Infinis

Get Rid of Name Exclusivity

13 minutes ago, Dogmage999 said:

And here is why I barely use the forums- people here are too toxic and controlling about why their dragons are so special and deserve unique names. 

Please explain to me who here is being 'toxic' and why? People are going to be defensive if other people are trying to take away something the first side wants, no matter what that thing may be. I like my names. It feels good for me to know it is unique and helps me keep track of my dragons and maybe even make up stories for them and not be talking about any other dragon. Nothing about my mindset is toxic. It is just something we like so are fighting for, it is the same with your side. This is a debate, what is 'toxic' is insulting a people during a debate.

I name my dragons what I wish and want other people to be able to do likewise. I like it when I find that someone else shares a common interest with me and names their dragons in similar ways/after similar things. What I don't like is having to fiddle around with names to get them to work because they've taken. I do agree on their being no middle ground that will satisfy everyone though

4 hours ago, Dogmage999 said:

I shouldn’t have to find another game simply because of something like names. There ISN’T another game exactly like Dragon Cave.
And here is why I barely use the forums- people here are too toxic and controlling about why their dragons are so special and deserve unique names. 

Being possessive over names is so dumb. Give me five good reasons to convince me exclusive names are good.

So, tell me--why should I have to find another game because you felt so entitled to get your way you demanded a fundamental aspect of the game that cannot have a middle ground be removed?  Go on, tell me why that's the case.  Why your enjoyment is so much more important than that of those who enjoy this game because of aspects like this?  Especially if you can just then waltz into any other game we might gravitate to and demand the same changes?  Why should we have to give up an aspect of the game we actually enjoy because you decided you wanted to play a game that didn't cater to your tastes and then threw a fit about it?  If anything I'd say it's more toxic to go "you don't deserve to keep playing and enjoying the game as it's been, I deserve to have my way more, and if you get mad about me wanting to strip out things you like then you're toxic".

Also, lol, this is easy.  These are all great reasons to me, though I bet you'll just go "no, I don't agree, those are BAD" because you won't accept any reason as good enough.

1.  view/n/[name] link is easy to use and navigate--it means no extra, clunky use of of external lists to copy-past links directly and doesn't rely on having a great memory (which some of us do not for a variety of reasons that can't be "fixed")

2.  Coming up with unique names is fun

3.  There's precious little to set dragons apart in this game--a Red dragon is a Red dragon and is identical to all the thousands of other Red dragons.  Names are instantaneous and can't be arbitrarily denied/accepted based on another person's personal interpretation of guidelines.

4.  The game itself is built on first-come-first-serve mentality

5.  Because demanding changing a mutually exclusive aspect to the opposite with no recourse for anybody who actually likes it when people could have very easily not started playing a game incompatible with their desires is ridiculous

You may be tempted to say "Well, we can just do X" for some of these--but you cannot fix all of these with any solutions especially not those that would be most likely to be implemented and there's no guarantee that extra solutions would even be done.  For example, a modified view/n/[name] link such as view/n/[scrollname]/[name] link or something is not guaranteed to be added along with removing exclusivity and, depending on how it works, may involve screwing over an entire section of players who want name exclusivity removed.  (If, for example, you could only have one of the same name per scroll than the people petitioning for the change over lyrical lineages are don't get anything helpful out of this at all--they get to be left out even when the change is ostensibly what they "wanted")

Edited by KageSora
typo edit

The thing about this particular request is that there is no possible middle way. Either names are unique or they aren't. They have been unique since Day One - and we all knew that when we started to play - or had it explained to us very early on when we tried a name that was taken..

As there IS no middle way that will keep everyone happy, there seems to me to be a powerful case for simply accepting the rules we all signed up to when we started to play.

I do actually agree with most of what KageSora says above - but the crucial issue is that there is no middle way - and really, then, no sensible, humane way to change what has always been a feature of the game.

8 hours ago, Ripple_Tiger said:

Please explain to me who here is being 'toxic' and why? People are going to be defensive if other people are trying to take away something the first side wants, no matter what that thing may be. [- -] Nothing about my mindset is toxic. It is just something we like so are fighting for, it is the same with your side. This is a debate, what is 'toxic' is insulting a people during a debate.

