antigod

Increase Freeze Cap with Trophy Level

Apologies in advance if this has been requested before.

I'm interested in collecting frozen hatchlings, but the cap on eighteen freezes per few weeks really stunts my ability to complete my collection of all stages of all genders for all breeds. Others have also noted similar difficulties in obtaining their frozen hatchies, even at higher trophy levels.

I think that a reason this happens is because users are incentivized to specifically not collect hatchlings before getting their platinum trophy, as they do not count towards their grown dragon count. In order to get your higher level trophies faster, putting off hatchling collection is ideal until you have higher base egg slots. Seems like this isn't the case, my bad. Don't want to spread misinformation.

One way to counteract the difficulty in collecting frozen hatchlings would be to increase the current cap for freezing hatchlings. As far as I know, the cap for freezing is the same across the board for all players (capped out at twenty per few weeks). (Correction: Freeze cap increases by two per trophy level.) Perhaps increasing this to 25 freezes for bronze, 30 freezes for silver, 35 freezes for gold, and 40 freezes for platinum could be helpful. Of course, these numbers are just suggestions, and I do not ultimately know what is best for the site. These numbers are just what were floating about my head as rough ideas for what something like this would look like when implemented.

For clarification purposes, I know why the freeze cap exists and am not suggesting that it be removed entirely. I am only suggesting/requesting that it be raised with the amount of grown dragons on one's scroll.

Edit 1: Changed diamond trophy to platinum trophy.
Edit 2: It looks like frozen hatchlings do count towards cumulative dragon count for trophies, so I edited the part with incorrect information.

Edit 3: Freeze cap actually increases by two per trophy level, so I corrected this.

Edited by antigod

1st question: There is a diamond trophy?

2nd thought: As far as I know, frozen hatchlings count toward trophy, so actually people with lower than Platinum tend to freeze whenever they can to get to trophy faster

3rd thought: I agree with raising the freezing limits. Or adding another trophy level would even better

1) My bad, I called it diamond instead of platinum. I'm used to mistakenly calling it diamond.
2) Thank you for telling me, I didn't realize they counted. :P Revising original post.
3) Additional trophy level is a cool idea. Especially if the freeze level is increased.

Oh, I didn't know that! Thank you for the correction, I have edited my post accordingly.

I really don't think we need another trophy level. And 18 freezes every 2 weeks ( for platinum) seems fair enough. At lower levels, you have fewer slots to work with anyway. But if there were to be a change, I'd rather see the cooldown go down to a week.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

Faster cooldown times would get what I'm requesting too, so I'd be down for that. Need some way to freeze all 200+ breeds, after all.

I'd be more interested in a new trophy than touching how Freezing caps work, honestly.

I'm in favor of shortening the cooldown to a week.

No thanks to a new trophy level, unless we get two new ones to bring our egg slots up to an even 10. 9 would drive me crazy just as 7 did before we got Platinum. But I'm not sure adding trophy level upon trophy level is a solution.

Yes, I remember the joy when we ended up with an even number of slots again ! 

Shortening the cooldown to a week would be wonderful. I know 18 seems like a lot to some people, but for those of us who have frozen armies or other frozen goals, 18 every 2 weeks can definitely be limiting. 

Freezing is the most limited action we have. A max of 9 hatchlings a week is not much fun to work with, especially if you change your mind about wanting freezing sprites after you've already made a lot of progress. Almost any other action can be helped out by trading or having friends (gathering BSAs, using BSAs, growing dragons quicker, getting a mass amount of limited time dragons, getting specific dragons from difficult pairs) and freezing is the only one that can't be aided in any way, so I support loosening freezing restrictions.

Please please please please increase the freeze caps or lower the cooldowns! I burn through 18 freezes in a few days since I've basically finished my adult collection and am now working on my hatchies. So I get to play for a little bit, and then I have to go and either wait until my slots come back, or I just waste time and collect albinos. Building armies for me (personally) isn't fun, so I'm only interested in playing when I can work on my collection. (I'm waiting on a slot to come back right now so I can freeze a hatchie I've got waiting >.>)

In addition, I'd love if the cooldown would actually tell you WHEN the slot is coming back, rather than just 'wait a few weeks'. It's so frustrating stunning and fogging a hatchling and then constantly checking to see if a slot will open up again before the bloomin' thing dies or grows up!

