Kazeko

Holiday pygmies/drakes/2h?

Having reread my post, I'd like to add that I wouldn't mind non-Halloween holidays *if* they don't break the gender patterns for that holiday's releases. 

(Valentine releases always cycle female-male-female-male-female, Christmas releases go female-female-male-male-female.) 

As long as the nonstandard holiday dragon didn't cause the pattern to change (e.g. a female Valentine followed by a Pygmy Valentine would then be followed by a male Valentine, no matter what gender the Pygmy was), I think they could be fun!

On 2/20/2021 at 9:39 AM, camelia2 said:

I support. We have few drakes/pygmy, but they are GORGEOUS. Do you know how many times I was in 'how gorgeous this new holiday looks with Honey!....oh wait...' way too many 😢

And since pumpkin set a precedent, at least 1/holiday should exist

The Glaucus is the one that always gets me. Whenever I am skimming the breeds list to see what I want to breed with a new holiday my eye always stops on Glaucus and then I have to say "Oh. Nevermind..."

I know it was boring when all we could breed with pumpkins was the original pygmies, but we have 19 breeds of pygmies now. That's plenty to pick and choose from. In fact a new regular holiday dragon is always a little demoralizing, especially for Xmas and Vday, because we only get two CBs apiece and there are hundreds of standard sprites, so getting all the pairings I want is impossible. With a Christmas pygmy or Valentine drake, I could actually have the chance to acquire all my favorite pairings from it, and they would additionally feel different than usual because it would be all mates I usually don't get to use.

I'd cheer, that's all I'm saying. 🙂  There are enough nonstandard breeds at this point for it not to feel boring at all.

I wouldn't mind seeing DC drake/two-headed/Pygmys for non-main holidays [ex. A Clover Pygmy for St. Patrick's day]...though I don't think that would quite count as Holiday by DC standards and more a general release.

As for being for the main Holidays- I'm a little indifferent. On the one hand - it would breathe new life into some of the other groups and opens the door for some new lineages. Plus, it would generate excitement and encourage breeding of said dragons.

On the other hand - there would only be so many combinations of said lineages [ex. There's only 12 DC Drakes - with a Halloween* Drake that's only 13 new lineages (one with the Halloween Drake x current Drakes, the 13th being Hallo-Drake x Hallo-Drake). However a 'standard' halloween dragon gets 220 new possible lineages [again new-hallo x existing breed, new-hallo x new-hallo] - which after the novelty wears off...the Drake/Pygmy/two-head is back in the same boat as before.

TL/DR: Holiday non-standard dragon added - great! But if not, no big deal and DC goes on as it currently is.

*I picked Halloween because the dragon is not single gender limited

3 hours ago, sorenna said:

Having reread my post, I'd like to add that I wouldn't mind non-Halloween holidays *if* they don't break the gender patterns for that holiday's releases. 

(Valentine releases always cycle female-male-female-male-female, Christmas releases go female-female-male-male-female.) 

As long as the nonstandard holiday dragon didn't cause the pattern to change (e.g. a female Valentine followed by a Pygmy Valentine would then be followed by a male Valentine, no matter what gender the Pygmy was), I think they could be fun!

To me this would be breaking the pattern because males would now be in the wrong years going forward.

9 minutes ago, DragonLady86 said:

To me this would be breaking the pattern because males would now be in the wrong years going forward.

They need to stay in the same pattern, to my mind.

Valentine releases - female-male-female-male-female, Christmas releases - female-female-male-male-female.

Whether standard or not.

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

They need to stay in the same pattern, to my mind.

Valentine releases - female-male-female-male-female, Christmas releases - female-female-male-male-female.

Whether standard or not.

Can I ask why?  Doing that would break every 'sequential' lineage project anybody might have going and been working on for years, so what's the upside?  I've seen people doing, say, Prize or metal spirals where the males and females are Valentines starting with 09s and going up to the present, because they alternate each year.  And there's things like this EG I have, where the Valentines make a pattern in the lineage because of the gender changes, and I've seen similar multibreed EG projects with Christmases.

What would be the benefit of introducing a holiday dragon that has the "right" gender for the pattern but derails the possibilities for breeding with that pattern? 

I think it would be nice if the nonstandard holidays followed a pattern of their own, if there's more than one of them, but I don't think they should be included in the overall sequence, because it would mess with people's breeding plans.  If there's something I'm missing, though, I'm open to info!

Edited by sorenna

I would love to see nonstandard holiday dragons. I wouldn't mind even seeing a double release (of pygmies or two-headed) to more quickly expand the holiday nonstandard pool.

I would be really disappointed if the only holiday released was limited breeding group type because the variety just isn't there like it is for the standard breeding group dragons. Pygmies have 19 breeds, and both drakes and 2heads have fewer than 15 options each. And it's not just lack of many options, it's lack of color variety as well, particularly among drakes.

It would be mitigated if it were released alongside a standard breeding group type, so there would be both a regular group and a limited group release, but otherwise I feel very meh-trending-toward-negative about limited group holiday releases.

Hey, aren't you one of those with the power to add to those groups? XD

Regarding the gender pattern on 2-CB holidays: just make 2 Valentine's Pygmy releases in a row and all will be good. Or 4 for christmas (e.g. male drake, male two-headed, female drake, female two-headed) and then back to regular for a bit.

11 hours ago, DragonLady86 said:

9 hours ago, sorenna said:

Can I ask why?  Doing that would break every 'sequential' lineage project anybody might have going and been working on for years, so what's the upside?  I've seen people doing, say, Prize or metal spirals where the males and females are Valentines starting with 09s and going up to the present, because they alternate each year.  And there's things like this EG I have, where the Valentines make a pattern in the lineage because of the gender changes, and I've seen similar multibreed EG projects with Christmases.

What would be the benefit of introducing a holiday dragon that has the "right" gender for the pattern but derails the possibilities for breeding with that pattern? 

I think it would be nice if the nonstandard holidays followed a pattern of their own, if there's more than one of them, but I don't think they should be included in the overall sequence, because it would mess with people's breeding plans.  If there's something I'm missing, though, I'm open to info!

Because of what DragonLady86 said. I see the gender pattern itself as important. SO sure - take two years out for a pair of drakes.

26 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Hey, aren't you one of those with the power to add to those groups? XD

Regarding the gender pattern on 2-CB holidays: just make 2 Valentine's Pygmy releases in a row and all will be good. Or 4 for christmas (e.g. male drake, male two-headed, female drake, female two-headed) and then back to regular for a bit.

This works fine for me.