After having read the latest posts in this thread, I can't help questioning if this really is a debate that needs to continue. It is up to TJ if the naming system will ever be changed and if any other, compensational changes would be introduced in that case. I'm quite sure he is aware of this discussion.

Since there is no middle ground, it seems unlikely that anyone could come up with a new solution that would suddenly satisfy all players' wishes. Instead, the topic is continuously in the edge of becoming a bit too heated (again) and people are just getting more and more frustrated, or that's at least how it looks to me...

I totally understand how good it feels to be the first to claim a certain name, but I still have some issues with it. Think about all those new players in the future who will have even less opportunity to name their dragons the way they like. There is still a certain limit of variations for any name, and all of these variations will be taken sooner or later, which means that in a few years some names might become completely unavailable for use...

I don't want to argue and I see that both sides have their points. I personally have no idea what to do with name exclusivity, since it has been in game from the very start and people got used to this mechanic. But honestly I would love to have an opportunity to name my dragons with normal names and not something like "T er' r en' ce" etc.

And I completely agree with Tiira - this topic really becomes a bit heated. 

5 hours ago, KageSora said:

So, tell me--why should I have to find another game because you felt so entitled to get your way you demanded a fundamental aspect of the game that cannot have a middle ground be removed?  Go on, tell me why that's the case.  Why your enjoyment is so much more important than that of those who enjoy this game because of aspects like this?  Especially if you can just then waltz into any other game we might gravitate to and demand the same changes?  Why should we have to give up an aspect of the game we actually enjoy because you decided you wanted to play a game that didn't cater to your tastes and then threw a fit about it?  If anything I'd say it's more toxic to go "you don't deserve to keep playing and enjoying the game as it's been, I deserve to have my way more, and if you get mad about me wanting to strip out things you like then you're toxic".

Also, lol, this is easy.  These are all great reasons to me, though I bet you'll just go "no, I don't agree, those are BAD" because you won't accept any reason as good enough.

1.  view/n/[name] link is easy to use and navigate--it means no extra, clunky use of of external lists to copy-past links directly and doesn't rely on having a great memory (which some of us do not for a variety of reasons that can't be "fixed")

2.  Coming up with unique names is fun

3.  There's precious little to set dragons apart in this game--a Red dragon is a Red dragon and is identical to all the thousands of other Red dragons.  Names are instantaneous and can't be arbitrarily denied/accepted based on another person's personal interpretation of guidelines.

4.  The game itself is built on first-come-first-serve mentality

5.  Because demanding changing a mutually exclusive aspect to the opposite with no recourse for anybody who actually likes it when people could have very easily not started playing a game incompatible with their desires is ridiculous

You may be tempted to say "Well, we can just do X" for some of these--but you cannot fix all of these with any solutions especially not those that would be most likely to be implemented and there's no guarantee that extra solutions would even be done.  For example, a modified view/n/[name] link such as view/n/[scrollname]/[name] link or something is not guaranteed to be added along with removing exclusivity and, depending on how it works, may involve screwing over an entire section of players who want name exclusivity removed.  (If, for example, you could only have one of the same name per scroll than the people petitioning for the change over lyrical lineages are don't get anything helpful out of this at all--they get to be left out even when the change is ostensibly what they "wanted")

While I am sorry for being rude, I do have counterpoints.

1. I’ll be honest, this won’t affect me either way as I have very few dragons compared to you veterans with hundreds. That said, others have given ideas.

2. Challenges are fun. But not when they get frustrating. As someone who was spent over ten minutes trying to name a dragon something and then given up and named it three random words, this feels more like someone is enforcing their challenge rules on everyone.

3. Check Chicken Smoothie and Pokefarm Q. Nothing to set those digital critters apart from each other, but they don’t restrict names. And don’t use the “Dragon Cave is both those games” argument because it is VERY relevant here.

4. As a newer player, I take big offense to that. My experience with trading and the forums here is that if you haven’t been here for long, the community doesn’t pay much attention to you. Just because didn’t join when the site launched (I wasn’t even old enough to USE the internet) doesn’t mean I have to practically invent my own language just to name my dragons what I actually want.

5. To be fair, I didn’t know about name exclusivity until I trying naming my first dragon “Wizard”. No one does. It’s also never stated in/game, I had to ask on the forums. I can see why changing it would be bad, but just because a mechanic is uniquely and exclusive to one game does not mean it’s actually a good Mechanic. 
 Conclusion: I can see why older players like it, but I feel it harms new players by putting restrictions on the names they can use. It’s more likely to actually drive potential players away or make them quit out of frustration than actually attract players or keep them playing.But what do I know? I started actually playing in June.

