Lagie

Compulsive Posters' Anonymous Volume Twenty

It's 2021.

We should totally be able to pet pets.

You can pet them in Warframe (but sadly not my girl Venari T.T)

Edit: We swapped two of our cats to wet food several months ago. They love but it kinda makes them smell XD

Edited by Fortune86

Wet cat food does tend to be smelly.

Mine at home get only dry. The shop cat has both.

LAGIE!

*huggles*

Why you giving the puppers fish oil?

Spirit!

*huggles back*

Skin issues, I think. She's not my dog so I'm just following instructions (pic on previous page).

What kinda skin issues.

Cause I noticed my two has a bit of a itchy issue and wonder is some oil would help.

9 minutes ago, Lagie said:

Wet cat food does tend to be smelly.

Mine at home get only dry. The shop cat has both.

Mine have both, too. My first cat only had dry and then I had to pay for a stone to get removed. An Oxalate, no less, not even a Struvite one! Cats are not even supposed to get the Oxalate stones, they are reserved for humans who eat too much meat, dairy products and red beets! :( If you remove meat from a cat's diet, what's left?! Fur!

(Either way, the male cat loves his fresh wet food, the female one prefers it dried to a lump of rubber a whole day later. So she usually gets the one that the male one doesn't like at all - with liver!)

((She also prefers old dried grass over fresh grass - she's weird!))

2 hours ago, DragonSpirit009 said:

What kinda skin issues.

Cause I noticed my two has a bit of a itchy issue and wonder is some oil would help.

No clue. I can ask when the owner gets back. The less smelly solution us to add an egg to their meal.

2 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

the female one prefers it dried to a lump of rubber a whole day later.

That is unusual!

Urgh. The wood oil that leaked yesterday is still really smelly.

1 minute ago, Lagie said:

Urgh. The wood oil that leaked yesterday is still really smelly.

In other news, at least your sense of smell didn't get zonked by a corona virus XD

2 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

In other news, at least your sense of smell didn't get zonked by a corona virus XD

Very true! I was using peanut butter each morning to check that. I guess I'm only half-protected with the first shot?

37 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

what was it they said? I forgot but some of the smells that you have trouble can't seem to smell is peppermint and coconut and garlic. Strong scents. The loss of ability to smell affects your sense of taste, too.

I think you're in the clear since you've been on a 'stinky things' hunt.

I want to pot up my new pentas! But it's going to be a bright clear day, best to wait until late afternoon. I wonder if my monarda (bee balm) is going to be able to make a comeback.

Edited by Long_Before_Sunrise

3 hours ago, Lagie said:

The cats here wanted breakfast at 6 a.m.

as i saw somewhere, probably a meme - "there's no snooze button on a hungry cat" (but i keep trying!) XD

as for cat food, our kitties get both - canned food three times a day (they get about a 1/4 to 1/3 of a 3 ounce can (the little cans) of wet food in the morning and dinner time.... sometimes hubby will feed them second breakfast in the late morning (yes, they're Hobbits).  throughout the day they have access to feeders that open to them - they're all chipped except Blackie, so he can't get into the feeder.  a second feeder is programmed for everyone but Ash, he has to go upstairs to get some exercise, he's a little thickums.  we might have to reprogram that one to not accept Luna too, she's more than just floof!  the cats also have three fountains that hubby cleans on a weekly schedule (two one week, one the next.)  he'd read somewhere that cats don't like standing water, so we have moving water! XD

i also has an irony - i have four new eggs, and right now only one Red to incubate if i want.  the eggs would be ready for me to incubate on wednesday*... but i wouldn't be able to hatch all four, just the one.  the other three would have Reds ready for them... after they hatch!!

*i incubate them once they get to 4d 23h or less, so they don't get sick before they hatch. everyone does these things differently. :)

so today all i'm doing is staring at eggs, even though i want to do some breeding.  i'll wait until after whatever is planned for April Fools. i have a name in mind if i get another upside-down Mint though!

5 minutes ago, trystan said:

so today all i'm doing is staring at eggs, even though i want to do some breeding.  i'll wait until after whatever is planned for April Fools. i have a name in mind if i get another upside-down Mint though!

Yeah. I'm staring at fogballs. I picked up an 8th egg when the gold hatched, influenced, then refogged everyone.  i forgot to incubate but I'll do that tomorrow, I guess.

Smell and taste are definitely connected.

6 minutes ago, Lagie said:

Smell and taste are definitely connected.

i really can't imagine what it'd be like if i couldn't smell or taste, actually.  it kinda scares me.

5 minutes ago, trystan said:

i really can't imagine what it'd be like if i couldn't smell or taste, actually.  it kinda scares me.

Yes. Taste is a large part of what prompts you to eat. If you can't taste, you might as well invest in some human meal substitute kibble. 

There's a story in one of James Herriot's vet books about a boxer dog that had a persistent overwhelming case of flatulence. At the end of the story, he asks the man who finally took the dog how he could stand it. The man said he'd lost his sense of smell and taste years ago and couldn't smell anything.

29 minutes ago, trystan said:

he'd read somewhere that cats don't like standing water, so we have moving water!