2 hours ago, Haloclimb said:

In addition, I'd love if the cooldown would actually tell you WHEN the slot is coming back, rather than just 'wait a few weeks'. It's so frustrating stunning and fogging a hatchling and then constantly checking to see if a slot will open up again before the bloomin' thing dies or grows up!

There is a list down to the day of the hatchlings you've frozen that are still taking up slots: https://dragcave.net/help/actions/#freeze

It would be more helpful if this was linked in the action, though, instead of on one of the many many links in the help page.

Bring the cool down time to 1 week is exactly the same limit with double the current limit. If I remember correctly current cool down time is 2 weeks isn't it? And looking at how the limit works, it counts your freezing for 14 days before, and the quantity you're left with is calculated by your current limit minus that count number. 

What I see is: 1 week cool down is cool, but compares to having double limit cool down at 2 weeks, what we have is double the time to prepare our hatchlings. Imagine you're busy so you can't freeze the max number you can before those slots get back again, you will completely lose it. 2 weeks mean you can bulk freezing (for example 36 (double current limit for platinum trophy) hatchlings then go afk for 2 weeks then back. If you're active you can freeze some over time too, which means you has nothing to lose compares to 1 week cool down with current limits (say 18 for platinum).

But double the limit is way too much of a adjustment so it's not gonna happen (at least right away) I think, same goes for halting the cool down time. Raising it a bit seems to be more viable.

Edited by Haki

?

18 every week = 36 every 2 weeks which works out exactly the same as 14 every two weeks. You don't lose the use of a pink because you haven't influenced anything since it came off CD.

I think 36 every 2 weeks is really enough. Let's not forget, if TJ made it 100 a week, there would still be people asking for it to be raised - and too high a limit means it is way to easy to raise trophy levels by mass freezing.

Yes, but I already have my platinum and freezing hatchings are the only thing left I need for scroll goals.  I barely play anymore because of this.  the original suggestion was to increase the limit WITH trophies so it wouldn't effect the people that still need to get those trophies, thus that is a non-argument.

72 frozens every month..... That would be - QUITE a lot...

228? x3 = 684 at the current rate would take 76 weeks assuming you managed to get all 18 every two weeks without any mis-genders or accidentally getting the wrong one. and that's one of the lower freeze goals.

And half that with a one week cool-down.

Getting the wrong one isn't an issue; you'd have to accidentally FREEZE the wrong one for that to be a problem.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

On 4/30/2019 at 2:04 PM, Shadowdrake said:

There is a list down to the day of the hatchlings you've frozen that are still taking up slots: https://dragcave.net/help/actions/#freeze

It would be more helpful if this was linked in the action, though, instead of on one of the many many links in the help page.

....why is this hidden away on the action page? How is this the first time I'm seeing this page???? Guh, the organization of some things on DC confuses the life out of me.

Good to know I'll be getting two slots back tommorow though. Just in time for me to use them on my two waiting hatchies!

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Getting the wrong one isn't an issue; you'd have to accidentally FREEZE the wrong one for that to be a problem.

Freezing wrong gender hatchlings is incredibly easy. I've got a dang colour-coded excel spreadsheet listing exactly what dragons I need (including hatchling genders) and I STILL freeze the wrong hatchlings. Mistakes unfortunately happen, and it sucks when you use your last slot on a hatchie and realise it was the wrong one >.>

(Out of curiosity, I tallied up the dragons I have left to collect. Excluding neglected and zombies, I have 7 more adults to collect, and 202 hatchlings- and this is after trying to pace out my adult collection, since collecting adults is a breeze.72 frozens a month would still, at minimum, be 3 months to freeze 202 hatchlings, and I would still be able to collect many more adults in three months than I would be able to collect hatchies! And thats not including getting slowed down by influencing eggs, by hatching alts, by using slots for adults instead of hatchies, freezing hatchlings for zombie fodder etc etc)

Oh right - freezing the wrong gender; I get that. I thought you meant the wrong BREED !

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Uh, freezing the wrong one is what I was talking about 

I meant freezing the wrong BREED, to be clearer !

18 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Oh right - freezing the wrong gender; I get that. I thought you meant the wrong BREED !

Yes, that's quite a bit harder- though I have definitely managed that with different colour variations! 🤣