54 minutes ago, Reazek said:

I totally understand how good it feels to be the first to claim a certain name, but I still have some issues with it. Think about all those new players in the future who will have even less opportunity to name their dragons the way they like. There is still a certain limit of variations for any name, and all of these variations will be taken sooner or later, which means that in a few years some names might become completely unavailable for use...

Then again - think of all the new songs that come up every DAY for lyrical lines; all the new franchises, movies, series, to name dragons after...

36 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Then again - think of all the new songs that come up every DAY for lyrical lines; all the new franchises, movies, series, to name dragons after...

Not everyone likes/wants to name their dragons after lyrical lines and I was talking about ordinary names, not lines from songs. Despite the fact that new franchises, movies, etc. appear every year, it's unfair to new players that ordinary names like the ones we use in real life or just simple words are not accessible. Let's be honest, old players did little to no effort to claim names like John, Berta, Terry and many other simple names like these. But new players now have to struggle with finding out how to name a dragon the way they want, since almost everything is already taken. I agree with some of Dogmage999's arguments - naming a dragon these days can be very frustrating. I had some sad experience with dragon naming too, when I had to sit for about 10 minutes trying to figure out how to name a dragon the way I want. Sometimes I ended up without any name at all, because I got tired of trying and wasting my time.

In my opinion, creativity in naming is good, but not when you are forced to be creative against your will. 

10 hours ago, Dogmage999 said:

While I am sorry for being rude, I do have counterpoints.

1. I’ll be honest, this won’t affect me either way as I have very few dragons compared to you veterans with hundreds. That said, others have given ideas.

2. Challenges are fun. But not when they get frustrating. As someone who was spent over ten minutes trying to name a dragon something and then given up and named it three random words, this feels more like someone is enforcing their challenge rules on everyone.

3. Check Chicken Smoothie and Pokefarm Q. Nothing to set those digital critters apart from each other, but they don’t restrict names. And don’t use the “Dragon Cave is both those games” argument because it is VERY relevant here.

4. As a newer player, I take big offense to that. My experience with trading and the forums here is that if you haven’t been here for long, the community doesn’t pay much attention to you. Just because didn’t join when the site launched (I wasn’t even old enough to USE the internet) doesn’t mean I have to practically invent my own language just to name my dragons what I actually want.

5. To be fair, I didn’t know about name exclusivity until I trying naming my first dragon “Wizard”. No one does. It’s also never stated in/game, I had to ask on the forums. I can see why changing it would be bad, but just because a mechanic is uniquely and exclusive to one game does not mean it’s actually a good Mechanic. 
 Conclusion: I can see why older players like it, but I feel it harms new players by putting restrictions on the names they can use. It’s more likely to actually drive potential players away or make them quit out of frustration than actually attract players or keep them playing.But what do I know? I started actually playing in June.

Uh, the help section very clearly states that names are unique.

image.png.ed90723362d4e8d0a96761e653d46096.png

If you couldn't be bothered to skim the help section at all--and the help section can be access without an account--then that's your fault that you didn't know they needed to be unique when you joined.  When I join a game I read through the rules, the FAQ, and the help sections or at very least give them a decent skim to make sure they're the game for me.  I've passed on multiple games that on the surface looked fun because they had some restrictions that I didn't find enjoyable.  If you can't even be bothered to do that, it's not the fault of the game and the rest of the players should not forcibly have the game changed to allow you to do what you want despite it being very clearly stated in the help section that you could not do that.

Again, give me one good reason why you should be allowed to remove functions several of us have vocally said are integral to our navigating the game itself just because you don't think names should be unique.

The entire game is first-come-first-serve.  Or do you also believe that if two people click on the same egg, then both players should get the egg rather than only whoever's click was registered first?  Because otherwise the argument can be made that it's entirely unfair that more than one person can click on a rare egg but only one person can get it.  Actually, the argument could be made for codes, too--there's absolutely an element of unfairness in not being able to get a code you wanted.

