blah

Streamline AP hunting

That's a good idea. Browser fills arent always the best at telling one website apart from another, but I'll give it a try.

I still can't think of any downside to making it optional in the first place. People who find it helpful to have all uses of fertility password locked could still keep it that way. Only people who find it an unhelpful hassle would opt out.

I think linking right to an AP egg's lineage when you pick it up would be a great idea. This also got me thinking: I haven't used the "get code" page for years, yet it pops up every time I pick up an egg. An option to just go to the view page instead of the code page when you pick up any egg would be great.

1 hour ago, pegasi1978 said:

Since you don't have to worry about anyone else around you getting onto your DC account you can always have your internet browser store your username and password. I do that with mine and all I have to do is click on the password box and it auto-populates the password for me. No typing needed. 

Since I'm not that phone-savvy - how does that work on mobile?

1 hour ago, pegasi1978 said:

Since you don't have to worry about anyone else around you getting onto your DC account you can always have your internet browser store your username and password. I do that with mine and all I have to do is click on the password box and it auto-populates the password for me. No typing needed. 

Ob yes indeed - mine is set to autofill.

2 hours ago, olympe said:

Since I'm not that phone-savvy - how does that work on mobile?

I use Chrome on my phone and when I logged in to DC "the first time" the browser had a "popup" after I logged in that asked me if I wanted to "Save Password". I clicked save, and now when I login or do an action that requires a password I don't have to.  Instead I click login to login automatically or for actions, tap the username which then fills in the password for me.

20191010_184423.jpg

20191010_184641.jpg

20191010_184806.jpg

20191010_185158.jpg

With Halloween AP hunting coming up I’d like to come back to this thread.

I’m still open to all sorts of solutions for this issue but it’s definitely something that actively keeps me away from DC, especially because I’m mostly playing on mobile now.

Could we at least be taken directly to the lineage page? No one uses the code anymore. 

Excuse me (no view either way here, but) code hunters do - and there are a LOT of them.

You can see the code directly on the dragon's lineage page too, though. That said, I'm solidly neutral on this either way, but I don't see any downside to having AP catches (or heck, all catches) direct straight to the lineage page. If we need the dragon's code/link the url is immediately available there too ^-^

26 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Excuse me (no view either way here, but) code hunters do - and there are a LOT of them.

Oh I’m one of them. 😄 I’m talking about the “get code” page for forum signatures etc. I don’t think that is used as widely anymore because we mainly use fan sites. 

Wait, I feel like I'm missing something? Is there a way to see an AP eggs lineage without actually taking it? I'm on PC, but if I click an AP egg I just get it? I never see a code or lineage page?

4 minutes ago, Zonnedauw said:

Wait, I feel like I'm missing something? Is there a way to see an AP eggs lineage without actually taking it? I'm on PC, but if I click an AP egg I just get it? I never see a code or lineage page?

No, that’s my point. I think we should be taken to the lineage page. My first post in this thread probably explains it all better. 

Oh, so do you mean that instead of getting the egg immediately, and then having to go to the process of checking the line and deciding if you want to keep it, and only then actually getting it from the AP?

Not sure how that would work out. I do think it'd suck going to the lineage page, seeing it's exactly the line you needed, and then trying to grab it only to find out someone else beat you to it.

No, I mean when you actually catch it it should take you to the lineage page first. Because when AP hunting that’s what most people want to know in order to decide whether to keep or toss the egg. 

WELL - my gripe with the AP is more that I would like it to carry a link to the biomes, and for the page with the biomes to have a direct link to the AP. I am sick of having to go to "cave" to get from one to the other. That would help ME way more !

46 minutes ago, Zonnedauw said:

Yes there is. Right click on the egg and copy it's link: there will be the egg's code, so you can either quickly replace word "abandoned" with "view" and erase the last part (use arrow keys, ctrl and ctrl+shift), or copy-paste the code into another prepared tab. This takes about a couple seconds to do on PC. But it's still tedious.

6 minutes ago, Lost_Unicorn said:

Yes there is. Right click on the egg and copy it's link: there will be the egg's code, so you can either quickly replace word "abandoned" with "view" and erase the last part (use arrow keys, ctrl and ctrl+shift), or copy-paste the code into another prepared tab. This takes about a couple seconds to do on PC. But it's still tedious.

