there's no guarantee that it'll be the same gender.

I do, though, like your suggestion of a note about it having been influenced and then indicating that that will wear off after trade and it may not be the gender it was precog'd as after all--that neatly removes the issue, IMO.

I think the issue could also be solved by having this idea implemented alongside the "see what BSAs have been used on an egg/hatchling" idea--just highlight that info somewhere on the trade page and make it clear which effects will wear off after being teleported.

Does this side request to the original need a thread of its own:?I would love precog to be available to someone OFFERING a trade, without their having to undo the trade to use it. I have just offered someone a very low time egg, and I don't want to undo the trade to check (I forgot, OK ?) - but why can't I check the sex of an egg I own, while it waits ?