13 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

but the crucial issue is that there is no middle way

To be fair, there've been...  Like at least 2 semi-middle-ground type options suggested but the problem is they're either much more complex to implement, will continue to annoy and frustrate the "get rid of exclusivity" crowd, or will only appease some of them and will annoy the ever-loving heck out of others who don't get any benefit from it.  So even the sort of middle-ground-like options are just gonna end up upsetting people on both sides of the issue so I think they'd be very poor ideas to implement.

22 minutes ago, KageSora said:

The entire game is first-come-first-serve.  Or do you also believe that if two people click on the same egg, then both players should get the egg rather than only whoever's click was registered first?  Because otherwise the argument can be made that it's entirely unfair that more than one person can click on a rare egg but only one person can get it.  Actually, the argument could be made for codes, too--there's absolutely an element of unfairness in not being able to get a code you wanted.

Except if I were to miss out on say a Gold dragon they're always be more, not one with that exact code if it happened to be a cool code but another gold dragon nonetheless.. I like coming up with unique dragon names but every time I do it's at the expense of someone else who may have wanted that name at least equally if not more. If I were to miss out on a dragon with a cool code, well that sucks but codes are just RNG with no decisions by other players involved. 

I agree with you that people should read the rules first, but numerous changes to the game's mechanics have taken place over the years, I thought the change to non-exclusive names would have been similar. I realise now after reading the opinions of people such as yourself and Fuzzbucket that I am mistaken about that

But names are just a customisable version of codes. You will never get another dragon with the same code; I own a dragon with the code (Atemz) and I imagine that I am far from the only person in the world who'd want that code, but there's only one dragon with it. I didn't type out a name faster than anyone else, I just got really lucky with his code. Am I supposed to feel bad because someone else who might want that code will never get it? Even if I were to sabotage my own enjoyment and release him, his code will still be unavailable for everyone.

If you miss a CB gold, you have the chance to maybe spot and catch one in the future. But it does absolutely nothing to change the fact you missed that gold and you won't have it now. I don't understand how exclusive names are any different. There's always another version of the name, it just requires you to put in some time and effort - just like catching CB rares does. If you don't like expending that effort, why are you playing this game?

And if the answer is because you enjoy the game and tolerate certain aspects you don't, welcome to playing games, every single one of us playing experience the same thing. Unlike a lot of the other issues being talked about though, exclusive names aren't a factor that breaks the intention of the game - and would, upon removal, have a massively negative impact not on just the playerbase that enjoy that feature, but on every single player who relies on the associated systems to navigate the game itself.

Removing name exclusivity is an accessibility problem. Forget the significant portion of the playerbase who enjoy that feature and consider the actual mechanics of the situation. Why is "I don't want to spend time fiddling with a name" a more important argument than "I literally could not navigate this game without the /n feature"? From what I can see, the argument to remove exclusivity is all but entirely based on personal desires, but the argument to keep it has actual mechanical and accessibility reasons.

I just don't think that personal taste is a good reason to remove a feature that would, in doing so, cause an entire subsection of the playerbase to be unable to play without drastically overhauling how they play - especially because, as I think is the most important point in this entire thread, removing exclusivity does not mean that anything that replaces its functionality will be implemented.

As it is right now, those of you who want to remove exclusivity only have to keep playing the way you've been playing the entire time dragcave has existed. You're asking for a change that would drastically alter how everyone plays whether they want to or not.

Codes are randomly generated though there's no player choice on those just luck. Nor am I asking you to feel bad about having cool codes. Rather I'm saying that I feel bad knowing that choice I make to give a unique name to one of my dragons means locking other people out of that option. I want other people to have nice things too. I wish this topic had never been brought up to begin with, it seems to be brining out the worst in people - me included

2 hours ago, StarlightLion said:

removing exclusivity does not mean that anything that replaces its functionality will be implemented.

This is, I think, the single most important factor people need to keep in mind about this.

People keep trying to make suggestions based on the assumption that alternatives to a few of the issues would be implemented.  But we have no guaranteed of that.  I prefer to operate on the idea that there would simply be no alternative for the view/n/[name] link and that all existing links using that would break and the feature would simply be removed entirely from the game because that's just as much a possibility as some sort of alternative being added is.  Quite frankly, depending on how the coding works for it, it might even be more likely if it's easier to just yank it out without a replacement than to code in an alternative.  (I have no idea how that would work, if just killing the feature would cause more issues than reworking it or not--that's something only TJ could comment on)

People are legitimately asking to make the game all but unplayable to a number of us all for the sake of their personal taste.  That's not the kind of suggestion I can get behind.

