-Frost-Fire-

ANSWERED:Make April Fool's Mints display upside down on all pages

I like the way Upside Down mints currently work. I wouldn't be upset if anything did change but right now I think it feels fine. Just a silly, fun joke that doesn't have a major impact on anything (personally I consider lineage view changes to be a big deal but that's me), which is what I feel a good prank should be.

Also agree completely with ADP - the lack of exclusive things compared to other games is what keeps me playing DC after 10 years. If I want to play a game with many one of a kind or limited time only things, I could play almost any other game. But DC is unique in this regard, and I'd be sad to see that change. It's the last "pet site" I still enjoy.

I kinda like that I don't know which is the wrong-way mint unless I click on it (or name it a telling name) It's like a little surprise all year long.

ADP nailed it. (OCD fist bump)

I adore TJ for making this space more and more inclusive, for all ages.

If RL, or crappy internet, gets in the way and I can't come here for a period of time, or miss an event, it's lovely-and a relief-to know I really can catch up, if needed.

I rather prefer the way this is handled now, firmly making them a joke breed (er, variant, I guess) rather than a sprite to collect.

I do own an upside-down Mint, but I recognise this is by chance. Yes, a 50% chance every year theoretically means you need about two years to get a Mint, on average, but as people who've had problems with GoN summoning despite having a lot of trios know, a high probability is still only a probability. ^_^ Yes, presumably at some point a probability (spread over a year) statistically reaches about the probability of catching a particular species (e.g. a Zyumorph) in the cave, which is a probability we're mostly all okay with, but the year-long wait is pretty prohibitive.

I'd just rather not make the joke dragon any more special than it already is. Right now it's funny, while cleverly side-stepping having any noticeable impact on gameplay. I think that's great.

That said, I am also not strongly opposed to this idea - if it ended up being done, I'd shrug and move on.

I’ve been thinking about this more and I think a good compromise would be showing Mints flipped only on the 1st of every month. Except April. Hahaha!

It would keep them from being a truly hot collector’s item (which I don’t think they should be, considering the random nature of their acquisition), while also giving a nice nod to people who are really fond of them. 

On 4/1/2019 at 11:18 PM, angelicdragonpuppy said:

@Pryanka @Camilo543HF myself (and others) have favored DC over other games, often ones with some very nice perks compared to DC, in no small part because they DON’T offer exclusives. I’m sick of the constant barrage of games offering *EXCLUSIVE* ~preorder!~ “BE HERE NOW OR MISS IT FOREVER” content. While I have more reason to hate such things than most (I have OCD, and try to avoid games like that because it causes me undue mental strain), I think the general logic—not wanting to feel like you can only get a half-baked version of something—applies to many others. I mean, it’s a collecting game. Why want less collecting options instead of more? You can make things hard to get and valuable without making them one-of-a-kind novelties. There’s more than enough exclusivity in the real world, I don’t want it in my games too.

... AHEM, sorry, it’s a bit of a talking point for me. For the topic itself I’m leaning slightly against. It’s not the end of the world, and I know people do have a good shot at getting one each year, but since it does boil down to luck based exclusivity (even if just silly flipped mint level exclusivity), it’s probably something I’d be happier without. Saying this as an owner of two flips.

I get your point about avoiding exclusivity-based games and have elected not to play certain other games because there are SO many seasonal/limited time releases that become extremely rare & valuable over time...so much so that if you didn't start playing that game at the beginning, you'll likely never catch up & obtain those things. I get it. I hate that too.

But having (literally) one single "exclusive" perk (which you can get 1/3rd of the time by chance every year, and with no money or in-game currency spent) hardly turns DC into an exclusivity-based game. And anyway, that point of discussion is more relevant to whether these upside-down mints should even exist or not. They already do, and as I see it, at least, this topic isn't really here to address whether they should or not.

The fact is - you collect them for the upside down sprites. I think it's only logical for it to display upside down consistently throughout the pages instead of you seeing it in a different direction every time you click to a different page. 

Edit: Omg i need to brush up on probabilities cuz reading through the thread, i see 1/4th, 1/2 and my own 1/3rd.

There were 3 outcomes: blame/nothing = upside down mint ; blame/blame = nothing ; nothing/nothing = regular mint. That's where I based my 1/3rd outcome - even though there are 2 choices, you only really have 1/3rd of a chance of getting the upside down mint. Amirite? 

Edited by Pryanka

Personally I think them showing up as upside down in lineage view would be great, I've felt almost cheated before on clicking what was named like an upside-down mint and have it be right way up. I thought this last year as well when I didn't have one, to me just like we can't all have a spriters alt but we can all (theoretically at least) have a dragon with a spriters alt in their lineage - it'd be nice if the upside-downs worked in the same way?

That being said, while I'd prefer a switch I definitely don't think it'd be super annoying if it was revealed that they will always be rightside up in lineage view forever no takebacks etc. Also a big fan of @angelicdragonpuppys idea of having them upside-down just sometimes, as more of a compromise to being always upside-down in lineage view.

My biggest concern for the sprite displaying everywhere mostly comes from the concern of eggs/hatchlings getting sick due to too many people viewing/clicking them. With the current system, people visit a scroll with one and it's just "Hey, they've got a mint" and are probably content to leave it alone unless they're curious if it's CB or bred.

However, if the sprite can be seen as upside-down just by visiting the scroll, we all know there are the jealous types who will ignore rules about posting the eggs of others in the hopes of killing it, or out of impatience to see the next stage. Perhaps if limited to the adults only, this could be avoided (not saying it would happen but...)

All in all though, I have no strong feelings one way or the other on the matter and don't mind either way.

Upside-down mints are just a fun little thing. I don't want them to become some important part of the trading economy as a result of their limited availability.

Thus, a number of their properties (only visible on view pages, untradable) are intentional.