Nephichar

Extra egg

I was grabbing some eggs when I realized I somehow went over my egg limit and got 7 eggs. I have a silver trophy. I don't know why this happened.

Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 6.02.05 PM.png

Did you breed a celestial dragon?

11 minutes ago, Nephichar said:

But I had the bred eggs before I grabbed the caveborn eggs that surpassed the limit.

Please don't double post - if you have something additional to add to your post and you're the last poster, edit it. Double posting is spam and may result in a warn.

Thanks for reporting this.

Sorry, I'm still new to the forum, and don't know much. I'll make sure to edit instead in the future though! :D

Not sure how this was done with an egg, you can get over the limit with hatchlings if you are locked then successfully revive one or more dead ones. 

I think it was both my connection and Dragon cave being slow?

Forgot to include this in my confusion, but when I clicked on the eggs, it brought me to the link, but the page saying you claimed the egg didn't load. I thought it was a weird glitch, since I could access everything else fine, so I tried a couple other eggs, and I somehow got all of them, raising me above the limit.

Had that a few days ago while I was hunting the AP. Clicked two eggs and the site took ages to load them. So I clicked another two that also took ages to load...

When they finally loaded I got all four and was over my limit for eggs as I already had 5 eggs before.

2 hours ago, Nephichar said:

I think it was both my connection and Dragon cave being slow?

More the cave being slow to load than your connection. My connection was fine at the moment, only the 'get' pages were really slow to respond on that day.

I've had this kind of thing happen to me years ago. The reason was severe (hourly) lag combined with me breeding several pairs in rapid succession. I wanted to test sunrise/sunset eggs for ND experiments, and ideally, they should be created mere seconds after their hatching window (to avoid them hatching prematurely).

Back then, we had an egg limit of 4+1 (the last had to be bred), and I ended up with 7.

Around that time (+/- 2 years?) I saw someone report a slightly similar issue with breeding their Yulebuck during the season. The breeding result was postponed due to lag, the person hit the back button and hit "breed" again on the same mate - and ended up with (I think it was) 7 eggs from that particular pairing. Something else went very wrong, though, since these eggs were not considered held eggs, so the owner didn't have to choose one egg to keep and abandon the rest. Not to mention they ended up with 9 or so eggs on their scroll in total. (We still were at the limit of 4+1 for everyone back then.)

ETA: Something similar about double holiday breeding once happened to my daughter, but I think she had to choose one egg (or one from each clutch?) to keep. I'm not 100% sure on the details any more, though.

Edited by olympe

In the future, please refrain from bumping topics with information that is almost a year old. It isn't helpful unless the information provided is recent.

On 8/16/2020 at 5:31 PM, purpledragonclaw said:

In the future, please refrain from bumping topics with information that is almost a year old. It isn't helpful unless the information provided is recent.

When the initial topic is recent, and people are posting old information that shows it's been happening for a long time, isn't that in itself useful? At the very least it would help TJ determine what parts of site code to look at to see if these instances are related. It's rare enough that the year-or-more-old information may still be helpful for determining why it happens.

On 8/17/2020 at 12:31 AM, purpledragonclaw said:

I actually think this is helpful. Because it's just another instance over the years where rapid actions that gain you eggs - be it multiple breedings or hunting for eggs - combined with lag results in extra eggs on people's scrolls. That's the common theme. Breeding or hunting faster than the site can process at the time.

If I see a thread bumped, I'm assuming it's with new information; I'm assuming someone has again recently hit this issue. To bring a thread back to the top of Help with information that's so old is not a good use of thread bumping.

I've picked up an extra egg on August 7th.  The ninth egg arrived on my scroll due to trading. It came just as I realized I had made an offer of hatchlings without having room to accept an egg and was trying to figure out what to do, so I saw it appear.  To the best of my knowledge, there was no unusual lag problem at the time.

8-7.PNG

Apparently this is really easy to replicate by breeding during lag. 

image.png.70cfa586939dfea0074769ae00aeac42.png

I was getting very slow loading pages while trying to breed some Terrae, clicked 3 of them to breed while I had 6 eggs and because of the lag they apparently loaded at the same time, so I ended up with 9. Then I did it again out of curiosity after abandoning the eggs, with the same result. Can't keep those on me either because I'm waiting on a trade but this is definitely still a thing that can happen, quite easily apparently.

I also ended up with 9 eggs when I was breeding during lag recently, with one egg slot free before breeding. I think it was 1 - 2 weeks ago.

(I panicked and abandoned one as fast as possible - although I think nothing bad should happen, right? The cave is not just going to abandon a random egg from my scroll when I accidently own too many?)

Well, you won't lose one when you go down a trophy level, you're just locked for a bit longer. So I suspect this would be the same.

4 hours ago, Confused Cat said:

I also ended up with 9 eggs when I was breeding during lag recently, with one egg slot free before breeding. I think it was 1 - 2 weeks ago.

(I panicked and abandoned one as fast as possible - although I think nothing bad should happen, right? The cave is not just going to abandon a random egg from my scroll when I accidently own too many?)

If you keep an extra egg, this would be against the ToS, basically abusing a loophole.

You agree that you will not attempt to "cheat" or bypass any site restrictions in any way. Cheating includes, but is not limited to:
  • Abuse of any unintended behaviors in the site’s code.

In a worst-case scenario, you might get your scroll burnt.

7 hours ago, olympe said:

If you keep an extra egg, this would be against the ToS, basically abusing a loophole.

Abuse is when you purposely exploit it to get and keep extra eggs. Ending up with a single extra accidentally is not abuse.  As Ruby eyes pointed out, this happens in a few normal scenarios and the only consequence has been it taking longer to unlock. 

That's because TJ hasn't taken the time to look at the issue yet. However, if you get the extra egg by accident, keeping it is an abuse of unintended behavior in the site's code. And even if he won't burn your scroll for that, per se, he just might look a lot closer for any kind of (potential) rule-beaking and burn it then. (This I know from personal experience. For me, it all started with an extra egg or two, acquired just as accidentally...) But if you feel secure it won't happen, sure, go for it. You have been warned.

As many times as I and others went over the hatchling limit from having zombie fodder revived rather than zombie and being told it was such a niche case to not worry about, I'm not worried about it.

I apologize for adding old info here. I thought it might be helpful since I was also hit with this issue but since only recent info is needed, I'll delete my above post. I'll stay out of topics like these from now on to avoid landing in trouble. Sorry.

Edited by animatedrose
old post now erased and hidden, i'll go now