I have 1 fountain, 1 bowl for fresh water and 1 bowl for old water. Like, not standing water but lying-dead-on-the-ground water XD

Female cat disassembles the fountain and then licks her paws dry. Male cat loves the dead water, but it's standing on the balcony, so the rest of the time, both drink from the bowl of fresh water.

They do love their variety!

(remember that halloween event story where you run from an Omen with a bucket of water because they hate "running water"? XD)

15 minutes ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

If you can't taste, you might as well invest in some human meal substitute kibble. 

uhm.... yuck?!

13 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

I have 1 fountain, 1 bowl for fresh water and 1 bowl for old water. Like, not standing water but lying-dead-on-the-ground water XD

Female cat disassembles the fountain and then licks her paws dry. Male cat loves the dead water, but it's standing on the balcony, so the rest of the time, both drink from the bowl of fresh water.

LOL!

our cat Max, who we said goodbye to last march (2020) loved to bat a the water bowl.  Max and Blackie always had a bowl of fresh water - they are "fresh-water cats" after all - but Max loved to play with the water.  i have a video on my instagram somewhere, i'll try to post a link to it.  i'll bet he would have tried to play with the fountain water too! XD

The previous male cat used to gently touch the water with his paw, then lick that thoroughly. He was nearly blind (we assumed) so trying to drink the regular way he always dunked his nose into the water and then sneezed for several minutes.

i had a cat that did that too, but Socks wasn't blind.   He did that only when he drank milk, he would ever-so-slightly touch the surface the milk with his paw, and then proceed to lick and lick his paw for quite a lonnnnnng time. it was kinda cute

found Max, hopefully y'all can watch the little vid

https://www.instagram.com/p/6s1gB0KCk7/?igshid=puntxnoyy6jm

Edited by trystan
typos, of course

38 minutes ago, trystan said:

uhm.... yuck?!

Well, without your sense taste, you wouldn't know it was yuck. I bet some competition bodybuilders would consider the inability to taste a bonus, considering some of the concoctions they chug down.

The dipping the paw in the water and licking it off is common cat behavior. One of my 'rather drink soapy sink water than fresh' and lick the faucet for the few drops cats did that quite often, and the other one I'm thinking of was a girl cat, too. 

1 hour ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

Yes. Taste is a large part of what prompts you to eat. If you can't taste, you might as well invest in some human meal substitute kibble. 

Supposedly, you can still "taste" textures and such, though. Softness, hardness, crunch or liquid ...

You're not suppose to give milk to cats. They love it but they're lactose-intolerant. Kefir or yogurt is better for them because the bacteria that turns the milk into kefir/yogurt eats the lactose.

Plain non-dairy liquid coffee creamer would be ok, too. That was the recommendation I gave for two very elderly sister cats that had stopped eating. We'd already tried kefir and it worked, but the owner couldn't be bothered to buy it. Instrad she buys the cats half-and-half,

and they loved it. Well, of course, they did... you also just gave them diarrhea or constipation and probably stomach aches. I gave up. Some people ask for advice and just do their own thing regardless even if you explain the why.

Years ago, I saw a tv show where they said scientifically that cats can't taste sweet things because they lacked the tastebud structure. I didn't believe that for a second. Still don't. Those research guys must have had tunnel vision and missed something.

Edited by Long_Before_Sunrise

I have two bowls outside for my community cats. One is changed daily, one sits and grows algae and gets topped up daily. Most of the kittens and cats drink... from the algae bowl. Along with the Eurasian doves, the wasps, and the bees. :rolleyes:

Different textures definitely add to a meal.

3 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Supposedly, you can still "taste" textures and such, though. Softness, hardness, crunch or liquid ...

Yeah, that's a big thing with some people with autism: the textures.

They have problems with sensory input overload.

3 minutes ago, Lagie said:

I have two bowls outside for my community cats. One is changed daily, one sits and grows algae and gets topped up daily. Most of the kittens and cats drink... from the algae bowl. Along with the Eurasian doves, the wasps, and the bees. :rolleyes:

Chlorine in the water?

10 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

yep.  but if it all had no taste? wow.  i love the different tastes!

7 minutes ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

You're not suppose to give milk to cats. They love it but they're lactose-intolerant.

Socks was the first cat we ever had - we got him in 1980, and my mom finally had to said goodbye to him in 1996 (i think).... he lived a long and happy life.  but - that was pretty much the only milk he'd have at the time it was offered - just that ever-so-slight gentle touch of milk on his paw.  but he'd lick and lick (and lick and lick and lick) like he'd soaked his paw in it.  he did also love plain yogurt.  my mom got these huge containers because she'd make a lot of things with it, and when it was empty, she's let Socks lick it.... and he could stick his whole head in there!

18 minutes ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

The dipping the paw in the water and licking it off is common cat behavior.

Socks was the only one i saw do that.  everyone else put/s their head in the bowl or fountain.  Max played with it. XD the other day, i saw Luna batting at one of the little spigots on one of the fountains we have XD

33 minutes ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

You're not suppose to give milk to cats. They love it but they're lactose-intolerant.

There is such a thing as lactose-free milk. I was so glad to find out this existed during my own phase of lactose-intolerance (irritable bowel syndrome can have the weirdest expressions ...)

Plus, most yellow cheese is pretty much lactose-free - the bacteria that turned the milk into cheese ate it (and some of them fart holes into the cheese :D)