6 hours ago, StarlightLion said:

Removing name exclusivity is an accessibility problem. Forget the significant portion of the playerbase who enjoy that feature and consider the actual mechanics of the situation. Why is "I don't want to spend time fiddling with a name" a more important argument than "I literally could not navigate this game without the /n feature"? From what I can see, the argument to remove exclusivity is all but entirely based on personal desires, but the argument to keep it has actual mechanical and accessibility reasons.

I just don't think that personal taste is a good reason to remove a feature that would, in doing so, cause an entire subsection of the playerbase to be unable to play without drastically overhauling how they play - especially because, as I think is the most important point in this entire thread, removing exclusivity does not mean that anything that replaces its functionality will be implemented.

As it is right now, those of you who want to remove exclusivity only have to keep playing the way you've been playing the entire time dragcave has existed. You're asking for a change that would drastically alter how everyone plays whether they want to or not.

4 hours ago, KageSora said:

This is, I think, the single most important factor people need to keep in mind about this.

People keep trying to make suggestions based on the assumption that alternatives to a few of the issues would be implemented.  But we have no guaranteed of that.  I prefer to operate on the idea that there would simply be no alternative for the view/n/[name] link and that all existing links using that would break and the feature would simply be removed entirely from the game because that's just as much a possibility as some sort of alternative being added is.  Quite frankly, depending on how the coding works for it, it might even be more likely if it's easier to just yank it out without a replacement than to code in an alternative.  (I have no idea how that would work, if just killing the feature would cause more issues than reworking it or not--that's something only TJ could comment on)

People are legitimately asking to make the game all but unplayable to a number of us all for the sake of their personal taste.  That's not the kind of suggestion I can get behind.

Two posts I totally agree with. We all knew names were exclusive when we signed up- not reading the T&C is not an excuse for not knowing - not reading it was a choice people made, just like the choice not to find out that an egg bred over the limit will abandon - stated right there in the help pages, and that holiday eggs will only stay on your scroll for 30 minutes (or is it 60) and if you don't pick one they all go. People always complain that they didn't know about the latter - and it's right there on the page when you breed them ! If people don't read, they have only themselves to blame.

We all signed up to name exclusivity - even if we didn't take the trouble to find that out right away. We didn't have to sign up.

22 hours ago, KageSora said:

Uh, the help section very clearly states that names are unique.

image.png.ed90723362d4e8d0a96761e653d46096.png

If you couldn't be bothered to skim the help section at all--and the help section can be access without an account--then that's your fault that you didn't know they needed to be unique when you joined.  When I join a game I read through the rules, the FAQ, and the help sections or at very least give them a decent skim to make sure they're the game for me.  I've passed on multiple games that on the surface looked fun because they had some restrictions that I didn't find enjoyable.  If you can't even be bothered to do that, it's not the fault of the game and the rest of the players should not forcibly have the game changed to allow you to do what you want despite it being very clearly stated in the help section that you could not do that.

Again, give me one good reason why you should be allowed to remove functions several of us have vocally said are integral to our navigating the game itself just because you don't think names should be unique.

The thing is, how many players will look at the help section for "Name"? "Name" is self explanatory, and it isn't explained ON THE NAMING PAGE.  Therefore, it only frustrates the newbie after they finally realize the time they spend trying to name their dragon was wasted... Because someone who joined ten years before the newbie even heard of the site called dibs (and perhaps they haven't even been on in years!) took that name.

And there is a very fine line between "First come first serve" for names and "This game absolutely hates new players". The current system is simply way too frustrating for new players, which may result in a lack of new players.  It feels to me like this site is trying to stop me from enjoying the game at all. I want to name my dragon something I want to, not what weird version of it is available.  

TL,DR Dragon Cave is designed to cater to veteran players only while shoving potential new players away or not allowing them to enjoy the game too.

25 minutes ago, Dogmage999 said:

The thing is, how many players will look at the help section for "Name"? "Name" is self explanatory, and it isn't explained ON THE NAMING PAGE.  Therefore, it only frustrates the newbie after they finally realize the time they spend trying to name their dragon was wasted... Because someone who joined ten years before the newbie even heard of the site called dibs (and perhaps they haven't even been on in years!) took that name.

