stardust_andbones

new scroll layout options?

I tried searching the forums for a suggestion like this and I couldn't find anything. But there could be something buried, so I apologize if this is a duplicate suggestion!

I think it'd be great if we were given some layout options for our scrolls. Not how to sort, but how we actually see the dragons. Instead of just a long list where we scroll down for ages, we could have grid style layouts options, so things could be more condensed? I'd love to be able to see more of my dragons on my screen without need to scroll down the page endlessly. Having things horizontally instead of vertically would help things look better I think. Of course this would be just an option and not mandatory or even default. Just available if people would like a different look when viewing a scroll.  

again, I apologize if this is already suggested. I tried searching and couldn't find anything, but I could be bad at searching! :)

I think this would be really nice, in particular I've always liked the 'grid custom sort' layout and I wish we could actually display our scroll the way it looks instead of only using the grid for sorting.   Possible issues with how to display the view/etc stats in a view like that, but really I don't see any reason adult dragons need to display that info all the time anyways so maybe just growing things could show it.

In general I think it would be nice to have a more condensed way to organize/show our scroll, especially for those of us who often fiddle with large amounts of dragons at once (naming, sorting, counting, whatever). 

This

image.jpeg.e37c5fdfb3b1861365c01b21c0879fe6.jpeg

compared to

image.jpeg.73fc506676f717a62fdccbdd5c8e2d21.jpeg

this, for instance. The grid sort isn't perfect as-is, it would need added info like gender at least, but it's just such a better way to see more dragons at a glance. And besides grid sorting, even if it's just like two rows of dragons instead of the current one, that would still help a lot.

yes, something like that is exactly what i mean! :)

i think it'd be possible and easy to even put all the regular info directly below their photo; name, views, clicks, gender etc. can all neatly be placed by their photo. Name above, with the gender icon next to it, then below the views, unique views and clicks, and their photo can serve as the action link as it does now, just omitting the actual text link that says "action". 

and since this would be just an option, not the default, no one would need to use it if they don't like it/don't want to, but i'd love to see more of my dragons on my screen instead of scrolling for what feels like a life time. 

Okay, I just decided to make a mock up picture based on what was suggested.

GQGgyNQ.png

First, I honestly can't say this is "better" layout. It just feels more cluttered to me.

Second... since the custom sort tiles have 7 tiles per row, in case of displaying...

• ...100 dragons per page, we would have 14 complete rows + 2 tiles at bottom
  • ...250 dragons per page, we would have 35 complete rows + 5 tiles at bottom
  • ...500 dragons per page, we would have 71 complete rows + 3 tiles at bottom

These numbers are just based on what I've observed as most commonly used as the scroll sizes grow slowly. And how this would work on mobile too?

2 hours ago, stardust_andbones said:

their photo can serve as the action link as it does now, just omitting the actual text link that says "action".

Just so I understand correctly... if the sprite is going to lead to actions page, how is one supposed to get to the view page to look at the lineage for example? Do they have to go through the actions and then click on the dragon to get there? It would only add extra click to the process, which could be quite a hindrance to some breeders, who check lineages on weekly basis.

If it were up to me however, I'd go with something like this as a layout.

dcSKNDH.png

Would work with full-size sprites as well. It could be  up to user which one they would prefer.

qDoN9Bx.png

I'd run with just the names, to be honest. Clean and tidy. Like the one HeatherMarie mocked up, but with sex added. The mockups with more info look very cluttered.

I like the thought. I also like HeatherMarie's mockup, looks much cleaner than the ones with the view stats. Personally I feel that not seeing the view info and not having the direct action link can be seen as a tradeoff for having a more condensed layout.

Given that stats are entirely useless information for the grand majority of dragons owned, there's no reason to add them to any condensed info mock-up.

Unfortunately, one large problem with tiles is that there's no dead or cracked egg images for lineage tiles.

Edited by Shadowdrake

3 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I'd run with just the names, to be honest. Clean and tidy. Like the one HeatherMarie mocked up, but with sex added. The mockups with more info look very cluttered.

I agree. Then clicking the image could take you to the view page with all that other info on it, just as it does now.

32 minutes ago, Shadowdrake said:

Given that stats are entirely useless information for the grand majority of dragons owned, there's no reason to add them to any condensed info mock-up.

Exactly.

32 minutes ago, Shadowdrake said:

Unfortunately, one large problem with tiles is that there's no dead or cracked egg images for lineage tiles.

But they could be created, no?

Edited by purplehaze

4 hours ago, Moonlightelf said:

Just so I understand correctly... if the sprite is going to lead to actions page, how is one supposed to get to the view page to look at the lineage for example? Do they have to go through the actions and then click on the dragon to get there? It would only add extra click to the process, which could be quite a hindrance to some breeders, who check lineages on weekly basis.

Apologize, I misspoke - I meant that clicking on the photo of the sprite could lead to the view page as it does now.

Like I mentioned, it wouldn't be the default or forced on anyone, just an option to view your scroll differently if you'd like. The default would remain as it does now, how we see scrolls currently.

I personally would prefer a grid style so I'm scrolling less. I don't like that I have to scroll forever or have a ton of multiple pages, so I think it could be a good middle ground for those who might want something different :)

I feel like it could be left up to TJ how many to put in a row (to maybe help with 'extras' at the bottom) and even what info to display or not. To me, the main want here is just a more efficient way to see more of my dragons at once without having to scroll endlessly all the time. And as has been mentioned, info like view/etc stats aren't very important for adults and frozen hatchlings so it's not a huge deal if those were left out or only shown for growing things. 

I didn't know that lineage-tiles don't show dead eggs correctly, that's interesting but I doubt it would be a hard thing to fix for a grid-type view. @Shadowdrake why are fogs a problem? Do you mean they wouldn't show correctly, like dead eggs, or do you mean something else? When I go to grid custom sort the fogs show the same as they do on my scroll...

1 hour ago, HeatherMarie said:

Do you mean they wouldn't show correctly, like dead eggs, or do you mean something else? When I go to grid custom sort the fogs show the same as they do on my scroll...

There's no way to distinguish fogged s1 hatchies from fogged eggs here, unlike on scroll where there's a "type" column. He *could* add it in parentheses, but that increases the crowding factor.