Wow, that's actually super useful! Thanks :D

While I would love for some sort of streamlined process for AP hunting (I honestly prefer something like a "Back to AP" link rather than "Back to dragons" when you abandon something), going directly to lineage links would be so absurdly annoying - specifically when you are checking a messy. As it is, when you click the egg to its view page (after the code page) you can see if it's CB or lineaged and if you click to view the lineage you don't even have to scroll very far to really know if it's something you're interested in - you'll see it's at least a little clean and will prompt you to scroll more or it'll be obnoxious at the top (indicating messy) and you can just go back via back button to the view page to immediately access the actions if you wish to reabandon. I don't feel like hunting the egg link down wherever it is on the lineage page of a very messy line when I know immediately I don't even want it, ESPECIALLY on mobile. Even the current situation is significantly better than this. 

Going straight to the view page would be a much more informative and useful change than direct to lineage page, imo. 

Edited by schenanigans

Lots of points here. 

Grabbing eggs:

I’m kinda attached to the “get egg”-page, since I do get some excitement seeing I actually succeeded in grabbing the egg. This might be minor, but personally I think seeing the regular view page would dampen the excitement some. 
Lets you build anticipation, etc. 

But again very personal, and if the majority want to streamline the ap like a company trimming the corporate structure, then that’s the will of the majority, and I won’t bring it up further.

What I do want to protest on is being taken to the lineage page. This one with some proper points:

1. It only benefits users who care for lineage, and will greatly affect every single player.

2. It encourages users to think about the lineage of a dragon.

3. Larger lineages will be a pain to load, and make it even more difficult to yeet an unwanted egg. After all, if you do not want the egg, you’ll have to wait for it to load, then scroll to find it on the lineage page, to enter a page that will let you yeet it.

A suggestion from me would be to add more info to the initial grab page.

Now! Abandoning dragons! The real reason I’m even here:

I actually think the “return to dragons” have a functionality if you are sorting your own eggs/hatchlings. However, why not both?

If you read the flavour text, dc is very much flavourfully role playing your actions.

Thus I see it as very natural for the abandon page to let you “return to your dragons” or “look around you”.

After all, you have to go to the ap to drop the egg. Flavour wise you are already where you originally found the egg, so both options should be presented.

Code wise, you only need two urls. The dynamic one being the one already there. 

Tbh, for dragons found in biomes, not ap, you can make an argument that “where you found them” is the biome. But since you have a 5h cd to yeet cb eggs, and they end up in the ap, ending up in the ap makes more sense to me than going back to your dragons in either scenario. (But please also keep the “return to dragons” for the quality of life improvements)

Someone also brought up the ads, but some browsers won’t refresh adds if you are returning to previous pages, as they were already in the cache. Here, sending the user back to ap will mean faster getting to the refresh.

So for the part about also “looking around you in ap”, that’s absolutely something I want, and can’t really find any downside with.

(Do tag me if you find one)

Edited by inghelene
“Ease of life” corrected to “quality of life”

Support on this for sure, particularly with picking up an egg taking you to the lineage page, and having "keep" and "discard" buttons. Perhaps after you select keep or discard, there could also be additional "back to the AP" or "take me to my scroll" buttons? Not sure how well that would work. Regardless, the current process is tedious and this would make a great qol improvement. 

My only issue with seeing the lineage page is, sometimes really long lineaged dragons cause a lot of lag to load the lineage. It would become frustrating as I always find I mistakenly click on those dragons XD I think for maybe super long lines, having it cap out to viewing gen5 or something (in this lineage view) but some obvious visual queue that its longer?

On 10/15/2023 at 1:30 PM, Lost_Unicorn said:

On 10/15/2023 at 1:36 PM, Zonnedauw said:

Wow, that's actually super useful! Thanks :D

You can actually copy the AP link and replace "abandoned" with "lineage" to view the lineage directly.  You don't even have to delete the random characters on the end.

Example:  https://dragcave.net/abandoned/SprVO/NzRMBNFj  --> https://dragcave.net/lineage/SprVO/NzRMBNFj

Edited by sorenna

Oh, please, please - streamline the process.  As it stands, RSI looms large - lol.  As for accidentally doing something if it doesn't have the protection of needing your password - since mine is saved and auto-populates the box, that isn't a great protection.  Only times I've nearly done something by accident is when my mobile is in my trouser back pocket and it somehow wakes up all by itself and starts dialling somebody or randomly opening settings . . . 🤣