And there is a very fine line between "First come first serve" for names and "This game absolutely hates new players". The current system is simply way too frustrating for new players, which may result in a lack of new players.  It feels to me like this site is trying to stop me from enjoying the game at all. I want to name my dragon something I want to, not what weird version of it is available.  

TL,DR Dragon Cave is designed to cater to veteran players only while shoving potential new players away or not allowing them to enjoy the game too.

I would assume any player trying to figure out what this means would check the help page.  But then, it also seems pretty self-explanatory.  I would 100% support adding the "names must be unique" to the naming page before you try to enter the name, but at this point in time the game very much does clearly tell you the reason your name was rejected if you are picking an in-use name.

image.png.272cc3ae7eb89d90ddc39fe5f456b152.png

Again, if players can't even be bothered to wander over to the help section to understand the very direct information they are told before ragequitting for not getting their way, then this is not the game for them.

Again why does your enjoyment of a game that has mechanics you agreed to that you dislike mean that the game should make itself genuinely difficult or next to impossible to navigate for other players who have come to this game because they enjoy the existing mechanics?

When I find a game that has mechanics that are the polar opposite to things that I like and that there is no way to compromise on, I get frustrated and disappointed then I move on and go play a different game.  That's life.  Not every game can be for every person and trying to strip out features that double as an accessibility feature just because you don't like not getting everything you want is not fair to other players who were here first.

There's many mechanics that can have an option or a compromise on that allows players who like the existing system to continue to enjoy it while adding some other options for players who struggle with it to work with, but this is not one of them.  You're basically saying "You existing players who enjoy and actively make use of this mechanic need to quit the game and go find another game because I want to change this game to cater to me instead".  You, as the newcomer here, are not the one who should have the right to dictate that everybody who currently enjoys the game should have that stripped away from them when you joined a game that clearly outlined this restriction in the documentation available before you even signed up.  If you can't be bothered to read through it, again, that is not our problem and you continuing to reiterate "well but who DOES that" does not make it our problem.  That's your problem if you didn't, and we should not be penalized due to your unwillingness to read the information about what is or is not allowed.

48 minutes ago, KageSora said:

I would assume any player trying to figure out what this means would check the help page.  But then, it also seems pretty self-explanatory.  I would 100% support adding the "names must be unique" to the naming page before you try to enter the name, but at this point in time the game very much does clearly tell you the reason your name was rejected if you are picking an in-use name.

image.png.272cc3ae7eb89d90ddc39fe5f456b152.png

Again, if players can't even be bothered to wander over to the help section to understand the very direct information they are told before ragequitting for not getting their way, then this is not the game for them.

Again why does your enjoyment of a game that has mechanics you agreed to that you dislike mean that the game should make itself genuinely difficult or next to impossible to navigate for other players who have come to this game because they enjoy the existing mechanics?

When I find a game that has mechanics that are the polar opposite to things that I like and that there is no way to compromise on, I get frustrated and disappointed then I move on and go play a different game.  That's life.  Not every game can be for every person and trying to strip out features that double as an accessibility feature just because you don't like not getting everything you want is not fair to other players who were here first.

There's many mechanics that can have an option or a compromise on that allows players who like the existing system to continue to enjoy it while adding some other options for players who struggle with it to work with, but this is not one of them.  You're basically saying "You existing players who enjoy and actively make use of this mechanic need to quit the game and go find another game because I want to change this game to cater to me instead".  You, as the newcomer here, are not the one who should have the right to dictate that everybody who currently enjoys the game should have that stripped away from them when you joined a game that clearly outlined this restriction in the documentation available before you even signed up.  If you can't be bothered to read through it, again, that is not our problem and you continuing to reiterate "well but who DOES that" does not make it our problem.  That's your problem if you didn't, and we should not be penalized due to your unwillingness to read the information about what is or is not allowed.

I'll be honest- Half of my point is invalid because I forgot it tells you the name is already in  use.  At the same time though, I still feel like as a new player I'm just being treated like a kid who is trying to join in on an adult discussion of veteran players and being told to go "play over there" (metaphorically) because for some reason it's so fair I should be punished because someone else owns a name that's a simple word like "Bottle". 

4 minutes ago, Dogmage999 said:

I'll be honest- Half of my point is invalid because I forgot it tells you the name is already in  use.  At the same time though, I still feel like as a new player I'm just being treated like a kid who is trying to join in on an adult discussion of veteran players and being told to go "play over there" (metaphorically) because for some reason it's so fair I should be punished because someone else owns a name that's a simple word like "Bottle". 

How is not getting a name you want "punishment"....?

Also in my case I added sth similar to tags, so that all my dragons have a name scheme similar to (breed name)(word), for example "Albino word" "Black word" "Red word" and so on. That could help ypu solve the name problem maybe?

Edited by ylangylang

Just now, ylangylang said:

How is not getting a name you want "punishment"....?

Also in my case I added tags, so that all my dragons have a name scheme similar to (breed name)(tag)? 

"punishment" in this case, is negative consequences of something. The "something" here is not joining dragcave when it launched, and the "punishment" is not being able to use the names you want just because some other player who might not even play anymore claimed it twelve years ago.

20 minutes ago, Dogmage999 said:

"punishment" in this case, is negative consequences of something. The "something" here is not joining dragcave when it launched, and the "punishment" is not being able to use the names you want just because some other player who might not even play anymore claimed it twelve years ago.

1. If it bothers you so much to the point that your enjoyment of this game has ground down to zero then stop playing this game, as that would be healthier for your well-being. A game is there to make people have fun after all-if you're not getting any enjoyment, and from your posts it certainly sounds like you are obsessed with getting this one name-if it does not serve that purpose then maybe the game isn't for you. 

2. I really hate how you are saying stuff like "not joining dragcave when it launched" "some other player who might not even play anymore claimed it twelve years ago" thereby making this out to be some sort of, older players vs newer players dynamic in which newer players are the victim, the oppressed, the perpetual loser in a game of discrimination olympics. No. It's funny how you say "some other player who might not even play anymore claimed it twelve years ago" when it used to be that inactive users would get their scroll names wiped. So the person who might have your oh-so-coveted name might be someone who joned, Idk, 6 years ago or something. Or it could be some other player who joined a day before you did. We don't know. Yet here you are, making this some sort of a privilege race wherein newer players are unjustly bereft of what is essential for their continued existence.

3. Again if you need that name so much you could use a naming scheme like CB John Green Adult or sth. 

Edited by ylangylang

1 hour ago, ylangylang said:

2. I really hate how you are saying stuff like "not joining dragcave when it launched" "some other player who might not even play anymore claimed it twelve years ago" thereby making this out to be some sort of, older players vs newer players dynamic in which newer players are the victim, the oppressed, the perpetual loser in a game of discrimination olympics. No. It's funny how you say "some other player who might not even play anymore claimed it twelve years ago" when it used to be that inactive users would get their scroll names wiped. So the person who might have your oh-so-coveted name might be someone who joned, Idk, 6 years ago or something. Or it could be some other player who joined a day before you did. We don't know. Yet here you are, making this some sort of a privilege race wherein newer players are unjustly bereft of what is essential for their continued existence.

Thank you so much for putting this point into words.

I joined in 2015. There are a lot of names that I can't have, and many names that I got lucky with and snatched up. Ultimately, getting the exact name you want absolutely is the same as getting a code you want, or getting that CB gold that just showed up in the Coast. If you are quick enough, you get it - if not, someone else does. Should new players be gifted CB rares because players who joined years before them have had a lot longer (and, if they're from far enough back, periods of much less competition) have had more chances to get the ones they have?

No, of course not, because that's absurd. You start when you start, and you start from the exact same place everyone else did. People had platinum trophy and eight eggslots when I first joined and only had (4? I think the starting number is four, it's been a while). Is it technically unfair if I have two red eggs and two pink eggs and another player with exactly the same eggs gets that Blusang we both just saw because they have an open eggslot and I don't? Maybe, but only if you judge that situation as a singular moment with no context. The reality of the matter is that the other player has been here for longer, put more effort into the game than I have, has earned those extra eggslots within the structure of the game, has already been in my position over the course of their play, and does not owe me anything.

Names, as an exclusive commodity, are not different.

edit to add: I had an incredibly positive experience as a new player, by the way. Older players frequently gifted me dragons to help get my scroll started - and I, in turn, do my best to do the same thing. Old players and new players are both core parts of the game's ecosystem, that's kind of the whole point.

Edited by StarlightLion

24 minutes ago, StarlightLion said:

Ultimately, getting the exact name you want absolutely is the same as getting a code you want, or getting that CB gold that just showed up in the Coast. If you are quick enough, you get it - if not, someone else does.

I agree with this-people have been saying that "oh but you can get another CB gold in the future" and so on, but, I think a better comparison would be this scenario: every time there is a New Release I inevitably see, about 2 or 3 days after the initial release, people in the trade section asking for "NR egg or hatchling caught on release day" in exchange for whatever they are offering. To those people, yeah, sure, the NR dragon is here to stay forever, but it won't be one that is caught on the release date.  Which is what makes it special to them. If they fail to trade for NR dragons caught on the release date, then it's gone forever. I think that's a more apt comparison to names, don't you? 

3 hours ago, Dogmage999 said:

Nah, that's just how games with some exclusive aspects are.

Is it a punishment to join a game that makes no secret that it retires content and then to be upset that you do not get to access the retired content?  No, because that was something you should have known going in and if you're not the sort of person who can handle joining a game where there are things you will never be able to access then you should not play games that have limited, exclusive, or retired content.  I legit just do not play games if I'm so sad that certain content is retired and I'll never get to experience it it would interfere with my ability to enjoy the rest of the game.

3 hours ago, ylangylang said:

I really hate how you are saying stuff like "not joining dragcave when it launched" "some other player who might not even play anymore claimed it twelve years ago" thereby making this out to be some sort of, older players vs newer players dynamic in which newer players are the victim, the oppressed, the perpetual loser in a game of discrimination olympics.

This is the weirdest part to me.  It's not as if all of us older players have all of our dragons long since named and don't name anything now and the only names we have are names we've been lording over the newbies for years and years.  I literally named a bunch of dragons last month.  I'm still naming dragons.  I plan to name more dragons later this month--I like to do them in batches, whenever a name strikes my fancy.  Older players may have had first crack at the mega ultra super simple common names, but we've hardly used up all of the halfway decent names available.  Which, by the way, is entirely subjective.

A name somebody wants could literally be taken minute before they try to name something that way, it's not all older players hoarding all the good names.  I've gotten quite a few names this year alone that I think are quite fun and interesting.

Also older players have run into the issue of "I couldn't have the name I wanted" since the beginning.  I named a dragon with a double space between the two words back in '09 because the name I wanted was taken--turns out the name was later freed up and I missed my chance to snap it up because there's a dragon from '17 that now bears the name I wanted lol.  So this is not something that only new players within the last few years are running into.  This is something we've been working around since the beginning.

Also I run into this even now!  Plenty of times recently I've tried a name only to find it taken.  I just shrug and go "Okay, I'll try something else" because that's the way the game works.

It's literally not "old vs new" unless you're determined to make it into that divide in order to have some sort of "woe is me, I deserve what others have" thing going on.

1 hour ago, ylangylang said:

I agree with this-people have been saying that "oh but you can get another CB gold in the future" and so on, but, I think a better comparison would be this scenario: every time there is a New Release I inevitably see, about 2 or 3 days after the initial release, people in the trade section asking for "NR egg or hatchling caught on release day" in exchange for whatever they are offering. To those people, yeah, sure, the NR dragon is here to stay forever, but it won't be one that is caught on the release date.  Which is what makes it special to them. If they fail to trade for NR dragons caught on the release date, then it's gone forever. I think that's a more apt comparison to names, don't you? 

That's a really good analogy.  That feels a lot more accurate to me.

Edited by KageSora
typo correction lol

I just think it's pretty goofy to act like people who enjoy having exclusive names for the sake of exclusive names are somehow acting entitled. It's part of the enjoyment of the game for me. I hunt codes for the same reason, I like having them, I like that they're unique, they feel special to me.  When creature collecting games like this DON'T have name exclusivity I feel a bit disappointed, but I would never go on to suggest they should add it because want it, so I find it equally silly to come along and demand a change like this. I respect that people want different things and unfortunately there's no compromise that will make us all happy, but it's so rude to just handwave away the people who enjoy name exclusivity as part of the game as snobbish or entitled. My enjoyment is just as important as yours.